Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Disneyland Opening Day

I had these pictures sent to me and they stated they were from opening day. I hadn't seen too many color shots from opening day. One of the three is obviously before opening day but I was told the TWA Rocket was installed just prior to opening day.

Can anybody confirm these are indeed from opening day? I know the Walt Disney pic and the TWA pic are easy to tell.....TWA obviously not opening day.

Re: Disneyland Opening Day

I don't know...but I love them!!
    To All Who Come to this Happy Place.... Welcome! Disneyland is Your Land!

• Quality not quantity

Any more? Pretty please with sugar on top?
    "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect."

-Mark Twain

•   
    • ALL DISNEY ALL THE TIME

Blog Entries

Either way awesome pictures

---------- Post added 04-12-2012 at 06:42 PM ----------

• Minion

I hate to be a negative nancy buttttt fantasyland just looked like a terrible place to be in the 1950's hanahahaha

This is a great photo. Just so much dirt, bare land, no trees. The DLRR goes along an asphalt backstage road for most of its Fantasyland-Tomorrowland journey. Amazing!

And does it look like they are building the Fantasyland Skyway Station?

Quote Originally Posted by oldhotelguy View Post

• "Always On The Move..."

I was there opening day, but I don't have any memory of it. I was 6 months old at the time. However, there may be pics in storage. I'll have to look.
    Quote Originally Posted by migo View Post
    I poop with joy!
    Best Quote...EVER!!!

Member of the Black Cat Owners Association #6

It is weird seeing it without the Matterhorn, or even moderately mature vegetation. Crazy.

Out of curiosity, does anybody know how quickly it took for Harbor Blvd to grow and flourish with tacky motels?

• Vidia's Minion

Quote Originally Posted by TylerDurden View Post
    I hate to be a negative nancy buttttt fantasyland just looked like a terrible place to be in the 1950's hanahahaha

Maybe compared to what we have now but to what they had back then I'm sure it was grand

Quote Originally Posted by goldenstate5 View Post
    Out of curiosity, does anybody know how quickly it took for Harbor Blvd to grow and flourish with tacky motels?
    If any body is interested, I can dig up some overheads through the years which should show the area developing. It takes time to generate posts

Quote Originally Posted by oldhotelguy View Post
    Can anybody confirm these are indeed from opening day? I know the Walt Disney pic and the TWA pic are easy to tell.....TWA obviously not opening day.
    It may depend on which opening day you're referring to--the July 17 Press/Dedication Day, on which Disneyland also actually operated with tens of thousands of invited guests (and therefore could be considered its opening day or birthday, as it is today), or the July 18 Opening Day (official for a long time) when Disneyland began operating as a business for the first time. Clearly the picture with Walt was from July 17 1955, as you and most of the rest of us already know. I couldn't tell you for sure when the first picture of the park's entrance was taken, but for what it's worth, it looks like a normal operating day, whereas on July 17 there probably would have been support vehicles for the press and other things visible out in front, as I've seen in some pictures (then again, maybe they were off to the side ). I also vaguely recall a very similar picture--perhaps the same one--that somebody claimed was taken on July 18. I'm not sure about any of this, so don't treat what I've said here as authoritative in any way.

The photo of Fantasyland that you posted separately is a very early photo (first year, based on the unthemed condition of what would soon become Storybook Land), but it was definitely not taken on July 17 because the paint scheme of the pirate ship was different on that day (and for some unknown number of days afterward). Actually, I don't think that it even had a paint scheme--my understanding is that Disney didn't have enough time to do a real paint job by July 17, so they hastily painted practically the whole thing one color (red, I believe).

Quote Originally Posted by TylerDurden View Post
    Aside from the addition of It's a Small World and the Matterhorn, Fantasyland didn't really change much until 1983, so do you mean that whole period of time, or Fantasyland's surroundings when Disneyland was still basically being built (even well after opening)?

Quote Originally Posted by Mojave View Post
    This is a great photo. Just so much dirt, bare land, no trees. The DLRR goes along an asphalt backstage road for most of its Fantasyland-Tomorrowland journey. Amazing!
    It's hard to believe, alright, looking at how things are today, but for anybody reading this who doesn't know, the studio, their creditors (Bank of America), partners (ABC television), and Walt Disney himself (second mortgage on his summer house to pay for his trains and steamboat) were tapped out building what Walt knew would be an incomplete Disneyland, which even after accounting for inflation was built for a small fraction of the budget of the original DCA, which most people would consider grossly underfunded itself. Disney just couldn't raise more capital--Disneyland would have to do this itself right from the start. Times and economics sure have changed, haven't they?

Quote Originally Posted by Mojave View Post
    And does it look like they are building the Fantasyland Skyway Station?
    Yeah, we can't be absolutely sure from this photo, but it looks as though they've cleared some land for the Skyway to Tomorrowland station. If this is the case, then this photo must have been taken sometime between November 1955 to early 1956.

I just received a bunch of photos from opening day from a person who contacted me. I had never seen the majority of these and do not know their source. I am downloading them now and will post them shortly. Some great shots!!

---------- Post added 04-18-2012 at 12:21 PM ----------

Here we go now I have quite a few so be patient. Wow, most of these, I have never seen before!

---------- Post added 04-18-2012 at 12:22 PM ----------

---------- Post added 04-18-2012 at 12:23 PM ----------

---------- Post added 04-18-2012 at 12:24 PM ----------

---------- Post added 04-18-2012 at 12:25 PM ----------

---------- Post added 04-18-2012 at 12:26 PM ----------

Still downloading have about 40 more!

that billboard with Disneyland written on it is pretty pathetic haha that might not even convince me to go there.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast