Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Disappearing/Reappearing

Do you clap at the end of Soarin?

I'm a big dork..I always do. And I'm never alone..there's usually quite a few others clapping along with me. Sometimes, there's a ton of applause..sometimes, there's cheering. But, there's always at least some clapping. Do you join me in Dorkdom and clap along?

•   
    • RCMC: Java Junkie

Re: Do you clap at the end of Soarin?

I clap as well, pretty much every ending. But I think during my latest visit I didn't clap one of the times I rode it.

Yep I hear ya, sometimes a ton of people clap and sometimes just a few. But I would say some sort of clapping is involved at the end of each ride.

• I'm wishing

Yes, I do! I love it when there is a lot of applause, but I'm ok as long as I'm not the only one.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

No, but I always say hello to Tinker Bell.
    My Next WDW Vacation is Aug 18, 2014 - Aug 23, 2014
    Pop Century Resort

yes. and I ohhh and ahh like I've never seen it before. Love.
    To All Who Come to this Happy Place.... Welcome! Disneyland is Your Land!

• Ready for takeoff

No, but I clap during the golf shot.

• Minion

Only if other people start clapping first.

• Still Dizzy

I clap every time, without fail. Love that ride.

I love it when people clap for things that aren't normally clapped at. I join in once others are doing it, but I don't have the courage to actually start the clapping.

•   
    • Support MC - Go GOLD!

Quote Originally Posted by FolsomFan View Post
    No, but I clap during the golf shot.
    I look to see who's new on the ride by the jump they make in their chair when it happens.
    Quote by Al:
    To that end I'd like the Internet community to join me in reminding the Disney company that "it all started with Walt." As you can see below we've created some T-shirts, plus a few simple graphics that you can copy and paste into your websites to let folks know how you feel.
    -Al Lutz

I'm gonna get killed in here for saying this...but here it goes *takes deep breath*

I don't clap because I think the ride is boring.

There. I said it!
    This is my signature. There are many like it but this one is mine.

• Insomniac

Can I ask a serious question? Why are you clapping? None of the imagineers are there. The only thing that the CM's do is push some buttons and check your seat belts. Not saying CM's don't deserve a thank you but it just seems silly to me. It is like when people clap at the end of a movie. Who are they clapping for? The actors, directors, ect aren't there. The employees only sell you popcorn and turn on the projector. Are you clapping for them making your popcorn so well? Are you clapping for the projector not breaking? Seriously though it just seems a little odd to me. Not that's have a problem with it, I just find it interesting what entertains people.
    Check out my Disney inspired creations.

https://picasaweb.google.com/110319393135337100862

Quote Originally Posted by Bronco21 View Post
    Can I ask a serious question? Why are you clapping? None of the imagineers are there. The only thing that the CM's do is push some buttons and check your seat belts. Not saying CM's don't deserve a thank you but it just seems silly to me. It is like when people clap at the end of a movie. Who are they clapping for? The actors, directors, ect aren't there. The employees only sell you popcorn and turn on the projector. Are you clapping for them making your popcorn so well? Are you clapping for the projector not breaking? Seriously though it just seems a little odd to me. Not that's have a problem with it, I just find it interesting what entertains people.
    I totally see the point of your question, I've wondered that same thing while at movies theaters. But I'll admit I've joined in on the clapping at the end of Soarin'. I think its not so much a clap to praise the Imagineers, but a way for everyone to communicate their common agreement that "hey, what we just experienced was awesome".

Yes, I clap for probably the same reason disneyland55 mentioned above, I think it's a great ride. It's probably no surprise that my favorite ride in Disneyland is Peter Pan's Flight and my favorite one in California Adventures is Soarin'.

• You're late for TEAAA!!!!

As said above, clapping for rides and movies and the like where the artists aren't in attendance is simply to acknowledge your enjoyment for something. It's one of the joys of a "shared experience" that you literally can ONLY get in a crowd setting. You can't get a "shared experience" by yourself on your couch, so being able to experience something you enjoy with a group of other people warrants positive recgonition among your crowd. It's kinda like going to a concert. Why do that when you can just listen to the music at home? The band will just stand there and you're more than likely dozens, if not hundreds, of feet away from the musicians. If it's for the special "live" variations they do on their music, it'll just be on youtube the next day. However, you're in a crowd full of likeminded people who share your enthusiasm for the band. You're not only congratulating the band but also cheering with your fellow fans of how awesome the song was you just heard. Surely most people would react very differently if they were literally the only person in the crowd, as it's much more awkward to be watching a group of people, singing along, jumping up and down and cheering like a maniac if you're just standing there all by yourself. It's a group-think thing too, so it's a lot easier to join in or be apart of something than start it. So all-in-all, it's fun in your shared experiences to acknowledge that yes, this was an experience we had together and to react to it. You're more than welcome to voice your opinion if it's in distaste with a very loud "boo," or you could show your enthusiasm and cheer. It's also easy to start conversation with not only your group of friends who reacted, but people not in your group as well based on their response. Say you saw someone booing visciously once something was over, and you felt the same way. Sharing experiences is warranted enough reason to start a friendship, right? "Wasn't that just one of the worst movies ever?" "Yup, I want my money back." Or: "that has to be my favorite ride of all time." "I love it too, but I think there's another simulator ride even better at the park next door." Or even: "you didn't like that?! C'mon, it was amazing!" "You're crazy!" One could choose whichever way they want to continue these conversations.

So why clap/boo/react when the artists aren't present?
    - To share your feelings with those around you in an enthusiastic way.
    - To start conversation or make friends.
    - Because great things need a joyous noise once it's over.
    - It's fun.

Shared experiences, they're one of a kind!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast