Picture Taking Question

There are tons of wonderful pictures posted here of the Disneyland Resort. I have seen many pictures where there are no people in them. How do you get shots with absolutely no people in them? At what hour of the day is it best to get shots where there is no one? Or is there software that removes people from the photos?

• Nerd

Re: Picture Taking Question

Rainy days. early mornings, late at night when park is about to close
    Hidden Mickey - Tower of Terror

Hidden Mickey's here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/whatzup...7623565921220/
    Check out my Wal't Apartment tour here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/whatzup/sets/72157625183415995/

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

Basically, no, it's not photoshopping all the people out

Basic conditions for such: waiting in a smaller area (New Orleans Square backstreets, for example, or a ride queue) for people to pass by, and quickly taking photo right then. Or, enter the park right at rope drop and shoot as you go, before areas fill up, people still spread out...or walk out of the park as one of the last people at night. It's pretty much all timing and luck, really, waiting for shots you know you want or knowing when areas will be empty (waiting areas when a show lets in/lobby clears, or the castle courtyard before fireworks, non peak times for food locations, etc etc)

• Minion

Like Regions Beyond said, it is a matter of timing and even more waiting. I've had to wait over 2 hours in one spot to get a shot with no one in it.

If you are using a DSLR and a tripod there is one other method but it still works best towards the end of the night.

I set up my camera on a Gorilla Pod on a trash can in Tomorrowland. It was still an hour before park closing and it was full of people. I set the aperture at F/18 and ISO at 100.
    I took a series of 5 photos with shutter speeds ranging from 15 seconds all the way to 2 minutes. There were times that I had to wait inbetween frames for people to move and not be standing in the frame. Then I processed them all as a HDR and it eliminated all the people. It probably took a total of 15 minutes to get those 5 photos, but that was mostly because of one lady who was wearing a white jacket was standing in front of me yelling into her phone for 10 minutes.

This is the final photo.

Reflections of Tomorrow... by Ring of Fire Hot Sauce 1, on Flickr
    Life is far too short for bland food!

Flickr page: www.flickr.com/ringoffirehotsauce
    You Tube: www.youtube.com/ringoffireguy
    Facebook: http://profile.to/michaelgreening/
    Twitter: http://twitter.com/RingofFire1
    Personal website: www.mikeanddianes.com

•   
    • Sponge & A Rusty Spanner

Sometimes depending upon the lighting, you can get such a shot just by setting a very long exposure time and putting two or three filters on your lens, even without doing the HDR processing.
    Fight On! Beat the Bulldogs!

Tom Chaney Memorial Debate Lounge Quote of the Week:

Quote Originally Posted by Motorboat Cruiser View Post
    Did you also call out Anthony Hopkins for not being a cannibal in real life?
    This device kills fascists.

What is the HDR process?

Quote Originally Posted by steamboatpete View Post
    Sometimes depending upon the lighting, you can get such a shot just by setting a very long exposure time and putting two or three filters on your lens, even without doing the HDR processing.
    I used to do this all the time back in the film era -- but it still works with digital. Just set the camera on a sturdy support (trash cans are plentiful and a nice height!), adjust the camera's setting so that the shutter is open for as long as it can be -- at least 2 seconds, but the longer the better. And voila! The light from any stationary object will accumulate enough to register, while people walking around won't show so much. Doesn't completely remove every person, but enough get sufficiently "shmeared" that they're not as noticeable. The funny part is seeing "through" someone wearing various colors, but if they're wearing white tennies, those show up in a succession. Kinda "ghostly".

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TTFN92 View Post
    What is the HDR process?

High dynamic range imaging - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

• Bring back the Keelboats!

I think some of the Rainy Days shots that have been posted here in MiceChat are some of the finest I have seen. It is a good time for little to no people. I have had lousy success getting people-less shots. I came close in CalAd during the rain and shooting from the main walkway into the Soarin' area. There were only a few people in white ponchos quick-walking. They came out ghostly and made for a nice shot! It is blurry, but I still like it.

Name:  DCA_Rain_Soarin.jpg
Views: 135
Size:  167.3 KB

Hidden Mickey - Historical fiction about Walt that mixes action and mystery with time travel and fantasy! Tweens to adults will enjoy these novels. And now, three gamebooks to play in Disneyland, DCA and WDW Magic Kingdom!

Check out my six action/adventure novels about Walt's lost diary and his epic quest. Visit my blog page!

Sometimes Dead Men DO Tell Tales!

Thanks for all the helpful tips everyone

I tried a couple of times to wait for people to leave, but sometimes when I'm in the park I have the attention span of a moth and I will see something that catches my attention and I walk away or I say that I'll try again later and forget.

I will try the longer exposure time trick. I played around with this on my camera once so it will be fun to try to use it in "real life." I will also try harder to find moments when there are less people around.

Right when the park opens is when I get the best shots with no one around. I went this last Sun morn and main street was empty right when the park opened. If you head right to NOS when the park opens, you can get good shots of the whole area with no people in it because everyone rushes to get on the rides.