Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

• Buena Vista St. & Red Car

First Resort Starbucks to be in DCA

I knew I loved DCA! Disney California Adventure, the park that is already home to a better option of food choices (IMO), fresh sourdough bread, fine wine and beer, will not only be welcoming a fine dining experience with Carthay Circle Theater and a sweet treat with Ghirardelli Soda Fountain and Chocolate Shop, to it's options this summer but also now a better coffee experience with a Starbucks Cafe being incorporated into the 1920's LA streetscape in Fiddler, Fifer, and Practical Cafe on BVS!

As a coffee aficionado, I'm very glad to hear that some quality coffee will FINALLY be brought into the resort. I know many will have their qualms with it being Starbucks but I think it's a great choice. I'm probably a bit biased as I've worked with Starbucks for four years now (great job that's gotten me through college), am a learning coach, and a coffee master with the company. It's really a great company to work for that gives back a lot and serves as a role model for ethically sourced coffee and green corporate practice. I could go on about the company, their coffee (coffee master training was SO in depth about this) and such, since many seem to have this stigma against it, but I'll stick to Starbucks-Disney talk.

I really enjoy Starbucks and would probably have enjoyed something like Peet's more (which is more to my tasting) but I see why Starbucks is a great choice for Disney in that it's a quality, recognizable brand and has a logo that honestly can be worked into different types of environment. The Siren logo is based off a 16th-century Norse woodcut of a twin-tailed siren and can EASILY be reworked to fit the look of a cafe from another time period such as the 1920's, for the signage and such. Sounds like they are trying to incorporate the logo subtly into the themed environment. Even the Starbucks name (which I'm assuming won't be too featured) is based on literature, Moby Dick to be specific. Starbuck was chief mate on the Pequod. I definitely welcome this with open arms and see it no differently than all the other brand, corporate sponsorship throughout the parks that have been there since the very beginnings of Disneyland.

Here's Al on it. MiceChat Round-Up - MiceAge.com

The first in-park Starbucks is now slated to open this June on Buena Vista Street with the re-launched Disney California Adventure. Starbucks will take up residence in the Fiddler, Fifer and Practical Café, as an odd hybrid of a regular Starbucks and a Disney-run operation. While the Fiddler, Fifer and Practical Café (dubbed the Pig Café by Anaheim’s Foods group) will maintain all the great 1920’s theming and architecture already shown to the public, subtle Starbucks logos in rubbed brass and period-appropriate signage will be added near the entrance doors. It won’t scream Starbucks with green awnings and bright logos like your neighborhood location, but once anyone gets within sight of the front door they’ll be able to spot the logo and tell that it’s a Starbucks. (Now you know why Bob Iger decreed that the huge tree already planted in front of the Pig Café be moved over a few feet at big expense, as he knows this new corporate alliance needs to go well and the subtle Starbucks logos can’t be too hidden.)

Once inside the Pig Café, the restaurant will operate like a traditional Starbucks during the morning hours just after the park opens. It’s at that time of day that the four separate espresso machines each staffed by a Starbucks-trained barista will be going full blast (where most of Starbucks’ “big” stores only have two machines), and the refrigerated cases near the front will offer a selection of Starbucks own grab-n-go breakfast and pastry items. Later in the day the location will switch over solely to a Disney created menu for lunch and dinner options, while Starbucks espresso drinks will still be offered through park closing. Over a hundred seats at a few dozen tables inside and out at the Pig Café should soak up most of the lunch and dinner crowd, although it’s expected that the morning business will be mostly to-go orders as people stream into the park and head to Cars Land with their Venti Latte and Danish.

While DCA jumps head first into the theme park Starbucks business, neither TDA nor Burbank thinks it should end there. The refurbished food locations on Main Street USA at Disneyland are also in the sights of TDA’s Project Orange team for the future, but the Pig Café location will be the first to open this June. Starbucks, for their part, is more hesitant and will be keeping a close eye on the Pig Café this June to make sure their product is being served correctly before they agree to more theme park locations. - Al

• Minion

Re: First Resort Starbucks to be in DCA

I agree this is good for the park and I am glad to see it will be a Disney version of the Starbucks rather then just a starbucks franchise
    BGood! It's not just my motto its my name!

I think once word gets out, Starbucks will be floored with customers...no green awning/logo need be previlant. I for one will be completely looking forward to this. With Ghiradelli offering tasty Hot Chocolates and Starbucks with their yummy Espresso Drinks and Teas DCA will be a great place to be.

I am a little sad that it won't be in DTD. I would have loved to have seen one closer to the hotels (for those that stayed there). Knowing the "Starbucks on every corner" mentality though, I would not count one entirely out of DTD.

• The "goat trick" RULES!!!

I'm a little confused. Is all this talk about an actual, full scale Starbucks with the blended drinks, syrups and iced teas??? Or is this going to be a "Starbucks express" type of thing, with just coffee?

I ask because I don't like coffee. I really couldn't tell the difference between good coffee, bad coffee, and mud. But, I do like the iced teas and with the Starbucks card one can get free refills. Something I don't really see happening at a Disney park.

• Indiana Scott

Seems like this would take up a lot of room. After all, won't they have to put another one 50' away on an opposing corner?

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • .-- . .-.. -.-. --- -- .

I have no problem with this. I'm not a coffee expert, I enjoy a cup now and then, but Starbucks make complete sense. They are by far the most recognized name in the world of coffee service and Disney has partnered or used large sponsors many times (McDonalds, Sunkist, Coca-Cola, Monsanto, just to name a few.) I believe Maxwell House even had a prominent spot on Main Street up through the 1980's.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalFan View Post
    Even the Starbucks name (which I'm assuming won't be too featured) is based on literature, Moby Dick to be specific. Starbuck was chief mate on the Pequod.
    Umm no, Starbuck was a Lieutenant attached to the Battlestar Galactica.
    Stalking is when two people go for a long romantic walk together but only one of them knows about it.

It should do real well, but I can see long lines for sure. Look how long it takes to get a regular coffee at some locations in the park! Although I do think they need the trained professionals running the equipment to keep the standards up. Although how hard can it be? I make my own Starbucks coffee all the time...

Name:  Starbucks-at-home2.jpg
Views: 732
Size:  39.5 KB

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

Finally, man too them long enough. As long as it "fits" theme then I'm fine with any type of outside food or other services especially if they do it better then Disney

• Captain Pineapple

Here's what I posted in the DCA Project tracker:

YAY STARBUCKS!

I am so excited, and hate having to drive before going into the parks to get good (well better than what is in the parks) coffee.

And I will atest, as a former CM, that yes, CMs are NOT trained properly in using the espresso machines in the park. I won't even BEGIN to tell you the horror stories I encountered. I was so stunned on how people made drinks and how I was trained to make them... Actually I wasn't even trained, I was just thrown back there and verbally told.

So I welcome any oversight of training, and hope they remove any not-Starbucks-trained espresso machines for that reason.

• Banned User

This reeks of corporate scheming rather than sound decision making. We all know that Disney doesn't do the best job with coffee so they went with Starbucks(?). LOL!!! Hilarious.

Surely, Starbucks coffee isn't bad. Neither is it good. It's a decent Americanized brand of burnt coffee. I wish it had more flavorful coffee instead of syrup flavors. It gives people a reason to wait in line if they will allow you to bring it in line (I hope). Disney sees the profit, but they seem to enjoy cutting corners with service. Hopefully, the coffee quality won't suffer despite the already sorry coffee sold in Starbuck.

• Non-Minion

Will it be run by Starbucks employees? or Cast Members?
    "If you were thinking, you wouldn't have thought that"

• -

I am so happy. It sounds like there will only be subtle references and not blatant “in-your-face” Starbuck’s references. If I am still able to get my venti carmel Frappuccino, everything will be perfect!

Quote Originally Posted by christianAdam View Post
    Will it be run by Starbucks employees? or Cast Members?
    The way that I read it, it appears to be Disney employees who go through Starbuck's training.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• Disney Fan 4 Life

I could care less as long as the coffee in the Market House on Main Street stays under three bucks with free refills all day. Starbucks coffee doesn't taste any worse then what is served now. The pity is, it doesn't taste better either.
    Here You Leave Today and Enter the World of Yesterday, Tomorrow, and Fantasy.

“To all who come to this happy place; welcome. Disneyland is your land. Here age relives fond memories of the past...and here youth may savor the challenge and promise of the future. Disneyland is dedicated to the ideals, the dreams and the hard facts that have created America...with the hope that it will be a source of joy and inspiration to all the world.” - Walt Disney, Disneyland Opening Day Speech 1955

View my new Budget Disney Blog here: http://budgetdisneylandresort.blogspot.com/

• Banned User

Wow, the tone of that 'column.' Just yikes. In any case, looking forward to getting a decent latte at the parks.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast