Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• Very Helpful Old Feller

Well, reckon my heart's in Texas but right now I live down N'Olins way...

Re: Feel like I'm the only one who likes Its a Small World

Howdy Pards,

No...I'm the only one who loves It's a Small World...all these other people in line think they are lining up for Pirates of the Caribbean...or something... Can't figure how so many folks got that idea...these lines are long! Way too long.

Anyways...the more people we can get to avoid this attraction, the shorter the lines will be for the rest of us.

Sayin' that just cause all the charaters are dressed in white at the end that the ride is somehow racist is carryin the thing a wee bit too far though. The whole ride is designed to celebrate the children of the whole world afterall...that don't sound particularly racist to me...

But, I kinda wish more folks would visit the park with their noses stuck way up in the air...we don't want to go on Splash Mountain...we might get wet. We don't want to go on Pirates...we've seen that before. We don't want to fly over Neverland with Peter Pan...the line's too long. We don't want to go on Space Mountain...it's dark in there. In fact, it would be a good thing for these folks with nasal elevation issues to just stay home. Makes the line for citrus swirl much shorter...and they wouldn't like that stuff anyways...

Adios for now. Talk to ya on down the trail.

Wild Ol' Dan

The ride is very easy to dislike for a number of reasons. Famously repetitive song. Cheesy animatronics. Lots of holes in the theming(those giant black curtains for backdrops being pretty crude and ugly). Lots of 2D/plywood decorations. The kind of dumbed down multicultural message too simple for even a kindergartener.

Yeah it sort of does suck when you really look at it. but if any of that is going through your mind on that ride, you're doing it wrong.
    In the quest for quality, I have no problem with the characters footing the bill.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

I too love "it's a small world" [sans characters], song and everything.

I have read an article from Ethnomusicology Forum regarding the imperialist notions throughout the song and attraction [Disneyland Paris]. The biggest issue was the use of only a Western musical form. The other criticisms, such as reducing cultural differences in their presentation, seems like one could realize quite easily why this was done by just listening to the song or taking a happy cruise.

It's funny, but the song doesn't "afflict" me like it does others. I like to think that from a young age, after fairly frequent (twice a year) sojourns to the Park, I was effectively "inoculated" against the earworm! LOL

I love the soundtrack -- especially for the way (as someone else mentioned) it seamlessly blends various styles and instruments.

• One More Day

How could anyone not like this

Last edited by yoda1138777; 04-20-2012 at 09:05 AM.

• Minion

I love it, too. I rode the WDW version three times on my last visit. I consider it one of the most beautiful works of twentieth-century American art out there. And yes, it makes me cry, too!

When I was a kid, I went back and forth between being creeped out and just not getting it. It was only as an adult that it really started to get to me both esthetically and emotionally.

You're not alone... my husband and I love this ride unabashedly. It's usually one of the first rides we do, and ALWAYS the last ride we go on before we leave. It is my husband's favorite ride, and has been since he was a small child (YEARS and YEARS ago, LOL).

I have to admit, though, neither of us like the addition of the Disney characters to the ride. It's tacky, cheap, and smacks of the evils of synergy. (and the added music is intrusive and doesn't work)

We went to Walt Disney World last year (first time for my husband since he went the year the Magic Kingdom opened) and rode MK's iasw. He says the only thing he remembered about that entire first trip to MK was that he didn't like their iasw. LOL, he still didn't care for it!
    Madge, obsessive Disney freak!
    How everyone sounds singing "Let It Go"

I like it's a small world, it's a great ride to sit and relax your legs and cool down and finish your popcorn.

• Seeker of Fun

I really enjoy it as well. I also listen to the music quite frequently while driving!
    Stockholder and Walt Disney Autograph holder!!

• Support MC - Go GOLD!

Love the ride. Also touches the heart.
    Love the holiday version too.
    Now just take out the "Where's Waldo" mentality that was added a few years back.
    It's about children of the world coming together (world peace/love your neighbor), no Disney characters coming together.
    Quote by Al:
    To that end I'd like the Internet community to join me in reminding the Disney company that "it all started with Walt." As you can see below we've created some T-shirts, plus a few simple graphics that you can copy and paste into your websites to let folks know how you feel.
    -Al Lutz

• We Want The Redhead

I first visited 'small world' in 1964 at the New York World's Fair. That's going on 50 years of visits and I'm still not tired of it.
    First Visit at the age of 12, July 17, 1968.
    First Ride, The Disneyland and Santa Fe Railroad.
    BRING BACK THE PEOPLE MOVER!

it's a small world is cute, but...oh dear, I haven't told the story of my grandfather getting stuck in it for three hours with the song playing the entire time, haven't I?

It's kind of a sensitive topic in my family nowadays thanks to that

• MC Blogger

Blog Entries

I love it- one of my favorites.
    Mark

Disney parks and art, movies, music, more... Over 1, 000 Posts!
    www.InsightsandSounds.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by mylothelostboy View Post
    it's a small world is cute, but...oh dear, I haven't told the story of my grandfather getting stuck in it for three hours with the song playing the entire time, haven't I?

It's kind of a sensitive topic in my family nowadays thanks to that
    LOL!

I really like the ride. I don't think there's anyone in my family that doesn't like it. Well, maybe my BIL doesn't like the song but he still goes on it. I also like the addition of the characters. All the dolls in IASW are so cute and I have my favorites that I've had since I was a little girl- the ones from Holland sitting in the tulips . As for the racist thing, that's a bunch of hooey. Give me a break. The ride is in America where we speak English. If the ride was in another country I would expect it to be in the language of the country it was in. Also, white is the color of purity. Everyone in the ending scene is equal. They all wear their native clothing but in white. I love it. It's very beautiful.

• Mickeyfan3

I love it. Always have. Always will.
    Counting the minutes......next trip ??????!!!! (to far away!!!)
    That is current Puppy in Training for Guide Dogs for the Blind, TIKI!!!!
    Hoofprints On the Heart Adaptive Riding Center

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast