Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Grad Nite Madness?!?!

I know ya'll been talking about the grad nite dates and it appears to me that they will be in the park during regular hours ... this is nothing but bad news to me as we're celebrating my little girl's 6th birthday on May 31st through June 2nd, we went out of our way to ditch school and work trying to avoid the memorial day crowd as well as trying to beat the beginning of summer/local park goers. The sky high Disneyland Hotel rates $$$$ is what has me thinking, i would be very upset about spending all this money on accommodations for an overcrowded park. I would appreciate it if any of you would give the insight on the details and honest opinion on whether i should cancel our reservation or take a gamble by visit the park at this time. (it wont break my kids heart since this is a birthday surprise and she is unaware)

Re: Grad Nite Madness?!?!

Yes, the Grads will now be able to be in the parks all day long. They get park hoppers and two fast passes to use during the day when the park is open to the public. I don't think it will be too bad during the day, but once the sun goes down, I would be prepared!

I've heard it's only 6,000 extra people, but I'm not certain.
    Disneyland and Haunted Mansion fan boy!

Universal Studios Hollywood Employee

• Minion

Schools will be attending at their leisure during the day, so they won't be all arriving at the same time. If you avoid the teen hot-spots, you might completely miss us Grad Nite-goers.

Quote Originally Posted by ohmyjustin View Post
    Schools will be attending at their leisure during the day, so they won't be all arriving at the same time. If you avoid the teen hot-spots, you might completely miss us Grad Nite-goers.
    My school never went to the blast off thing at DCA because they are stupid and think its cute to have it the same night as graduation. So I doubt EVERY school is going to be there all day. Besides, they spent the money for a day ticket just like you did.
    In the quest for quality, I have no problem with the characters footing the bill.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Pinrar View Post
    My school never went to the blast off thing at DCA because they are stupid and think its cute to have it the same night as graduation. So I doubt EVERY school is going to be there all day. Besides, they spent the money for a day ticket just like you did.
    Well, it's different this year in that the night ends at 3 AM instead of going all night, so schools might be more enticed to come earlier. I'm not saying that the OP shouldn't hit up Space Mountain, Thunder Mountain, etc., but I'd bet there is a higher concentration of Grad Nite students in those areas. Considering it's the little girl's 6th birthday, I'd think they wouldn't be around those areas much anyway, so I'm encouraging them to go, but be wary of thrill rides.

• Fantasmic! Fanatic

I wouldn't think it would be too bad. I went last year. If you act bad then about 10 Security CM's surround you and lead you on the parade route to jail. (I know this since we were waiting in line at Matterhorn for quite a while and saw a few "parades" go by.) The lines weren't that long honestly, most people were dancing. So I wouldn't expect too much of a "hit" on the lines. But definitely crowded around the DJ's.
    It will all just depend upon what schools are there that day. Some are certainly going to be much worse than others, and some days more schools went than other days. Good luck! Have fun! Should be fine.

We are going June 2nd through June 8th and worried about the same thing. We are from out of town, so don't get to Disneyland very often. My brother-in-law called Disney last week about it. He was told 7,000 to 8,000 at most and that none of the grad nites that week were sold out. Also, Disney has to know from the schools what time they plan on arriving (for security, staffing issues) and most aren't coming until the evening. We'll see what happens, I am crossing my fingers.

• socal native

Unfortunately, it is hard to say how the changes to this year's Grad Nite set up will impact the average guest experience. In the past, some schools from out of state or further away were there during the days and then stayed into the night. The local schools generally came for just the Nite part of the event, which was 11pm-6am.

This year DL has changed the set up to give schools the option to come from morning opening and then stay until 3am. DL, based on information on their site, is open to the general public until either 10pm or 11pm on the upcoming Grad Nites. That means on those days the park closes about an hour or two earlier than is might otherwise. So you won't be losing too much time (but with a 6 yr old, she might be ready for bed after a full day. Or you might be!). The unknown factor here is how crowded it will be during the day, and how this will impact your enjoyment. The crowd level is next to impossible to guess; as is how the crowds (amount, attitudes and behavior) will affect your visit.

I don't want to recommend you cancel your trip. But there are so many variables to consider that have no answers right now, because there haven't been any of these new Grad Nites yet. I will say that my school will not be arriving at our May date until after the school day ends here. Our students will not be there in the morning, but arriving around 4-4:30ish. According to the literature we have just received, there will be a security check-in at the bus. We probably won't be in the park until 6-7. Another thing you might consider, especially if you are booking an awesome deal is that you can sometimes change your dates. I have had friends book Disney hotels, but due to illness or family issues they have been able to change the dates of their visit without penalty. Disney has been flexible about that. If you are concerned, you might be able to change your dates. At this point, you might be best served to wait until after we begin to hear reports of how the early May dates work out.

• Minion

I dropped by DL last Friday evening around 8 PM (after visiting a friend in nearby Buena Park) and ran into a bit of a traffic backup in the parking structure. There was a sign flashing "Grad Nite" so I thought "oh no" but, really, it wasn't noticeably busier in the park than I'd seen it before.

Quote Originally Posted by Pinrar View Post
    My school has always done this too so we'd leave at 9 from Burbank, and be in the park by hopefully 11. This year, they're doing the same thing. My GF is going. I told her that I'm not going to spend $80 to spend 4 hours in the park when we can go the next day for free, which we are doing as well.

• Bring back the Keelboats!

When did this start? Granted, my Grad Night was in 1974 and we traveled by bus ALL DAY from Modesto to get there. It was so nice to have the park to ourselves all night and then sleep on the long ride home in the morning.

Are there certain days that are Grad days?

Hidden Mickey - Historical fiction about Walt that mixes action and mystery with time travel and fantasy! Tweens to adults will enjoy these novels. And now, three gamebooks to play in Disneyland, DCA and WDW Magic Kingdom!

Check out my six action/adventure novels about Walt's lost diary and his epic quest. Visit my blog page!

Sometimes Dead Men DO Tell Tales!

^ This is the first year. It's the transition year because next year it's only going to be at DCA.

•   
    • ALL DISNEY ALL THE TIME

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bigcatrik View Post
    I dropped by DL last Friday evening around 8 PM (after visiting a friend in nearby Buena Park) and ran into a bit of a traffic backup in the parking structure. There was a sign flashing "Grad Nite" so I thought "oh no" but, really, it wasn't noticeably busier in the park than I'd seen it before.
    I was there , the traffic was because the police closed the mickey & friends parking structure when they sourounded a car and drew thier wepons , still not sure what happened but i was at the parking booth when it all went down. it was crowed but not much more than any friday that I have been there for. i go quite often on friday
    Im here for fun and info not be a bully! Carsland here I come

• Under that tree again!

Quote Originally Posted by Linus View Post
    My school has always done this too so we'd leave at 9 from Burbank, and be in the park by hopefully 11. This year, they're doing the same thing. My GF is going. I told her that I'm not going to spend $80 to spend 4 hours in the park when we can go the next day for free, which we are doing as well.
    That is too bad that is all your GF gets to do.

This year and in the forseeable future, all Grads get a park hopper and 2 FPs to use during the day. They could show up in the morning for park opening if they wanted. Then thier private Grad Party from 11pm to 3am.
    Last edited by swampymarsh; 05-17-2012 at 10:02 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast