Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

• Circle of Ancients

Re: 2012 Disneyland Half Marathon Weekend!

^ Yep, pretty much the same course as the last couple of years. At least we know what to expect.

Wonder if that will include CarsLand. Doesn't really look like it.

• DMTNT

I am hoping it includes Cars Land. But when comparing the 2010 and 2012 maps, the route looks exactly the same.

• Circle of Ancients

If I remember correctly, in 2010 we looped around Paradise Pier which didn't happen last year. I missed that part.

• Boat shoes all day long

As race day looms, I expect we are all looking at our log books and thinking, "man, where has the time gone? And WHY am I not down to race weight?" Ha, or maybe that is just me!

With about eight and a half weeks remaining, I tried to remember a couple training tips that have helped me over the years:

- drink a sheesh load of water. We are talking nearly double the recommended amount due to the amount you are all training, and likewise sweating out. 128 oz. will probably do.

- make sure you are comfortable with salt tabs and/or gels if you will be using them come race day. Try them out on your long run and make sure that they don't cause any issues. Because if they cause a problem on a low-stress training day, they will really be bad on race day.

- if you want to get snazzy shoes for the race, get them no less than 4 weeks prior to race day. You need at least a month to break them in, maybe more. Just toss them in the washing machine a week before if you wanted them looking mean on race day.

- keep upping your mileage. Don't back off until about two weeks out (if you plan on tapering). On those long runs, add about a mile every week or two if you can handle it to your long run for the week.

- download the new Carrie Underwood album, Blown Away. Add the good tracks to your listening device if you require one.

- stretch, A LOT. Anytime you can, stretch. A little bit before you run, after your warm up, and after the run. Stretch before you sit, when you stand, before you sleep, when you wake. Lot's of ankle rolls ladies and gentlemen.

- eat couscous and orzo.

- wear sunscreen when you train. I am training for a few triathlons and have about 7 different sets of tan lines...not pretty.

- you have built your base, you picked your plan, hopefully stuck to your plan, and now you can start to fine tune. Go to the track and do some test miles and sprint work.

- if you haven't been cross training, it may be a good idea to do a little. Push ups, Pull Ups, crunches, lunges, cycling, stairs, swimming, balance work. Stuff like that right now. I wouldn't recommend jumping into a hard core weight training regiment at this point. Start that early next season.

- you are likely training at the peak mileage, hardest tempo runs, toughest sprint days, and dragging on the easy days. MAKE SURE YOU BE RESTIN! Get to bed early, don't be a hooty owl. 6-8 hours of sleep are crucial at this phase. I say this, and still never get that many, but it is worth a shot!

- having a hard time bouncing back after workouts? It sounds like a pitch, but electrolyte drinks are a big help with this. Electrolytes mixed in water help hydrate muscles faster than water will by itself. Just don't pick one with too much sugar. Electrolyte tabs are great for tossing in a water bottle. They dissolve like an Alka Seltzer in about a minute and add some kind of flavor. Hammer Nutrition does a good job with these.

I will try and throw down some tips about taper and getting ready for race day within the next few weeks. Again, I know very little about running, but I know a lot of training and hopefully some of this stuff helps! If not though, that's cool because just writing about it gets me stoked!
    Last edited by BoygunaSurf; 06-26-2012 at 10:59 AM. Reason: typo
    "Let's get weird" -Abraham Lincoln

• For You!

I am so happy someone started this thread! As some of you know (via facebook), I decided this was the year to start running. I saw the pictures from last years 1/2 marathon and figured if I am ever going to run, this was the place I was going to do it! I started on the treadmill in November and worked my way up to 3 miles. Started my 10 week program a couple of weeks ago.

I am slowly (stress the slowly) building up to 13.1 miles. Today is my first 5 mile run (wish me luck). I have to say that I don't love running yet. I have played tennis for the last several years and like to run to the net and then take a break!

The other night I had to play a singles match, and was scheduled to do 3 miles that day. After the match, I just didn't think i could run, but started feeling guilty and my body actually felt ancy to get out! So, I did the 3 miles and felt so good after! so, I guess i am making progress!

My 13 year old son informed that I only needed a pink sweatband and fuzzy jogging suit to match my slowness. However, I am slow and steady and making progress!

Thanks for all the tips - they are so helpful. I have been icing my legs daily and trying not to get shin splints. I wish I had dropped more weight before I started training, but what can you do now!?

Will trade husband for Disneyland and DCA Pins!

Quote Originally Posted by BFJen View Post
    I have to say that I don't love running yet.
    First off, congrats on getting moving! That's awesome!

As for the love of running. Don't worry. That never comes.

Seriously...when I'm out there running, I *hate* it. Most of the time. But when the run is over? I love it! It feels great!

I'm only doing the 5K this year - I didn't get registered for the Half in time. I've also never run a half yet (my first half will be the Tinker Bell Half in January). But I'm excited about doing the 5K.

Definitely follow a ten week program. I'm looking forward to starting my 10 week program later this year.

Good luck!

• For You!

Thanks! I survived my first 5 mile outing yesterday! Does anyone have any good off day weight training or easy exercise ideas?

• Please pull the yellowtab

I'm really looking forward to the race in September! I just wish I was more on top of training. I've been nursing a runner's knee injury for 3 weeks now and haven't been able to run much. I should be running 6 miles comfortably but I am dying at mile 4. I have a 10k marked on the calendar for July 4 -- which I intended to use as a training motivator -- but don't think I'll be able to complete it without run/walking the last 2 miles. My knee injury is kiling me -- all I want to do is get out there and run . I've ran 4 half marathons within the past 3 years but all of them were for fun. My goal this year at DL's Half Marathon 2012 is to complete it within 3 hours or less.

---------- Post added 07-02-2012 at 01:00 AM ----------

Thanks! I survived my first 5 mile outing yesterday! Does anyone have any good off day weight training or easy exercise ideas?
    Hi BFJen! Congrats on your first 5 mile run. I'm new to running too. I don't have a specific weight training regime because I get bored fairly quickly of doing repetitive weight lifting. And I am adverse to resorting to circuit training at the gym. My solution for cross-training in order to build strength was to find different fitness classes in my area. Before my injury I did pilates or vinyasa flow yoga at least 2x a week. And every other week I would do a bootcamp class. With the combination of these classes and running I've been able to build muscle and slim down to my race weight. Another added benefit of trying out different forms of fitness are utilizing the knowledge you gain from them to improve your running. For instance, in vinyasa yoga I've learned to control my breathing. The techniques I learned really helped me breathe through tough runs and pesky cramps without slowing down.

I do believe in fairies. I do. I do.

•   
    • Kerplookee

Congrats. You'll breeze through the course.

Looking forward to this years race after a disappointing start last year
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumpee View Post
    I only care for Disney bling!

•   
    • RCMC: Java Junkie

Glad I came across this thread. I was planning a trip around this weekend. But I know to avoid the DLR for this weekend because of it being a holiday weekend and it also being the half marathon race as well. Sounds like a crowded weekend will be in store at the resort.

But have a fun time for all those participating in the event. Sounds like a fun race

•   
    • Kerplookee

Yes, Everyone stay away. The parks will be very very crowded
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumpee View Post
    I only care for Disney bling!

• For You!

okay, blister help needed. I have a blister on the toe next to my big toe - I have popped it, but it keeps coming back - how do you fix them?!

• Please pull the yellowtab

okay, blister help needed. I have a blister on the toe next to my big toe - I have popped it, but it keeps coming back - how do you fix them?!
    When I started ramping up my mileage to 10+ miles on my long runs I started to repeatedly get blisters on my big toe. Grrrr

I think it's best to allow your blisters to heal by itself. Hopefully after it's healed you will end up with a nice callus. The thickened skin will prevent another one from forming on the same spot.

I have also found buying special running socks, like Thorlos which have extra cushion, prevent blisters. The first few blisters I got on my feet when I started running was because I was using cheap cotton athletic socks and the fabric after 10 or more miles actually started cutting into my feet and creating blisters.

I do believe in fairies. I do. I do.

• Boat shoes all day long

An easy agreement on the above. Blisters are an issue for new runners more than seasoned as after a few years on the beat, calluses form and you are gravy. Take a peek at some long distance runners feet...we don't have nice ones (at least not the bottoms)! The majority of cases where you get repeated blisters on either the outside of your big toes, or the outside of your foot (pinky toe side) reveal that you either over pronate or under pronate. Over pronation is when your foot lands and leans to the inside (big toe side) and under is the opposite. Nearly everyone does a normal amount of this...but it is good to take a look at the soles of your shoes and see where material has dominately worn off to get a good idea. Or, go to a good running shop and have them do a treadmill grid test. Both provide the same result.

As for weight training...don't go gangbusters at this point. I would suggest you focus on core exercises. Having big biceps or delts won't do you any favors in a 13 mile race. Have you ever finished a hard run (tempo run) or a long distance run and had a sore lower back? That is due to a weak core. Strengthening your core will greatly improve your running and won't set you back with recovery days. Do crunches, do planks, reverse planks, hanging crunches, side-ups, mountain climbers, stuff like that.

Drink lots of water and get stoked!
    Last edited by BoygunaSurf; 07-09-2012 at 08:18 AM.
    "Let's get weird" -Abraham Lincoln

• For You!

I know I have core issues - I keep hearing that from tennis coaches. The blister is on the tip of my first toe next to my big toe. My husband did comment that my feet were really hard and rough last night - so, I guess that should be a compliment!

I am still not in love with running, but I really feel accomplished after a run, and I have a great support team here at home. My hubby can't believe that I am doing so well - and sticking with it!

Thanks to the MiceChat support team as well! I really appreciate all the advice!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast