Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

• Buena Vista St. & Red Car

Re: 2012 Disneyland Half Marathon Weekend!

Hope everyone's training is going great and well! I cannot wait until marathon weekend! I hope to see some of you MiceChatters there. This will be my first 1/2 marathon. I've been long distance running for a bit of time now but ever since I changed my life around some years ago to a healthy one, I've wanted to make the Disneyland marathon my first and I missed last years so I'm just ecstatic to be in this year. It's a testament and will be an achievement to my dedication I set forth for myself. I've come SO far and this is only the beginning

• Boat shoes all day long

Quote Originally Posted by BFJen View Post
    I know I have core issues - I keep hearing that from tennis coaches. The blister is on the tip of my first toe next to my big toe.
    I used to get these on that exact toe when I was wearing shoes 1/2 size too small. Not sure if it will make a difference for you to go up a size - definately do some trial runs in a half size bigger at the store before making a decision. Everyone is different, especially with regards to shoe needs. Best advice I ever got was, once you find a pair of kicks that works for you, don't change. Buy a bunch of pairs in case the new versions get weird.
    "Let's get weird" -Abraham Lincoln

• Circle of Ancients

I'll 3rd the comment on the blisters, it's just one of those things that happens. Even after 2 1/2 years of running it still happens after long races. I had a couple of doozies after the LA Marathon (to be expected of course). But for the most part the callouses have callouses and that helps.

I've also found this stuff called Band-Aid Friction Block, looks like a small thing of deodorant. It works well for the feet and other ... ahem ... area's that can be sensitive and are prone to chafe.

As far as my training, gonna be honest, it's going "okay", not anything spectacular. Just really maintaining at this point. I did 7 miles the other day, have been averaging about 3 running days a week for the past month or so. I'll need to kick it into high gear the next couple of weeks. Then have a week vacation where I doubt I'll be doing any running (crazy coaster trip, so LOTS of walking). Then have to kick it into high gear the last 3 weeks before the race.

Oh, and the RunDisney Facebook page posted this yesterday.

Click “Like” for running … through the new Cars Land during the Disneyland Half Marathon Weekend!

Name:  425457_491226034236697_243975692_n.jpg
Views: 278
Size:  117.6 KB

So looks like CarsLand will be part of the race. I'm glad, didn't see how they couldn't include it. At this rate it may be the first time we see it (hope not).

38 days and 12 hours, folks!

Something new to me, that some of you may already be taking advantage of, is an application available for the iPhone and Android called Strava (see below link):

Strava | Running and Cycling GPS Tracker, Performance Analytics, Maps, Clubs and Competition

This tool is incredible! Check out the site, it explains everything pretty well, but here is my brief summary and review. You can link Strava via your phone, or your GPS-enabled device (Garmin prefered). Any motion based activity that can be tracked via GPS (swimming, cycling, running, skiing, hiking, walking, crawling, you name it) can be recorded via this awesome app. Once you have completed your workout, it is saved to the server. At that point, you can look at your workout, which will be broken up in segments based on what others have done before you on that same course. It will give you all kinds of readings on your performance, and will allow you to see how you rank on that particular course/segment with others that have done the same thing. Very motivating! It is like having a trainer with you at all times! I think the premium version has a couple more features, but the free one has so much, it is good to just start with that one.

I can't recommend this app enough! It keeps you accountable and all your pals can watch your training, and/or compete with you! You can "follow" people and will see their workouts on your dashboard. Give it a look-see, I promise that you will not be dissappointed. My triathlon team turned me on to it and now alls I wants to be doin is training!

Don't forget to take time to recover. Overtraining will do far more bad than good, but very few people ever overtrain anyway.

Good luck in these final weeks!

• Quality not quantity

Good luck to everyone that runs this happy race!

Looking at the 5k rally on Saturday that finishes in CarsLand.. First off how cool is that??

Second, what happens after the racers finish? Are they then able to partake of the carsland attractions? Are park tickets included as part of the race? Would they have to exit the park and re-enter?
    "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect."

-Mark Twain

Can't wait!!! This will be my 4th 1/2 at a Disney park. Princess 2011, 2012: Wine N Dine 2011 and 2012 Key West, Florida. See you all at the finish line! Have a great run!!

Good luck to all of you, and keep on truckin' with your training! I look forward to hearing reports of how it all went. I'd like to be there along side you, but I'm working toward 2013.

May your blisters be tiny
    May you not hit 'the wall' till 26.1 miles
    May the magic of Disney lighten your steps to the finish line
    And may the carbs of churros and bread bowls of chowder restore you!!!

I was just wondering approximately how long it takes you seasoned runners to finish the 1/2 marathon? I (supposedly) walked 12 miles down the beach with my mom the other day and that took us about 3 hours. And when I say walk, I mean leisurely, so had we jogged, would we finish the walk in about 1 1/2 hours?
    The music celebration puts some motion into my ocean!

Can't believe I missed this thread! This will be my first 1/2 marathon. I have always been an avid exerciser, but was never a runner; always preferred sprinting over long distance running, lol! Anyway being a huge Disneyland fan I was surprised I have never heard of this event. Even though I never ran before, I thought why not sign up; It's at Disneyland! I've been training since January and everthing has been going pretty well. Got my 13.1 in and have been tapering down. My IT band starting giving me a little trouble (think I was overtraining) so I have been incorporating more rest days. I was doing 3 days running and the rest of the week were cardio classes at the gym. This 41 year old body was just saying SLOW DOWN! I've been using a foam roller and "The Stick" and they have helped a lot.

I was excited to find out that I'd been placed in corral A. My running partner and I did a 10K so we could submit a time to get out of the last corral. We had a 9:15 per mile pace so I was expecting to be in the middle of the pack. Yay!

Is anyone wearing a costume? We are doing the clip on Minnie Mouse ears and a little polka dot skirt over our shorts. I am so excited! My kids even signed up for cross-country this year because they want to do the 5k next year!

• Circle of Ancients

No costume for me but I will be taking pictures.

My training has been kind of hit-miss the last month or so due to Vacation and a few other things. But I'll be ready. Doing my 12 mile run tomorrow.

Only issue is finidng a hotel. We always seem to wait until the last minute and then swear we won't wait the next year and then again we wait. Sigh.

• Please pull the yellowtab

@sirclinksalot Good luck on your 12 mile run! You are definitely in better shape than me.

I wish I had taken better care of my knee. I took nearly 2 months of rest from running because of the runners knee injury I developed. I'm so behind on training that I will be approaching this race as a fun run. See you guys at the start line .

I do believe in fairies. I do. I do.

Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be killed. Every morning a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve to death. It doesn’t matter whether you are a lion or a gazelle: when the sun comes up, you’d better be running.

-countless debate over the true author of this quote leaves me unable to give due credit

I hope that you guys are ready for action! I am not sure how many of you saw the Disneyland Parks Blog showing the warm-up run with Galloway? Check it out:

Get Your Engines Running at the Disneyland Half Marathon Weekend Meet-Up and Warm-Up « Disney Parks Blog

I was ultra busy this week and did not hear about this opportunity until today - rats, I would have been all over that. Did anyone get in? If so, you lucky dog(s) better get some pics!

We are down to the grit; two weeks to go. I personally am looking forward to the peacock show that is packet pick-up. You know, where everyone wears their most prestigious running shirts? It may be 90-plus degrees out, but if someone has run Boston, they will be sporting that blue and green Adidas windbreaker jacket no doubt. In line you are bound to see nervous calf raises, arm swings, knuckle cracks, and the rare few that will lift up their tee's to make sure they still have a six pack. It's all there, check it out!

I am a little spooked as I have done zero "running" training this season. Only triathlon stuff, that, while includes plenty of running, none of it is geared towards this type of racing. Oh wells, the Santa Cruz Olympic Tri is at the end of September, so I am looking at this race as a chance to work on form. The 5K the day before will be a nice warm-up and chance to get some character pics.

How does everyone feel about their training? Beware, for a number of people the pre race week, or race week sickness can come out of nowhere. It just happens. You feel achy, have a headache, sniffles, that kind of stuff. Just stay calm, drink water, and relax. It will pass and come race morning you will be ready to cook!

Good luck with your final prep!

• For You!

So I am getting so excited! I ran 12 miles last Monday. Then I took a couple of days off to recover. My blisters have finally all popped and are nicely callused. I will probably lose one toenail because the blister went under the nail and kinda pried it up, but it doesn't hurt.

I got toe socks to run in - totally freaky looking, but really helped! Oh and I got some new asics (blurrees) and I think I got them the right size (a size bigger).

Now for my final issue. I ran an easy 2.5 miles last saturday and then on Monday geared up for an 8-9 miler. I warmed up with a .25 mile walk, then started running, only to have my right knee quit on me with sharp shooting pain from the outside around the bottom to the front. I tried to "work it out" by walking and slow jogging, but had to quit after a mile.

I have rested for 3 days now and it didn't hurt this morning. Hopefully it is just some inflamation and it will go away. But, if it doesn't - anybody know of any tricks or tape jobs to help? I am going to run this stupid race!!! I didn't train for a year just to have it all end a week before!

Will trade husband for Disneyland and DCA Pins!

• Circle of Ancients

Jen, just lots of ice and ibuprofen is what I generally go with. I've heard great things about that tape the athletes used in the olympics. Forget the name of it.

Just remember, have fun with it. The way I always look at races (especially Disney) is this is my reward for all the hard work.

Hope to see you all at some point that weekend. Don't forget about the Sunday meet after the race so we can get a group picture with our medals on!!!

Anybody doing the 5k on Saturday? I'm not, I'm actually doing the Awesome 80's Run (https://www.facebook.com/Awesome80sR...39000709522729) if anybody is game for a little warm-up in Pasadena the day before. Should be a fun race, and not anywhere near as pricey as Disney.

Quote Originally Posted by BFJen View Post
    I warmed up with a .25 mile walk, then started running, only to have my right knee quit on me with sharp shooting pain from the outside around the bottom to the front. I tried to "work it out" by walking and slow jogging, but had to quit after a mile.

I have rested for 3 days now and it didn't hurt this morning. Hopefully it is just some inflamation and it will go away. But, if it doesn't - anybody know of any tricks or tape jobs to help? I am going to run this stupid race!!! I didn't train for a year just to have it all end a week before!
    That is possibly (unofficial opinion) an issue caused by your IT band pulling things offline (have you been using a foam roller? if not, you should There are lots of resources online with exercises/stretches to help you out- google or check youtube for IT band stretches/exercises. You could also look for a sports doc who deals in ART or ASTYM treatments, both of which may help.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast