Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

• DMTNT

Re: 2012 Disneyland Half Marathon Weekend!

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    Hope to see you all at some point that weekend. Don't forget about the Sunday meet after the race so we can get a group picture with our medals on!!!
    Hey sir clinksalot- When and where is the meet after the race? I'd love to meet up with fellow Micechatters who have completed the happiest race on earth.

btw, if you all haven't noticed. They now have the runner tracking up on the Run Disney site. It is fun to sign up for it and have the texts of your split times sent you. You can even have them post to your Facebook account so everyone can see how well you are doing.

Good luck to everyone running.

• For You!

I am planning on being at the meet!!! I may only get to stay for a little while because as always I am going to have an entourage of my entire family!! We are headed to the parks on Thursday and should be around until Monday. So, I hope to see some of you around!!

Clinks - how are the plantar boots working?

Will trade husband for Disneyland and DCA Pins!

• Boat shoes all day long

Quote Originally Posted by dsnyfn View Post
    Hey sir clinksalot- When and where is the meet after the race? I'd love to meet up with fellow Micechatters who have completed the happiest race on earth.

btw, if you all haven't noticed. They now have the runner tracking up on the Run Disney site. It is fun to sign up for it and have the texts of your split times sent you. You can even have them post to your Facebook account so everyone can see how well you are doing.

Good luck to everyone running.
    And a great thank you for the information regarding split feed! Can you note where that option was found on RunDisney? I didn't see it. I would also like to be involved in this group photo of medals - can someone please put up the when and where?

Anyone know what corral you are in yet? I got bib #52...just missed the elite bracket!

Vrooooom...
    Last edited by BoygunaSurf; 08-23-2012 at 01:02 PM.
    "Let's get weird" -Abraham Lincoln

• Circle of Ancients

The meet will be the normal MiceChat Sunday meet at noon in the Hub. If you are facing the castle we will be to the left of the partners statue.

As for the boots, they seem to be really helping (along with the PT). I didn't wear the boots last night and my feet were a bit sore this morning. Guess that means I should wear them nightly.

I also went and picked up some new running shoes this morning. Wanted to go with something different that would help me get a good mid-foot strike so I got the Skechers Go Run. I've been a HUGE fan of Skechers for almost 20 years now but have been apprehensive about their running shoes. They had them on sale so I figured I'd go for it. They are VERY light and I'm hoping I'll be able to break them in before next Sunday. Shouldn't be an issue I think.

• DMTNT

Quote Originally Posted by BoygunaSurf View Post
    And a great thank you for the information regarding split feed! Can you note where that option was found on RunDisney?
    On the DL Half page, it is under Spectator Resources-Runner Tracking.

Breaking in a new pair of shoes just days before a race? Yikes! I wouldn't do that. If you've had good experience doing that, then no problem. Me, personally, I want to feel comfortable in what I'm racing in.

I'm only doing the 5K. I'll be running in my "toe shoes" (Vibram FiveFingers). I love those things.

Does anyone know if at the Expo there will be a booth for Kinesio taping? When I looked on the map with the vendors I saw a "KT Tape" but didn't know if it was one in the same.

• DMTNT

I believe KT Tape is kinesio tape.

A lot of folks have questioned whether or not a taper is necessary for a half marathon. If pros do it, then I am sure it would yield at least some benefits to amateur age-groupers. I won't go into what is needed as most of you started your tapers last week. Just bring down the intensity, but throw in at least 4x100m striders at the end of each run, and keep the run lengths down to about 45-55 minutes. You need to do the sprint section so that your body remembers how to go fast, just don't build any lactate.

So instead, I wanted to offer up a little "check list". Everyone's will be different, but here is a sample:

- REST: try and get 7 hours each night from now 'till Sunday. Even if you don't fall asleep right away, get in bed!

- STRETCH: if you have been doing Yoga, keep doing it. If not, stretch on your own. Try and do it after your run or swim or whatever, warm rubberbands stretch further and safer than cold ones.

- HYDRATE: keep up the water intake and add sodium to your diet if needed to help retain the water. This is especially important for the night before. But don't add sodium in the form of more pizza and chips - salt tabs are better.

- LAUNDRY: uh-hyuck! Not a joke here, friends. Get all your race gear washed, hang-dried, and packed. Pack a spare pair of shoes, shorts, shirt, socks, hat - whatever you wear. You never know. If you can, put the spares in a different bag so if one bag gets lost, you are gravy with the other one.

- LAST MINUTE SHOPPING: do it now - as in Monday! As the week progresses, your schedule will become tighter and you won't have time. You will say, "I'll grab it at the expo." Not a good gamble as the expo may not have what you are looking for, or, an external force could keep you from being able to partake in the sh*t storm that is the DL Half Expo.

- PACK/ORGANIZE: this is a good thing to do to make sure that you don't forget your favorite t-shirt, your best sock monkey for good luck, or your shoes. It also keeps the race fresh in your mind, but keeps you from wandering around the house doing mindless cleaning and re-cleaning (speaking from nervous experience).

- PLAYLIST: planning on running with beats? Not necessarily Beats by Dre, but beats none the less? Then get a good playlist going. I would recommend keeping it short (about the length of your goal time plus a song or two). Throw in a few new tunes so that around mile 11 when you stat falling off your pace there is something to get you back on board.

There you have it - a brief check list for race prep. I could go on forever, so I will stop. Good luck in the final days. Don't get sick, don't get hurt, and stay positive and don't take yourself, or the race, too seriously!

• Quality not quantity

Is there a detailed list of street closures? I'm heading from the resort back to LAX the morning of the race (Sunday). I'm staying at the Ramada Maingate (next to Tony Roma's) which is inside the blue race path lines. From what I have been able to gather, we should be able to go North on Harbor to the Northbound I-5 Entrance, but I can't tell if the driver will be able to get to us or if we need to walk a few blocks one way or the other.
    "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect."

-Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Moonliner View Post
    Is there a detailed list of street closures? I'm heading from the resort back to LAX the morning of the race (Sunday). I'm staying at the Ramada Maingate (next to Tony Roma's) which is inside the blue race path lines. From what I have been able to gather, we should be able to go North on Harbor to the Northbound I-5 Entrance, but I can't tell if the driver will be able to get to us or if we need to walk a few blocks one way or the other.
    I am not sure if a listing of road closures and detours exists - although the electronic marques down the main drag have usually discribed what lanes and roads will be open. They have to have a way for cars to get in and out of the properties, especially on your side of the street - I am sure there will be a way. What time are you leaving?

• Circle of Ancients

I couldn't find any road closure info from this year, but I did find it from 2010. I'm pretty certain it will be about the same though.

The following are the streets expected to be CLOSED between 5am and 10am:

• Anaheim Blvd. (between Cerritos and Ball)
    • Cerritos Ave. (between Haster & Lewis and State & Douglass)
    • Lewis St. (between Ball and Cerritos)
    • Ball Rd. (between Lewis and State College)
    • State College Blvd. (between Ball and Cerritos)
    • S. Anaheim Way (between Haster and Orangewood)

One-Way Operation
    The following are the streets expected to be in one-way operation between 5am and 10am:

• Ball Rd. (westbound-traffic only between Disneyland Drive and Anaheim Blvd)
    • Katella Ave. (eastbound-traffic only between Disneyland Drive and Harbor)
    • Harbor Blvd. (northbound-traffic only between Katella and Disney Way)
    • Disney Way (eastbound-traffic only between Harbor and Haster)

• Quality not quantity

Quote Originally Posted by BoygunaSurf View Post
    What time are you leaving?
    8:00am (I hope....)

---------- Post added 08-28-2012 at 06:35 PM ----------
    Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    I couldn't find any road closure info from this year, but I did find it from 2010. I'm pretty certain it will be about the same though.
    Thanks!
    "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect."

-Mark Twain

• Circle of Ancients

You should be ok at that Ramada since the ending of the race is right down Disney Way and behind DCA.

• Circle of Ancients

Anybody down at the Expo yet? Anything good this year? Pics of the tech shirts and Marathon Merch would be awesome so I can prepare my wife for the inevitable price tag.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast