Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345

• Please pull the yellowtab

Re: 2012 Disneyland Half Marathon Weekend!

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    Anybody down at the Expo yet? Anything good this year? Pics of the tech shirts and Marathon Merch would be awesome so I can prepare my wife for the inevitable price tag.
    I arrived at the expo @ 12:15 pm and my first stop was merchandise. It was a madhouse! There was a lot of great merchandise! This is the first year I am impressed with the quality of the shirt designs. It makes it a lot easier to stomach the high price tags they charge .

The theme for this year's race (and in hand its race merch) are retro mickey and retro disneyland logos. I saw people standing in line with 4 or more shirts/jackets. And others were off to the side taking multiple pictures to send to friends/family who couldn't make it to the expo on time. I had picked up so many things but settled for a long sleeve t-shirt that said "I'm Only Half Crazy. 13.1. Disneyland Half Marathon 2012". There were a couple items I noticed that were running out of stock, but hopefully they will restock them for the influx of 1/2 marathon runners tomorrow afternoon.

I also noticed a drastic increase in coast-to-coast merchandise for you overachieving and well-traveled runners. However, they are very generic with a 2012 slapped on them.
    Last edited by 2ndStar2theRight; 08-31-2012 at 08:31 PM. Reason: add. info

I do believe in fairies. I do. I do.

So...who is ready to post some times?

I hope everyone that was doing the 5K had a great time. This was my first RunDisney race, and I loved it! I only got to run the 5K this time around. I'm registered for the Tinker Bell Half, and after today, I am really looking forward to it!

I turned 40 a couple of weeks ago. This time last year, I could barely run a mile. And I dreamed of being able to run a 5K. Now I do it regularly (I train at 5K distance a few times a week).

Today, I turned in my fastest 5K race time ever! 26:06! 14 seconds faster than my previous PR. I'm very very excited about how well I did.

I hope everyone that ran today had a great race, and good luck to everyone running tomorrow!

• For You!

I survived my first half marathon! It was awesome ! I struggled at the end, but only because I already spent three days in the park and I was a little hammered. But I finished in 2.54. Also next time I (yes there is talk of a next time) we will sign up for a timed corral. Too many walkers in our group and we had to dodge a lot. I was hoping to get to the noon meet, but my nephew is exhausted and he is sound asleep, so I am patiently waiting at the hotel!

Will trade husband for Disneyland and DCA Pins!

Quote Originally Posted by BFJen View Post
    I survived my first half marathon! It was awesome ! I struggled at the end, but only because I already spent three days in the park and I was a little hammered. But I finished in 2.54. Also next time I (yes there is talk of a next time) we will sign up for a timed corral. Too many walkers in our group and we had to dodge a lot. I was hoping to get to the noon meet, but my nephew is exhausted and he is sound asleep, so I am patiently waiting at the hotel!
    Congrats on finishing your first half! I'm doing the Tinker Bell Half as my first half.

I'm running a 10K next month, so I can get a timed corral. You just confirmed my "fear" of not having a time for a corral. I'm not going to run it in 1:05, but I do want to avoid dodging walkers.

At the Tink Half, I tried to train as a run/walk participant, skipped most of the character photo spots, and had a time of 2:43.

The past few months, I've been dealing with Plantar Fasciitis issues, so I didn't have a chance to even attempt to train. I convinced myself I would walk most of the course, but wound up run/walking it, and stopping at almost every character spot. I got a time of 2:48.

I'm sure my recovery will be quite a different issue this time around though!

• Boat shoes all day long

A very hearty pat-on-the-back to all the runners out there who participated in the half, the 5k, and the kids shuttle races!

It was a splendid weekend - trip report to follow!

By the grace of triathlon training, I ended up crushing my PR from last year and ran a 1:26:07 - averaging about 6:34/mile. I believe I was 38th out of 14,924 people.

If you get a chance, thank the volunteers! This race was well organized, but VERY well supported, which are two very different things.

Congratulations again, well done to all that finished their races with a smile and a fist pump!
    "Let's get weird" -Abraham Lincoln

Congrats Alpinemaps, BFJen, MonkeyDishwasher, and BoygunaSurf!

I finished the half marathon in 2 hr 43 min. Hurray!

I look forward to this race every year. I'm also ecstatic with the recent addition of the Tinker Bell Half Marathon. It helps fill the lull after such a fun time at DL's Half Marathon. Disney is very good at holding races. I hope DL continues to increase it's offerings for races. I'm pretty jealous of the range of races they offer at WDW; like the Twilight Zone Tower of Terror 10k.

I'll be aiming to qualify for Corrals A-C for next year's race. Does anyone know what pace it takes to qualify for Corrals A, B or C?
    Last edited by 2ndStar2theRight; 09-03-2012 at 08:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndStar2theRight View Post
    I'll be aiming to qualify for Corrals A-C for next year's race. Does anyone know what pace it takes to qualify for Corrals A, B or C?
    It probably varies a small amount each year, but I am assuming that somewhere around a 2:15 should get you into "C" corral. They can't really give you an answer until all the entries are in from those that have provided an official time during registration.

Nice race!

• Circle of Ancients

I finished in 2:47, this was my worst time in any half marathon.

This was likely due to taking 50 minutes for the first 5k due to stopping to take pictures in the parks with some characters. LOL!!

I decided I wanted to have more fun with it and I'm actually quite happy with the time I had once I started consistently running. If I had run the whole way I would have likely broken my PR (2:19).

A couple of my pics with characters:
    Name:  DSC00117-L.jpg
Views: 151
Size:  89.0 KB

Name:  DSC00124-L.jpg
Views: 153
Size:  119.2 KB

• DMTNT

Congrats to everyone who ran the 5K, kids races and/or Half this weekend. I ran the Half with a time of 1:46:40 for a 554th place finish (funny thing my bib number was 555), slightly off my PR by 54 seconds. I thought the course was great this year and running through Cars Land was amazing. The car clubs along the Honda Center stretch was great, although I couldn't see many of them due to the sun blinding me.

If you want to run next year, make sure you keep an eye on the web site. It sold out in record time this year. One of the runDisney cast members told me the registration for 2013 should open in January.

Quote Originally Posted by dsnyfn View Post
    Congrats to everyone who ran the 5K, kids races and/or Half this weekend. I ran the Half with a time of 1:46:40 for a 554th place finish (funny thing my bib number was 555), slightly off my PR by 54 seconds. I thought the course was great this year and running through Cars Land was amazing. The car clubs along the Honda Center stretch was great, although I couldn't see many of them due to the sun blinding me.

If you want to run next year, make sure you keep an eye on the web site. It sold out in record time this year. One of the runDisney cast members told me the registration for 2013 should open in January.
    Nice job, DSNYFN!

I agree on the car clubs, I think that is what kept me going. I think I got there early enough to where the sun was not all the way up yet so they were gleaming just right. I tried to give the "o.k." hand signal to my favorite ride in each category. Made the time go by faster!

• For You!

I thought I posted something, but guess it didn't save! Anyway, I was so impressed with the community during the run! I couldn't believe how many bands, cheerleaders, scouts, etc., came out to support and cheer on the runners! It was awesome!

Also, the signs that people made were so funny! I actually had to stop at one point because I couldn't stop laughing!

I saw the pictures that were posted from the race - I am now officially going to go on a diet and get in better shape! Ick! I learned a lot this year and we have decided to do the Tinkerbell 1/2 marathon in a year and a half. (we had a bunch of little kids with us, and we need to let them get a little older). Also, I won't spend 3 days in the park and then run!

Interesting tidbit - I started my garmin watch when my corral (g) was called. By the time I reached the finish line, I actually covered a little more than 14 miles. I think with all the weaving and the long walk to the start line it just added up! Definitely try to get a better spot next race!

Thanks again for all of your support! Sorry I didn't make it to the meet - We had a teething little one that needed some more naptime. I didn't get into the park until about 2 p.m. Of course, I didn't think to get anyone's contact information!

Will trade husband for Disneyland and DCA Pins!

• Circle of Ancients

I loved the cars. That was always (to me) the worst part of the course, having the cars out this year was definitely a plus!!!

Did seem like there were less groups between miles 10 and 12 than there have been in previous years.

Still a great fun race. Not sure if I'll run it next year since we aren't renewing our AP's and part of the fun is wearing your medal in the park after the race.

Also, the signs that people made were so funny! I actually had to stop at one point because I couldn't stop laughing!
    Those signs really helped me ignore this nagging side stitch that stuck with from miles 6-13. A couple of my favorite chants/ signs:
    - "McKayla is not impressed!"
    - "Go stranger go! This sign is for you."
    - "Keep running! Don't let the zombies get you!"

Also, I won't spend 3 days in the park and then run!
    I learned this the hard way as well. I visited WDW for the first time a few years ago when I ran the WDW Half Marathon. I was so excited to finally visit WDW that I made the mistake of exploring MK, Epcot, and AK; including the new WWOHP (as I like to call it, Harry Potter Land). I already knew I was done for at the start line because my legs felt worn out. Crossed the finish around 3hr 50 min. Never doing that again!

I love doing destination races but the dilemma of running vs. sightseeing is really difficult. Next time, I'll make sure to keep exploring for after the race. Even though I'll probably be walking much slower and complaining how hard it is to sit and stand up.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    I loved the cars. That was always (to me) the worst part of the course, having the cars out this year was definitely a plus!!!

Did seem like there were less groups between miles 10 and 12 than there have been in previous years.

Still a great fun race. Not sure if I'll run it next year since we aren't renewing our AP's and part of the fun is wearing your medal in the park after the race.
    Congrats for finishing sir clinksalot! I totally agree; those cars were amazing! I have bad memories from that long stretch, from last year's race, where I nearly dropped out of the race because I pulled a hamstring.
    Last edited by 2ndStar2theRight; 09-04-2012 at 08:38 PM.

After running 3 1/2s at Disney World - we headed to Anaheim for our Coast to Coast, it was a great run for me, I shaved 8 mins off my fastest 1/2 finished in 2:24!! Not bad for only running 1.5 years and starting at age 47.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345