• Non-Minion

Building your own "Land"

I know it's been posted a thousand times...BUT

As I normally browse through the forum one constant factor keeps popping up in almost every thread.

People are not happy with the current state of Disneyland or the movie tie-ins or the character meet and greets or the branding etc., etc. so here is the question I have been tossing around my head all day.

If you had a section or an empty plot of land that was reserved for a "new land" for the DLR and you had creative control; without referencing a move tie-in or characters that have been already been made famous by Disney or Pixar what would you do?

Theme?
    Characters?
    Practical Use of the land?
    Time Period?
    Educational?
    Rides?

I am curious as to know what people have in mind, since it seems opinions on what they feel the park should be runs rampant on this forum...have at it
    Last edited by christianAdam; 04-25-2012 at 11:27 AM.
    "If you were thinking, you wouldn't have thought that"

• formerly very helpful

Re: Building your own "Land"

I find it hard to be totally original here, since there are so many good ideas that I've heard. For me, I think the choices of lands they have are fine, but I would like to see more done without referencing pre-existing characters and franchises. More animatronic attractions, on scale with POTC.
    If I had to come up with an idea, I suppose I've always liked a maritime-themed environment, like New England or something that looked like an old port town.
    I think Disney's best lands come from another time, since those are the best at really transporting me to another place and immersing me in the fantasy. I suppose that's similar to Magic Kingdom's Liberty Square, but it could be made different.
    I would like there to be an educational element to it, but not heavy-handed, and still FUN. I don't think "thrill" rides are necessary to make an exciting adventure. Maybe stray away from the Pirates stuff, since it's been done to death.

I've often thought that a land that was like the 1940s, World War II era would be interesting, but it seems that Buena Vista Street may be similar to this theme, so it will be interesting to see.

I may have to think more about this to really come up with some ideas. Man! Imagineering is hard!

• -

Maybe an underwater type of land. The land could be surrounded by a giant aquarium to aid in the illusion that one has now traveled underwater. The land could be very much like Animal Kingdom, but with only aquatic habitats.

They could then put in a submarine type of ride that is all about undersea exploration instead of watching a movie recap.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• Non-Minion

pretty surprised that nobody else had anything to offer, most of what I see are complaints about how rides and lands are linked too closely to movies and such.

seems to be a lot more arm-chair critics who, when faced with an actual situation like this, fall silent

interesting
    "If you were thinking, you wouldn't have thought that"

• Insomniac

I'd like to see a Roman empire area. Add in theatrical performances, some mythological rides, and some great architecture and it could be epic.
    Check out my Disney inspired creations.

https://picasaweb.google.com/110319393135337100862

• -

We could always use a Marvel land. Put in a Dumbo type spinner, but themed to Ironman. The ride vehicles could look like his armor and the riders could ride lying on their stomachs to get the sensation of flying.

Maybe a combination dark ride/thrill ride using the Test Track platform and themed to the Avengers. Instead of cars, the vehicles could resemble the quinjet. The show building could be made to look like a helicarrier.

I can see a restaurant shaped like the Baxter Building and themed to the Fantastic Four. All the prices for food would end in a "4", like a hamburger for $39.94​.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

I wouldn't mind having a haunted house style land,that would be pretty cool in my opinion.

• curiouser and curiouser

I've had this idea of an indoor land themed to a haunted village for a few years now. I wanted it to be enclosed so that it could have a permanent night theme (think Blue Bayou), but it would also mean that you could place it outside of the berm so that it wouldn't have to take up any space within the already overcrowded park itself.
    The entrance to the so far nameless land would be located between HM and the NOS station, it would be themed to a 19th century southern ghost town and the entrance to HM would be moved into the new land.

The mansion itself would still remain in NOS, because I realize that it has a lot of historic value, but I also thought it could be cool to have it act sort of as a teaser for the haunted land that you were about to enter. Then when you were actually in the land there would be a second "night time" version of the mansion that could be seen in the distance, suggesting that the mansion exists in both dimensions, further reinforcing it's haunted mythology.

The land itself would consist of a spooky village with little shops and a restaurant, The Haunted Mansion, a worn down, rusty carousel that played ominous sounding music box tunes and a maze themed to a haunted forest. My main inspiration for the latter is the forest queue of the E.T. Adventure in Orlando, but darker, and with faint suggestions of spirit beings instead of extra terrestrials.

Another source of inspiration is the work of Walter Wick and his fantastic children's books, especially 'On A Scary Scary Night', although while his haunted village seems to be more European looking one, mine would be that of a southern, Georgia/Louisiana/Alabama type of town in order to fit in with the surrounding NOS and Critter Country:

Name:  scr.jpg
Views: 109
Size:  221.0 KB

Name:  street_layout.jpg
Views: 108
Size:  221.9 KB
    Last edited by DLcub; 04-28-2012 at 02:23 PM.

I would make aall new take on fronterland into a mining town in northen ca but not like hkdl anddca's grizzly peak but redo the entire area with the island where davy crocket would have a undergroung mining tunnel to exted btmr in cali and let a lot of action go and a drop section like verbolten and launch straight out of a cave and goup about the hight of mabye 80 ft highon a banked turn at the back part of the lake interacting with the mark twain boat and goe up to the top of a mountain but have a lift that rotates the trains and go down a 90 ftdrop away from the famtastic area and in big thunder jamboree would stay the same but add more bbq options like burnt ends, brisket and a new entertainment option that doesnt have a meet and greet have on some day's like in the summer a all-star lineup like nickelback and taylor swift do some concert's at mabye 7:00 through 8 to see the firework show at 9 and add a kiddie small wagon themed ferriswheel but like westrn cargo express in the old mexican area and the beer could go in jamboree
    I'm working as i'm with my autobots.