Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• formerly very helpful

I know I have to face reality, but just for the sake of fantasy...

I understand that my beloved People Mover just isn't coming back, for a variety of reasons. The most concrete that I've heard has to do with the tracks no longer being structurally sound, and new regulations that would put it out of compliance. (I've heard so much, I don't know if that's even true or not, but it sounds plausible.)
    Anyway, just for the sake of argument, suppose they decided to completely rebuild a People Mover, making it quite similar to what we had before. I mean building it from the ground up, and not even reusing the old track.
    Does anybody know approximately how much would that even cost? And how would that figure compare with what it costs to build other attractions?
    Maybe I don't really want to hear the answer, but I'm wondering.

• curiouser and curiouser

Re: I know I have to face reality, but just for the sake of fantasy...

Honestly, I'll never understand why people were so fond of the People Mover. There was nothing specifically futuristic about it. It was a slow moving ride that didn't do much but show you the uglier sides of the show buildings that you would otherwise never see from the ground, and I've always found the tracks and huge cement supports to just be obtrusive and out of place.

What is it about it that appealed to you?

• Minion

ORDDU: Are you kidding, duckling? That people Mover was the best place for a witch to make out with any man she could find in a pinch while also trying to ditch her two sisters!!

• I Miss Carnation Plaza

Quote Originally Posted by DLcub View Post
    Honestly, I'll never understand why people were so fond of the People Mover. There was nothing specifically futuristic about it. It was a slow moving ride that didn't do much but show you the uglier sides of the show buildings that you would otherwise never see from the ground, and I've always found the tracks and huge cement supports to just be obtrusive and out of place.

To me the appeal was that it was a driver-less, relaxing view of the park. You were private in your space, and the elevated platform provided a nice higher vantage point to watch the people and activity below. And yes, I did dream that someday, I would be riding something like this around as public transportation. It has all of the appeal of the monorail but not being sealed in a tin can so you can enjoy the air.

I still wish that this would be be built someday in the area where the parking lot trams are in front of the Mickey and Friend's parking lot. I imagine 3 levels of circling people movers that converge onto a single track that head out to the area between the parks, where there is a giant turntable out there for people to get on and off.

• formerly very helpful

^^^This sums it up pretty well. I ido enjoy the slow, relaxing ride and the elevated view, not to mention the previews of the other attractions that you got to glimpse along the way.

• -

There was nothing specifically futuristic about it.
    Actually, it showcases a futuristic form of transportation. Picture a larger form of this as a driverless public transportation system. That was the reason Walt developed it for the World’s Fair and why he put it in his park.

It was a slow moving ride that didn't do much but show you the uglier sides of the show buildings that you would otherwise never see from the ground…
    I’m not sure what uglier side of the show buildings you are referring to. It was never high enough to see over the roof lines, and everywhere it went into one of the buildings, there was always a sneak peek of the ride through which it was passing, or some type of a display like the Superspeed Tunnel.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• Nerd

it was a mellow ride around TL above the crowds where you could take a look at the park from a different viewpoint and chill for 10 or 15 minutes. When the vehicles were on the track, it (the track) didn't look obtrusive or out of place. Also - this ride was around 30 years ago when "futuristic ideas" were still a gleam in the eye...we still used phones hooked to wires and only had 4 TV channels. Looking at it through today's eyes I can see why you might feel that way. Did you ever ride it?
    Hidden Mickey - Tower of Terror

Hidden Mickey's here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/whatzup...7623565921220/
    Check out my Wal't Apartment tour here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/whatzup/sets/72157625183415995/

• Minion

I wasn't around when the Peoplemover was at its peak, but I do have a question. How is it that it can be completely driver-less? Wouldn't it have to make stops and (manual) starts to accommodate guests? What about any birds that might land on the track? Is the ride so slow that they can make it out of there unscathed or was that solved some other way?

I hope I don't sound like I'm putting down the ride. I'm genuinely curious.

The Peoplemover never stopped, that was the gimmick. You got on and off from a moving platform. As for the birds, they were smarter back then and knew we ment business.

Others have summed up why the PeopleMover was such a wonderful attraction, but let's not forget the music! So futuristically hopeful.

• Banned User

The PM was the first ride I rode in the park when I went! I loved everything about it! It WAS a nice, comfortable ride and a nice start of the day. Because there were NEVER any lines, it was just nice to break into something right away. And the few times I went to MK, that oddly is the first thing I ride there as well. PM was a great ride and I would probably ride it as my first ride if it was there now!

But that was 15 years ago! Its obviously not coming back because I'm guessing its too much pain/money to bring back an attraction that probably wouldnt attract the audience the way a good D-E ticket would for the same costs.

So they need to rip out the tracks and beautify the area! PM is as dead as the Country Bears unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    That was the reason Walt developed it for the World’s Fair and why he put it in his park.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think the PM was at the '64 World's Fair. There are two other PM's: The one at WDW, of course, and one at Houston Bush Airport. If another PM is built, they would most likely use the WDW technology which is much more reliable than the original. The original used tires attached to electric motors that spun the tires and propelled the cars forward. The WDW version uses linear induction motors which have no moving parts. They simply use metal plates attached to the cars and are propelled by electromagnets in the track. The big disadvantage to the WDW system is that it can't go uphill or downhill; the track must be completely horizontal.
    Everyone is entitled to an informed opinion.
    Harlan Ellison

I may not be the brightest bulb on the Christmas tree, but I do shine.

Texan by birth, Californian by choice.

There should be a sticky thread called "This Day in Disney History." The company has a long history and this would be a good way to acknowledge it. Walt was born 112 years ago; that's quite a chunk of American history and culture.

• Banned User

Peoplemover was a type of attraction some refer to as a "touring" attraction. The railroad and Mark Twain/Columbia are also of this type. They're relaxing attractions that provide a sort of "tour" of an area, encouraging you to soak up visuals and atmosphere rather than focusing on thrill. Personally I feel they're a perfect counterpoint to the more involved attraction, providing a sort of yin-yang balance to the parks.

• Banned User

I don't have a lot of memories of the PeopleMover. I remember digging the Tron tunnel, and the part where you go through Star Tours and the Stormtrooper right before the entrance.. but that's about it. We didn't go on it every trip as a kid in the 80's, after the late 80's, I'd say my next trip was in '93 on a class field trip, and we didn't ride it, and when I went again with my family in '96 it was gone. I do think people tend to almost mythologize things from their youth though, so every attraction from their childhood was the most amazing thing, since they were seeing it through the eyes of a child. take IASW... as a small kid LOVED LOVED LOVED that ride.. then I rode it again at the age of 13, and I noticed how whack the ceiling looks, all the wires, etc. I never noticed that as a kid. As far as I was concerned there were magic carpers flying high above me.

• I'm wishing

I can't explain the appeal any better than so many here already have. There is just something about that attraction that I can't quite let go of the hope that it will come back someday...my head gets that it's nearly impossible, but my heart keeps hoping that something George K said was meant to give us hope.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast