• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

Disneyland: Working the crowds (Discussion)

http://www.ocregister.com/ocregister...cle_911233.php

The company will restrict access by halting ticket sales to Disneyland once it reaches capacity, which is estimated at 75,000 to 80,000 people. During those peak times, people who already have admission tickets normally will be allowed to enter, but no new tickets will be sold until enough people leave the park. Visitors are encouraged to go next door to California Adventure as an alternative.

Disneyland was so crowded Dec. 10 that it closed the gates to everyone temporarily, something that rarely happens, Storbeck said. Disney has implemented plans since then to avoid another closure, if possible, and to augment its usual crowd-control measures.
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

• Senior Minion

Re: Disneyland: Working the crowds - Orange County Register, 12/23/05

Wow, What a record year. It seems like there have been a lot of closures this year.
    1st Amendment-Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

• The Fantasyland guy

Re: Disneyland: Working the crowds (Discussion)

I would be curious what "implemented plans" Disney has come up with for the park. Does anyoen have any idea what counter measures they have come up with? Or is "implemented plans" a reference to "CT's" coming back to work?

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen

All I can say is...shutting down Snow White was a bad idea.

I think Monster's Inc. will help the situation slightly once it officially opens.

What they need are more places to stuff people in, like rides. But you can't exactly make a ride in a short period of time to fix crowding problems.

• șoș Tom șoș

I would say Disney ought to consider long term ideas to offset these crowd control issues. Ideas that would cost considerable money.

*Turn Fastpasses off on days when crowds are huge by noon, so people are forced to actually wait in lines again and removes people from paths.
    *Promote smaller attractions with annoucements "Come see such and such where is no waittime currently" etc.
    *Once at capacity open walkway areas behind Main St and one way exits of the park for those leaving from the walk ways---*** This would require them retheming the backside of those alleys eventually.
    *At the ticket windows- it would behoove Disney to discount DCA prices briefly during a hiatus to encourage overflow into the other park and or offer places on Main Street to upgrade from a one day to a park hopper so folks can exit Disneyland and visit DCA, acting like a balance.

• Circle of Ancients

I think that when it's projected to be that busy (this week, NYE, etc) they should give away DCA for the one-day price.

Personally I think they should re-think the 75-80,000 maximum. When it gets that full, it seriously degrades the experience. Nobody likes it when they are pushed and shoved and poked going from attraction to attraction. It leaves a very bad taste in ones mouth, something I would think that TDA would be concerned about.