• Planning my next trip...

Is BTMRR slated to go under for extensive refurbishment soon? What's the plan?

We're planning a trip the 3rd or 4th week in August (hopefully summer crowds will have died down), but I remember hearing that BTMRR was going to be closing shortly after the summer rush for a long rehab. Am I remembering correctly? If so, is there a set date for the closure?

Re: Is BTMRR slated to go under for extensive refurbishment soon? What's the plan?

Even if Thunder is going down after the summer, they typically don't start big refurbs/closures until after Labor Day. I think the summer crowds will be slightly better, but I have a feeling that this is going to be the busiest summer DLR has ever had. Plan for it to be busy, be pleasantly surprised if it isn't.

• Seeker of Fun

Re: Is BTMRR slated to go under for extensive refurbishment soon? What's the plan?

I haven't heard anything about a refurb for Big Thunder??
    Stockholder and Walt Disney Autograph holder!!

• Under that tree again!

Quote Originally Posted by SpcMtn77 View Post
    We're planning a trip the 3rd or 4th week in August (hopefully summer crowds will have died down),
    The 3rd week(20th to 24th) is when SoCal APs get unblocked after there long summer blockout period, you can expect it to be very busy. The 4th week with low crowds is when rehabs can start, especially long once that need to finish by October, Thanksgiving or Christmas week. When rehabs go longer than those periods, it usually waits until after Labor Day.

If you want all attractions running got earlier in June, the crowds will be large but are managable midweek.

Quote Originally Posted by 4Apples4Disney View Post
    I haven't heard anything about a refurb for Big Thunder??
    Thunder needs it though, it looks a little rough around the edges.

• Closed Account

They need to fix that sensor that always screws up around dusk and shuts the ride down for 45 mins...other than that it looks it is smooth. Remember 8 years ago it had a huge refurb and safety inspection.Indy...well that's a whole nother' ballgame.

• Banned User

Bring back burning cabin!

• Planning my next trip...

Quote Originally Posted by SoarinMatt View Post
    Even if Thunder is going down after the summer, they typically don't start big refurbs/closures until after Labor Day. I think the summer crowds will be slightly better, but I have a feeling that this is going to be the busiest summer DLR has ever had. Plan for it to be busy, be pleasantly surprised if it isn't.
    Quote Originally Posted by swampymarsh View Post
    The 3rd week(20th to 24th) is when SoCal APs get unblocked after there long summer blockout period, you can expect it to be very busy.
    Yikes!! I wonder if TouringPlans.com had considered this when estimating a 4-5 out of 10 on the crowd calendar.

• Minion

I find Touring Plans to be wrong quite frequently at the DLR. My understanding is that it's more accurate at WDW.

As for BTMRR, I really can't imagine why they'd take any E-ticket down for a major refurb before they did Indy. Stranger things have happened, sure, but it would be pretty short-sighted to fully take down one E-ticket when another one is just barely limping along. I could see BTMRR go down for a few days, but not a major refurb.

• Buena Vista St. & Red Car

From Al Lutz.
    Once the Matterhorn reopens in mid June, they’ll try to get through this summer without any rehabs planned for Disneyland. But by late August two big attractions will need to close for a long rehab; Big Thunder Mountain Railroad, and the Fantasyland Theater. The rehab at Big Thunder Mountain Railroad will last for months and is largely a technical and hardware one, with the old ride control system still based on its 1979 ancestry completely replaced with 21st century technology.
    A Sense of Place - MiceAge.com

BTMRR is probably my favorite ride at DL. I really hope they do some cosmetic changes to the ride. It could use some freshening. A new paint job in lieu of the Matterhorn would be nice. The rockrock is really great but the closer you get, the more dated it looks. Really pales when compared to the pictures coming out of Cars Land of the amazing Cadillac Range/Ornament Valley, the new Matterhorn paint job and resurfacing, and the great little Grizzly Peak in HKDL's new Grizzly Gulch (heck even DCA's Grizzly Peak). Some refreshing of the AA's, clean up the landscaping, redo and clean up the beautiful queue a bit, and something I would love for them to do but they never would is change or get rid of the "floor lighting" in the queue. The grate lighting in the rocks of the queue for the path lighting are just UGLY and idk, something people would SLAM on sites like this if it were to be built like that nowadays. I welcome a nice refreshing of BTMRR.

• Disneyland History Lover

I, too, would not mind seeing some new scenery installed. I would not want to lose the Mine Train critters that are all around the ride, but I would like to see some new effects. The Rainbow Caverns tribute on the first lift comes to mind as something that could use updated effects. If they could make it more similar to the actual Caverns, and perhaps get that eerily amazing soundtrack in there somehow, I would be extremely happy.

didn't BTMRR just do a major refurb last year?

• Done with MC.

So is the BTMRR thing a sure bet? If so then we may very well delay our trip until the following May.