Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• keh!

Re: After seeing all the cool new pictures from Buena Vista street....

i don't miss it at all. it was a lazy entrance. i'm not 100% impressed with Buena Vista St. so far, but i do like it.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Flickering Bulb View Post
    i don't miss it at all. it was a lazy entrance. i'm not 100% impressed with Buena Vista St. so far, but i do like it.
    JUST curious, but what are you not impressed with so far? I hear LOTS of reasons why people may not like CL, even if most are coming around the more pics are reveal, but rarely hear what people dont like about BVS.

• Parking Lot > DCA

Not even one bit.

• Non-Minion

you mean nobody is going to miss the smell of burnt popcorn when you walk in the park?!?!

that's tragic!

the entrance was extremely cheap, although the mural looked pretty decent but it was never really in anyone's sightline so it was over looked constantly
    "If you were thinking, you wouldn't have thought that"

Heck no! I hated sunshine plaza. Can't wait to walk down buena vista street and take a ride in the red car trolly!

• Banned User

I miss the murals. I wish they had found a way to preserve those.

• My Children's Father

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    I will miss the music and eating icecream while watching the feral cats that lived under the train.
    +1. Associating "I Love LA" with watching the Dodgers win, I frequently shed tears of joy upon hearing that particular tune

Quote Originally Posted by brenden
    I miss the murals. I wish they had found a way to preserve those.
    Disney has a long history of destroying/painting over/covering up murals. Why change now?
    "She's taking everything. She's taking the house, she's taking the kid, she's taking the dog. IT'S NOT EVEN HER DOG. IT'S MY DOG! SHE'S TAKING . . . MY DOG!"
    - Ron Livingston, "Band of Brothers"

• Minion

The only thing that I really miss is that cool ice cream place near the entrance. Lots of fun had there.

• formerly very helpful

Quote Originally Posted by TylerDurden View Post
    I'm going to miss the music and the memories associated with it. Where me and some other people differ is that I can enjoy a theme park that's fun. I loved getting ice cream in that train...I loved jamming to the Beach Boys looking forward to a fun day at the parks. The water fountain was nice and the forest behind it gave the area some greenery...plus it served as a better hub IMO because it allowed for visuals from Condor Flats, HPB, and Grizzly Peak to come together. No, none of it made coherent sense but it was just fun and that's all you need to start a day at the theme park! Plus it reminds me of when DCA was empty and relaxed and when me and my family had some great vacations there.

That being said, BVS looks amazing and I can't wait for it to open up.
    This about sums it up for me.

I think Sunshine Plaza and the entrance were the smallest problem with DCA 1.0. If they had invested more money and effort into the park from its conception, put in more attractions - and not just some spinners, but REAL Disney attractions, DCA would have been much better and built up a greater following, even with the Sunshine Plaza and Entry way there like they built it.

But I still think Buena Vista Street will be GORGEOUS!

• Minion

Okay, while I'm not sad to see it go, there will still always be some sort of nostalgia associated with Sunshine Plaza. Most notably for me the time I spent the whole night there waiting to enter DL on its 50th birthday. I'll always remember the CMs serving up coffee and pastries at Baker's Field Bakery who remained in high spirits even though it was some ungodly hour like 2 or 3am. People with blankets and even air mattresses spread out around the plaza, trying to get some kind of sleep. Ah, memories....

I guess the music. It kind of defined DCA from Disneyland, and maybe not in the best way but still... can't beat the memory of entering to "Do You Know the Way to San Jose?" or "I Love LA"... these songs pretty much became associated with the park for me.

The actual details of the entrance I could care less about. Maybe the train. Maybe.

• Senior Minion

The train is the only thing I kind of miss, but to me that's such a small sacrifice and I love how BVS is looking. I have a feeling that this is really the part of the remodel that's going to pay off big for Disney. Sunshine Plaza was really poorly designed as far as getting guests to enter the shops. It just funneled you through and didn't have many welcoming openings, with the train area being the notable exception.

Now with the new small shops each with their own entrance and interior design, guests will really be encouraged to enter one and then explore all the shops. This of course will give them many more opportunities to see something they might not have bought otherwise. I have a feeling the income from the area will at least double per guest.

I didn't care for any aspect of the concept, the design or the execution. I thought it was by far the worst entry area Disney has ever made. But those are all debatable and there were a few elements that I thought were kind of cool. But I think its failure as a retail environment is an obvious fact and I'm confident BVS will be a huge success.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
    The train is the only thing I kind of miss, but to me that's such a small sacrifice and I love how BVS is looking. I have a feeling that this is really the part of the remodel that's going to pay off big for Disney. Sunshine Plaza was really poorly designed as far as getting guests to enter the shops. It just funneled you through and didn't have many welcoming openings, with the train area being the notable exception.

Now with the new small shops each with their own entrance and interior design, guests will really be encouraged to enter one and then explore all the shops. This of course will give them many more opportunities to see something they might not have bought otherwise. I have a feeling the income from the area will at least double per guest.

I didn't care for any aspect of the concept, the design or the execution. I thought it was by far the worst entry area Disney has ever made. But those are all debatable and there were a few elements that I thought were kind of cool. But I think its failure as a retail environment is an obvious fact and I'm confident BVS will be a huge success.
    You said it well! And for me, that was the one thing I couldnt understand about Sunshine Plaza and that was the really bad design and bland exterior of the stores?

If Disney has taught me nothing else in life, the one thing it did is if you want to get people in a store, you make it inviting! DCA was built with the ENTIRE purpose to shop basically but then the stores themselves were tacky and/or dull. It looked like a bad version of City Walk! You would think if they got NOTHING else in the park right, the entrance would seem like the one thing they wouldve doubled their efforts if for no reason for people to stick around to buy stuff like what was done for MS! I dont think I spent more than 20 mins in Sunshine plaza all the times I went there. There was no reason to stick around. I think I stayed maybe longer than that once to watch the MSEP there and thats it!

Anyway, it sucked! BVS will definitely be a step up by a thousand and yes, people will buy because the shops actually look interesting and will definitely get people inside like so many do in DL!

And no dude, you're not wrong, it was the worst entry Disney ever made, bar none! You know how I know, because it was the first entry in Disney theme park history that was paved over for a new one!

BVS is litterally setting precedent and thats how much Sunshine Plaza sucked!!!!

• Park Lover

I don't know....I liked it. I liked that it was different than all the other parks. I loved the music. I loved the murals. I loved the big California. Now we have an entrance copied from Disney-MGM Studios in Orlando and BVS is just another "go back in time" theme like Disneyland/MK parks and the Studio park in Florida. *shrug* At least Sunshine Plaza and the old entrance had it's own distinct personality and it's not just a rehash of all the other existing park themes.
    My Disneyland After Dark Flickr set!
    My Disneyland Flickr set!
    My Walt Disney World Flickr set!

• keh!

Quote Originally Posted by WorldDisney View Post
    JUST curious, but what are you not impressed with so far? I hear LOTS of reasons why people may not like CL, even if most are coming around the more pics are reveal, but rarely hear what people dont like about BVS.
    i'm waiting to see how much detail will go on the buildings. if they will age some of them, or how many areas are left blank. i prefer when the detail looks authentic rather than them thinking it's a smaller version, so let's leave out large chunks of detail like DCA's Palace of Fine Arts. there is so much more detail that could have gone into it when compared to the real one in SF, but they left areas blank, thinking just the squares with no real art work inside them was enough. i also don't want WDI to think "it's fine" when The Grove has just the same amount of detail as Disney's theme park facades. Silly Symphony Swings looks like it could have been done by the Caruso Affiliated. some area look a little shopping mall-ish to me, but it's not complete. so chances are the final results will give it that Disney vibe, and not Americana in Glendale.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast