Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 22
  1. #1

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    los angeles
    Posts
    86

    Walt riding Matterhorn

    Not sure if this picture has been posted before. Its Walt testing out Matterhorn. I just love this picture, does anyone else have any old photos of Walt and the park? Thanks!


  2. #2

    • -
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Uijeongbu
    Posts
    6,653

    Re: Walt riding Matterhorn

    Great pic!
    "Greetings, Starfighter! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Xur and the Ko-Dan Armada."

  3. #3

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Salt Lake
    Posts
    1,952

    Re: Walt riding Matterhorn

    Love it!
    BGood! It's not just my motto its my name!

  4. #4

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    1,421

    Re: Walt riding Matterhorn

    THAT is old school! Wow!

  5. #5

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    506

    Re: Walt riding Matterhorn

    Awesome picture.
    I believe my future must be brighter than my past. Without that belief, I'm just waiting to die.
    --> Zero to Hero Transformation

  6. #6

    • Mischievous Mouse
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    1178 Miles North of Disneyland
    Posts
    2,434

    Re: Walt riding Matterhorn

    love it

    ---------- Post added 05-01-2012 at 03:01 PM ----------

    love it


    "We believed in our idea - a family park where parents and children could have fun- together."

    -Walt Disney

  7. #7

    • Parking Lot > DCA
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Orange County, CA
    Posts
    4,644

    Re: Walt riding Matterhorn

    So awesome!

  8. #8

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    1,482

    Re: Walt riding Matterhorn

    When I first saw this thread, I thought it was gonna be a spin-off of the "Hologram" thread. :P

    This is awesome. It's a shame that no one really goes to Disneyland in this kind of attire except on Dapper Days. It's also really interesting to see the Matterhorn without a steel skeleton or mountain.

  9. #9

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    los angeles
    Posts
    86

    Re: Walt riding Matterhorn

    Here's another, Walt riding IASW on its official opening day in May of 1966.


    ---------- Post added 05-01-2012 at 05:53 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by ohmyjustin View Post

    This is awesome. It's a shame that no one really goes to Disneyland in this kind of attire except on Dapper Days. It's also really interesting to see the Matterhorn without a steel skeleton or mountain.
    I think all us MCers should try and dress our very best when we visit the resort. Maybe one day others would follow suit as well and everyone in the park would look dapper.

  10. #10

    • Junior Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    4,952

    Re: Walt riding Matterhorn

    Quote Originally Posted by ohmyjustin View Post
    When I first saw this thread, I thought it was gonna be a spin-off of the "Hologram" thread. :P

    This is awesome. It's a shame that no one really goes to Disneyland in this kind of attire except on Dapper Days. It's also really interesting to see the Matterhorn without a steel skeleton or mountain.
    It's just a different era. People used to get dressed up to go to the movies and to fly on planes. Now it's flip-flops, t-shirts and shorts everywhere.

    I don't know what you mean when you say it's interesting to see the Matterhorn without a steel skeleton or mountain - maybe you meant Matterhorn queue? The mountain is not visible in this picture (though you can see the continuing construction of the queue). Without the steel skeleton, there would be no mountain, no Matterhorn.

  11. #11

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    los angeles
    Posts
    86

    Re: Walt riding Matterhorn


  12. #12

    • MaliBOOMer
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    1,390

    Re: Walt riding Matterhorn

    I saw a video of him riding the Matterhorn in a documentary some where.
    Favorite Ride: Tower of Terror

  13. #13

    • Beach Expert
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after
    Posts
    10,752

    Re: Walt riding Matterhorn

    Cool pic! Reminds me of a picture I saw somewhere of Walter Knott riding the Log Ride. Classic stuff!

  14. #14

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    1,482

    Re: Walt riding Matterhorn

    Quote Originally Posted by Mojave View Post
    It's just a different era. People used to get dressed up to go to the movies and to fly on planes. Now it's flip-flops, t-shirts and shorts everywhere.

    I don't know what you mean when you say it's interesting to see the Matterhorn without a steel skeleton or mountain - maybe you meant Matterhorn queue? The mountain is not visible in this picture (though you can see the continuing construction of the queue). Without the steel skeleton, there would be no mountain, no Matterhorn.
    Everything's gone comfy/casual. Not that I don't think the movies or airplanes are the place to be as comfortable as possible, I just wish that people would wear something a bit nicer than their most ill-fitting shirts and shorts to Disneyland. It's nice to know that at least one location in DLR enforces a dress code, though. Glad that hasn't gone anywhere.

    I just meant that it's pretty cool to see the ride completely out of the current context. In the picture, it's just a coaster. We're so used to seeing the train rush through a massive mountain complete with trees and water effects that I sometimes forget it really is just a coaster with some theming around it.

  15. #15

    • Bring back the Keelboats!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Lompoc, CA
    Posts
    2,393

    Re: Walt riding Matterhorn

    Very nice pics! Hope some more like them are shared.

    Hidden Mickey - Historical fiction about Walt that mixes action and mystery with time travel and fantasy! Tweens to adults will enjoy these novels. And now, three gamebooks to play in Disneyland, DCA and WDW Magic Kingdom!


    Check out my six action/adventure novels about Walt's lost diary and his epic quest. Visit my blog page!


    Sometimes Dead Men DO Tell Tales!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. [Chat] I'd lost my beloved Indy fedora hat while riding Matterhorn!
    By LangenFox in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 12-26-2011, 06:55 PM
  2. [Question] did i really see the rafters INSIDE the matterhorn riding on fantasyland side??
    By fantasnick in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 01-27-2010, 02:07 PM
  3. Replies: 31
    Last Post: 05-18-2008, 07:31 PM
  4. Replies: 14
    Last Post: 11-18-2007, 01:06 PM
  5. Riding the Matterhorn with toddlers
    By The Mad Hatter in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 04-18-2007, 09:53 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •