Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Embrace the kitsch!

Canned spiel for Jungle?

Back in the 90's, there was a trial balloon floated about having a recorded spiel. The idea was quickly defeated and went down as just one more of Pre$$ler's harebrained schemes, but I wonder if now it might not be better that way. The live skip would still be in the boat to drive and operate the CD player or whatever it is, but the spiel would be recorded. The Mark Twain runs like this and it works fine.

Don't get me wrong; I prefer the live skip, but it's more of a "might as well" thing. Seems like every time I ride the JC anymore, I'm the only one even attempting to listen to the spiel. A couple times, I've even seen the skip give up and start playing just to me. As far as the jokes go, well, it's hard to laugh anymore, since the spiels are 90 percent verbatim no matter who's driving the boat.
    Disneyland Historic Preservation Society
    Charter Member

Re: Canned spiel for Jungle?

No. It would take a little magic out of this classic.

The people who talk on the Jungle Cruise and don't pay attention to the speil are the same people who pull out their phone and start texting 30 seconds into every other ride at the parks.

In general a good portion of most park guests today are pretty rude when they go to the parks.

Having a live person on the boat and recorded speil would be worse. People are usually a little quieter when they have a live person telling them what to do. For example on almost every ride although a loud saftey speil proclaims "No Flash Photography" there is always that person that will take pictures until a Cast Member comes over the PA system and tells them to stop.

Plus having a person in the boat that isn't spieling would be quite boring for both parties. Not to mention that the rides repeatability would be instantly gone.

The Jungle Cruise is the original (and one of the last) great Spieling attractions. I'd be devastated to see that part of it ever removed.
    Theme Park Reporter
    -Coaster-net.com
    -WDWNT:The Magazine

The live skipper spiel on the Jungle Cruise is what makes it y'know... the world-famous Jungle Cruise. Taking that away would pretty much be taking away the ride.

• Parking Lot > DCA

As terrible as the jokes have gotten recently, I wouldn't get rid of the live spiel. It's what makes the Jungle Cruise the Jungle Cruise IMO.

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • .-- . .-.. -.-. --- -- .

Quote Originally Posted by explodingboy View Post
    It's what makes the Jungle Cruise the Jungle Cruise IMO.
    ^That! Let's ask Mr. Lasseter what he thinks. Recorded spiel on JC is not going to happen anytime soon.
    Stalking is when two people go for a long romantic walk together but only one of them knows about it.

• formerly very helpful

Instead of even suggesting the idea that since people are talking, so do away with the spiel, they should rework the spiel to include the guests more. Make it more interactive. If the skippers started "heckling" the people who weren't paying attention, more people would start paying attention.

• Honorary Jungle Skipper

Heresy.

What I'd love to really see happen? Skippers get moved from operations to entertainment, made to audition for the role, then are paid more and given a bit more leeway as far as making the spiel their own.

• -

Quote Originally Posted by clockworkmonkey View Post
    What I'd love to really see happen? Skippers get moved from operations to entertainment, made to audition for the role, then are paid more and given a bit more leeway as far as making the spiel their own.
    Excellent idea! That is exactly what I was going to say. They should really make people audition for the job of being a skipper. That way they could get rid of all the people with poor delivery who make the experience in the boat kind of “blah”. People are more apt to listen if the guide is entertaining. I have had great guides make even the most tired jokes seem funny again.

They should also allow for more originality in the spiel. Hiring comedians who can work well with improvisation (similar to Robin Williams or Howie Mandel if anyone has seen their stand-up acts) would be great. It would have to be clean improve, of course, because it is Disney but I believe that this would really freshen up the ride. Really, how many times can we hear about the “backside of water”?
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

The JC is my favorite ride, and has been since I was a small child. What I don't like now is how some (not all) skippers do use the same exact speil every single time. I got the same skipper twice in a day, and his first time he was dull very few jokes, did not address the boat, just all around BLAH. Then later that night we got him again. Talk about BORING .... But they are humans too so I forgive him.

I'd like to see the skippers have a little more umph. The trip before my last I had a few really entertaining lady skips that just had be doubled over laughing. That is what I personally like.

It may be blasphemy to many, but I am in favor of the recorded spiel (not only on Jungle Cruise, but on things like The Great Movie Ride and Kilimanjaro Safaris) as part of a re-imagining of the attraction. I'd like to see JC converted from what it has evolved to be (a self-referential pun-fest) to something closer to what it was intended to be - a more serious, true-life adventure, something with a tone similar to PotC.

This would take a very large investment to make the effects/animals much more theatrical to modern audiences (a static lion won't cut it). One of the riders gets the skipper position at the wheel (ride is automated), and a recorded spiel helps the story along (via the two-way "radio").

With canned, guide-less attractions, you can expect the consistency of an excellent/memorable narration (assuming the script and voice-over are well done,i.e., Haunted Mansion), whereas it's a gamble with live guides.

• -

Quote Originally Posted by RandySavage View Post
    With canned, guide-less attractions, you can expect the consistency of an excellent/memorable narration (assuming the script and voice-over are well done,i.e., Haunted Mansion), whereas it's a gamble with live guides.
    However, a canned spiel cuts down on the repeatability and allows the ride to get stale faster. With human guides who are given the freedom to improvise their acts the ride is different every time and thus makes it a much more repeatable experience.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

It may be blasphemy to many, but I am in favor of the recorded spiel (not only on Jungle Cruise, but on things like The Great Movie Ride and Kilimanjaro Safaris) as part of a re-imagining of the attraction. I'd like to see JC converted from what it has evolved to be (a self-referential pun-fest) to something closer to what it was intended to be - a more serious, true-life adventure, something with a tone similar to PotC.

This would take a very large investment to make the effects/animals much more theatrical to modern audiences (a static lion won't cut it). One of the riders gets the skipper position at the wheel (ride is automated), and a recorded spiel helps the story along (via the two-way "radio").

I can see the point here. This concept is actually a workable one, and I have to say, I'm tired of the script on Jungle. This would be a very expensive overhaul of the attraction, though, and I can't see Disney actually doing it.

• Parking Lot > DCA

This is sort a double edged sword for me. I agree that with a pre-recorded spiel you get the great narration and consistency which is great, but part of the JC's charm is the corniness and humor. If it's pulled off properly, it can be just as great.

• Embrace the kitsch!

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    However, a canned spiel cuts down on the repeatability and allows the ride to get stale faster. With human guides who are given the freedom to improvise their acts the ride is different every time and thus makes it a much more repeatable experience.
    Bold part is the key. In this age where interactivity and repeatability are king, it boggles my mind that skips are discouraged from exercising at least some degree of creativity in their delivery. This is the one attraction that's been built from the beginning for repeatability. That's how the jokes started making their way in in the first place!

Like some people have posted here, I would like to see what the Entertainment Dept. could do w/ JC, but I doubt the existing political structure of DL would permit such a reorganization. Bruce Kimbrell tried it in '97 and the plan crashed on the shoals of DL power politics. Consider also the situation of CM's in general now: high turnover, less commitment to the park.

In sum, the JC has become a sorry sight, an old comic still doing the same jokes 50 years later as the audiences get smaller and smaller. Either revitalize it w/ the new blood it needs or put the poor ride out of its misery and record the spiel.
    Disneyland Historic Preservation Society
    Charter Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast