Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

• MiceAge Columnist

Blog Entries

Talking First Look at Main Street's new Gibson Girl Ice Cream, Candy Palace and Penny Arcade

This morning, after a pre-opening dedication and ribbon cutting, Gibson Girl IceCream, Candy Palace and the Penny Arcade returned from a long refurbishment and opened for business. The "new store smell" is heavy in the air and there were a lot of suits flittering about adjusting and managing.

Let's start with Gibson Girl. In short, it's stunning. They have pushed the service counter to the back wall and lavished beautiful art nouveau wooden ornamentation everywhere.

Hues of chocolate, vanilla and strawberry tint the interior

The menu

The Penny Arcade.
    This is where purists may have a hard time. They have taken the Starcade approach here and used the arcade as a theming element rather than an actual experience. The penny arcade movies are still here, Esmerelda still tells fortunes, and the organ still plays. But they have all been sidelined by a larger cash wrap, a new larger case for pastries, cookies and candies and the like. Regardless, the detail here is top-notch work. Really quite beautiful.

The open entry into Gibson Girl

Looking at the sign from Gibson Girl into Penny Arcade

CANDY PALACE:
    The biggest expansion is, of course, Candy Palace. The tiny kitchen of the past is gone. In place is a kitchen that is three times bigger and even more windows to view the craft of the confectioners. Another possible sour note for some is the removal of the indoor seating for Coke corner. It is now, more Candy Palace.

As with the Emporium and Star Trader expansions, the cash wraps have been pushed to the walls and queues have been installed. This will certainly help with traffic. as there are many more registers than before and less dead space.

Expanded kitchen.

The exit sign above the door.

Standing in Penny Arcade, looking outward towards Candy Palace

Looking to the left of the same spot towards Coke Corner

Further left.

Standing in the center of Candy Palace looking towards Penny Arcade

For purists it may be a move in the wrong direction, veering ever closer to the WDW business model of homogenized stores and eateries. But for this correspondent, it seemed to be a be an adjustment in layout and merchandising that accommodated the spending habits of current visitors without sacrificing the detail or theme.

• Banned User

Re: First Look at Main Street's new Gibson Girl Ice Cream, Candy Palace and Penny Arc

The Coke Corner indoor seating move makes sense: they just added a boatload of tables to the outdoor area for Jolly Holiday (much of it covered), so the few bits of indoor seating eating up the floor space was no longer necessary.

The Penny Arcade thing is a mixed bag: looks great and keeps many of the old Arcade machines and props, but there's no doubt the arcade is more of a store now. So on the one hand it's sad to lose the more pure arcade, but on the other hand it's great that they didn't just outright replace the arcade with a store.

•   
    • ALL DISNEY ALL THE TIME

Blog Entries

Re: First Look at Main Street's new Gibson Girl Ice Cream, Candy Palace and Penny Arc

I love it I cant wait to see it friday morning

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

Thank you for the update Fishbulb. The detail work and colors look great.

I don't think the purists (which I also consider myself) will be overly concerned. The uniqueness of the individual stores was destroyed a long long time ago during the Pressler era. If anything, the detail and theme work here seems to be a step forward rather than another step back.

As much as I'd like to see a return to the actual Penny Arcade, it will never happen.

At this point, we can just be glad that we still have a Fire House and Main Street Cinema. Disney World turned theirs into stores (as well as a loss of Center Street) long ago.

Beautiful photos!

Dusty
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

• Non-Minion

Although I'm a little bummed about the Penny Arcade, It's good to see that DLR is trying to solve the bottleneck issues in those stores.

I gotta say though, that The Gibson Girl Ice Cream renovation looks amazing.
    "If you were thinking, you wouldn't have thought that"

• Johnny and Me!

I would like to thank the In the Parks team for these pics. From the pictures posted on Twitter, it looked like the Penny Arcade machines had been almost completely removed for candy displays. It's nice to see that there are still a fair number of machines left.

• Toad Hall

I want to know how many penny machines are there now. Is there 50% of what was once there or even less. Im not a huge fan of losing so many penny machines because at the end of the day I always spent every bit of change from the day in those machines and loved them. But i understand what the purpose was of it, i just hope they didnt lose a ton of the machines
    <font size=4> </font>

I view it as a win that there is MORE space for the candy making. It would be very easy to make this stuff in an industrial candy so to be able to showcase even more is a win in my book. Frankly I would spend more time watching candy making than using one of the old items in the Penny Arcade.

Seems like the compromises were reasonable on an overall basis. Look forward to seeing it all in person later this summer.
    The Mur

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by In the Parks View Post
    "...there are many more registers than before and less dead space."
    ...In keeping with Paul Pressler's retail-mall mandate that "every square foot of Disneyland should make a profit."

Quote Originally Posted by In the Parks View Post
    ...it seemed to be an adjustment in layout and merchandising that accommodated the spending habits of current visitors without sacrificing the detail or theme.
    In other words, the beautifully themed entertainment of the Penny Arcade has been replaced by a beautifully themed mall store.

Quote Originally Posted by Dustysage View Post
    At this point, we can just be glad that we still have a Fire House and Main Street Cinema. Disney World turned theirs into stores (as well as a loss of Center Street) long ago.
    "Be glad for what Disney gives us, it could be worse" is the sort of faint praise that is heard all too often -- and sadly, is perfectly appropriate for the marketing mall that Disneyland is becoming.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

Ice cream floats? I thought it sank.

Many moons ago, I would spend coin after coin in the Penny Arcade games and the nickelodeons and especially the mechanical baseball games. Sometimes, I was there for nearly an hour after the rest of the park closed.
    Everyone is entitled to an informed opinion.
    Harlan Ellison

I may not be the brightest bulb on the Christmas tree, but I do shine.

Texan by birth, Californian by choice.

There should be a sticky thread called "This Day in Disney History." The company has a long history and this would be a good way to acknowledge it. Walt was born 112 years ago; that's quite a chunk of American history and culture.

• Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    ...In keeping with Paul Pressler's retail-mall mandate that "every square foot of Disneyland should make a profit."
    If you've ever tried to buy candy in that store you'd know that these added registers were SORELY needed. I don't think this is just a "cash grab" but something to help improve the overall flow of those three stores.

Thanks for the pictures Fishy, looks great!!!

• Not on the Jedi Council

I can understand the old machines aren't used much these days. Kinda hard to tear a kid from his smartphone to look at old flip movies, but I hope all the coin stretchers are there somewhere.

• Parking Lot > DCA

Quote Originally Posted by Dustysage View Post
    Thank you for the update Fishbulb. The detail work and colors look great.

I don't think the purists (which I also consider myself) will be overly concerned. The uniqueness of the individual stores was destroyed a long long time ago during the Pressler era. If anything, the detail and theme work here seems to be a step forward rather than another step back.

As much as I'd like to see a return to the actual Penny Arcade, it will never happen.

Beautiful photos!

Dusty
    I agree. There really isn't too much of a loss for purists here. Like you said, if anything the renovations are a step in the right direction. They look great!

Quote Originally Posted by WildForMrToad View Post
    I want to know how many penny machines are there now. Is there 50% of what was once there or even less. Im not a huge fan of losing so many penny machines because at the end of the day I always spent every bit of change from the day in those machines and loved them. But i understand what the purpose was of it, i just hope they didnt lose a ton of the machines
    Echo, Ditto, I agree.

Sad if it breaks up the feng shui, and diminishes the contributions of the old time machines. Some of my best and most vivid memories of Disneyland are when the park has closed and main street is open for an additional hour. I bring a bag of change whenever I come from Hawaii, and I spend the whole last hour in there getting stretched pennies!, giving my kids pennies to watch several little reels, getting our fortune told, watching the Pipe organ play, and being the pupeteer for Pinocchio. I hope that there is still room in there for people to enjoy the penny arcade.

The renovations look fantastic overall. Just count me in as a Penny Arcade purist. Not that I remember what it looked like from before Pressler per se, but I dont want to see a slow demise of the Penny Arcade.

Love the great photos!

Can't wait to stroll around the new places on Main Street when we get there in 14 days! The changes look good to me.
    [Half awake] How many cups of sugar does it take to get to the moon?

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast