Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Re: Besides the D land Resort, favorite places to visit in S. California

Love going to Santa Monica and walking the 3rd St. Promenade. Relaxing on the beach in Laguna is also really nice. Most people seem to find it mediocre but I always make time to grab a bite at Mexicali over in Studio City. I also fell in love with 50/50 Burger last visit lol
    I believe my future must be brighter than my past. Without that belief, I'm just waiting to die. --> http://www.youtube.com/theantidietsecrets

• former CM

Please forgive me for bringing this thread back from the dead (page 3 ), but. . .

I just remembered one of my favorites: Driving around Los Angeles on Sunday mornings!
    There is much less traffic and it's usually so much faster--the earlier in the morning the better.
    Well, don't cross paths with those still driving around drunk from Saturday night, but soon after sunrise is wonderful.
    Turn the Sinatra up to 5 as you drive on Wilshire and imagine you're back in L.A. in the late 40s.
    Wake up your car by driving the speed limit on a freeway!
    Get to Disneyland or the beach really, really quickly!
    Drive to Martha's on 22nd Street in Hermosa Street for breakfast! (If it's still there.)

Sunday mornings on Los Angeles roads can be like a dream!

USH
    Studio City
    Malibu
    Studio Tours

• My Children's Father

Marineland
    Santa's Village
    Adventure City
    Bush Gardens
    Yesterland
    "She's taking everything. She's taking the house, she's taking the kid, she's taking the dog. IT'S NOT EVEN HER DOG. IT'S MY DOG! SHE'S TAKING . . . MY DOG!"
    - Ron Livingston, "Band of Brothers"

Quote Originally Posted by bayouguy View Post
    Carpinteria State Beach.
    Santa Barbara Zoo.
    Fillmore Railroad.
    San Diego Zoo.
    UCLA football at the Rose Bowl.
    A library, any library.
    A Los Angeles Kings game.
    A farmer's market.
    Sitting at a good coffee house.
    GO KINGS GO! seriously, hockey is one of the most fun sports to see live. highly recommend it

• former CM

The Warner Bros, Paramount, and Sony studio tours. Great for people over the ago of 11 who are interested in movies.

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

Here are some of mine:

• Knott's Chicken Dinner Restaurant/Ghost Town/Knott's Scary Farm during early October or last weekend in September. General Ghost Town is a lot quirkier and more character than Frontierland, and very inexpensive compared to DL. The chicken dinner restaurant is definitely a 'retro' type of dining experience and worth doing. And basically, ambiance/crowds/performers and entertainment alone at Haunt wins out over Disneyland in overall experience for the one or two nights a year I go every time, without even factoring in the mazes themselves. That may well be just me though.
    • If you like 'outside the box'/deliberately strange or roadside attraction type places, I highly recommend The Museum Of Jurassic Technology. Don't read too much about it, just go and don't expect it to be normal. Museum of Jurassic Technology.
    • Halloween Club in Carmenita. If you are like me and want to browse giant rubber corpses, bulk packages of fake insects, faux tombstones, and Halloween merchandise/decorations of all sorts in the middle of February, this is a must-do. Very crowded with costume shoppers in actual October. Directly off the I-5 heading towards Disneyland from the north. Information
    • As others have said, the Wild Animal Park (whatever it is currently called) in San Diego is very nice.
    • HalloweenTown, in Burbank. Very classy store with tons of horror/dark subject books and high-end collectibles, art products. vintage Halloween items, horror toys, and the like. Look for Ezra (the hitchhiking ghost) out front.

• former CM

Quote Originally Posted by RegionsBeyond View Post
    Here are some of mine:

• Knott's Chicken Dinner Restaurant/Ghost Town/Knott's Scary Farm during early October or last weekend in September. General Ghost Town is a lot quirkier and more character than Frontierland, and very inexpensive compared to DL. The chicken dinner restaurant is definitely a 'retro' type of dining experience and worth doing. And basically, ambiance/crowds/performers and entertainment alone at Haunt wins out over Disneyland in overall experience for the one or two nights a year I go every time, without even factoring in the mazes themselves. That may well be just me though.
    • If you like 'outside the box'/deliberately strange or roadside attraction type places, I highly recommend The Museum Of Jurassic Technology. Don't read too much about it, just go and don't expect it to be normal. Museum of Jurassic Technology.
    • Halloween Club in Carmenita. If you are like me and want to browse giant rubber corpses, bulk packages of fake insects, faux tombstones, and Halloween merchandise/decorations of all sorts in the middle of February, this is a must-do. Very crowded with costume shoppers in actual October. Directly off the I-5 heading towards Disneyland from the north. Information
    • As others have said, the Wild Animal Park (whatever it is currently called) in San Diego is very nice.
    • HalloweenTown, in Burbank. Very classy store with tons of horror/dark subject books and high-end collectibles, art products. vintage Halloween items, horror toys, and the like. Look for Ezra (the hitchhiking ghost) out front.
    THANKS, RegionsBeyond! I'll check out both Halloween stores.

Most of my friends have loved the Museum of Jurassic Technology, but (except for the art on grains of rice and the trailer home exhibit) I was disappointed in it. Then again, I didn't like the Liberace Museum in Las Vegas, so what do I know.

Have you been to Knott's Chicken Dinner lately? I've liked the pre-scare dinners before the Haunt, and I used to like this restaurant, but some negative reviews about the service and value have kept me away in recent years.

Isn't Knott's Halloween Haunt one of those gatherings that restores your faith in humanity? I'm developing a religious-like devotion for this annual event.

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

Last time I went to Knott's Chicken Dinner restaurant (March) the food quality and portion size seemed the same to me. Biscuits still hot, fresh and delicious, chicken was the same (not the best fried chicken I've ever eaten, but not worse than in the past or non-tasty.).

• Minion

Close to Disneyland, the Orange Circle is an old-fashioned looking block with a fountain in the middle, about 100 years old, so different from most of southern California that it has been used in a few movies and TV shows (the first "Gumball Rally" movie had a scene filmed there). Pleasant circular park in the middle with the fountain, antique shops and restaurants in the buildings surrounding the park. East of Orange up in the hills is Irvine Regional Park, with wilderness trails, a small lake, a small train ride and a small zoo. I don't think anyone has mentioned in this thread the Palm Springs Aerial Tramway, the mountain towns of Idyllwild and Julian (which has good apple pie), Sunrise Highway with its views of the desert, or Torrey Pines State Natural Reserve, Torrey Pines Glider Port and Black's Beach below them, or the famous surfing spot Windansea Beach in La Jolla - which to me typifies the classic southern California beach scene.

• former CM

(With the rise of Disneyland's prices on the 20th, I've seen some posts by Micechatters interested in taking a break from Disneyland and visiting other more affordable places. I'm writing this post on this thread that's been dead for a week, so anyone looking for ideas now could check out this thread before it goes away. . . FOREVER. Like the Electric Light Parade. Grrrrrr.)

42 miles from the Happiest Place on Earth

Quote Originally Posted by jcruise86 View Post
    After your excellent Paramount Ranch post, Sparky,
    I'm curious about the other places on your list of several!

And this is certainly not for everyone, but have any of you
    taken a Dearly Departed tour of L.A.?

It's run by Scott Michaels who used to work on the infamous Graveline Tours.
    That might be fun for some people who come into town for Knott's Scary Farm.
    Yes! I love Scott! I've taken his Dearly Departed Tour, the Helter Skelter tour(a tour dedicated to the Manson Family and the murder sites) and his Hollywood Movie tour. By far my favorite was Dearly Departed. While probably not for kids it's VERY good, and interesting. It's the kind of tour you want to take again and the guides are awesome.

Also around Halloween he does a Horror movie location tour. Haven't been to that one, but I hear it's a lot of fun.
    Disney bucket list:

Go to Club 33
    Tour the Walt Disney Studios
    Work for Disney

• former CM

Quote Originally Posted by StaceeyL View Post
    Yes! I love Scott! I've taken his Dearly Departed Tour, the Helter Skelter tour(a tour dedicated to the Manson Family and the murder sites) and his Hollywood Movie tour. By far my favorite was Dearly Departed. While probably not for kids it's VERY good, and interesting. It's the kind of tour you want to take again and the guides are awesome.

Also around Halloween he does a Horror movie location tour. Haven't been to that one, but I hear it's a lot of fun.
    I can't wait to do this!
    Thanks,
    StaceeyL!

(Note to self: remember Dearly Departed Tours with Scott Michaels!)

• Not the Fallen

Talking Re: Besides the D land Resort, favorite places to visit in S. California

Since I'm from San Diego, I'm a little partial to my home city.
    • Driving to the top of Mt. Helix and watching plays, or simply watching the sunset.
    • Hiking up Cowles Mountain, which offers panoramic views of the Coronado Islands, and sometimes Catalina Island.
    • Walking along La Jolla cove or Torrey Pines after work. The weekdays are the best days to go.
    • Del Mar Race Track: Even if you don't bet, it's fun to get dressed up and cruise the races. Plenty of people watching, and you can see the ocean from certain areas of the grandstand.
    • San Elijo: Great spot to beach camp and catch the sunset. If you bring bikes, you can cruise south to the Solana Beach downtown district, or you may end up at the Del Mar Race Track.
    • Coronado Island: Wonderful to walk the downtown district, and grab a meal. Love checking out the Hotel Del Coronado, as there are usually large bouquets of flowers in the foyer. During Christmas, they replace the flowers with a sky-high Christmas tree and adorn it with beautiful ornaments. They also open an ice rink near the beach during the winter, with all proceeds benefitting charity.

As far as the rest of Southern California:
    • Palm Springs
    • Temecula wine country
    • Camping in the desert
    • Catalina Island. If you go, stay a little inland, away from the downtown district. Yes, it's farther to walk, but the hotels are usually cheaper. I find the golf cart rentals are silly, when you can walk with unlimited access anywhere, whereas the golf carts DO have restrictions.
    • Calico Ghost Town: Went here for my Birthday a few years ago, and it's such a cool place. It was saved by Walter Knott. (Yes, think Knott's Berry Farm) It has plenty of attractions for the kiddos, and offers some really pretty views of the San Bernadino desert.

Besides the Huntington, my favorite "escape" was to Descanso Gardens. Wonderful way to shake off the city and repose in the "country". Really quit the oasis!

---------- Post added 05-30-2012 at 09:56 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Weaver View Post
    Close to Disneyland, the Orange Circle is an old-fashioned looking block with a fountain in the middle, about 100 years old, so different from most of southern California that it has been used in a few movies and TV shows (the first "Gumball Rally" movie had a scene filmed there). Pleasant circular park in the middle with the fountain, antique shops and restaurants in the buildings surrounding the park. East of Orange up in the hills is Irvine Regional Park, with wilderness trails, a small lake, a small train ride and a small zoo. I don't think anyone has mentioned in this thread the Palm Springs Aerial Tramway, the mountain towns of Idyllwild and Julian (which has good apple pie), Sunrise Highway with its views of the desert, or Torrey Pines State Natural Reserve, Torrey Pines Glider Port and Black's Beach below them, or the famous surfing spot Windansea Beach in La Jolla - which to me typifies the classic southern California beach scene.
    Wow, the Orange Circle sounds wonderful! Thanks, Bob. I definitely want to check this out the next time I make a sojourn to the Southland (and I'll add it to my ever-growing list of "Things That Make LA Great" -- which I use when contemplating a move back down there)

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast