Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

• former CM

Re: Besides the D land Resort, favorite places to visit in S. California

With Buena Vista Street opening, visitors to S. Cal might want to check out some other historical and/or sentimental S. Cal architecture on this thread like:
    The Pasadena City Hall (more beautiful than some state capitol buildings), the Huntington in San Marino (just south of Pasadena), the Langham in Pasadena, Balboa Park and The University of San Diego, Union Station, the Malibu Getty, the Beverly Hills Hotel, UCLA, Roy Disney & Frank Wells' school: Pomona College, etc.

OK, Jcruise86, it's time to let go of the thread. That's it. Put the thread down. It's dead.
    Noooooooooo! I LOVE this thread!
    It's going to a better place: page 10.
    Last edited by jcruise86; 07-15-2012 at 10:02 AM.

• former CM

I just thought someone might get an idea for a good place to visit this summer
    from this thread that was dead. This will be my last post here
    UNLESS someone responds. I promise!

I like Sea World, but I'm not too crazy for Legoland (it's a waste of time). I don't really like L.A. or Hollywood, but the Disney Soda Fountain and Studio Store there is nice. Beaches are awesome. Universal Hollywood is okay, it's not great, but it (in my opinion) has a really nice city walk, it's better than Downtown Disney. Maybe that's just because I really like Bubba Gump. Fashion Island is coolio and some of the Marinas/Harbors are fun.
    It means your future hasn't been written yet. No one's has. Your future is whatever you make it. So make it a good one, both of you. - Doc Brown, Back to the Future III
    Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're going to get. -Forrest Gump
    Oh yes, the past can hurt. But the from way I see it, you can either run from it, or... learn from it. - Rafiki, Lion King
    Do or do not. There is no "try".- Yoda, Star Wars
    What are conscience! I'll tell ya! A conscience is that still small voice that people won't listen to. That's just the trouble with the world today... - Jiminy Cricket, Pinocchio
    Think of all the you you'll find when you leave the world behing and bud your cares goodbye. - Peter Pan
    Mama always said, dying was a part of life. I sure wish it wasn't. - Forrest Gump
    Well, you can't never let anything happen to him. Then nothing would ever happen to him. Not much fun for little Harpo. -Dory, Finding Nemo
    You don't understand. These are moments I regret, the memories that I have to change. - Cobb, Inception
    The very things that hold you down are going to lift you up. - Timothy the Mouse, Dumbo
    Well, the road didn't cut through the land like that interstate. It moved with the land, it rose, it fell, it curved. Cars didn't drive on it to make great time. They drove on it to have a great time. - Sally, Cars
    In the past, I have made no secret of my disdain for Chef Gusteau's famous motto: Anyone can cook. But I realize, only now do I truly understand what he meant. Not everyone can become a great artist, but a great artist can come from anywhere. -Anton Ego, Ratatoulli
    Space: the final frontier. These are the voyages of the starship Enterprise. Her ongoing mission: to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life-forms and new civilizations; to boldly go where no one has gone before.- Star Trek
    It takes a great deal of bravery to stand up to your enemies, but a great deal more to stand up to your friends. - Dumbledor, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone
    If you don't think, then you shouldn't talk. - March Hare, Alice in Wonderland
    We don't like what we don't understand. In fact it scares us, snd this monster is mysterious at least.- The Mob, Beauty and the Beast
    What I love most about rivers is you can't step in the same river twice. The water's always changing, always flowing. But people, I guess, can't live like that. We all must pay a price. To be safe we loose our chance of ever knowing what's around the river bend. -Pocahontas
    You're braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think. - Christopher Robin, Winnie the Pooh
    People think I'm odd. So I know how it feels to be different and I know how lonely that can be. - Belle, Beauty and the Beast
    The only thing predictable about life is its unpredictability. -Remy, Ratatouille
    If watching is all you're going to do, then you're going to watch your whole life go by without you, - Laverne, The Hunchback of Notre Dame
    Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something is more important than fear. The brave may not live forever, but the cautious do not live at all. - Eduard Christoff Gerard Renaldi, The Princess Diaries
    You try. You fail. You try. You fail. But the only true failure is when you stop trying. - Madame Leota, The Haunted Mansion
    We are not thriving. True, our people live, but our culture is dying. We are like a stone the ocean beats against. With each passing year a little more of us is worn away. - Princess Kida, Atlantis: The Lost Empire

~~Back to the Future Randomness~~
    Great Scott!
    This is heavy!
    Since you're new here, I-I'm gonna cut you a break, today. So, why don't you make like a tree and get outta here?
    1.21 gigawatts!
    I remember when this was all farmland as far the eye could see. Old man Peabody owned all of this. He had this crazy idea about breeding pine trees.
    Well, that is your name, isn't it? Calvin Klein? It's written all over your underwear.
    Look! There's a rhythmic ceremonial ritual coming up.
    Okay. Time circuit's on. Flux capacitor, fluxing. Engine running. All right.
    Say hi to your mom for me.
    The justice system works swiftly in the future now that they've abolished all lawyers.
    That's about as funny as a screen door on a battleship.
    Butthead.
    Manure! I hate manure!
    Is this a hold up?- No, it's a science experiment!
    Clara was one in a million. One in a billion. One in a googolplex!
    What's your name, dude?- Uh, Mar...Eastwood. Clint Eastwood. -What kind of stupid name is that?

Have a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah day! (Uncle Remus, Song of the South)
    May the odds be ever in your favor. (Effie, The Hunger Games)
    Live long and prosper. (Spock, Star Trek)
    May the force be with you. (Han Solo, Star Wars)

kinda surprised no one said Magic Mountain (from what i saw).

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    Dodger Stadium.
    this year when we go down, we're going to spend a couple days in magic mountain before going to disneyland, and while in MM, were going to try to shoot over to Dodger Stadium, since the Giants will be in town. Being a die hard Giants fan, though, I'm not sure I'll survive to go do disneyland, lol. may just be spending a few days in LA's hospital

Quote Originally Posted by jcruise86 View Post
    I just thought someone might get an idea for a good place to visit this summer
    from this thread that was dead. This will be my last post here
    UNLESS someone responds. I promise!
    Being a fan of the beach, I'd recommend a bike ride down The Strand in South Bay. I really don't know how far it goes, but I ride it through Redondo Beach Pier, Hermosa Beach Pier, and Manhattan Beach Pier (I think it may go all the way to Santa Monica!). You get beautiful views of the ocean (The Strand is literally on the sand) and the women are gorgeous. Jump on the pier during the summer and you'll often see dolphins and sea lions.

On Memorial Day and Labor Day weekends Hermosa Beach throws it's bi-annual Fiesta Hermosa event that opens and closes out summer. It's one of my favorite things to go to. There's numerous arts and craft vendors, fair-like food, a beer garden, and cover bands. The entire city is lively, great places to jump into, and the ocean to hang out at when you get tired of walking around. Trust me, you'll love it. I'm going on sept. 3rd I believe.

There's also the AVP tour (a pro-volleyball tour) in Manhattan Beach and the Hermosa Beach and the Jose Cuervo Volley Ball Tournament. Those are fun because vendors pass out lots of freebies. I usually collect a year's worth of Banana Boat sun block, lots of health food items (free muscle milk protein drinks, vitamin water, protein bars, etc.), and for some reason there's always wine makers passing out awesome coupons (buy one get one free at Ralphs or Vons for example). Just bring a back pack and load it up with goodies.

I hope that was helpful!

Oh, and if you get a chance, take The Strand and take a bike ride to Redondo Beach pier and head over to Captain Kidd's for some sea food. It's no frills and you pay cheap prices for awesome cuts of fish. I got a sword fish sandwich for $4.95. So awesome.

---------- Post added 07-15-2012 at 01:11 PM ----------

Oh yeah, there's a couple of wineries in Malibu that are worth checking out, the best being Saddle Rock. It's located on Ca-1, sits on the bluffs and overlooks the ocean. A phenomenal view and a great place to grab a wonderful glass of wine, a cheese plate, see the beautiful ocean, and take in some nice live music. Go on google and check out Malibu wineries. I think there's at least 4 wineries/tasting rooms.
    This is my signature. There are many like it but this one is mine.

I was just going to post a similar question...so this is helpful! Thanks-

For those that are fans of the beach...are there any that you would say are more family friendly( kids from 2.5 yrs to 12 yrs) than others? We plan on one weekday to spend casually at a beach...just not sure which one we should try out this time
    Jennifer

I personally think the beaches in Orange County are the most family friendly, my favorite being Newport Beach with the boardwalk and peir area. The best beach for kids is Corona Del Mar in Newport Beach - it has fun rock formations that kids can play on and a little private cove beach with caves. A short walk up the street takes you to Little Corona beach which is famous to the locals for it's awesome tide pools. Huntington beach is huge and also has a pier and is famous for being Surf City USA. Seal beach is on the northern end of orange county, has a smaller pier and is probably better for adults because there are lots of restaurants and bars leading up to the sand. Laguna Beach is to the southern end of OC and is awesome for all of it's art galleries, restaurants and laid back feel. Not to be missed is the Wyland Gallery, Laguna Village, and in the summer the Sawdust art festival and the Pageant of the Masters!

I would also like to second the reccomendation of the Orange Circle Historic District! I live in Orange and this is one of my favorite places to hang out. There is the amazing Watson's drug store and soda fountain that was used in the movie That Thing You Do with Liv Tyler and Tom Hanks and tons of awesome antiques shops filled with antiques and Americana. It's like going through museums where everything is for sale. There are too many fantastic restaurants to name and the archetecture of the houses and the public buildings ranges from the 1880s to the 1950's. In September they close the whole plaza down and do the International Street Fair which has booths set up down the streets allowing you to sample food and entertainment from different countries of the world. So much fun!

How you get to the Orange Circle from Disneyland:
    Head south on Harbor Blvd for 1 mile, then turn left on Chapman Ave. Drive 3.6 miles on Chapman and you're there! There are FREE public parking lots on Orange Street between Chapman Ave and Almond St and on Olive Street between Chapman and Almond Street.

Quote Originally Posted by Gwenchanter View Post
    I personally think the beaches in Orange County are the most family friendly, my favorite being Newport Beach with the boardwalk and peir area. The best beach for kids is Corona Del Mar in Newport Beach - it has fun rock formations that kids can play on and a little private cove beach with caves. A short walk up the street takes you to Little Corona beach which is famous to the locals for it's awesome tide pools. Huntington beach is huge and also has a pier and is famous for being Surf City USA. Seal beach is on the northern end of orange county, has a smaller pier and is probably better for adults because there are lots of restaurants and bars leading up to the sand. Laguna Beach is to the southern end of OC and is awesome for all of it's art galleries, restaurants and laid back feel. Not to be missed is the Wyland Gallery, Laguna Village, and in the summer the Sawdust art festival and the Pageant of the Masters!

I would also like to second the reccomendation of the Orange Circle Historic District! I live in Orange and this is one of my favorite places to hang out. There is the amazing Watson's drug store and soda fountain that was used in the movie That Thing You Do with Liv Tyler and Tom Hanks and tons of awesome antiques shops filled with antiques and Americana. It's like going through museums where everything is for sale. There are too many fantastic restaurants to name and the archetecture of the houses and the public buildings ranges from the 1880s to the 1950's. In September they close the whole plaza down and do the International Street Fair which has booths set up down the streets allowing you to sample food and entertainment from different countries of the world. So much fun!

Head south on Harbor Blvd for 1 mile, then turn left on Chapman Ave. Drive 3.6 miles on Chapman and you're there! There are FREE public parking lots on Orange Street between Chapman Ave and Almond St and on Olive Street between Chapman and Almond Street.
    We're from Washington and LOVE to visit Orange when we come down to DLR. We have breakfast at Watson's (its like going back a few decades..we love this kinda thing) and then walk around and visit the stores and antique shops. There are a couple little small parks we like, too. Can't remember their names. If I ever get to move to CA, I'm hoping it will be to Orange!
    [Half awake] How many cups of sugar does it take to get to the moon?

Thanks so much! We went to Newport briefly last year, but didn't get a chance to explore...I think we may take more time to do so! And Orange Circle sounds like fun. My MIL is meeting us there and I'm sure she would love this too!
    Jennifer

Quote Originally Posted by jennc04 View Post
    Thanks so much! We went to Newport briefly last year, but didn't get a chance to explore...I think we may take more time to do so! And Orange Circle sounds like fun. My MIL is meeting us there and I'm sure she would love this too!
    Just came back on to say a similar thing. Orange County beaches are probably the best in terms of family-friendliness. Huntington Beach, Laguna....I've been a fan of Dana Point as well. LA County beaches are really busy.

I don't know much about San Diego beaches but I do recall something about lax open container laws down there. I'm not sure (hopefully someone can correct me if I'm wrong), but if true, it's probably a place I wouldn't take my kids to.
    This is my signature. There are many like it but this one is mine.

• formerly very helpful

Quote Originally Posted by jennc04 View Post
    I was just going to post a similar question...so this is helpful! Thanks-

For those that are fans of the beach...are there any that you would say are more family friendly( kids from 2.5 yrs to 12 yrs) than others? We plan on one weekday to spend casually at a beach...just not sure which one we should try out this time
    If you want really tame, in Marina Del Rey there is a place called Mothers' Beach. It's secluded, with no waves, so all you get are families and young children.
    Last edited by sbk1234; 07-16-2012 at 06:25 PM. Reason: Corrected information

• some assembly required

Santa Barbara... my home town. (so yeah, I am biased)

It is, after all, the gateway to SoCal (tho I suppose the other gateway to SoCal is, what? Tijuana?)

Anyway, if you want to see a close cousin of the original Carthay Circle Theatre, check out the SB courthouse. She is the squared off version of the same architechural style. This architecture is repeated thru-out the entire city. A low-slung version can be found at our natural history museum. Not a world class museum, but so nicely done with tons of artistic integrity. The "jewel of the missions" is arguably found in SB (yes, we have a bit of rivalry with San Jaun Capistrano).

We have one of the best zoo's in the country. It is small enough to be incorporated into a day trip.

For a mellow mind bending experience, watch a sun set at one of our oddly south facing beaches... very few places on the west coast will allow you to see a sunset while facing up the beach or even slightly behind you behind hills/mountains in the summer months.

It is an easy drive up the coast for a day trip or even a long weekend. There is a reason it is called the American Riviera. There is a ton to do... I miss it dearly. This post reminds me that I must go back soon.
    ~Jay

"Ahh-chooo!" ~ Walt Disney
    "Bless you." ~ My Grandfather
    (Disneyland, circa 1957)

• former CM

I personally think the beaches in Orange County are the most family friendly, my favorite being Newport Beach with the boardwalk and peir area. The best beach for kids is Corona Del Mar in Newport Beach - it has fun rock formations that kids can play on and a little private cove beach with caves. A short walk up the street takes you to Little Corona beach which is famous to the locals for it's awesome tide pools. Huntington beach is huge and also has a pier and is famous for being Surf City USA. . .
    Thanks for the excellent post, Gwenchanter!
    We'll check out Little Corona Beach & Corona Del Mar.

And remember that the Reagan Library in Simi Valley now has an impressive Disney exhibit.

I'm bad I know, but magic mountain for the thrilling roller coasters.
    Then any beach will do.
    Followed by animal and outdoors activities.
    And last historical sites.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Just an FYI folks -- the Orange County Fair is running now through August 12. It is only a 15 minute drive from the DLR in Costa Mesa. If you're looking for some cheesy fun and fried everything you should check it out!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast