Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

Amusement park attendance rises 4.2 percent in 2005 (Discussion)

This thread is to discuss the release of the Amusement Busienss/Economics Research Associates attendance numbers.

http://micechat.com/forums/micechat-news-archive/16689-amusement-park-attendance-rises-4-2-percent-2005-ap-12-25-05-a.html

I thought about waiting another day to start this thread, as not all the information has been released, including the Worldwide Numbers.

But let's start with a look at the increases the North American Parks got in 2005.

1. Six Flags Great America in Gurnee, Ill., 2.8 million, +24 percent

2. Disneyland in Anaheim, Calif. 14.5 million, +8.5 percent

3. Busch Gardens, Williamsburg, Va., 2.6 million, +8.3 percent

4. Dollywood in Pigeon Forge, Tenn., 2.3 million, +7.3 percent

5. Paramount Canada's Wonderland in Maple, Ontario, 3.6 million, +7 percent

6. Magic Kingdom at Walt Disney World in Orlando, 16.1 million, +6.5 percent

7. Six Flags Great Adventure in Jackson, N.J., 2.9 million, +6 percent

8. Epcot at Walt Disney World in Orlando, 9.9 million, +5.5 percent

9. Busch Gardens Tampa Bay, 4.3 million, +5.1 percent

10. Disney-MGM Studios at Walt Disney World in Orlando, 8.6 million, +5 percent

11. Disney's Animal Kingdom at Walt Disney World in Orlando, 8.2 million, +5 percent

12. Six Flags Magic Mountain in Valencia, Calif., 2.8 million, +5 percent

Industry Average, +4.2 percent

13. Disney's California Adventure in Anaheim, Calif., 5.8 million, +3.6 percent

14. SeaWorld San Diego, 4.1 million, +2.5 percent

15. Adventuredome at Circus Circus in Las Vegas, 4.5 million, +2.3 percent

16. Morey's Piers in Wildwood, N.J., 3.1 million, +1 percent

17. SeaWorld Orlando, 5.6 million, +0.2 percent

First off, the first thing that surprised me was who well Six Flags did this year, guess the Mr. Six advertising paid off.... (and it was a lot less than what Disney spent on Advertising)

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/busin...home-headlines

Six Flags Inc., which invested $135 million in new rides around the nation for the 2005 season, was rewarded with a 5.7 percent increase across the chain, according to Amusement Business. The opening of a water park at its Six Flags Great America park in Gurnee, Ill. helped boost attendance by 24 percent.

"They did very well in their most populace markets," Zoltak said.
    So seeing Magic Mountain above the Industry average caught my eye, especially since USH and Knott's (along with the rest of the Universal and Cedar Fair) didn't have a good year. Some of it was expected, with all the money Disney was spending on Disneyland's 50th Anniversary, you figured that the nearby parks would take a hit. But SFMM's new addition this year was just a new story line for the Batman Stunt Show.

Also, it looked like Disney's plan to make the celebration a worldwide celebration worked, as Florida got a nice hike. (Hopefully the worldwide numbers will be released tomorrow.)

The one North American park under the Industry Average, DCA....

Amazing, even with all the pushing of discounted Multi-Day ParkHoppers to tourest, and local promotions (The "Pay for Disneyland, get DCA for FREE!" ticket was offered January thru April 2005), DCA could only get an additional 170,000 folks in 2005, even though Disneyland got an extra 1,140,000 additional guests.

So almost a million "new" guests were right next door to the DLR, but decided to skip DCA......

I should also congratulate the Busch/SeaWorld parks for a good year.

Hopefully I will be able to have a full list of Disney Parks attendance tommorrow afternoon, as soon as Amusement Business releases the world wide numbers.
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

Re: Amusement park attendance rises 4.2 percent in 2005 (Discussion)

And don't forget, DCA got a Brand New parade, Block Party Bash and Turtle Talk with Crush in the summer, a brand new replacement show. Also, they got Animation Academy in the early fall, another new show (though a replacement for a previous version).

DCA also got a boost by holding a special event, Mickey's Halloween Treat, which added about 30,000 of the additional attendance (about 18% of the total increase).

Thanks for posting these figures.

Although we will never agree about DCA, I do appreciate the information.

Maybe DCA attendance is effected by the constant bashing???
    BRYANT - MEGADISNEY
    Owner/Travel Advisor - Magical Partners Travel
    Walt Disney Company Stockholder
    D23 Charter Member

• Now in Texas!

I saw another sort of this data over at cnn.com (in attendance order), which showed that DCA pulled in more guests than Universal IOA or Sea World Orlando. I like DCA but I would have guessed that those other parks are a tier above DCA in entertainment quality and quantity. I was surprised DCA did so well. Being next door to Disneyland does have it's perks!

Sue in Sacramento

here's cnn's list:

The top 10 best-attended North American amusement parks in 2005, their attendance and the percentage change from last year:

1. Magic Kingdom at Walt Disney World, Florida, 16.1 million, +6.5 percent
    2. Disneyland, California, 14.5 million, +8.5 percent
    3. Epcot at Walt Disney World, Florida, 9.9 million, +5.5 percent
    4. Disney-MGM Studios at Walt Disney World, Florida, 8.6 million, +5 percent
    5. Disney's Animal Kingdom at Walt Disney World, Florida, 8.2 million, +5 percent
    6. Universal Studios, Florida, 6.1 million, -8.5 percent
    7. Disney's California Adventure, 5.8 million, +3.6 percent
    8. Islands of Adventure at Universal Orlando, Florida, 5.76 million, -8.5 percent
    9. SeaWorld, Florida, 5.6 million, +0.2 percent
    10. Universal Studios, California, 4.7 million, -6 percent

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

In the first link in this thread, there is a link to the MiceChat News section, the entire North American Top 25 list is posted with numbers and percent increases and decreases.

• Long Distance Imagineer

Were DLR's increases surpassing WDWMK in the past? I'm wondering how much of this is from the 50th celebration.

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-f...lines-business

When tourism rebounded this year, both in terms of international travelers coming to the United States and Americans traveling to domestic destinations, that investment in new attractions paid off for Disney, Zoltak said.

And while Universal and some other parks recorded lower attendance, the growth in tourism and investment in new attractions helped some rivals register gains. SeaWorld San Diego nudged up 2.5% to 4.1 million and Six Flags Magic Mountain rose 5% to 2.8 million. Overall, Six Flags, which poured millions of dollars into new rides at its parks nationwide, posted a 5.7% increase.

Disney also juiced its attendance with heavy spending on both coasts for its 50th-anniversary celebration. Disney, however, declined to comment on the attendance estimates except to confirm that the numbers were up.

"My guess is that Disneyland's numbers were even higher," said Al Lutz, who maintains the MiceAge fan website.

Crowds of 60,000 to 80,000 on some days have prompted Disney to put up signs directing visitors to the California Adventure park, which fronts Disneyland. That in turn, Lutz said, has pushed the smaller park's attendance figures higher.

Attendance at Knott's Berry Farm, which is within view of one of the towers of the Disneyland hotel, fell 3% to just less than 3.5%.

"A lot of that decline comes from Disney cannibalizing" other parks' business this year, said Lance Hart, who operates the Screamscape amusement park information site.

• Huh?

These statistics just confirm my suspicions: DCA isn't really *that* much of a failure when compared with the rest of the industry based on attendance alone.

It may be the lowest attended Disney park in the country, but look at the figures: It still beats EVERY non-Disney park. Most of the biggest parks are lucky to get almost 3 million visitors. At almost 6 million, double the attendance of the industry leaders, where's the true failure?
    -Tim

• The Candidate

Quote Originally Posted by Darkbeer
    12. Six Flags Magic Mountain in Valencia, Calif., 2.8 million, +5 percent

First off, the first thing that surprised me was who well Six Flags did this year, guess the Mr. Six advertising paid off.... (and it was a lot less than what Disney spent on Advertising)

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/busin...home-headlines

So seeing Magic Mountain above the Industry average caught my eye, especially since USH and Knott's (along with the rest of the Universal and Cedar Fair) didn't have a good year. Some of it was expected, with all the money Disney was spending on Disneyland's 50th Anniversary, you figured that the nearby parks would take a hit. But SFMM's new addition this year was just a new story line for the Batman Stunt Show.
    Percentage increases can be deceiving. If I remember correctly, Magic Mountain had a horrible year in 2004. Therefore, an increase is easier. Also, they have reduced the price of their annual passes, which will drive admissions but not always revenue. I think Disney AP holders are more likely to spend money during their visits than Six Flags visitors. Finally, how many of those admissions didn't pay anything to get into the park?

• Will return Soon...

Well if its considered a failure from having such a small increase (which i think it isnt!) i guess Universal is considered a Catastrophe with there huge decreases in attendance!

At least thus far DCA has only had increases since its opening

• The Candidate

Quote Originally Posted by Darkbeer
    I should also congratulate the Busch/SeaWorld parks for a good year.
    California Adventure outdrew all of these parks and beat SeaWorld's percentage increases.

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bigglesworth003
    At least thus far DCA has only had increases since its opening
    In 2002, DCA had a 6% DECREASE, losing 300,000 in attendance as compared to 2001.

FYI, Disneyland had a 3% Increase in 2002.

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by FrumiousBoojum
    These statistics just confirm my suspicions: DCA isn't really *that* much of a failure when compared with the rest of the industry based on attendance alone.

It may be the lowest attended Disney park in the country, but look at the figures: It still beats EVERY non-Disney park. Most of the biggest parks are lucky to get almost 3 million visitors. At almost 6 million, double the attendance of the industry leaders, where's the true failure?
    Well, first off, Universal Studios Orlando had a larger yearly attendance than DCA.

And with the AB/ERA numbers, there is an important number missing.

Average Daily Attendance.

Many Non-Disney parks beat out DCA in this number.

Parks like Cedar Point are only open about 1/3 of the year, due to weather considerations, and it's daily attendance is over twice as big as DCA.

• Circle of Ancients

I think it's funny that DCA get's railroaded for getting an increase yet USH seems to be getting a free ride even though they has a 6% decrease.

DCA:

Reasons why they got an increase: They are giving the park away ... they are directing people to DCA when DL is full ... It's right next to DL ... They added new shows. Sure ... this is all true but you guys act like it's a bad thing.

Yes Block Party Bash was cool ... Crush's thing is cool. But were they advertised seperate from what came to DL??? I don't think I ever saw an advertisement for Crush. Let's not forget that Disneyland is the park celebrating it's 50th and Space Mtn. came back this year. I'm actually quite impressed that DCA increased it's numbers with all of that competition from DL.

USH

They have BUY A DAY GET A YEAR FREE (Talk about giving the park away) ... added Fear Factor, added War of the Worlds set's to the tram tour, had the food deal, etc. I think it's time that Universal saw that the park either needs to be expanded in a BIG way or this will continue to happen.

So Darkbeer ... how many AP's do you think went to USH this year ... um ... I'd say at least 80% of their attendance is AP's. Yet they still had a 6% decrease.

• The Candidate

I didn't skip going to Universal this year because of DL's Bday - in fact I didn't go to DL this year until last week. I haven't gone to Universal because it is stagnant. They haven't added anything to the tram ride (not including set pieces) for years. The Mummy was a bomb. A new show is not going to get me into the park unless it is something major like Waterworld. Compare this to all that they have taken away from the park and I think that you'll have the real explanation for their decline.

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast