Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 25 of 25
  1. #16

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    125

    Re: Please help me convince my family that Disneyland is about the WHOLE experience!

    Well I don't really have any advice on how to convince them. Maybe you can bribe them a little... I know it would work for me

    I see quite a few saying they think it has to do with childhood memories, growing up Disney, or things similar. But I don't think that is always the case. For instance, I've only been to Disneyland twice; once when I was about 6 and once for my Grade Nite 12 years ago. And all this time I've lived only about 90 minutes away!

    We are about to get SoCal AP and I'm very, very excited. It will be the first time my husband has gone since 20-some years ago, and we want the WHOLE EXPERIENCE I want to slow down, take it all in, look at everything and just soak in the magic that is Disneyland. I want this to be our special thing we do together to enjoy it and make some magic (for lack of a better word). So to be honest, I think wanting the whole experience versus running to every thrill ride comes with age. Also, when you have to pay for your own tickets, food, and souvenirs, that tends to make you look at things differently and appreciate it.






  2. #17

    • Dive ..... Dive.....
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    2,772

    Re: Please help me convince my family that Disneyland is about the WHOLE experience!

    I also agree with the sentiment to put your foot down; you paid for the visit and drove them there. If they make a scene and refuse to go on the attractions, let them know the day is over. They are 17 years old, asking for a little consideration for the sake of their mom's enjoyment isn't unreasonable.
    Last edited by Seawolf; 05-12-2012 at 01:48 AM.

  3. #18

    • Senior Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    8,890

    Re: Please help me convince my family that Disneyland is about the WHOLE experience!

    Quote Originally Posted by boisemice View Post
    Am I just being unrealistic? How can I help them see that Disney isn't just about fast moving coaster cars and big drops? HELPPPPPPP!
    My advice is to never push, force, insist, cajole, convince, order, browbeat, plead, guilt-trip, manipulate or in any other manner make any family member get on any Disneyland ride if they've firmly said they don't want to. It's a guaranteed lose-lose: you won't enjoy the ride to the fullest and they won't enjoy the ride at all. Worse, the experience could prevent them from ever discovering the ride on their own in the future.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

    - Neil Gabler


  4. #19

    • Dive ..... Dive.....
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    2,772

    Re: Please help me convince my family that Disneyland is about the WHOLE experience!

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    My advice is to never push, force, insist, cajole, convince, order, browbeat, plead, guilt-trip, manipulate or in any other manner make any family member get on any Disneyland ride if they've firmly said they don't want to. It's a guaranteed lose-lose: you won't enjoy the ride to the fullest and they won't enjoy the ride at all. Worse, the experience could prevent them from ever discovering the ride on their own in the future.
    I respectfully disagree, if you let them do whatever at the expense of their mother I don't feel that's right. They have already made up their mind about these attractions and nothing will change that, you will never see them go on Small World voluntarily. At this time I feel it's more important to make them aware of their poor behavior and get them to be more considerate of others. They are almost adults, perhaps they should act more like it. At 17 if my mother asked me to jump, I would have responded how high?

    Quote Originally Posted by Wild Ol' Dan View Post
    Howdy Pards,

    It is a strange, but true fact that life has ages and stages. And the teen age stage ain't necessarily the easiest one ya know. How many times have you heard, "Mom, we're not kids any more!" And, they are right...time is marching on. But, you've been on the trail a little longer than they have and it may be time for a little heart to heart talk with them...

    The important thing is FAMILY. Explain to them that the memories you make together as a family now will stay with them for the rest of their lives.

    It is in the nature of things that they will soon be growing and moving on to have a family of their own.
    But, before they do...you want to have some experiences with them...including the Disneyland experience...that will give them happy memories for their entire lifetimes. But, you are not doing this only for their benefit...you would kinda like to have some happy memories too...some FAMILY memories.

    You can't have family memories if you send them off for four or five hours to be on their own. No...in order to have family memories you have to be together. Now...is it fair to only do the things that they want to do? Or would it be a little more fair if, together, you did both the things they would like to do...and the things you would like to do?

    Once you have had this conversation...and they have agreed on the purpose and fairness of the plan...have another conversation to list the things that would make your visit to Disneyland truly special.

    Try to keep it balanced...fair...and fun for everyone. Talk a little about the Disney spirit...having an attitude open to fun and adventure. Talk a little about the importance of a smile to help make everyone happy, not just yourself. Talk about the mission to create happy memories that will last for all time.
    Challenge them to a day full of happiness...no matter what we are doing...as long as we do it together.

    There is much to learn here...much to see...much to savor and enjoy. I trust everyone might be favorable, for instance, to a citress swirl break... And, in advance of the trip, talk about the movies that inspired the attractions...the history that inspired some of the attractions...and the mix of things Walt put into the park...something for everyone. Take time to enjoy the flowers...talk about the gardens...how the jungle has grown over the years... And...uh...when they are least expecting it...tell 'em you love 'em...that they are the most important people in your world...and that you appreciate their support of your old fashioned, old people ideas...not just today...but always. Walt Disney once said, "We believed in our idea - a family park where parents and children could have fun - together."

    Look em straight in the eye when you are having these heart to heart talks...talk softly...tell the truth.
    None of us are getting any younger. Time is marching on...

    Have a wonderful trip to the Happiest Place on Earth. Take lots of pictures...give lots of hugs...laugh and learn and play together...and don't forget that "I love you" part...that's kinda important.

    Adios for now. Talk to ya on down the trail.

    Wild Ol' Dan

    Precisely, however if they still do not respond after this kind of conversation I would take a more firm approach.
    Last edited by Seawolf; 05-12-2012 at 02:26 AM.

  5. #20

    •   
    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    2,905

    Re: Please help me convince my family that Disneyland is about the WHOLE experience!

    I'm normally in agreement with SeaWolf's opinion...kids and teens need boundaries and they need to know that they can't always have what they want/when they want it. They need to learn to be respectful and considerate of those around them and they also need to learn to compromise.

    However, in this case, and with Disney in general: I'm with Wiggins. People have all sorts of reasons why they want to stay away from certain rides: they're afraid, they're bored, they don't like the ride, they think it's childish, whatever. Disneyland is supposed to be a fun experience, and forcing someone to go on a ride isn't fun for either party--the one being forced or the one doing the forcing. It's a pain in the butt to go to Disneyland with someone who doesn't want to go on a lot of the rides...I've been there and it's frustrating...but going on a ride with someone who doesn't want to be there is just as unpleasant.

    I still think that if the Mom wants to go on Small World or any of the other rides, she should ditch the kids and do it herself. Maybe she doesn't even want to bring the kids on this Disney trip if they're going to be difficult...maybe she should go alone or bring a friend, and have a ball without the grumpy teenagers.

  6. #21

    • MiceChat Moderator
    • ♠ Pirate Wizard ♠
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    The Nebuchadnezzar
    Posts
    1,581
    Blog Entries
    63

    Re: Please help me convince my family that Disneyland is about the WHOLE experience!

    You might be skipping a step.. Let me explain. I LOVE the Alice in Wonderland ride. But I didn't love the ride on its own. I loved the movie first which in turn made me adore the ride. So try getting buying Alice in Wonderland on Blu-Ray and convincing them to watch it. Hopefully they will enjoy it and then the ride will have much more meaning to them and they will actually like.

  7. #22

    • Boise Mouse
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Boise, Idaho
    Posts
    158

    Re: Please help me convince my family that Disneyland is about the WHOLE experience!

    Quote Originally Posted by Wild Ol' Dan View Post
    Howdy Pards,

    It is a strange, but true fact that life has ages and stages. And the teen age stage ain't necessarily the easiest one ya know. How many times have you heard, "Mom, we're not kids any more!" And, they are right...time is marching on. But, you've been on the trail a little longer than they have and it may be time for a little heart to heart talk with them...

    The important thing is FAMILY. Explain to them that the memories you make together as a family now will stay with them for the rest of their lives.

    It is in the nature of things that they will soon be growing and moving on to have a family of their own.
    But, before they do...you want to have some experiences with them...including the Disneyland experience...that will give them happy memories for their entire lifetimes. But, you are not doing this only for their benefit...you would kinda like to have some happy memories too...some FAMILY memories.

    You can't have family memories if you send them off for four or five hours to be on their own. No...in order to have family memories you have to be together. Now...is it fair to only do the things that they want to do? Or would it be a little more fair if, together, you did both the things they would like to do...and the things you would like to do?

    Once you have had this conversation...and they have agreed on the purpose and fairness of the plan...have another conversation to list the things that would make your visit to Disneyland truly special.

    Try to keep it balanced...fair...and fun for everyone. Talk a little about the Disney spirit...having an attitude open to fun and adventure. Talk a little about the importance of a smile to help make everyone happy, not just yourself. Talk about the mission to create happy memories that will last for all time.
    Challenge them to a day full of happiness...no matter what we are doing...as long as we do it together.

    There is much to learn here...much to see...much to savor and enjoy. I trust everyone might be favorable, for instance, to a citress swirl break... And, in advance of the trip, talk about the movies that inspired the attractions...the history that inspired some of the attractions...and the mix of things Walt put into the park...something for everyone. Take time to enjoy the flowers...talk about the gardens...how the jungle has grown over the years... And...uh...when they are least expecting it...tell 'em you love 'em...that they are the most important people in your world...and that you appreciate their support of your old fashioned, old people ideas...not just today...but always. Walt Disney once said, "We believed in our idea - a family park where parents and children could have fun - together."

    Look em straight in the eye when you are having these heart to heart talks...talk softly...tell the truth.
    None of us are getting any younger. Time is marching on...

    Have a wonderful trip to the Happiest Place on Earth. Take lots of pictures...give lots of hugs...laugh and learn and play together...and don't forget that "I love you" part...that's kinda important.

    Adios for now. Talk to ya on down the trail.

    Wild Ol' Dan

    Thank you Ol' Dan! This is exactly what I needed. The ideas about getting them more involved over the next couple of weeks will work great. I actually just had a conversation with my son, and he is already on board with some ideas.

    I feel like I miss represented my kids in some way, as some here have made it out that they are total spoiled brats.... it's not that at all. They are respectful, reasonable and mature kids. We don't want to bribe, force, or push them into anything. We realize that they are old enough to go on their own, but we would rather stay together as a family, and actually, so do they. They will happily do anything that we ask them to - with a smile and not a snotty attitude. Our kids are not like that. I just wanted some insight on how we can get them to go and possibly see it with that "classic" sense that I see it with, and want to make those nostalgic memories. I don't want them to look at slow dark boat rides as just boring. Heck, the same kinds of things that will help our kids see the nostalgia of Disney will help me get my husband on the classic rides as well. He had never been to Disneyland until he met me, and he enjoys it, but he does not have the love for Disney that I do. I would go every weekend if I could. Our "every-other year plan" is good enough for him. When I told him I wanted to spend some time in Fantasyland and ToonTown this time, he looked at me like I was nuts, too




  8. #23

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    429

    Re: Please help me convince my family that Disneyland is about the WHOLE experience!

    I am so lucky that my kids like all those rides. The last time we went we only had one day and our youngest was 9 so we decided to skip FL. Afterwards they all said how the trip wasn't complete without going to FL and they missed it. The oldest was 15 at the time. And my kids don't like to go off on their own either. We usually go with cousins who are within a few years of my oldest and they don't like going off either. They like to be with the family. I love it. I've got great kids and so do my sisters. Good luck with your kids. It would break my heart if mine had that attitude.

  9. #24

    • world class bilge rat
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Fernley, NV (Near Reno)
    Posts
    13,496

    Re: Please help me convince my family that Disneyland is about the WHOLE experience!

    I'm 55, single and have a daughter who is 18.

    When she was 11, her mother (my wife) passed away. A few months later, I decided to take her to DL. The last time we were there, she was in a stroller.

    We had the time of our lives!!

    The next year, I took her and 3 of her friends to DL for 3 days, and have done so each year since. Usually, it's her, her best friend, and two others; different ones each time.

    Most of the time, we spend the first part of each day together, then the kids will 'ditch dad', and run around on their own. They'll call me when they're hungry or want to ride something with me, but I spend a lot of time in the parks alone.

    This is great, I like the more mellow rides, they like the wild ones that only insane people go on.

    Lol.

    Everyone has a great time, there's no drama at all about who wants to do what. The kids get along very well, and I get to ride whatever I want.

    Nothing good is ever going to come out of forcing someone to do something they don't want to. DL is supposed to be about enjoying yourself, not having someone elses idea of fun shoved on you.

    No two people will enjoy DL in exactly the same way. The best time will be had if each persons uniqueness is respected.

    Rob

  10. #25

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    161

    Re: Please help me convince my family that Disneyland is about the WHOLE experience!

    Quote Originally Posted by boisemice View Post
    How can I help them see that Disney isn't just about fast moving coaster cars and big drops? HELPPPPPPP!
    I suppose there isn't much you can do about that when it comes to 17 year olds, or just teens of that age. To me, it seems your children have already made their minds up about DLR. If they grew up watching Disney films, then it'd be way easier for them to appreciate the parks, to see the "magic".


    I think you should just tell them that you just want for all of you to have a good time and just enjoy yourselves. Have fun. Because it sure beats doing anything else they probably like doing. Just spend some good family time together.

    If they think that is too much of them to ask for, then accept it for what it is and let them grow out of that phase. Because yep. Its a phase.
    ~things are looking mighty satisfactual~

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. [Chat] Favorite scenic elements/props in Disneyland attractions or the whole park?
    By RegionsBeyond in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 05-02-2011, 12:58 PM
  2. [Fun] The Top 20 Mistakes that Disneyland made during the 90's
    By DL_CRAZE in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 108
    Last Post: 07-29-2008, 03:13 PM
  3. Replies: 12
    Last Post: 11-23-2006, 11:09 PM
  4. Should I work at disneyland?please help
    By Jungle Cruise Gal in forum Break Room
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 10-13-2006, 01:25 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •