Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Boise Mouse

Wink Please help me convince my family that Disneyland is about the WHOLE experience!

Dear MiceChatters I need some ideas on how to convince my teens that DLR is not just about e-ticket thrill rides. I said to my 17 year old daughter and son yesterday, "This time, I want to go on EVERYTHING... including all of the rides you guys have snubbed me on in the past. It's about the magic and the whole experience. I want you to have memories of Splash, Space, and Soarin', as well as Toon Spin, It's A Small World, and Peter Pan." They looked at me like I was nuts! I LOVE all that Disney has to offer, but my kids only want to do the "big people rides". We have been three times to DLR and once to WDW, and we have yet to completely immerse ourselves in the total magic. I have these amazing memories as a child of going on every single ride, albeit, when I was that age, there was not a Indy, California Screamin', or Tower of Terror. I want them to experience ALL of Disney, and have memories of all there is "classic". Am I just being unrealistic? How can I help them see that Disney isn't just about fast moving coaster cars and big drops? HELPPPPPPP!

Re: Please help me convince my family that Disneyland is about the WHOLE experience!

I think my appreciation for the non E-tickets stems from visiting Disneyland since I was just a baby. I also am a big fan of the source material so maybe that factors in as well? I still enjoy the Fantasyland attractions the most to this day. I think the best way for you to get them on those rides is to tell them you're not taking them unless they do!
    I believe my future must be brighter than my past. Without that belief, I'm just waiting to die. --> http://www.youtube.com/theantidietsecrets

Re: Please help me convince my family that Disneyland is about the WHOLE experience!

I agree that a love of the WHOLE experience probably stems from a lifetime of memories. My kids have been taught from birth about the history and my childhood experiences at Disneyland. They share my reverence for the classic rides. We have family traditions that include always snapping a picture with my son's hand inside Mr. Toad's mouth in the queue and making the last ride of the night always be Autopia. They love coasters, but they also like to slow down and notice the hidden mickeys and small details that I point out. Good luck getting the kids to slow down and enjoy the parks.
    Me (Monique, 44) , DH (44) , DS (11) , DD (7)
    My trips:
    DLR - every year when I was a kid, took a 21 year break and finally returned 9/09.
    DLR - 9/09, 1/10, 4/10, 9/10, & one last annual pass trip 1/11.
    WDW - 9/06

This could be a Nostalgia problem.

I've been going since I was 6 years old, so I've been "brainwashed" (I mean that in a good way) and so I still get a slight chuckle and a ting of fear at the points I did at 6 on certain rides, but more as a memory. It becomes sentimental. An older kid, especially "TWEEN" (shudder) going for first time, or even 20th time, will try to be "cool" and say its all lame, I think its just a stage in life where you are breaking away from childhood. To be honest, once they get to college age, if they are into "college" they will appreciate the artistry etc. Especially if they are into the art side, or engineering, theater, etc. I think the 9-12 year old range, if not hooked, will be hard. Keep at it.. I still love Fantasy land, but I also take into account the history etc. Tell them those rides have been there since 1955, before any other theme park existed!!! They might like it 10 years later.

I think back to college, thats an age where people kind of regress, in some ways. No more dumb Sh!t bullies, embrace what you love. If you notice most college age people will wear "nerdy", which becomes "cool" again.. I found the fact that in college everyone got back into Disney, watching the Disney videos (not sure how many "naturally grown substances" were involved but still it was for a good cause), and enjoying the imagery, the artistic qualities, the memories. Even Disney haters.

I think its just a stage of breaking away. I know people that had a horrible childhood and hate Disney, just like roller coaster, but the people that seemed to be into art and theater always loved Disney no matter what. I always liked all of it. I hated amusement parks before then. Too loud and Scary. Disney was safe and like a big nature park with cool rides.

As a kid I hated the parades and fireworks, I just wanted to go on rides, but now I enjoy those parts as much (except parades, I still don't like them, unless there is a drum line).

Let your kids do what they want, maybe force them on 1 or 2 things, they will come around, or wont. Maybe they will many years later as good memories (as I did with the fireworks) ...

Disneyland it's not just about the rides but about the memories you make with your family. Every time I go to Disneyland I ride every ride because I am fascinated by Disney and what it has to offer. So it's not about the fast "E" Ticket rides but the small ones too.

• Boise Mouse

Quote Originally Posted by brian11811 View Post
    This could be a Nostalgia problem.

I've been going since I was 6 years old, so I've been "brainwashed" (I mean that in a good way) and so I still get a slight chuckle and a ting of fear at the points I did at 6 on certain rides, but more as a memory. It becomes sentimental. An older kid, especially "TWEEN" (shudder) going for first time, or even 20th time, will try to be "cool" and say its all lame, I think its just a stage in life where you are breaking away from childhood. To be honest, once they get to college age, if they are into "college" they will appreciate the artistry etc. Especially if they are into the art side, or engineering, theater, etc. I think the 9-12 year old range, if not hooked, will be hard. Keep at it.. I still love Fantasy land, but I also take into account the history etc. Tell them those rides have been there since 1955, before any other theme park existed!!! They might like it 10 years later.

I think back to college, thats an age where people kind of regress, in some ways. No more dumb Sh!t bullies, embrace what you love. If you notice most college age people will wear "nerdy", which becomes "cool" again.. I found the fact that in college everyone got back into Disney, watching the Disney videos (not sure how many "naturally grown substances" were involved but still it was for a good cause), and enjoying the imagery, the artistic qualities, the memories. Even Disney haters.

I think its just a stage of breaking away. I know people that had a horrible childhood and hate Disney, just like roller coaster, but the people that seemed to be into art and theater always loved Disney no matter what. I always liked all of it. I hated amusement parks before then. Too loud and Scary. Disney was safe and like a big nature park with cool rides.

As a kid I hated the parades and fireworks, I just wanted to go on rides, but now I enjoy those parts as much (except parades, I still don't like them, unless there is a drum line).

Let your kids do what they want, maybe force them on 1 or 2 things, they will come around, or wont. Maybe they will many years later as good memories (as I did with the fireworks) ...
    So funny you should say that about the arts... both my kids are arts kids, one is in choir and the other in theater. Both aspiring to attend college majoring in their art. Maybe I approach it from that aspect. While the jazz and improv angle probably isn't going to get my daughter on IASM, maybe the theatrics and animatronics will get my son on it. And if he is on board, she will be too What a great insight!

• Minion

"The park is the ride."

• Minion

You could do Hidden Mickeys or there's a new book called Lots To Do In Line (I didn't write it, but I did do a blog review of it: Lots To Do In Line: Disneyland–Book Review and GIVEAWAY! « My Year With The Mouse ) If they're into art you can do some research on various important Disney artists like Mary Blair. For your choir, jazz, and improv kick, I really recommend searching out the park atmosphere entertainment that most people walk right by or don't even know exists, like the Dapper Dans (everyone knows them), but also the Straw Hatters, the Bootstrappers, the Pearly Band, the Hook and Ladder Company, Jambalaya Jazz, Billy Hill and the Hillbillies, Farley the fiddler, Laughing Stock Co., and so on. These performances also involve the crowd, some more than others, and esp. the comedy does a lot of improv. Some of them even bring out characters, like the Straw Hatters, Pearly Band, and Hook and Ladder Company. You'll find these on the daily entertainment schedule you pick up at the gate (some of them are listed online, but not all). The Mad Hatter's musical chairs is hilarious--just saw it today, over in the Coke Corner usually around 2:00 or 2:30.

I mean, here's something for YOU too--you could spend a day not going on ANY rides. Because not to call you out or pick on you or anything, but going on every ride is not immersing yourself in the whole experience either . DL is about much more than the attractions, and I think doing every ride is fun, but it's also still missing the point of the whole experience IMO. So if you're going to be here for a few days, I would challenge you to take a full day (or even half day) and not go on any rides, just find atmosphere entertainment, looking around, shows, the Disney Animation Building in DCA, etc. and then see how you feel about the whole experience.

•   
    • Minion

Honestly? Since there are two of them and they are in high school, I'd tell them "I will meet you back here in four hours. I want to go on the other attractions," and then I'd go do the ones I wanted to do. It's hard to go off on your own when there are only two of you, but with three, it's doable.

And I say that because unfortunately sometimes it works best. It stinks to miss a ride you want to do, and it also stinks for someone to force you to do a ride you DON'T want to do. You're not going to enjoy the attraction anyway if the kids are sitting there rolling their eyes and complaining (and neither will the people around you!).

Some people just don't appreciate all the rides...so it's time to strike out on your own. Everyone has their own take on the Disneyland experience. They'll learn about the park's rich environment on their own, or they won't. If they don't it's their loss.
    Last edited by Malina; 05-11-2012 at 07:34 PM.

um you are the parent right? And who pays for them to go in? If they have jobs and pay their own tickets or APH then i say you have not much ground to stand on, if your footing the bill well DUMBO is the first ride you take them on, and if the complain or frown tell em they go one everything TWICE

• " Planet of Puddingheads"

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Noty View Post
    um you are the parent right? And who pays for them to go in? If they have jobs and pay their own tickets or APH then i say you have not much ground to stand on, if your footing the bill well DUMBO is the first ride you take them on, and if the complain or frown tell em they go one everything TWICE
    Exactly. You are the parent. If they sulk and say "this sucks" then tell them go hang out at Medieval Times or The Block and find their way back....
    “No worries, stay calm, one question. 
Do you happen to know how to fly this thing?”

Malina made a great point.. to be honest, one of the most memorable times I had at the park was when I wandered off on my own for half the night.
    I believe my future must be brighter than my past. Without that belief, I'm just waiting to die. --> http://www.youtube.com/theantidietsecrets

• Blew By You

Well, giving your kids some alone time is a nice way to reward them, after they spend family time together. I'd think they would agree to that. They may also want to spend time together believe it or not. Get them involved in planning the day: "Where shall we eat our dinner?", "Name me 5 rides we can all get on.", "What store should we look in for souvenirs?". Already suggested, plan a couple of games with prizes. Make some time for a family rest and talk. Discuss how the day has been. Drink water.

• Very Helpful Old Feller

Well, reckon my heart's in Texas but right now I live down N'Olins way...

Howdy Pards,

It is a strange, but true fact that life has ages and stages. And the teen age stage ain't necessarily the easiest one ya know. How many times have you heard, "Mom, we're not kids any more!" And, they are right...time is marching on. But, you've been on the trail a little longer than they have and it may be time for a little heart to heart talk with them...

The important thing is FAMILY. Explain to them that the memories you make together as a family now will stay with them for the rest of their lives.

It is in the nature of things that they will soon be growing and moving on to have a family of their own.
    But, before they do...you want to have some experiences with them...including the Disneyland experience...that will give them happy memories for their entire lifetimes. But, you are not doing this only for their benefit...you would kinda like to have some happy memories too...some FAMILY memories.

You can't have family memories if you send them off for four or five hours to be on their own. No...in order to have family memories you have to be together. Now...is it fair to only do the things that they want to do? Or would it be a little more fair if, together, you did both the things they would like to do...and the things you would like to do?

Once you have had this conversation...and they have agreed on the purpose and fairness of the plan...have another conversation to list the things that would make your visit to Disneyland truly special.

Try to keep it balanced...fair...and fun for everyone. Talk a little about the Disney spirit...having an attitude open to fun and adventure. Talk a little about the importance of a smile to help make everyone happy, not just yourself. Talk about the mission to create happy memories that will last for all time.
    Challenge them to a day full of happiness...no matter what we are doing...as long as we do it together.

There is much to learn here...much to see...much to savor and enjoy. I trust everyone might be favorable, for instance, to a citress swirl break... And, in advance of the trip, talk about the movies that inspired the attractions...the history that inspired some of the attractions...and the mix of things Walt put into the park...something for everyone. Take time to enjoy the flowers...talk about the gardens...how the jungle has grown over the years... And...uh...when they are least expecting it...tell 'em you love 'em...that they are the most important people in your world...and that you appreciate their support of your old fashioned, old people ideas...not just today...but always. Walt Disney once said, "We believed in our idea - a family park where parents and children could have fun - together."

Look em straight in the eye when you are having these heart to heart talks...talk softly...tell the truth.
    None of us are getting any younger. Time is marching on...

Have a wonderful trip to the Happiest Place on Earth. Take lots of pictures...give lots of hugs...laugh and learn and play together...and don't forget that "I love you" part...that's kinda important.

Adios for now. Talk to ya on down the trail.

Wild Ol' Dan
    Last edited by Wild Ol' Dan; 05-11-2012 at 10:01 PM.

• Tokyo Disney Sea Cast

Why do people line for the "not for big people" rides???

Answer: "big people" love the rides too
    Tokyo Disneyland Crew!

Currently working at:: Journey to the Center of the Earth!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast