Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Love HD videos!

20 to 35 mins from Disneyland, Knotts, Universal, Raging water

May 20th - Solar Eclipse - 85% will be covered by Sun - Viewing from Disneyland etc.

As of 5/15/2012 - We are 5 days away from a partial solar eclipse! It will cover about 85 percent of the sun at 6:38PM Sunday evening. The last time it almost cover that much was in 1992. It won't happen again in SoCal for a pretty long time, by that time, we will either be old or dead.

I'm so excited! I just bought my solar eclipse glasses on eBay so it will arrive in time for the viewing.

I think the best place to watch it while at the resort assuming you guys will have proper protection by then is to watch it from the parking structure or from the esplanade.

I for one might be visiting the Griffith Observatory in Hollywood.

Griffith Observatory - Special Event

This is what I captured near my house today in HD using a solar eclipse sunglasses:

Last edited by SoCalbma; 05-20-2012 at 11:19 PM.
    My Brand New Youtube channel -"SoCal ATTRACTIONS 360"
    http://www.youtube.com/SoCalAttractions360

• Banned User

Re: May 20th - Solar Eclipse - 85% will be covered by Sun - Viewing from Disneyland e

Thx for the info! I didn't realize it was this month (I thought it was next month for some reason - glad I saw your post!!!!!).

For others on this forum, to calculate your viewing time, go to this NASA site for an easy and interactive map (just point and click):
    NASA - Annular Solar Eclipse of 2012 May 20

I am in Vegas, so we will get 92% peak coverage at 6:35pm.

Are you east of western Texas (approx.)? You will not be able to see it since the sun will have set. However, if you draw a visual line from Midland, TX to Madison, WI, the portion of the western US to the left of this line will get a significant partial eclipse. This line is started on the above linked map, just extend it yourself if needed; it is the "EclipseSet"... aka, end point. The EclipsSet line does extend past the two cites I mentioned if you happen to be in Mexico or Canada (just less magnitude - see map).

To convert any UTC times for your timezone, go to:
    timeanddate.com

If you live in Albuquerque, NM... you get a full (100%) eclipse. Congratz!

Now I have to get some sort of viewer. hmmmmmm.

•   
    • Minion

Re: May 20th - Solar Eclipse - 85% will be covered by Sun - Viewing from Disneyland e

Darkness in the middle of the sunny day...perfect for Bats Day!!

• Love HD videos!

20 to 35 mins from Disneyland, Knotts, Universal, Raging water

Today's the day! Approx. 86 percent of the sun will cover by 6:30 pm

Got my eclipse glasses ready.
    My Brand New Youtube channel -"SoCal ATTRACTIONS 360"
    http://www.youtube.com/SoCalAttractions360

Boo I don't have any glasses and don't know where to buy some.

Any insight someone might have on where to find them?

I heard Griffith Observatory is sold out.

This indeed is a special event. I’m just trying to figure out how Disney is going to charge VIPs an extra $50 for special event viewing. Maybe they will make snack boxes available with Sunny Delight, Sun Chips, and a Sun Wheel shaped cookie?

Quote Originally Posted by 257 Mouse View Post
    This indeed is a special event. Iím just trying to figure out how Disney is going to charge VIPs an extra $50 for special event viewing. Maybe they will make snack boxes available with Sunny Delight, Sun Chips, and a Sun Wheel shaped cookie?
    You can make a viewer with a box, cut out a square and poke a hole in some tin foil, tape it on, and you can see exactly the shape of sun. Google pin hole eclipse viewer or something. I made one last night. Should be fun. Also, a quick glance won't blind you without glasses,

• He Gets The Job Done

Blog Entries

Does anyone have an estimated time?

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

I don't think DL is going to be the best place to view it at. The sun sets usually behind ROA and there's lots of trees there. At the time of the eclipse (I think it's 6:30 ish?) I'm thinking the sun might be obscured by trees or some other object at that time. Maybe the best place would be the top floor of the parking structure?

Highly doubt anything is going to go black. The only way you'll get total blackness is if your located inside the umbra of the eclipse. The umbra is only going to be over a small streach of land. This time it will be over a small streach of Northern California.
    Last edited by Disneytwins; 05-20-2012 at 10:05 AM.
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

6:45pm.
    It seems like sunset... not total darkness

• ---------------

missed it
    Quote by Al:
    To that end I'd like the Internet community to join me in reminding the Disney company that "it all started with Walt." As you can see below we've created some T-shirts, plus a few simple graphics that you can copy and paste into your websites to let folks know how you feel.
    -Al Lutz

In San Diego, and it didn't get even slightly dark. Seemed like a basic sunset. Did get to "see" it by projecting with binoculars.

• ---------------

Quote Originally Posted by Mojave View Post
    In San Diego, and it didn't get even slightly dark. Seemed like a basic sunset. Did get to "see" it by projecting with binoculars.
    In AZ. I don't remember seeing it get dark (aside from the current sunset) either.
    Quote by Al:
    To that end I'd like the Internet community to join me in reminding the Disney company that "it all started with Walt." As you can see below we've created some T-shirts, plus a few simple graphics that you can copy and paste into your websites to let folks know how you feel.
    -Al Lutz

• Merry 2014!

The sunlight definitely dimmed here in NV. We were a couple of hours away from sunset at 6:30 p.m. pst. I used the pin hole through foil taped over a hole cut out of a pizza box lid to view it. T'was awesome! Last time I saw one was in high school. We made several viewers and the teacher brought her husbands welding mask so we could look directly at the sun.
    Sig by Poisonedapples!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast