Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

• Toad Hall

re: Annual Passholders get chance to preview Cars Land and Buena Vista Street - $50+

Quote Originally Posted by biggsworth View Post
    if i didn't think it would be a total cluster I would go

I would like to know when you think it is going to be less of a cluster.

The free preview drawing that disney is doing is going to have a lot more people than this at all, then the summer will be a cluster, so tell me outside of this time you think it will be less of a cluster because i want to go then too!
    <font size=4> </font>

• Minion

re: Annual Passholders get chance to preview Cars Land and Buena Vista Street - $50+

I mean if you really have money to waste then i guess. $50 for 4 hours. Well, Al is right again!!!!!!!! looks like i will believe him for now on.

• keh!

eesh, no thanks to paying for the preview. i'll take my free preview before those dates instead : )

• Under that tree again!

Quote Originally Posted by DannyLand View Post
    I mean if you really have money to waste then i guess. $50 for 4 hours.
    4 hours in new areas and the rest of the day in the rest of DCA for only $50 is cheaper than a blockout day ticket $59 for SoCal Select APs who don't want to wait for Fall. A possible deal for the majority of APHs. Also a great deal for other who don't want to spend hours waiting in lines after it opens.

Quote Originally Posted by biggsworth View Post
    if i didn't think it would be a total cluster I would go
    It probably won't be.
    3 times periods in CL X 2 days. 6 groups going to CL and BVS at seperate times. For Disney to recoup their $500K donation all they need is $500K/$50, it could be limited to, with this conservative estimate, 10,000 guests. 10,000guests/6 reservation periods is only 1700 guest per reservation period. This means in 4 hours the two low capacity attractions could handle each guest, and each geust could experience multiples rides on RSR.

If Disney wants it could increase the number and the crowds would still not be a problem, and it could profit from this.

If anyone experienced the ST preview last year, their experience may be similiar. Middle of the day 6 chance to ride ST, with the only wait being for the attraction to cycle. This CL and BVS event may be similiar, as could the AP contest and media preview day.
    Last edited by swampymarsh; 05-15-2012 at 08:25 PM.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by swampymarsh View Post
    3 times periods in CL X 2 days. 6 groups going to CL and BVS at seperate times. For Disney to recoup their $500K donation all they need is $500K/$50, it could be limited to, with this conservative estimate, 10,000 guests. 10,000guests/6 reservation periods is only 1700 guest per reservation period. This means in 4 hours the two low capacity attractions could handle each guest, and each geust could experience multiples rides on RSR.
    Works on paper, but the big question is... how many tickets will Disney sell? With over a million APs out there, and the vast majority within driving distance of DLR, does anyone think Disney will limit ticket sales to what the area will comfortably hold?

From the "Important Information" section of the Disney web page selling the tickets:

• The preview event may include long wait periods, is subject to temporary closures and may be canceled at any time.
    • Subject to capacity, previously scheduled park events and other restrictions. Events may include long wait periods and ticket does not guarantee access to any attraction or location.

Caveat emptor.
    Last edited by Mr Wiggins; 05-15-2012 at 10:01 PM.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Not on the Jedi Council

Last year, I stayed at a hotel at $100 or more for the two days so I could be first in line for Star Tours 2. (I'm a Star Wars fan, believe it or not.) $50 for a limited early walkthrough and rides, it would be cheaper, I tink, than the staying and hoping to get in on opening day. Plus I can bring my camera and get non crowded pics of the place.

• Tour Ready

Quote Originally Posted by MAH4546 View Post
    A $500/head dinner is perfectly in line with what most charity dinners cost these days. It's actually on the low end. This is a charity dinner in reality, after all.
    Not one cent of your money spent on this event will be tax deductible. While Disney may use some of the cash paid for these events in their overall donation, you will not be able to claim your own dollar amount. It was not presented very clearly...

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by WDI33 View Post
    Not one cent of your money spent on this event will be tax deductible. While Disney may use some of the cash paid for these events in their overall donation, you will not be able to claim your own dollar amount. It was not presented very clearly...
    Yes. I didn't see this thread earlier but I mentioned similar sentiments in the tracker. I don't think the charity aspect was handled well at all.

• Senior Minion

^ From brenden's excellent post in the Tracker:

Quote Originally Posted by brenden View Post
    It's not a hard criticism on Disney, I just wish there was some transparency with the message/cause.
    Well said. Transparency, accuracy or honesty -- whichever word describes what is lacking in Disney's online sales announcement. In a pitch for folks to buy tickets, Disney included an announcement that they are making a contribution to charity... thus allowing (encouraging?) you to draw the logical conclusion that your ticket money from this event is going to charity.

In fact, your ticket money is going to Disney. Separately, Disney is making a contribution to charity -- in a predetermined amount -- which presumably will happen whether people buy tickets or not.

If your ticket money were going to charity, the announcement would have included a statement such as "All [or "a portion of"] ticket proceeds goes to Charity X" -- in other words, a charitable event.

Disney made no such announcement. Instead, they say the charitable contribution is "to celebrate." Celebrate what, they're not specific -- presumably the "grand re-opening of DCA?" If so, that's very generous of them, but what does it have to do with your ticket money for these events?

The full text:

Special Offer for Annual Passholders

Experience the all-new Cars Land and Buena Vista Street days before the Disney California Adventure Park grand re-opening to the public on June 15, 2012. Annual Passholders can explore the town of Radiator Springs and experience the California Walt Disney met in the 1920s!

Annual Passholders may purchase up to 8 tickets. All members of your party must be present and show a Disneyland Resort Annual Passport valid as of the date of the event for which the ticket was purchased — either June 9 or June 10, 2012. Event admission includes a 1-Day 1-Park Ticket to Disney California Adventure Park for the entire day.

To celebrate, Disneyland® Resort is donating a total of $500,000 to Children's Hospital Orange County (CHOC) and the Anaheim Community Foundation.

Choose Your Experience
    Select your ticket from the experiences below offered on June 9 and June 10, 2012:

...[snip of prices, times, etc]...

Important Information

• Annual Passholders must be 18 years of age or older to purchase tickets and may purchase up to 8 tickets each.
    • Admission to the preview event is non-transferable and may not be sold.
    • Event tickets and wristbands for the $50 and $75 events may be picked up from any Ticket Booth beginning at 6:30 a.m. the day of the event.
    • Event tickets and wristbands for the $500 event (with Carthay Circle dinner) may be picked up from Guest Relations Building at the Main Entrance beginning at 6:30 a.m. the day of the event.
    • All members of your party must be present and show a Disneyland Resort Annual Passport valid as of the date of the event for which the ticket was purchased.
    • Ticket purchaser must present credit card used to complete order to pick up tickets and wristbands.
    • Scheduled time periods will be strictly enforced.
    • Guests will only be allowed to enter Cars Land and Buena Vista Street during their selected time slot.
    • The preview event may include long wait periods, is subject to temporary closures and may be canceled at any time.
    • No ticket upgrades or changes
    • Applicable days and times of operation, and all other elements including, without limitation, operation of attractions, entertainment and services may vary and are subject to change or cancelation without notice.
    • Subject to capacity, previously scheduled park events and other restrictions. Events may include long wait periods and ticket does not guarantee access to any attraction or location.
    • Tickets are not refundable

©Disney•Pixar
    Not a word explaining the connection, if any, between what you spend on these events and what Disney donates to charity. I would suspect that in fact no such connection exists.

I would also suspect that according to the hyper-strict laws in California regarding truth in labeling of charitable promotions, Disney's lack of... transparency? accuracy? clarity? ...may raise quite a few eyebrows in places where Disney definitely would not want them raised.
    Last edited by Mr Wiggins; 05-15-2012 at 09:56 PM.

- Neil Gabler

•   
    • Support MC - Go GOLD!

Maybe I'm missing something....
    You can submit to "win" a passholder preview day/time(that is for free)
    or
    you can purchase a ticket ?
    Quote by Al:
    To that end I'd like the Internet community to join me in reminding the Disney company that "it all started with Walt." As you can see below we've created some T-shirts, plus a few simple graphics that you can copy and paste into your websites to let folks know how you feel.
    -Al Lutz

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by DLFreak71 View Post
    Maybe I'm missing something....
    You can submit to "win" a passholder preview day/time(that is for free)
    or
    you can purchase a ticket ?
    Yes, with purchasing a ticket you're guaranteed to get in. With submitting to win, you could possibly not win.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by ShelbyH View Post
    Yes, with purchasing a ticket you're guaranteed to get in.
    In fact, Disney specifically says you're not guaranteed anything:

- Neil Gabler

• -

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    In fact, Disney specifically says you're not guaranteed anything...
    You're guaranteed that your money goes to Disney.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• Closed Account

---------- Post added 05-16-2012 at 01:37 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by ShelbyHogan View Post
    Wow, this is really good to know and sealed the deal for me. I'll take my chances with the Ralphs promo and the 11th AP preview and if I don't get either of those, I'll take my chances with the regular crowds.

---------- Post added 05-15-2012 at 05:53 PM ----------

No need for the dig. We all have different incomes and make different decisions with our money. DL714 is probably right in that the price tag makes for a different, likely more civil crowd.
    You can't be serious? Explain in detail how this was negative? It was a compliment to the guy since he can afford something this expensive when the majority cannot..Again, unfair rating from an unfair system..sad. Seems like the more benign an opinion is, the more a troll will want to flag it.

Last edited by GregC; 05-17-2012 at 01:41 AM.

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by DOOM BGI View Post
    Uh, no it is not. Is the ticket price, or any portion tax deductible (for the guest)? No. If this were really a fundraiser, it would be tax deductible (or for big gala events, at least a portion of the ticket price). The announcement of the $500K donation on the event page is just slick marketing. It's fine if DLR wants to make a donation... they deserve credit and all the tax benefits. But that donation has NOTHING to do with this event.

To use it to trick people into thinking that this event is for charity is abhorrent. And that's precisely what they've done.
    This.

I'm with everyone else on this; I entered the AP drawing, but if I don't get in, I don't get in. I can't justify spending $50 on it. It will still be there in September. It's exciting to see a new part of the park, but if I don't see it first in line, it's not the end of the world at all.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast