Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Blog Entries

re: Annual Passholders get chance to preview Cars Land and Buena Vista Street - $50+

Everything but Premium is blocked on this day. I know for the D23 event they say you can get in even if it is a blackout day but I don't see that on here.

The numbers might not be so bad with a lot of people blocked out.

• Under that tree again!

re: Annual Passholders get chance to preview Cars Land and Buena Vista Street - $50+

Quote Originally Posted by nursemelis374 View Post
    Everything but Premium is blocked on this day. I know for the D23 event they say you can get in even if it is a blackout day but I don't see that on here.
    With your purchase you get a 1 day ticket to DCA, allowing you into the park. You need a valid AP to check in and get that 1 day ticket to DCA.

Annual Passholders may purchase up to 8 tickets. All members of your party must be present and show a Disneyland Resort Annual Passport valid as of the date of the event for which the ticket was purchased — either June 9 or June 10, 2012. Event admission includes a 1-Day 1-Park Ticket to Disney California Adventure Park for the entire day.

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Following The Optimist

What really bothers me, is that they could have made the 9th and 10th drawing days as well, giving more opportunities for APers to win a chance to see Cars Land before it opens to the public. Instead, they figured out a way to make some easy $$$ by charging APers for the privileged. I understand that my pass gives me admission all year (and is a great value for how often I go), but to kill the AP good-will they have been building with the AP parties and events makes no sense.

The deceptive 'charity' angle just seems even more shady to me.
    -Monorail Man

• Minion

Re: Annual Passholders get chance to preview Cars Land and Buena Vista Street - $50+

Quote Originally Posted by DOOM BGI View Post
    Uh, no it is not. Is the ticket price, or any portion tax deductible (for the guest)? No. If this were really a fundraiser, it would be tax deductible (or for big gala events, at least a portion of the ticket price). The announcement of the $500K donation on the event page is just slick marketing. It's fine if DLR wants to make a donation... they deserve credit and all the tax benefits. But that donation has NOTHING to do with this event.

To use it to trick people into thinking that this event is for charity is abhorrent. And that's precisely what they've done.
    Exactly. $500,000 equals 10,000 $50 tickets. This is probably less than 10% of the money they will make for the entire event and is in line with marketing expenses for an event like this. They don't actually bill it as a charity event, but they sure make it sound like it's one. I agree... pretty low. One could say that at least they are donating $500,000 to Children's Hospital Orange County and who cares why, but the donation is transparently self serving. In my opinion, it crosses an ethical boundary one would hope a company like Disney wouldn't cross.

• Disney Fan 4 Life

Re: Annual Passholders get chance to preview Cars Land and Buena Vista Street - $50+

Agreed, that is more than we can spend for something like this, especially when we can get in to this thing for years to come~
    Here You Leave Today and Enter the World of Yesterday, Tomorrow, and Fantasy.

“To all who come to this happy place; welcome. Disneyland is your land. Here age relives fond memories of the past...and here youth may savor the challenge and promise of the future. Disneyland is dedicated to the ideals, the dreams and the hard facts that have created America...with the hope that it will be a source of joy and inspiration to all the world.” - Walt Disney, Disneyland Opening Day Speech 1955

View my new Budget Disney Blog here: http://budgetdisneylandresort.blogspot.com/

• Tom Bricker

If my options were to pay $50 and get in for one of these previews or wait until the 15th, camp out that morning to be one of the first people inside, then wait in long lines all day, I'd ABSOLUTELY spend the $50 to do the former. My (and your) time has a value, too. As it stands, I won't be in town until after these previews, so I don't have the option.

As for the charity side of things, I agree that it's deceptive, but this is FAR from unprecedented. I see marketing like this all the time. In fact, just today at Subway (the restaurant), I saw something along the same lines that involved tweeting photos of your sub. I can't think of other specific examples, but I literally see this constantly. That's not to say that it makes what Disney is doing okay...it's just hardly notable.

• Parmageddon Jim

As in another Cars Land preview thread, I'm in complete agreement with Monorail Man. And think of this, the two $50.00 options are for four hours during the (hazy June Southern California) day. Arguably, Cars Land is going to be at its most attractive at dusk and after sundown, when the neon pops on. That option is for five hours, includes a performance of WOC, and is for $75.00. Will they empty out Cars Land and herd everyone over to Paradise Bay, or will those of us who have no interest in WOC that night be allowed to stay? Will shops and restaurants be open, or only attractions? With no guarantees and no refunds, it's very hard to make a decision on this one.
    So full of Disney Magic, my eyes are blue.

• Toad Hall

Ok is it me or does the link no longer work?
    <font size=4> </font>

• Under that tree again!

Quote Originally Posted by WildForMrToad View Post
    Ok is it me or does the link no longer work?
    I changed the link. The new link has a link to the paid preview page.

• Padawan

L.A.-- But I'd rather be on Brokeback Mountain

Quote Originally Posted by Monorail Man View Post
    What really bothers me, is that they could have made the 9th and 10th drawing days as well, giving more opportunities for APers to win a chance to see Cars Land before it opens to the public. Instead, they figured out a way to make some easy $$$ by charging APers for the privileged. I understand that my pass gives me admission all year (and is a great value for how often I go), but to kill the AP good-will they have been building with the AP parties and events makes no sense.

The deceptive 'charity' angle just seems even more shady to me.
    Exactly. That's why the common response from people I've seen of "There's a million AP holders, they had no choice!" is complete BS. They had plenty of choices, and they picked this blatant money grab (aimed squarely at APers, which is insulting), soiled even more by the underhanded phony "charity" angle. This is a complete marketing FAIL, on a level not seen since the Cynthia Harriss days imho.
    --Jonathan

• Parmageddon Jim

I doubt that it's a marketing "fail," as it will probably sell out. But the other stuff, yeah.
    So full of Disney Magic, my eyes are blue.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries

Before we all come down too hard on Disney, I don't think they'll break even on this aside from the marketing. I really can't see them pulling in $500,000 over the two days as I think they'll be lucky to get over 40 percent of that total. I could be wrong, but I think they'll still pay a good portion of that total out of their pockets to CHOC, and I'm all in favor of that.

Although....there must be something wrong with my eyes. When I pulled up that link yesterday, I would have SWORN it read something like "All proceeds will go to benefit CHOC." When I checked back, Disney stated that they'll make a flat donation, and now it really doesn't look like one activity has anything to do with the other, which is just weird. I really don't understand why Disney wouldn't just donate what comes in plus what ever they want to donate on top it, or match the total....something along those lines. Why bring up CHOC if they aren't inviting us to help support them by purchasing a ticket?

Either way, I'll be attending on Sunday, June 10, but mostly because a)I don't want to be anywhere NEAR that park on June 15, and b)My kids and I won't be around much following the opening and my next chance back there won't be until July. If the contest thing doesn't work out, I just want a chance to get in there before the masses descend from all directions.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by DOOM BGI View Post
    Exactly. That's why the common response from people I've seen of "There's a million AP holders, they had no choice!" is complete BS. They had plenty of choices, and they picked this blatant money grab (aimed squarely at APers, which is insulting), soiled even more by the underhanded phony "charity" angle. This is a complete marketing FAIL, on a level not seen since the Cynthia Harriss days imho.
    Couldn't agree more. My guess is it will be a financial coup beyond Disney's wildest predictions. And as a result you'll see more of the same shady come-ons in the future -- and more customers lining up by the hundreds of thousands to get in.
    Last edited by Mr Wiggins; 05-16-2012 at 04:39 PM.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Minion

I for one am happy to see the charity "angle". The way I see it is that they do this and donate to charity or they didn't let anyone in through this promotion and not donate anything period. Are there other ways to approach the donation? The ticketing? Time slots? Sure to it all. But in the end, this is something people actually want and there is a benefit for another entity that is not Disney or its consumers.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by ohmyjustin View Post
    I for one am happy to see the charity "angle". The way I see it is that they do this and donate to charity or they didn't let anyone in through this promotion and not donate anything period.
    Unfortunately, the charity "angle" is a deception. You're not donating anything to charity, you're buying a product from Disney. Separately, Disney is already making a pre-determined donation to charity, whether or not you buy their product.

The deception is that Disney is advertising the event in a way that is likely to make people think their ticket purchase is going to charity, when it is not.
    Last edited by Mr Wiggins; 05-16-2012 at 06:39 PM.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast