Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Re: Annual Passholders get chance to preview Cars Land and Buena Vista Street - $50+

Quote Originally Posted by DOOM BGI View Post
    Exactly. That's why the common response from people I've seen of "There's a million AP holders, they had no choice!" is complete BS. They had plenty of choices, and they picked this blatant money grab (aimed squarely at APers, which is insulting), soiled even more by the underhanded phony "charity" angle. This is a complete marketing FAIL, on a level not seen since the Cynthia Harriss days imho.
    Why is it a blatant money grab? Because instead of having 3 preview days for AP's Disney chose to reserve two of those days for another event. Please explain why AP's are entitled to all 3 days? Because there are a million of them?

Personally, I am quite pleased that Disney made this choice. I didn't purchase my AP with the expectation that I would be going to the park more than once or twice a year. I did buy it with the expectation that it might give me access to special events like this one. I approve of the concept of "paying to play." And, I hope Disney stages more events that are available to AP's for a premium.

As to the charity angle, what was underhanded about it? The description of the offer does not say that part of the proceeds from your ticket purchase will go to the two charities. I certainly didn't purchase the tickets with that assumption.

• Minion

Re: Annual Passholders get chance to preview Cars Land and Buena Vista Street - $50+

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    Unfortunately, the charity "angle" is a deception. You're not donating anything to charity, you're buying a product from Disney. Separately, Disney is already making a pre-determined donation to charity, whether or not you buy their product.

The deception is that Disney is advertising the event in a way that is likely to make people think their ticket purchase is going to charity, when it is not.
    I might sound like a bit of a scrooge now, but I'm not all that inclined to believe that Disney did not do the donation in anticipation of the event. It makes sense that the goodwill is being accompanied by a promotion. That's how they get their names in the papers. I'm thinking if they didn't do this promotion, they wouldn't have donated the money at this point in time, knowing that they'd make money through the event.

• You're late for TEAAA!!!!

I wonder how many of these people paying $50 bucks will also be chosen for the FREE AP preview. No doubt they'll come back to get a second ride in, further making it more crowded than it needs to be! And I bet some of these crazy fellows will also be there opening day/weekend (although it probably won't make much of a difference on that last one).

• Banned User

lol no thanks

If you pay $50 to get in on a blackout date that would normally cost you $59 then you would not have a tax deduction even if it was billed as a charitable event. You can only write off the amount OVER fair market value of what you received. In this case you are getting a $9 discount...

That said, if you want to go, go. If you want to donate to the charity of your choice do it whether you get a tax deduction or not...I'm guessing CHOC is happy for a half million dollar donation no matter how negatively it gets skewed on this board.

Quote Originally Posted by dth316 View Post
    I wonder how many of these people paying $50 bucks will also be chosen for the FREE AP preview. No doubt they'll come back to get a second ride in, further making it more crowded than it needs to be! And I bet some of these crazy fellows will also be there opening day/weekend (although it probably won't make much of a difference on that last one).
    Even if some of those people who pay to attend get chosen for the free AP day its their right to come back. They entered a contest that was announced before being able to pay and the money paid for the paid preview is still money that is being donated to a charity no matter what skeptics say. If I win I will be going as well as paying. I also won the May 29th Carsland meet-up but does that make me greedy?? No. It just means I'm lucky enough to have the chance to experience it as much as I can before it becomes a zoo on June 15th.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    Works on paper, but the big question is... how many tickets will Disney sell? With over a million APs out there, and the vast majority within driving distance of DLR, does anyone think Disney will limit ticket sales to what the area will comfortably hold?

From the "Important Information" section of the Disney web page selling the tickets:
    • The preview event may include long wait periods, is subject to temporary closures and may be canceled at any time.
    • Subject to capacity, previously scheduled park events and other restrictions. Events may include long wait periods and ticket does not guarantee access to any attraction or location.

Caveat emptor.

My guess is that they will sell 3500 tickets or less for each time slot. The $75 and $500 ones include WOC. Woc only holds 4400 people max so they wouldn`t sell more than that number. The drawing for June 11 states a max of 10,000 with a max of 3500 for each time slot.

Also, Mickey`s Holloween Party costs more than this , you get more things to ride on but this is new , first time stuff.

---------- Post added 05-16-2012 at 11:59 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Gn2Dlnd View Post
    As in another Cars Land preview thread, I'm in complete agreement with Monorail Man. And think of this, the two $50.00 options are for four hours during the (hazy June Southern California) day. Arguably, Cars Land is going to be at its most attractive at dusk and after sundown, when the neon pops on. That option is for five hours, includes a performance of WOC, and is for $75.00. Will they empty out Cars Land and herd everyone over to Paradise Bay, or will those of us who have no interest in WOC that night be allowed to stay? Will shops and restaurants be open, or only attractions? With no guarantees and no refunds, it's very hard to make a decision on this one.
    There`s an hour gap between time slots that I assume they use to clear out the crowd. DCA is open until 10pm those nights. For the 6-11 time slot, my guess is they try to clear everyone out at 10 for a WOC show running from 10:30-11:00

Another website is reporting that Disney spokespeople have stated all proceeds from ticket sales are going to charity. Take that for what it's worth.

• Senior Minion

^ If true, good -- but hopefully the "Disney spokespeople" source of the information are not employees who have been misled by the web page, like many Disney customers.

In any event, Disney's promotional web page still has not changed its misleading language.

If it's true that all or part of proceeds from ticket sales are going to charity, Disney only need include those words on the web page, as they should have from the beginning.
    Last edited by Mr Wiggins; 05-17-2012 at 12:06 AM.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• I am number 4 of 999

I'm pretty sure the CHOC builing currently has a banner on it thanking Disneyland for a $5 million donation. They are making a completely different $500,000 donation so soon? A bunch of saints, this company...
    Last edited by ghosty4; 05-19-2012 at 09:15 AM.

• Minion

If you don't want to pay to get in you can always try a win the ralphs coke contest. You can win tickets to a vip carsland party and other cool prizes.

https://cocacola.promo.eprize.com/familyfun/ralphs

• Workin to live,lovin life

Personally, I don't think the prices are worth it for me. So I'll be skipping out on this offer. And I can wait for a few months to go anyway! Doesn't mean I didn't try to win through the Coke/Fry's/Ralphs contest or the AP raffle one!

I personally wouldn't pay for this when I can experience it for free sooner or later but I get it that some people don't want to wait.

I do crack up when I see people (not on this board) saying they can't decide if they want to go to the day or the night preview so they just bought tix to both. Why not go out on a limb, make a decision and save some tix for other folks that might be happy to experience it once?

I originally got a email from D23 about this offer. I was all for the $75 ticket for the previews and private WOC. Now that they have opened it up to APers later that day it was kind of a turn off at that point. If I am going with a large group of APers that I might as well go June 15th.

I might go. Not sure. My APs are blocked every Saturday during summer so it would be worth it to me, although I might not be into waiting for hours to get on a 5 minute ride, maybe we will just wait till September Ends... As far as Disney's promotions go, they will always appeal to a large portion of fans: I quote The Simpsons on the episode where a new Malibu Stacy doll comes out: Random little girl - "Look its the new Malibu Stacy Doll" Random little girl - " ...and she has a new hat!" Lisa "Stop! Its just like regular Malibu Stacy Doll but with a cheap plastic hat!" ***Crowd goes silent*** Smithers - "But she's got a NEW HAT!" (The crowd then tramples each other to get the doll with a new hat). --By the way, these forums take out my line breaks for some reason. Iirritating.

---------- Post added 05-17-2012 at 03:18 PM ----------

If you get the 6-11pm pass for $75, do you still get to enter the park before 6pm (If you are blocked that day?)

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast