Page 11 of 53 FirstFirst ... 8910111213142136 ... LastLast

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

Re: Disneyland Resort Ticket Price Increase (Merged) Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalbma View Post
    To put it into Prospective,

For the price of one premium pass ($650) to Disneyland starting on Sunday,

you can use the money and get your pass to ALL of Southern California theme parks and still have some money left over.

You can get a year pass for SEAWORLD, KNOTTS BERRY FARM, SIX FLAGS MAGIC MOUNTAIN, UNIVERSAL STUDIOS HOLLYWOOD, SAN DIEGO ZOO all for the price of one Disneyland premium pass.

When my pass expire, I am definitely done with Disneyland since I will get to experience Cars Land and also because there aren't anything new anymore to experience or see.
    See that's what I think too...its like year Carsland is going to be great....increase prices a little..but this much? Nothing coming next year to justify buying the highest pass.

I mean the most I see happening by next summer is the Electrical Parade coming back and a new show at the Fantasyland theater, heck I don't even think we'll see a new ride til summer 2014 (wont even be an E ticket) so to me, I think the price went a little overboard for ONE new land and one redone land that should have been there when the park opened

EDIT: to be fair with my logic since nothing big is coming next summer could just get a lower AP with parking and just enjoy the rest of the year without going in the summer

• Minion

I don't see this information anywhere so I don't know if it's even available, but my big question is about blockout dates. Are they increasing them? What about blockouts for Deluxe passes? Are Southern California passes even going to get Sundays anymore? Is this information out there yet?

• Support MC - Go GOLD!

Quote Originally Posted by BC_DisneyGeek View Post
    When they introduced the monthly payment plans, I predicted it would lead to bigger price increases.
    I think many saw it.
    They can raise prices
    but if your on monthly payments
    it just a little extra each month.
    Disney knew they couldn't jack up prices each without hearing about it
    but with monthly payments
    they figured they could do it, but it would minimally impact monthly payers
    but drop a good amount more of the green stuff in their pockets.
    Difference now (I'm out of state, so have no idea about monthly plans)
    from what I can tell is that
    monthly people got use to going up a dollar each month now (and it wasn't a huge deal)
    but now
    Disney saw that it didn't bothered people (monthly)
    so they went full gusto
    and now monthly's will pay almost $10 more (or so) a month.
    Then again, when you (Disney) see chat boards "talk" about all these people who are going
    to visit the "new" DCA
    why wouldn't you put all your eggs in one basket (sarcasm) and jack up prices
    for something that hasn't proved (just talk) to be a hit yet.
    People will always talk about what the will do (vacation plans)
    but doing it is another story (especially when it's going to hit them where it hurts).
    Last edited by DLFreak71; 05-19-2012 at 12:16 AM.
    Quote by Al:
    To that end I'd like the Internet community to join me in reminding the Disney company that "it all started with Walt." As you can see below we've created some T-shirts, plus a few simple graphics that you can copy and paste into your websites to let folks know how you feel.
    -Al Lutz

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by ShelbyH View Post
    I don't see this information anywhere so I don't know if it's even available, but my big question is about blockout dates. Are they increasing them? What about blockouts for Deluxe passes? Are Southern California passes even going to get Sundays anymore? Is this information out there yet?
    No everything stays exactly the same as before...except your bank account balance!

---------- Post added 05-19-2012 at 12:47 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalbma View Post
    To put it into Prospective,

For the price of one premium pass ($650) to Disneyland starting on Sunday,

you can use the money and get your pass to ALL of Southern California theme parks and still have some money left over.

You can get a year pass for SEAWORLD, KNOTTS BERRY FARM, SIX FLAGS MAGIC MOUNTAIN, UNIVERSAL STUDIOS HOLLYWOOD, SAN DIEGO ZOO all for the price of one Disneyland premium pass.

When my pass expire, I am definitely done with Disneyland since I will get to experience Cars Land and also because there aren't anything new anymore to experience or see.
    Exactly! Which is why I dont know why people keep saying DL hasnt been charging a premium for their APs? They ALWAYS been at a premium!! Even their cheapest AP is more costly than any other non-Disney AP at their own premium rates!

Lets get out of the mind set Disney is/was selling these things on the cheap! They always been WAY above sticker price compared to everything else out there!
    Last edited by WorldDisney; 05-18-2012 at 11:51 PM.

• Support MC - Go GOLD!

I'm still not sure how you get online
    I expire in Dec.
    I don't see Disney allowing me to purchase (I don't think it's an option if your logged in and not up for renewal).
    I would think that I'd have to create a new log in and purchase.
    Quote by Al:
    To that end I'd like the Internet community to join me in reminding the Disney company that "it all started with Walt." As you can see below we've created some T-shirts, plus a few simple graphics that you can copy and paste into your websites to let folks know how you feel.
    -Al Lutz

•   
    • NEVER to Old To Fly...

Blog Entries

Re: Disneyland Ticket Price Increases

Quote Originally Posted by basketbuddy101 View Post
    In the words of John Hammond, "This park was not meant to cater to the super rich." This is such a disappointment. I understand Disney has to get their money back from the expansion but in this economy, such a substantial increase is unwarranted. Yes, Disney is a company, but a company is nothing without the consumer, and the consumer's wallet is about to thin.
    However with the recent upgrades to the Hotel, the "Resort"--- That is exactly who they wish to cater to. I have heard MANY times they don't mind paying more as it keeps the 'undesirables' out. Well guess what, now many of them are the undesirables.

Who I feel bad for are the kids. Where I have had a wonderful Disney life, many kids now will not.

For those who say, well you now get the new and improved DCA, please remember you get 5 parks + at WDW for close to the same price.
    -----------------------------------------------
    DISNEYLAND: Greatest Man-Made Place On Earth

YOSEMITE NATIONAL PARK: Greatest *GOD-Made Place On Earth

•   
      MiceChat Administrator
    • Working Late

Blog Entries

After all of Orange County became gridlock just because Disneyland was open 24 hours, and given the hype for Carsland, do you really think that The Resort is going to run out of customers? I think that they are going to be just fine... And I think they know that too.

Its also not really about "undesireables". More people are paying to go to Disneyland than throughout the year than would before. That is the number one sign that the experiance is worth more than the price.

It goes without saying that if the park was only $50 to get into, it would reach capacity every day.. Well, as it turns out, I guess they discovered that with Carsland and DCA 2.0 opening, the demand even at the old ticket price was much higher than the capacity and for that reason they adjust the price so that the park will still fill up.

Who can blame them? Its not just about maximizing profits, but also keeping the resort from overflowing... If the 24 hour party proved anything, it is that the resort is more popular than anyone imagined already and there is a huge customer base... They cannot risk being overrun and the only way to do that is to adjust the price.

• Dive ..... Dive.....

I wouldn't mind paying these prices if they delivered on world class entertainment with some originality like Disney Sea. All they have been giving us is dud after dud, focusing narrowly on children demographics and movie franchises that sell merchandise. As a single adult, this is a total rip off and insulting to the Disney name. Where are the Haunted Mansion's, Pirates of the Caribbean's, and Space Mountain's of the 21st century? You can only use the classic and valuable attractions of the past as a crutch for so long before people realize there are better theme park options. Get with it Disney or you just might find yourself in the dust when Universal starts stepping up to the plate.
    Last edited by Seawolf; 05-19-2012 at 12:40 AM.

On the topic of WDW AP holders getting more for their money:

Average rent for a 2-bedroom apartment in Anaheim: $1480
    Average rent for a 2-bedroom apartment in Orlando: $881

Location makes a big difference in pricing, for Disney APs as in real estate. DL APs cost more for fewer parks because there is a vastly bigger demand for APs in Anaheim than there is in Orlando, PLUS they have much less space to accomodate everyone. High demand + low supply = higher prices.

This isn't meant to explain the increase in DL prices, just the disparity between AP prices in Anaheim and Orlando.

I live in the Midwest, so it costs me a ton to visit either park anyways!

•   
    • NEVER to Old To Fly...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jcruise86 View Post

What saddens me is that you know at least one family will show up at the ticket booth unprepared and decide that they just can't afford it. I once saw a family of four all walking slowly away from a ticket booth, heads bowed, back (I imagined) toward the parking tram.

Hey, there's always Knott's, the beach, etc. But, yeah, sad.

I bet this sight will be happening sunday to unsuspecting families as a matter of fact.

---------- Post added 05-19-2012 at 01:41 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    Why should DL be something that is affordable on a whim? For many, including myself, Disney was something you SAVED for and took the trip. It would be years between trips.. not where you killed a sunday afternoon.

Disney must have the numbers to show a very strong pull for short notice, short duration purchases. Enough they feel the market will bear the increase.
    Quote Originally Posted by Juni View Post
    I didn't say it should be affordable on a whim. But this sort of massive increase is making it so that a lot of people won't even be able to save up that much. You've added on an extra 80 dollars for a one day trip to a place that is already expensive. If you add in food and souvenirs (which a family going for their one trip would want), a one day trip to disneyland will be about 600, 650 minimum?

My family had to save up to go when I was a kid, but it wasn't THIS ridiculous.
    I think what Old Man Potter there was trying to say was "Tough Beans"

---------- Post added 05-19-2012 at 01:44 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    The saddest part for me, is all of the kids who will be added to the list of "kids who have never been to Disneyland".
    This is what separated greatness like Walt... and Greedy Jerks who run the show now.
    -----------------------------------------------
    DISNEYLAND: Greatest Man-Made Place On Earth

YOSEMITE NATIONAL PARK: Greatest *GOD-Made Place On Earth

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Seawolf View Post
    I wouldn't mind paying these prices if they delivered on world class entertainment with some originality like Disney Sea. All they have been giving us is dud after dud, focusing narrowly on children demographics and movie franchises that sell merchandise. As a single adult, this is a total rip off and insulting to the Disney name. Where are the Haunted Mansion's, Pirates of the Caribbean's, and Space Mountain's of the 21st century? You can only use the classic and valuable attractions of the past as a crutch for so long before people realize there are better theme park options. Get with it Disney or you just might find yourself in the dust when Universal starts stepping up to the plate.
    I dont want you to think I'm picking on you or anyone, but your argument seems a bit contradictory to me! In one breath you say Disney isnt building quality original attractions anymore and relying too much on chidren demographics and movie tie ins! But then in the same breath you seem to suggest Universal Studio theme parks will slowly take over the theme park crown but ALL they do is build rides based on movie tie ins!!! I been to three of their resorts, Hollywood, Orlando and Osaka and I cant think of a single major ride or show in that entire theme park franchise that isnt based on a movie or character of some kind (but it IS a theme park about movies, so not knocking them, but...).

And if you look at their latest big attractions, Harry Potter and Transformers, are attractions squarely aimed for kids and young adults basically! Few people over 50 are going to enjoy those rides like maybe POTC or Soarin! If anything it seems Universal is catering to the same maket Disney is, if not as aggressively! So what am I missing?

And I'm not telling people they have to keep liking Disney, but if you are ONLY talking theme parks, what else is out there? It seems most Disney fans have told themselves nothing comes close to Disney quality. But then at the same time, a lot of them complain Disney has lost its own quality as well. So where does that leave people if they really think Disney is costing too much with lesser quality, but then turn their noses at the Magic Mountains, Universals, Sea Worlds and other big theme park franchises out there?

And THATS the rub isnt it? Disney knows as long as people consider it the only thing worth paying through the nose for they will continue to pay it...nose and all!

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by WildForMrToad View Post
    If this means that I can finally get a good spot for fantasmic and not wait on my blanket for 2+ hours than Im all for it
    The price increases won't do that, I'm afraid.

What this latest price increase means is that you will still need to wait 2 hours on your blanket for Fantasmic! and both parks will be very busy through 2012 and 2013, but it also means the parks won't be even busier and you won't have to wait 3 hours on your blanket for Fantasmic!.

Supply and demand. Free market economics. Great American Free Enterprise System. Call it what you will, it is a business pricing its product at a point the free market of free consumers can bear.

If it's too expensive for folks, then it's too expensive for them. Those folks who can't afford a $649 pass to Disneyland for super-happy-fun-times also can't afford a new Lexus this year, and will keep their 8 year old Chevy instead. But that doesn't mean Lexus will go out of business or should lower their prices on their products to a level everyone in the marketplace can afford.

If you can't afford it, you can't afford it. And God knows Disneyland is too crowded and DCA is headed that way come June 15th. So why wouldn't TDA raise prices to try and thin the crazy crowds just a tad?

• will-o-the-whip

Quote Originally Posted by nursemelis374 View Post
    If this means less people in the Parks, I'm happy to pay more money.
    I agree. It's just gotten way too packed in the parks so I'm happy to see a huge jump in the price of an AP. Raising prices is the only fair way to attempt to thin out the crowds. But I'm sad to see one and two-day prices go up (albeit not as high as APs) as this might keep out some families who only go once or twice a year.

• I am number 4 of 999

Re: Disneyland Premium Annual Pass now $649! Up a $150 from before!

It's as if they were like, "How much do we need to charge in order to realistically cover operating expenses AND make a profit? OK, then jack it up it $35 more than that number!".

My pass expires Monday and I was going to renew it Sunday. Glad I checked here first! With the renewal discount my premium pass is $479 for the year, so I renewed it this morning, but next year it runs out about this time, right when they anounce price increases, so we will see.

I go enough to justify the value to me, But it's sad that the average family of 4 can no longer afford to go as much or at all.

Page 11 of 53 FirstFirst ... 8910111213142136 ... LastLast