Page 13 of 53 FirstFirst ... 3101112131415162338 ... LastLast

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries

Re: Disneyland Resort Ticket Price Increase (Merged) Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
    After all of Orange County became gridlock just because Disneyland was open 24 hours, and given the hype for Carsland, do you really think that The Resort is going to run out of customers? I think that they are going to be just fine... And I think they know that too.

Its also not really about "undesireables". More people are paying to go to Disneyland than throughout the year than would before. That is the number one sign that the experiance is worth more than the price.

It goes without saying that if the park was only $50 to get into, it would reach capacity every day.. Well, as it turns out, I guess they discovered that with Carsland and DCA 2.0 opening, the demand even at the old ticket price was much higher than the capacity and for that reason they adjust the price so that the park will still fill up.

Who can blame them? Its not just about maximizing profits, but also keeping the resort from overflowing... If the 24 hour party proved anything, it is that the resort is more popular than anyone imagined already and there is a huge customer base... They cannot risk being overrun and the only way to do that is to adjust the price.
    They might indeed be "just fine." But many of these folks, including me, were already reeling from last year's price increase. Then they tripled the increase this year. If they just REPEAT the same increase next year in terms of percentage, the price will be $832. And many people will still defend that price increase as supply and demand and blithely pay it. In two years, following this pattern, the premium will be over $1000 and a good percentage of the area's middle class won't be able to even justify a So Cal Select pass.

We all knew prices were going to go up, and that Disney would be losing quite a few Premium and Deluxe pass holders as a result. Most of us had no idea they would go this far this fast. If they want to keep the park from overflowing, it seems that their plan will definitely work as soon as these price hikes go into effect for everyone. Many of my kid's friends couldn't go with them this year because their parents wouldn't renew their passes. It looks like we'll join them next year and Disney will finally have succeeded in driving us off.

Quote Originally Posted by KevinYee View Post
    Note to self: Flynnibus displays logic even in threads that are more commonly dominated by emotion. Thus, pay attention to future flynnibus posts.....

Most of the emotion that you are reading in this thread is generated by the fact that several of us are realizing that our era of scrimping and saving to hopefully continue buying passes is now over. We are also looking around and trying to figure out who in the world will be able to go to this park in 5 years. Some of you are trotting out the "Disneyland is still worth it" line again, just as you did last year. And that's fine. The rest of us are just disappointed in finally having to face reality and let our passes expire.

• some assembly required

Re: Disneyland Ticket Price Increases

Quote Originally Posted by Westsider View Post
    If it's too expensive for folks, then it's too expensive for them. Those folks who can't afford a $649 pass to Disneyland for super-happy-fun-times also can't afford a new Lexus this year, and will keep their 8 year old Chevy instead. But that doesn't mean Lexus will go out of business or should lower their prices on their products to a level everyone in the marketplace can afford.

If you can't afford it, you can't afford it. And God knows Disneyland is too crowded and DCA is headed that way come June 15th. So why wouldn't TDA raise prices to try and thin the crazy crowds just a tad?
    Thank you,
    Well said. As I was reading this, what you posted was running through my head. $1bill+ addition(s) to the resort was bound to place a price spike on APs and tickets; the demand is going up each year (even in this recession and poss b/c of the recession).

We are a capitalist culture (as much as I detest it at times). Disneyland/DLR is no different. For all those that will not go b/c of this price increase, there WILL be someone to take your place and pay what you will not. If my last statement is wrong, then Disneyland was wrong in calculating their price point. I am really excited to see how this pans out, even if my annual/bi-annual trip is going to cost me $20 more per ticket than last year.

---------- Post added 05-19-2012 at 08:15 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by ghosty4 View Post
    It's as if they were like, "How much do we need to charge in order to realistically cover operating expenses AND make a profit? OK, then jack it up it $35 more than that number!".

Who are you to decide what they can and cannot make?
    This is not a social program! (see my post above)
    ~Jay

"Ahh-chooo!" ~ Walt Disney
    "Bless you." ~ My Grandfather
    (Disneyland, circa 1957)

Quote Originally Posted by ohmyjustin View Post
    I think if the goal was to get rid of so many annual passport members, they should have just gotten rid of the lowest tier pass. I realize that there'd be a lot of backlash due to that, but if the majority of pass holders are local, then skim the fat from the passes that were made specifically for​ locals.

I agree, basically I don't understand WHY they have a "So Cal" Pass or Tickets anyhow... when you think of it, that's the main issue they've had with overcrowding anyhow. I can see them to boost attendance, but when it's so high... dump the SoCal Tickets/passes first.... You don't need them just because Universal has local pricing.

And basically they'd get two things, a no-sale, and reduce the window-shoppers, or better, a sales to the (now) higher pass... so you get the extra money also.

When Universal opens Mr. Potter West.... Disney needs to remember that they're not the only game anymore.
    Last edited by pinkertonfloyd; 05-19-2012 at 07:24 AM.

• MiceAge Columnist

I'm very far on a limb here, and very much on a soapbox, but I think Disneyland made sense when it was a "once a year" destination for most folks.

For the truly dedicated who absolutely MUST visit once a week (that's me, too), the price ought to rightly be $1,000/year per person. Tokyo residents pay that, and both Anaheim and Orlando residents should, too.

It's not the weekend mall. It was conceived to be a place of escapism, meant to be sipped in "once every 52 weeks" increments. Those who want the right to visit weekly should be given it, but at a very, very steep premium. Naturally, I include myself in that lot.
    Kevin Yee
    MiceAge Columnist

I am the author of several Disney books:
    Jason's Disneyland Almanac - a daily history of Disneyland
    Walt Disney World Hidden History - tributes, homages, and ride remnants at WDW
    Your Day at the Magic Kingdom
    Mouse Trap
    Tokyo Disney Made Easy
    101 Things You Never Knew About Disneyland
    Magic Quizdom (The Disneyland Trivia Book)

“The press [should be] a watchdog. Not an attack dog. Not a lapdog. A watchdog. Now, a watchdog can't be right all the time. He doesn't bark only when he sees or smells something that's dangerous. A good watchdog barks at things that are suspicious.” – Dan Rather

• Disney Dream 10/23!!

Quote Originally Posted by pinkertonfloyd View Post
    I agree, basically I don't understand WHY they have a "So Cal" Pass or Tickets anyhow... when you think of it, that's the main issue they've had with overcrowding anyhow. I can see them to boost attendance, but when it's so high... dump the SoCal Tickets/passes first.... You don't need them just because Universal has local pricing.

I really don't think it's the lower tier annual passes- it's the monthly payments on the higher level passes. Saturdays are ridiculously busy, even when the lower passes are blocked out.
    ...I finally changed my avatar...

I'm sure this has been mentioned, but why don't they just take away monthly payments if the goal is to thin the APs? That surely would do the trick.

http://www.facebook.com/christopher.allred2
    Feel free to add me. I love getting to know new people.

• Minion

My local grocery store sales tickets at current prices will those go up to and if so, if I bought them today will they still be good until July?

It's a music Celebration
    Come on, come on, come on
    Strike up the band,
    Feel the beat, what a great sensation
    Come on, come on, come on
    Move and clap your hands,
    Get into the Spirit
    Let everyone hear it,
    So come on, come on

The SoCal passes are still worth having because they funnel locals to the most undesirable days, like weekdays and offseason days which would be empty otherwise. But because of their restrictions the Socal passes are worthless to most locals who have normal jobs and/or kids in school.

I don't understand why people are taking a "Premium AP or nothing" stance? If you are paying a certain price right now and that is the ceiling you can afford, then when Disney prices out what you have been paying for, you pay for the next available pass that is in your price range.

What's with the "Well that's it for Disney from me" attitude?

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus
    The saddest part for me, is all of the kids who will be added to the list of "kids who have never been to Disneyland".
    Yes.

Disneyland was not intended to be a luxury destination, was it? It was intended to be a place where the average American family could lose themselves for the day.

My pass (Southern CA) will be $329. That's a $50 increase and it works out to about $5 more per month on the payment system. This year I can do it. Next year I might not be able to.

If you're looking at a family of three, you're looking at a $150 increase on the price of their passes. That's not necessarily doable.

Going to Disneyland is not anyone's right, but it's a shame that it's becoming more and more inaccessible for the average person or family.

• some assembly required

Quote Originally Posted by Michael808702 View Post
    My local grocery store sales tickets at current prices will those go up to and if so, if I bought them today will they still be good until July?

Check for an experation date.
    I saw many tickets expired on June 9th 2012. This was one way many ppl knew that the ticket hike was coming.
    ~Jay

"Ahh-chooo!" ~ Walt Disney
    "Bless you." ~ My Grandfather
    (Disneyland, circa 1957)

Quote Originally Posted by Malina View Post

Disneyland was not intended to be a luxury destination, was it? It was intended to be a place where the average American family could lose themselves for the day.
    Luxury is in the eye of the beholder, but back then all long distance travel was essentially a luxury. People flocked to Disneyland from all over the world and the park was seen as a once-in-a-lifetime destination much like WDW is today.

• former CM

Quote Originally Posted by ShelbyH View Post
    I don't see this information anywhere so I don't know if it's even available, but my big question is about blockout dates. Are they increasing them? What about blockouts for Deluxe passes? Are Southern California passes even going to get Sundays anymore? Is this information out there yet?
    Shelby, the blockout dates are posted through April of 2013. Here's a link:
    Blockout Calendars | Annual Passports | Disneyland Resort

• " Planet of Puddingheads"

Quote Originally Posted by Malina View Post
    Yes.

My pass (Southern CA) will be $329. That's a $50 increase and it works out to about $5 more per month on the payment system. This year I can do it. Next year I might not be able to.

If you're looking at a family of three, you're looking at a $150 increase on the price of their passes. That's not necessarily doable.

Going to Disneyland is not anyone's right, but it's a shame that it's becoming more and more inaccessible for the average person or family.
    I have to agree with you here. All the people saying "well if you can't afford it, you can't afford it-too bad" are sounding very elitist. Walt never meant for the park to be only for the well to do, he wanted someplace for families from all walks of life to be able to enjoy Disneyland. But with these ridiculous price increases sadly the days of the Average Joe taking his family to the park are dwindling.
    “No worries, stay calm, one question. 
Do you happen to know how to fly this thing?”

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Quote Originally Posted by choco choco View Post
    I don't understand why people are taking a "Premium AP or nothing" stance? If you are paying a certain price right now and that is the ceiling you can afford, then when Disney prices out what you have been paying for, you pay for the next available pass that is in your price range.

What's with the "Well that's it for Disney from me" attitude?
    I live 20 minutes away from the park and I have a premium. The premium is way too expensive now for me to renew. My next step is deluxe which is fine considering the monthly payments. But believe me if you don't add parking you will be paying a lot of money to go - I did this once and regretted it. The So Cal passes are a good deal but you can't go most weekends and I have to work. That leaves me stopping by after work usually by myself (which is ok mostly) since most of my freinds and family also have work and school. Since the premium is way overpriced and the others are too inconvenient for me I have no choice but not to renew when it comes up.