Page 14 of 53 FirstFirst ... 4111213141516172439 ... LastLast

• former CM

Re: Disneyland Resort Ticket Price Increase (Merged) Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by DisneylandLover View Post
    I'm sure this has been mentioned, but why don't they just take away monthly payments if the goal is to thin the APs? That surely would do the trick.
    THE goal is to make more money. Yes, I too believe that money probably wasn't the ultimate goal for Walt.

A few have posted about how one can get many APs from other parks for less than some Disney APs. Well after having Disneyland APs for four years in a row, we took a wonderful two-year break from Disneyland. We made a dozen trips to Knott's with their Seasonal Pass (which lasted about 8 months), and we got a 5 visits pass at Universal at Costco--they currently cost $59. (For us, 5 visits to Universal in a year is more than enough--even with Transformers.) Soon, we're going to Yosemite, and we went to SF and visited both Gettys and Griffith Park and San Diego. . . what I'm selling is the idea of a Disneyland break. We still went once for the reasonably priced Halloween party, and now I CAN'T WAIT to get back to Disneyland more often! We'll use our already purchased Deluxe APs for the first time in the fall after the insane Carsland lines have diminished.

Visiting WDW was my favorite thing to do in the world when I was in grade school, but we went exactly one day a year (in the 70s) and stayed off property. I treasured that one day.

If you do get the least expensive AP and if your kids are in middle-school or older, please (as a teacher) avoid pulling your middle and high school kids out of school.

Final tip: we love our Disney Visa card and the Disney dollars we get from it. They will pay for our Walt Disney World tickets and a few nice meals when (or if) we go there in 2014. Check out their new Premium card which (unless this deal was just cancelled) pays 5Xs the dollars for Disney purchases for the first 3 months.
    Last edited by jcruise86; 05-19-2012 at 08:29 AM. Reason: typo

I know Disney's official response will never be, "We were trying to weed out the rabble that we created over the past 20 years" but looking at what they WILL say (new attractions, new entertainment ad nauseum) does anybody know if there were huge price increases for the new attractions of '59 or the New Tomorrowland of '67?
    Please consider the environment before printing useless emails

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    I live 20 minutes away from the park and I have a premium. The premium is way too expensive now for me to renew. My next step is deluxe which is fine considering the monthly payments. But believe me if you don't add parking you will be paying a lot of money to go - I did this once and regretted it. The So Cal passes are a good deal but you can't go most weekends and I have to work. That leaves me stopping by after work usually by myself (which is ok mostly) since most of my freinds and family also have work and school. Since the premium is way overpriced and the others are too inconvenient for me I have no choice but not to renew when it comes up.
    This about covers it for me as well. The irony is that I RARELY, if ever, show up on days when the deluxe is blocked out. The week after Christmas is generally a nightmare, and on days when the park is forecasted to be a 9 or a 10, I'll generally stay home or find something else to do. But the So Cal dates block you out for the entire summer and most, if not all, Saturdays during the year. We started at the So Cal level and finally moved up to Premium (myself as I needed the parking) and deluxe for my kids. Looking back, we just didn't use our SoCal passes enough to justify the expense, especially now that it would be $1300 for the four of us PLUS another $130 for parking. If you look at the dates that we would actually be able to get to the park, it simply isn't worth it.

So if a premiere pass is 750, WHY WOULD I BUY AN AP FOR 650, that's INSANE. Eisner's ghost is still around I guess...

• Love HD videos!

20 to 35 mins from Disneyland, Knotts, Universal, Raging water

Quote Originally Posted by jcruise86 View Post
    what I'm selling is the idea of a Disneyland break.
    I definitely agreed with the need for a Disneyland break.

As an annual passholder for nearly 6 years straight I think it's time for me to definitely take a break from Disneyland once my pass expire.

I think I will go on a Disneyland break for five years before deciding to get another one.

Like I said in my other post, once I get to visit Cars Land and watch some of their new shows, there is definitely no need to come back to Disneyland again since there will not be anything new to see anymore for at least a minimum of 4 years.

The only reason I've been getting an annual pass for the pass 6 straight years is because there were a lot of new stuff being constructed in DCA. If it wasn't for the reconstruction of DCA, I would be getting it yearly.

I've been waiting for Cars Land and Buena Vista for nearly 5 years and now it's almost done.
    Now I get to enjoy it in the next few weeks, and finally get to take a break from Disneyland indefinitely.
    Last edited by SoCalbma; 05-19-2012 at 08:40 AM.
    My Brand New Youtube channel -"SoCal ATTRACTIONS 360"
    http://www.youtube.com/SoCalAttractions360

• former CM

Re: Disneyland Premium Annual Pass now $649! Up a $150 from before!

Quote Originally Posted by WildForMrToad View Post
    Officially start may 20th buy your AP NOW!
    ^That.

THE goal is to make more money. Yes, I too believe that money probably wasn't the ultimate goal for Walt.

A few have posted about how one can get many APs from other parks for less than some Disney APs. Well after having Disneyland APs for four years in a row, we took a wonderful two-year break from Disneyland. We made a dozen trips to Knott's with their Seasonal Pass (which lasted about 8 months), and we got a 5 visits pass at Universal at Costco--they currently cost $59. (For us, 5 visits to Universal in a year is more than enough--even with Transformers.) Soon, we're going to Yosemite, and we went to SF and visited both Gettys and Griffith Park and San Diego. . . what I'm selling is the idea of a Disneyland break. We still went once for the reasonably priced Halloween party, and now I CAN'T WAIT to get back to Disneyland more often! We'll use our already purchased Deluxe APs for the first time in the fall after the insane Carsland lines have diminished.

Visiting WDW was my favorite thing to do in the world when I was in grade school, but we went exactly one day a year (in the 70s) and stayed off property. I treasured that one day.

If you do get the least expensive AP and if your kids are in middle-school or older, please (as a teacher) avoid pulling your middle and high school kids out of school.

Final tip: we love our Disney Visa card and the Disney dollars we get from it. They will pay for our Walt Disney World tickets and a few nice meals when (or if) we go there in 2014. Check out their new Premium card which (unless this deal was just cancelled) pays 5Xs the dollars for Disney purchases for the first 3 months.
    The Disney premium Visa isn't worth it because it isn't flexible and carries a hefty $50 annual fee. I would tell you to get a freedom and when the categories switch to grocery stores, purchase Disney Gift Cards since it would be 5x anyways...

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalbma View Post
    I definitely agreed with the need for a Disneyland break.

As an annual passholder for nearly 6 years straight I think is time for me to definitely take a break from Disneyland once my pass expire.

I think I will go on a Disneyland break for five years before deciding to get another one.

Like I said in my other post, once I get to visit Cars Land and watch some of their new shows, there is definitely no need to come back to Disneyland again since there will not be anything new to see anymore for at least a minimum of 4 years.

The only reason I've been getting an annual pass for the pass 6 straight years is because there were a lot of new stuff being constructed in DCA. I've been waiting for Cars Land for nearly 5 years and now it's almost done. Now I get to enjoy it in the next few weeks, and finally get to take a break from Disneyland.
    Of course 5 years from now the premium AP will probably be $1100.

My Deluxe expires in October. I had wondered at what price point I would not renew. I've got until then to figure out if I want to buy one more year, or just pay for the tickets since I'm down to only going a couple of times a year now instead of the 3-5 that I was doing.

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

Frakin ridiculous is the right word! Seriously I don't think the price increase is worth it considering how tiny both parks are. People already feel cramped and Disney just trying to make a buck shame on you! Still love going to Disneyland and DCA though.

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by WorldDisney View Post
    Well I think the monthly payment deal proved that Disney knew they hit the ceiling a while ago! They knew when the recession hit there was going to be no way they were going to keep up a steady flow of AP buyers because the price was already pretty outrageous and so thats what they came up with.
    The monthly payment plan was a way to look 'cheaper' without actually lowering prices. It was a way to boost demand without discounting. They knew demand wasn't sagging, just people's ability to put out large chunks of money at once. It was a way to 'meet buyers in the middle' without actually giving up any ground. It wasn't demand was down, it was 'ability to pay' was down and Disney countered that.

Now it remains effective as a tool to help diffuse the shock value of costs... especially for families.

And for people who keep saying DLR hasnt been charging a premium, they seem to think DL are charged at competitive prices and its nowhere close. The MOST expensive non-Disney AP out there is still waaaay cheaper than the So Cal Select Disney AP wich obviously is their cheapest!
    1) are any of those other parks worth visiting more then 5x or so per year? Are DL passholders interested in going to the parks more frequently then other parks? Yup.. and the pricing reflects that. You're comparing apples and oranges. Break even is based on how much you desire/intent to use the product.

2) No one ever said they aren't charging a premium bu that its still a good VALUE for what you get. Lets face it.. the majority of people in this thread are the types that go many times a year.. and are still getting a huge price break with their APs.

3) No one is saying Disney is charging 'competitive' prices to other parks.. DL doesn't need to, they aren't offering a comparable park to the others.. but much more of a park. They know their offerings are above and beyond the others and charge accordingly.
    But yes, I DO agree that they are worth the money but there will be a ceiling at SOME point! I thought the $80 one day price point would never go beyound a few dollars over the next few years and they basically pushed it to near $90 in LESS than a year! Thats crazy!

I mean lets stop this idea that DLR isnt charging a premium for their APs because there are NO other theme parks in the entire planet that charges the rate for their APs that Disney does. Nowhere close!
    Uhh.. Toyko does.. and significantly more than DL. WDW premium passes are still more expensive. And we should expect a WDW ticket price increase here shortly as well...

Quote Originally Posted by thermo648 View Post
    Ok, the craziest thing that I'm seeing now is that unless Disney World changes their prices as well, a park hopper ticket will now cost $5 more at Disneyland than at Disney World. Now I love Disneyland, but having the price be that high for half the number of parks is just absolutely unreasonable.
    DL has less parks, but near equivalent number of attractions. Plus, everything is more expensive in California.. and expect a WDW ticket increase too before too long.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalbma View Post
    For the price of one premium pass ($650) to Disneyland starting on Sunday,

you can use the money and get your pass to ALL of Southern California theme parks and still have some money left over.
    You can get a year pass for SEAWORLD, KNOTTS BERRY FARM, SIX FLAGS MAGIC MOUNTAIN, UNIVERSAL STUDIOS HOLLYWOOD, SAN DIEGO ZOO all for the price of one Disneyland premium pass.
    And if you had all those passes.. which would you still visit more often? DL or Seaworld? You're comparing parks that need to draw people in for more than 'one and done' to a park people have grown up being accustomed to visiting DLR 5-10-25 times a year.

It's a fun stat, but one that doesn't really tell a meaningful story... except people want to visit DL far more often than the other parks.

Don't pay that money for rewards limited only to Disney. Get a rewards card that has no annual fee, gives 1-3% cash back, and use those rewards for money at Disney.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by KevinYee View Post
    I'm very far on a limb here, and very much on a soapbox, but I think Disneyland made sense when it was a "once a year" destination for most folks.

For the truly dedicated who absolutely MUST visit once a week (that's me, too), the price ought to rightly be $1,000/year per person. Tokyo residents pay that, and both Anaheim and Orlando residents should, too.

It's not the weekend mall. It was conceived to be a place of escapism, meant to be sipped in "once every 52 weeks" increments. Those who want the right to visit weekly should be given it, but at a very, very steep premium. Naturally, I include myself in that lot.
    Why not then give another option then? What If I want to just go 6 times a year....why not let me pay 300 bucks to go ANY days I want but only 6 times or something like that?

Make it for CA residents, for one it would help with crowds and two make you treasure your six days much more....but Disney NOW is a place that adds a new ride/show in the summer, has Halloween events, Christmas events and a good slow down in the beginning of the year, to me Disney is forces the price increases by only offering ONE type of pass that give some people too many chances to come

• Pilot EdForceOne

Re: Disneyland Premium Annual Pass now $649! Up a $150 from before!

Quote Originally Posted by KevinYee View Post
    Note to self: Flynnibus displays logic even in threads that are more commonly dominated by emotion. Thus, pay attention to future flynnibus posts.....
    Should have picked up on that sooner Kevin...

I think the focus on AP prices vs gate prices really shows what this community is about... Disney impacting how THEY are accustomed to visiting the parks. I think the sadder portion in this is the single day gate price, which is really the audience involved when people try to play the 'Disney should be for everyone' drama.

I expect Disney to keep AP prices up, but possibly be more agressive with gate promotions. A higher gate price offers 'oo, thats a bargin' marketing options, while helping justify AP prices, and keeping the AP prices high helps curb the AP growth.

I fully expect if the new DCA is perceived well, there will be even more radical AP and park hopper changes for next year.

I really do wish Disney would goto 'bulk' buying options instead of 'buffet style' APs. Keep a ultra premium AP, and then offer everyone else upsell opportunities to pre-purchase gate admissions in blocks. The more you buy, the more you save.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• Seasick

Re: Disneyland Ticket Price Increases

Quote Originally Posted by 80sDLCastMember View Post
    OK, let's test your theory. In 2002, one day ticket to DL was $45, in 2012 $87 - a 93% increase (remember, inflation would only be $57.55 in 2012 dollars)

What did we get to justify a 93% increase over that time?

Pooh, Buzz, remodeled Star Tours, Nemo, and Pixie Hollow.

If that warrants a 93% increase from the 2002 Disneyland experience to you, than you and Disney are in full alignment.

And I had friends come in from out of town last week and took them to DL so I got the joy of buying 6 one day tickets and that 93% increase is very real.
    I'm talking about back as far as opening day. The fact is, Disneyland attractions used to cost a lot less to build, even accounting for inflation. As time has gone on, and the customers want bigger and better attractions, the admission costs will naturally rise at a rate greater than inflation as well.

Of course, in reality, the prices aren't actually based on the cost of attractions and upkeep, they're set based on supply and demand. Every year Disney raises tickets, and every year the customers keep coming. And so it goes.
    My Micechat cruise trip report, Part 1:http://micechat.com/14795-disney-wonder/

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    1) are any of those other parks worth visiting more then 5x or so per year? Are DL passholders interested in going to the parks more frequently then other parks? Yup.. and the pricing reflects that. You're comparing apples and oranges. Break even is based on how much you desire/intent to use the product.
    You are right. DL passholders are not interested in going multiple times to the other parks -- yet. But give Transformers a chance, and wait for WWOHP. Also with Mart Ouimet in charge at Cedar Fair Knotts will only get better, not worse. Heck in fact that's already starting to happen.

Disneyland wasn't always the main park in southern California. There were a few years in the 60s and 70s where attendance figures at Knotts and Disneyland were not much different from each other. If you combine the improvements at the other parks with an outrageous price increase from Disney you may be surprised what actually winds up happening. The suits who came in to Disney barely knowing anything about their history better read up on the subject because as they say history is destined to repeat itself.

I also would like to add that I just asked DIP Jr (who is almost 14 years old) if he is looking forward to going back to USH to ride Transformers again or going to see Carsland. He said Transformers. He said his freinds feel the same way. I'm just throwing this out there.

The fallout from this latest increase should be interesting to say he least.

• Seasick

Re: Disneyland Ticket Price Increases

Quote Originally Posted by Malina View Post
    Yes.

Disneyland was not intended to be a luxury destination, was it? It was intended to be a place where the average American family could lose themselves for the day.

My pass (Southern CA) will be $329. That's a $50 increase and it works out to about $5 more per month on the payment system. This year I can do it. Next year I might not be able to.

If you're looking at a family of three, you're looking at a $150 increase on the price of their passes. That's not necessarily doable.

Going to Disneyland is not anyone's right, but it's a shame that it's becoming more and more inaccessible for the average person or family.
    Yes, exactly, for the day. And yet, in these threads there is always the attitude that people should be able to go whenever they want, at the price they want.

Unlimited admission to Disneyland is a luxory, and if such a luxury is out of reach for most people it does not automatically mean that Disneyland is no longer a place that an average family can visit on occasion.

Why does the notion that Disneyland is "intended to be a place where the average American family could lose themselves for the day" somehow mean that annual passes must be affordably priced for everyone?
    My Micechat cruise trip report, Part 1:http://micechat.com/14795-disney-wonder/