Page 28 of 53 FirstFirst ... 3182526272829303138 ... LastLast

• " Planet of Puddingheads"

Re: Disneyland Resort Ticket Price Increase (Merged) Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Sjcwdi12 View Post
    Good. Don't go.

Bottom line is that Disney made this decision on a number of factors. And making short term profit is relatively low on the list.

Try crowd control from the local population for one. Makes sense because the largest price increases were all annual passes.

One day one pal went up 7$. Not terrible.

They went with this system because is simply easier than dealing with ticket books. (been there done that no need to go back) the pass with the daily tired entrance structure pricing is also confusing.

26 pages devoted to the discussion of Disney pricing. Bottom line is that if you can't afford it, you can't go.

I want a Ferrari but I'm gonna complain about the $430,000 price tag because I'm not priveledged enough to be in the class of people that can afford one

Same concept could be applied here as unfortunate as it is. Some people don't see the value in a Ferrari, viewing it as only a common car to get you from point a to point b...

Dosneyland is the Ferrari of theme parks. Find another park that compares to the level of service and the quality of attraction (not Disney operated/run) and make a true comparison in value, corporate culture, end product, etcetc.

87$ is well worth all of that.

Hell 650 is well worth unlimited access to these realms.
    And some wonder why......
    “No worries, stay calm, one question. 
Do you happen to know how to fly this thing?”

• Minion

Re: Disneyland Premium Annual Pass now $649! Up a $150 from before!

how much is the primer passport now
    I have a problem with dyslexia, but if you will please bear with me, I would love to participate in the conversations here at MiceChat. Thanks for your understanding! - Matthttp://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo[URL=http://www.youtube.com/user/MrDisneylandfan4ever?feature=mhumfeature=mhum#p/u"]http://www.youtube.com/user/matt4mickey123?feature=mhum#p/u[/U- Mattșoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șo[disneyland repctive of the wedsday show dca eathen brithday 282 by mickeyfan4ever1234, on Flickr

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Disneymike View Post
    And some wonder why......
    And your answer to solving the crowding and experience issues is....

And to be clear, I think $87 for a day at DL is insane. That being said, if it was the $57.55 we mentioned earlier in the thread (2002 at inflationary growth) the park would be even worse so clearly the market has spoken and $80+ dollars is not insane. If I had my choice, I would eliminate all AP's except SoCal midweek which brings in people when the park has capacity.

The core issue is the AP program was expanded after 9/11 and a soft DCA opening and now is a drug that passholders and management can't get off.
    Last edited by 80sDLCastMember; 05-20-2012 at 04:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    Meaning no disrespect to your opinion, which you are completely entitled to, I would ask if "Good. Don't go." is purely your opinion... or does it also represent the attitude of your employer, the Walt Disney Company?

Just curious.

Again, meaning no disrespect to your post, do you have inside information as a Cast Member to support that statement? If you've heard reasons for these price hikes on your job at the DLR, I'm sure the thread would like to hear them.

I don't know the specifics of what they're teaching Cast Members in Traditions these days, but in point of historical fact, the information you were given is an enormous oversimplification of the many factors involved in Disney's migration from ticket books to one-day tickets and annual passports.

I think that's another oversimplification -- some might think it a somewhat rude dismissal -- of the many deeply-felt opinions expressed in this thread that criticize Disney's price hike, and of the numerous posts in that regard which have been well and thoughtfully written.

Again I would ask, is your statement purely your opinion of the posters in this forum, or does it also reflect an attitude that you have heard from your employers at DLR?

No these are self generated oversimplifications based upon observations and happenings in the park and from the view of a guest that pays these prices in order to enjoy the park. Yes I bought my last annual pass and several before that.

As far as my "don't go" remark. It sounds harsher than it was meant. And without trying to oversimplify again, it's my personal feeling that crowd control is a huge issue and that Disney might share this sentiment (in a heartfelt manner) (this better not get me fired. ALL SPECUALTION AND MY PERSONAL OPINION FROM PERSONAL OBSERVATIONS) to a certain extent.

As a passholder with a selfish view of trying to enjoy the parks when they aren't rediculously crowded the price increase does scream "less people"

Maybe a mix of my simplicity and the overanalyzation of the price hike that's closer to the truth. My main point in providing such a simple answer is that regardless of what the reason are, prices went up... By a lot. And to get them to do anything about it it's going to take A LOT. There are some fair arguments out there...

My apologies for citing something I can't remember the definite source of... You can be dismissive all you want of this but it helped formulate my opinion. I read in an article about TDA visit Harry potter land, being scared stiff of the crowd mayhem, and then experiencing the nightmare rush of annual passholders on leap year they are tryin any and all strategies to keep us at bay...

Either way this is a very muddy argument. There are extremely fine lines that border this argument on all sides.

As a cast member I have absolutely zero input in the price change. Not my place.

• Very Helpful Old Feller

Well, reckon my heart's in Texas but right now I live down N'Olins way...

Howdy Pards,

Well now, some of you fellers may have stumbled across this here plaque as you was runnin' to Space Mountain and Indiana Jones and such...it's kinda hidden there out front of the flagpole...

Course, that was all Walt Disney's thinkin' way back in those ancient times. Disney's current top corporate leadership has been workin' on some revisions, you might say, that more accurately reflect today's policies under Bob Iger's wonderful leadership... So here's what the new proposed plaque would read...

"To all rich people who come to this happy place...
    WELCOME.
    Disneyland is YOUR land as long as you can afford
    the price of admission.
    Here age relives fond memories of the past,
    if they were wise enough to build up a huge
    retirement account, and here youth may savor
    the challenge and promise of the future if their
    parents are rich.
    Disneyland used to be dedicated to the ideals
    and dreams, but, now, just the hard facts that
    have created America with the hope that it will be
    a source of joy and inspiration to all the rich people
    of the world."

Robert Iger - 2012

They figure, of course, on removin' that old plaque...maybe sellin' it on ebay or somethin'...and replacin' it with the new one. Soon all those old fashioned ideas from way, way back in the 1950's will vanish from the park...and only Uncle Bob's ideas will remain...the crowds will be smaller too! And, profits will surely be up, up, up!

Adios for now. Talk to ya on down the trail.

Wild Ol' Dan

Last edited by Wild Ol' Dan; 05-20-2012 at 04:59 PM.
    "I can see the cattle grazin' o'er the hills at early morn…
    I can see the campfires smokin’ at the breaking of the dawn,
    I can hear the bronco's neighin', I can hear the cowboys sing,
    I'd like to be in Texas for the Round-up in the Spring."

You know what I retract my previous statements!!

In walts honor, without further ado... Open those main gates wide and let the people rush in daily!

Some people could NEVER afford Disneyland. Some people will ALWAYS NEVER be able to afford disneyland. Some people were born in Africa as a part of the kalahari bushmen tribe and will never even hear of the name Jesus Christ. And that's FREE!!! I guess he is goin to hell

My points are as rediculous as some of the arguments here for a reason

Im not trying to be an elitist as much as a realist.

• " Planet of Puddingheads"

Quote Originally Posted by 80sDLCastMember View Post
    Exactly. And what all of the "some kids won't be able to go" and "it's not fair" posters seem to continue to be missing is there is capacity issue that is negatively impacting the park experience for those folks who are coming in from San Francisco or Iowa and staying in the hotels and paying full price for a multi-day ticket, merch, etc.

Even my experience when I bought several one day tickets last week was terrible vs. when I'm there on my pass and the crowds are so bad you can't move or go on many rides as I just think "next time" but for that person on a single day $87 pass, there is no "next time".

Because the public has spoken so loudly that they want to go to the park in numbers well beyond the level of a pleasant experience, Disneyland is forced with few options:

1) Don't change pricing/AP structure and close gates when "comfortable" limit is reached: PR nightmare and you will hurt your most valuable customers and the current (flawed) business model is that they need excessive crowds to make up for them paying less per click (lower admission/F&B/merch per caps). Also, can you imagine the rush every morning and the "let me in" issues you saw at the One More Day happening every Saturday?
    2) Limit amount of AP passes you sell: Again, confusing to be told "Sold Out" and may even create a secondary market for passes (Disney StubHub)
    3) Use time tested revenue management strategies of finding behavior changing price points to optimize crowd levels and margin per click.

That's the reality. If you are going to argue "every family should be able to afford to go" then you have to come up with a solution to not have the park be a miserable experience for all. I don't seem to be hearing other ideas...

So, start limiting the number of guests through the gates. Say cap the day off at around 30,000 or less. If you multiply 30,000 by say, 340 days that equals 10,200,000 guests per year which is within Disneyland's attendance figures for the year.

---------- Post added 05-20-2012 at 05:54 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Sjcwdi12 View Post
    You know what I retract my previous statements!!

In walts honor, without further ado... Open those main gates wide and let the people rush in daily!

Some people could NEVER afford Disneyland. Some people will ALWAYS NEVER be able to afford disneyland. Some people were born in Africa as a part of the kalahari bushmen tribe and will never even hear of the name Jesus Christ. And that's FREE!!! I guess he is goin to hell

My points are as rediculous as some of the arguments here for a reason

Im not trying to be an elitist as much as a realist.
    You are correct, your points in your post are ridiculous....
    “No worries, stay calm, one question. 
Do you happen to know how to fly this thing?”

As both a big fan of Disney, and especially it’s parks, as well as a Shareholder, I’m not completely happy about this price increase. I completely understand that Disney is a private company, with the job to increase revenue for its shareholders. I enjoy getting a dividend every year, and I also enjoy seeing the stock price rise; however, that’s tempered with the knowledge that Disney has continued to raise prices up year over year, and I know that can affect the ability of a normal “middle class” family to share in the Disney magic.
    My personal belief is that 2012, and all of the new construction at California Adventure is as much a mea culpa for the mistakes of the last administration (Eisner, Pressler, Harris, et al) as an opportunity for growth in the business. Many of us AP's had passes prior to the announcements of DCA 2.0, hoping that it would get the attention that it needed to be a “Disney park” on par with our hopes and expectations of the Disney Decade (WestCOT…). Everything I’ve seen to this point makes me think that the imagineers have met our expectations, but the proof is in the pudding. As a shareholder, I’m withholding my judgement on the success of DCA 2.0 until June 15th, because DCA 1.0 was sold as the greatest theme park on the planet, and we all know now how badly that turned out, and with rides like Luigi’s Flying Tires (which have issues that have come out in the fan press), and Radiator Springs Racers (which is based on Test Track, a ride that continues to go down quite often, even 10 years after it’s opening), I’m just afraid that Disney again is selling a bill of goods that it’s not ready to deliver on. Therefore, I think Disney would have been smart to treat 2012 as a Mea Culpa, or better yet, as a reward for loyalty to the pass holders who have survived "Disney’s Construction Adventure". They could have done this multiple different ways – one idea I have is to announce the price increases with more lead time, and allow any current passholders to lock in another year at the current rate; They could have also provided a tiered discounting system where the longer you’ve been a passholder, the better a discount you got at your next renewal. What I think Disney has missed is that many AP’s are it’s loudest critics, because they are their most loyal fans, and instead of saying screw you on an annual basis, once in a while, a thank you would be appreciated (and that ridiculous thank you card they send every year doesn’t count). Additionally, I think that it’s better to leave a little money in your customer’s wallet so that they can buy their kids a Mickey Mouse stuffed animal or choose to return at a later date – that’s how you make loyal and crazy fans like all of us who are on this discussion board.

There are some people that are clearly upset over my personal opinions and have voted my responses negatively... Thanks whomever you are, for imposing your judgment on my opinions.

My opinion on the matter is driven by logic seasoned by living in a world that we live in today. I don't govern my opinions based upon what if we were livin in utopia.

My points are rediculous and if you fail to see why then you are a part of the problems in the world.

I have meant no one disrespect.

Why are people focusing on the rediculous statements that I made to illustrate my points and not the actual point itself.

There is no way dlr will become affordable or accessible to everyone alive.

A fellow named newton once said that two things can't take up the same space... There is a point in which people will not physiccally fit into the park. If everyone and their mother in California has a pass (which they pretty much already do) it just sucks to go...

Be honest with yourself and not some feel gooder unreal optimist.

Population of califorinia is 37 million people divided by 365 days is 100,000 people a day. (yes I know the point is extreme but this is what people are asking for essentially ) if everyone could afford it and went once a year. On any given day there are 100,000 locals in the park.

Very extreme example of why price plays a part in controlling crowds and not just being a "greed" factor which is the primary thing people are complaining about here

Now bump my rep up cuz I'd probably be one of the most helpful and nice mice chatters around.
    J
    ust realize that I don't like sugar coatings and I'll be honest 100% of the time

• ---------------

Quote Originally Posted by homerz View Post
    ... once in a while, a thank you would be appreciated (and that ridiculous thank you card they send every year doesn’t count).....
    I've never received one of those cards.
    Then again,
    I never get the Backstage Magazine either.
    Quote by Al:
    To that end I'd like the Internet community to join me in reminding the Disney company that "it all started with Walt." As you can see below we've created some T-shirts, plus a few simple graphics that you can copy and paste into your websites to let folks know how you feel.
    -Al Lutz

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Disneymike View Post
    So, start limiting the number of guests through the gates. Say cap the day off at around 30,000 or less. If you multiply 30,000 by say, 340 days that equals 10,200,000 guests per year which is within Disneyland's attendance figures for the year..
    OK, let's walk through that - since you don't want to have your domestic/international tourist get to the park and not be able to get in, you really will therefore need to segment your guests and create a "you can, but you can't" situation on who is going to be let in on a busy Saturday. There is a reason it is an anathema for DL to ever close the gates (bad press, crying kids, upset tourists, etc.) as it is a nightmare and is done very rarely. I'm sure you'd be just fine with getting all the way to the park and finding out after parking, going through the tram, security, etc. that you were number 30,001 and were told you couldn't go in.

Then, you have to deal with not all 30,000 guests are the same as the mix is so different. Obviously, the financial pecking order for Disney (admission/F&B/merch/lodging percap) goes international tourist, domestic tourist, local one-day full paid, local discount admission, AP's. So you can't have 30,000 AP's show up first and block out the more "economically valuable" guests so you'd have to have a "per guest type limit" and there you have the start of the nightmare.

To me, without the benefit of the revenue management detail, I would go:

1) Flex demand pricing - weekdays x% off weekends/holidays. Just for conversation, "Peak" daily rate at $75, off-peak $50. Allows for guests to "self select" on what they can afford.
    2) Offer only off-peak annual passes that cost at least 5 times daily admission rate
    3) All local discounts also only mid-week ("play 2 days" not redeemable on weekends, holidays, for example)
    4) Continue with dramatically discounted 2nd, 3rd, 4th day pricing on multi-day passes to encourage length of stay
    Last edited by 80sDLCastMember; 05-20-2012 at 05:30 PM. Reason: Ipad typing is not easy

The use of inflation calculators is idiotic and people need to stop the comparisons. If the price to travel and the population of the world was the same in 1982 as it is today, then fine, it makes sense. But it's not. Today it is significantly cheaper to fly and stay in hotels, and the population of California is significantly larger. This creates significantly more demand. If the price matched the inflation calculator, then Disneyland would be overran daily and shut down the gates every afternoon. Disney can't do that, so it needs to offset the increase demand by creating a price that allows for ideal crowds given today's demographics. That is why Disneyland tickets will continue to rise faster than inflation, now and into the future.

A total vacation to Disneyland today probably costs the same as it did in 1982 using inflation calculators, because staying in hotels and flying was significantly more expensive back then, even prohibitively expensive for many middle class families.

80sDLCastMember - Not sure if this would work, but do you think an After 4pm weekday annual pass could work? With Magnetic Strip tickets/passes, Disney could also consider offering "Admission Only/Pay per ride" type passes (like they did 1955-1980's) along with All-you-can-ride passes. Just a few thoughts....

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by MAH4546 View Post
    The use of inflation calculators is idiotic and people need to stop the comparisons. If the price to travel and the population of the world was the same in 1982 as it is today, then fine, it makes sense. But it's not
    ehh.. you do realize inflation is calculated by looking at costs as they moved due to various factors.. it's a measure of RESULTS, not some formula that says what prices 'should be'. It's not a perfect thing because not all costs move uniformly and it's value is interpreted by sampling key metrics... but it's not some fictitious, math only number. It measures the impact of things like you mention.

Don't know where you think hotels are cheaper now.. paying $80/night for places in po-dunk ain't cheap like it used to be. And airline deregulation happened in the 70s leading to cheap flying in the 80s. They aren't talking about the 50s here where flying was exotic. And airline prices are way up now, compared to where they used to be about 5-10 years ago due to increased fuel costs and labor costs. No more $79 tickets to FL like you could get regularly just 5 years ago.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    So you still take up parking.. I bet you watch fireworks/F!.. you still take up staffing.. etc. The 'hit and run' visitors are actually quite a burden on the park. They cause swells in the park that still require staffing, space, and facilities, yet aren't really paying their way at the gate.

The 'Disneyland whenever I want...' model is something I hope Disney is making into an exclusive priced option. Get back to visiting Disneyland being an event..
    Wait, when's the last time the parking structure and lots were too full for guests? That's sort of a silly example.

Regarding Fireworks or Fantasmic, as stated previously I don't really watch Fantasmic unless there's an open spot nor would I wait to line up for the fireworks. If you're asking if I look up in the sky, then yeah...I may take a peek.

But, again, I would assume my $40 spent on dinner and another $10 on a Vinylmation plus maybe a hot chocolate for $6 and a $10 candy apple for the wife helps make Disney a profit.

There may be a staffing need, but other than that I don't think this 'swell' does anything but spend money. Maybe not at the gate, but one would think it's a highly dependable source of revenue.

I don't think this was Disney jumping blindly. I assume they acted with knowledge, not malice and with profits in mind. Like I said, everyone has a price point and mine may be coming close.

My main point was that I think there is a disconnect between those who think Apers get the same experience as a Two Day Park Hopper. When I see people figuring out the 'per day price' of a Premium Pass as if that's some realistic calculation of value, it's just not accurate.