Page 43 of 53 FirstFirst ... 3340414243444546 ... LastLast

• CM supporter

30 miles south of the happiest place on earth

Re: Disneyland Resort Ticket Price Increase (Merged) Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by disneydancer76 View Post
    Last years increase was tough to swallow, but I still managed to get passes for the family. We go up an average of 6-10 times a year and we spend money. This new increase makes it absolutely impossible to renew our passes. I don't even have the desire to pay for a day pass because of Disney's decision. Is it now only possible for those individuals who have certain income tax bracket to be able to "experience the magic"? The Disney "business plan" smells a bit prejudicial to me.
    Ok, this is getting a bit laughable. Now raising prices is prejudicial? Right.

How do you all not understand this, Disneyland has always been something that's only affordable to certain people. It's not free. There's not a Disneyland in every state, making it cheap and accessible to the masses.

My goodness, people. Did you realize that there were people that couldn't afford the SoCal passes when they were $199? What about those folks? Oh yeah, doesn't matter because you could still afford to go at those prices.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Susan Hughes View Post
    I may be in the minority on this one, but I welcome the price increase. Anything to curb the out of control overcrowding at the parks, even during the slowest of the off season days.
    I was totally against the monthly payment plan because what I thought would happen...did!
    107,000 passholders quickly shot to one million+ passholders. I'm pretty sure The Disneyland Resort won't end the monthly payment plan, but at least I have hope that these huge price increases will maybe help a little.
    This summer attendance at the parks will be insane, even record breaking. So all power to The Disneyland Resort for cashing in on the rabid feeding frenzy heading this way. I say raise the rates again mid summer.
    I don't think we will see the effect of this pricing structure for a little while if anything the next year may be even more crowded. just in my circle of friends when the announcement was made 5 of my friends who never had a Premium AP logged on to get it at the lower price. So in two years we may see the effect of this. Also who knows what the price will be then 1000???? Although i would still pay it but that's me I love going so it would be hard for me to put that amount of times I go to DLR to twice a year.

Quote Originally Posted by Susan Hughes View Post
    I may be in the minority on this one, but I welcome the price increase. Anything to curb the out of control overcrowding at the parks, even during the slowest of the off season days.
    I was totally against the monthly payment plan because what I thought would happen...did!
    107,000 passholders quickly shot to one million+ passholders. I'm pretty sure The Disneyland Resort won't end the monthly payment plan, but at least I have hope that these huge price increases will maybe help a little.
    This summer attendance at the parks will be insane, even record breaking. So all power to The Disneyland Resort for cashing in on the rabid feeding frenzy heading this way. I say raise the rates again mid summer.
    Just because there may end up being LESS APs doesn't mean there will be LESS crowds! If the average AP currently goes 10x/year and then pays more for that pass, their thinking may be, "hey, I need to go to the park MORE to get more value out of this pass!"

• Seasick

This new increase makes it absolutely impossible to renew our passes.
    I've said it before and I'll say it again. Save for a few months and you can afford another pass. Going without for a few months isn't even close to it being "impossible" to renew.

Is it now only possible for those individuals who have certain income tax bracket to be able to "experience the magic"?
    Yes. Just like last year. And the year before that. And the 50+ years prior to that one.
    My Micechat cruise trip report, Part 1:http://micechat.com/14795-disney-wonder/

• Very Helpful Old Feller

Well, reckon my heart's in Texas but right now I live down N'Olins way...

Howdy Pards,

Well, I think we all purty much agree on one thing and that is that too many people in the park can spoil a Disneyland day for everyone.

So, what's the solution?

Expandin' the park some would help of course. Makin' the place bigger would spread folks out some.

But...we gotta face facts a little. Ya just can't stuff 100,000 cows in a corral that will only hold 25 or 50 thousand.

But how do we trim the herd a little?

The "Profiteers" immediately say "Let's raise prices!" Get all those poor folks out of the park.

The "Mouseketeers" immediately respond, "But, what about my kids...poor kids and middle class kids want a hug from Mickey too ya know?"

Tourists who've traveled quite a ways say, "Let's trim down all these local Annual Passholders who come just about every day anyway."

Annual Passholders say, "We're the most dedicated...the most loyal...the most true and deserving Disneyland fans of all."

So, what do ya do? Profiteers will say that their idea is the only one that matters...but is that truly fair?

They answer..."Life isn't fair...never was...never will be. You want in? Bring lots of money!"

Well, I ain't particularly rich, so I kinda know what it feels like to be trimmed from the herd cause my wallet isn't big enough. It don't feel good. And I wonder if there might just be a better way of trimmin' the herd down.

To me...it's a simple matter. When the corral is full...you ain't got no choice but to close the gate. So folks who don't get in one day...might get in the next...regardless of who they are or the size of their wallets.

To Walt families were the important thing...he wanted Disneyland to be a place where the young and the old could laugh and learn and play, together. Twernt just rich families he was talkin' about either...it was all families.

Yep...closin' the gate when the corral is full...is the only fair answer. Not raisin' prices to the point where folks can no longer afford to come... Disneyland was built for Mouseketeers...not Profiteers.

Adios for now. Talk to ya on down the trail.

Wild Ol' Dan
    Last edited by Wild Ol' Dan; 05-23-2012 at 01:13 PM.
    "I can see the cattle grazin' o'er the hills at early morn…
    I can see the campfires smokin’ at the breaking of the dawn,
    I can hear the bronco's neighin', I can hear the cowboys sing,
    I'd like to be in Texas for the Round-up in the Spring."

Why is everyone ignoring what this is doing to the average family who can't afford a pass?
    It's not doing anything to the average family. It's not a tax. No one is forcing anyone to pay these tickets prices.
    "In many ways, the work of a critic is easy. We risk very little yet enjoy a position over those who offer up their work and their selves to our judgment. We thrive on negative criticism, which is fun to write and to read. But the bitter truth we critics must face, is that in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so. But there are times when a critic truly risks something, and that is in the discovery and defense of the new. The world is often unkind to new talent, new creations, the new needs friends." - Anton Ego

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Wild Ol' Dan View Post
    Howdy Pards,

Well, I think we all purty much agree on one thing and that is that too many people in the park can spoil a Disneyland day for everyone.

So, what's the solution?

Expandin' the park some would help of course. Makin' the place bigger would spread folks out some.

But...we gotta face facts a little. Ya just can't stuff a 100,000 cows in a corral that will only hold only 25 or 50 thousand.

But how do we trim the herd a little?

The "Profiteers" immediately say "Let's raise prices!" Get all those poor folks out of the park.

The "Mouseketeers" immediately respond, "But, what about my kids...poor kids want a hug from Mickey too ya know?"

Tourists who've traveled quite a ways say, "Let's trim down all these local Annual Passholders who come just about every day anyway."

Annual Passholders say, "We're the most dedicated...the most loyal...the most true and deserving Disneyland fans of all."

So, what do ya do? Profiteers will say that their idea is the only one that matters...but is that truly fair?

They answer..."Life isn't fair...never was...never will be. You want in? Bring lots of money!"

Well, I ain't particularly rich, so I kinda know what it feels like to be trimmed from the herd cause my wallet isn't big enough. It don't feel good. And I wonder if there might just be a better way of trimmin' the herd down.

To me...it's a simple matter. When the corral is full...you ain't got no choice but to close the gate. So folks who don't get in one day...might get in the next...regardless of who they are or the size of their wallets.

To Walt families were the important thing...he wanted Disneyland to be a place where the young and the old could laugh and learn and play, together. Twernt just rich families he was talkin' about either...it was all families.

Yep...closin' the gate when the corral is full...is the only fair answer. Not raisin' prices to the point where folks can no longer afford to come... Disneyland was built for Mouseketeers...not Profiteers.

Wild Ol' Dan
    So It's better to have kids come thousands of miles for their one lifetime trip to DL and then be shut out of the park after their parents spent thousands of dollars just to get to Anaheim?

---------- Post added 05-23-2012 at 12:43 PM ----------

That would be a nightmare, people would start lining up at midnight the night before to get in the park the next morning.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
    So It's better to have kids come thousands of miles for their one lifetime trip to DL and then be shut out of the park after their parents spent thousands of dollars just to get to Anaheim?

---------- Post added 05-23-2012 at 12:43 PM ----------

That would be a nightmare, people would start lining up at midnight the night before to get in the park the next morning.
    Howdy Pard,

Well now, no...no...I don't recall sayin' it would be better to shut out anybody. But when the corral is full...the corral is full. Then there is no choice but to close the gate.

Do you think that it is any more fair to close the gates on poor or middle class families cause they can't afford ridiculous admission prices?

Disneyland's popularity has always been a bit of a nightmare. Too many people spoil the day at Disneyland for everyone...but I'm not exactly sure why you would consider folks linin' up early to get in the park to be a nightmare...

Others might say that chargin' ridiculous prices to keep poor and middle income families out is a nightmare. And I reckon I'd have to agree with them.

Wild Ol' Dan

<speechless>

Keep prices low, let the parks reach capacity on a regular basis, and if you're not at the front of the line, you're out of luck? I can only imagine the impact that would have on out-of-town tourists.

Thats a great way to eliminate the hotels of the DLR.

Quote Originally Posted by lalolovesme View Post
    <speechless>

Keep prices low, let the parks reach capacity on a regular basis, and if you're not at the front of the line, you're out of luck? I can only imagine the impact that would have on out-of-town tourists.

Thats a great way to eliminate the hotels of the DLR.
    Howdy lalolovesme,

No...you could be 50,000 plus folks back in line and still be in "luck" regardless if you are from outta town or not.

And, why do you think that those folks stayin' at a Disneyland Resort Hotel would somehow be out of luck? They can get in line just like other folks can...maybe earlier on one of them early admission days they have for 'em...

The point is, it wont be just the rich that are in that line...it will be for poor folks, middle income folks, and rich folks...just like Walt Disney planned it in the first place.

Walt Disney....remember him?

To Walt, families were the important thing...he wanted Disneyland to be a place where the young and the old could laugh and learn and play, together. Twernt just rich families he was talkin' about either...it was all families.

Wild Ol' Dan
    Last edited by Wild Ol' Dan; 05-23-2012 at 01:18 PM.

• Vidia's Minion

It's been a few days since Disney announced this, and I am still

If you are like me, and are a true Disney lover, you might have Disney themed items at home, in your office, in/on your car, etc. My Christmas tree is even Disney themed and I am sure I am not the only one.

Last years increase was tough to swallow, but I still managed to get passes for the family. We go up an average of 6-10 times a year and we spend money. This new increase makes it absolutely impossible to renew our passes. I don't even have the desire to pay for a day pass because of Disney's decision. Is it now only possible for those individuals who have certain income tax bracket to be able to "experience the magic"? The Disney "business plan" smells a bit prejudicial to me.

I am so angry about this that I have been considered boxing up all the Disney stuff I have accumulated over the years, get a new Christmas tree, and turn my back on Disney....I am not the only one who feels this way....am I?

DisneyDancer while the price increase sucks on the ole wallet you can still afford it, maybe not every year. Start saving now for the new price and you can do it maybe every other year that way you don't lose out on Disney all together.

I think Disney's bubble is ready to pop and this is the tipping point.

This is what I see happening. The next say two years attendance will drop to the point there is going to be a panic in Anaheim and Burbank. They won't lower prices or remove monthly payments plans. I see them offering two separate prices. If you pay all at once you get a discount, you do monthly you are going to pay more. Basically financing is going to come into play, which will also make money.

For me I bought another pass before the price increase that happened and I did the one time payment. After that pass expires I am looking to call it an end to Disney, starting to get a little over budget. I noticed yesterday on the Disney Facebook pages people are complaining about price hikes. People get use to change but if it affects there wallet it will change their mind. Look when gas prices go up people tend to only drive to places they need too like their jobs, picking up their kids, or just more cautious on their driving habits. Some people will even drive further away just to save $.10 a gallon.

• Disneyland's the best!

Yeah, I think that after really thinking it over, I think many see just shutting the gates a horrible idea. What they need to do is just trim the APs. Make them a little pricier, and don't hike one day tickets as much, so that way, the out-of-town guest has the same chance as the in-town guest. Also, maybe they should maintain a ratio? 50/50 minimum? Hopper ticket holders would have to be at least 50% of the park's current attendance or APs would be shut out until they could get the ratio back up.

And I can't say enough that Disneyland needs to just trash the Premium AP.

Also, why are we assuming that Disney is hiking ticket prices for admission control purposes? It seems to me as if this is 99% based on paying for all the new things and having better quality entertainment (which equals higher prices). If they just wanted to control admission they would either a) only raise AP prices drastically or b) raise prices MUCH higher than this.
    It's easy enough to be pleasant
    when life hums along like a song.
    But the man worth while
    is the man who can smile
    when everything goes dead wrong.

I'm surprised that people are concerned with us ignoring an average family who can't afford passes. It's almost like this is a crime against humanity. Many people can live comfortably and happily without going to Disneyland. There are much much more important things to average families than going to Disneyland.

Judging prices on products and services is always monitored. If the price is too high, they can adjust accordingly. This isn't the end of the world.
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Wild Ol' Dan View Post
    Howdy lalolovesme,

Walt Disney....remember him?

To Walt, families were the important thing...he wanted Disneyland to be a place where the young and the old could laugh and learn and play, together. Twernt just rich families he was talkin' about either...it was all families.
    Wild Ol' Dan
    You're right, he did think families spending the day together were the important thing. Can you only imagine what he would think about the hundreds of thousands of people just "hanging out" in his park like a mall? What would he say about the Gumball Rally people, MiceChat Sunday meets, pin traders, Fantasmic/fireworks all day campers, Friday night AP "swing by's", etc, etc.

Personally, I don't find the families spending the day together to be a problem, it is what has filled the park that has made it less enjoyable for those families that has fundamentally changed the dynamic of the park. What used to be a magical place filled with wide-eyed excitement and enthusiasm (even as recently as the 90's when I worked there) has now become an almost unrecognizable crowded sea of angry, entitled, and sadly bored wanderers.

Save the park. End all AP's.

(And I have a premium AP)

Page 43 of 53 FirstFirst ... 3340414243444546 ... LastLast