Page 50 of 53 FirstFirst ... 254047484950515253 LastLast

• My Children's Father

Re: Disneyland Resort Ticket Price Increase (Merged) Discussion

Wow. I just finished reading all 49 pages. Do our high schools still teach Economics, Market theory, that sort of thing? It seems a lot of people do not understand (or appreciate) what Disney has done.

Personally, I fully intend to purchase APs in a couple of months for myself and my three kids. We have not been to the park in over two years (we usually take a two year break between AP years). We won't be able to go quite as much (my income has stagnated as much as anyone's), but hey, I am so grateful to live close enough and still be able to afford to go once or twice per month. I hope its worth it. I think it will be.
    "She's taking everything. She's taking the house, she's taking the kid, she's taking the dog. IT'S NOT EVEN HER DOG. IT'S MY DOG! SHE'S TAKING . . . MY DOG!"
    - Ron Livingston, "Band of Brothers"

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by WorldDisney View Post
    ^^Well to be fair dont you get a $20 discount if you renew? I mean yeah its not a lot, but it is something!
    I know it is.....but....I'm just saying reward those who eat at the parks/buy things...because at least for me they lost someone who used to say its ok I'll just pay the 10 bucks and spend 30 bucks in a day for 3 meals....no more of that.

I may get a snack there but I'm for sure going out of parks as much as I can to pay the same price but get more food....or pay less and get about the same amount.

I think they should at least TRY to keep people in the parks more because why lose ANY money when you don't have to

• Elven Queen of Caffeine

Quote Originally Posted by JerrodDRagon View Post
    I know it is.....but....I'm just saying reward those who eat at the parks/buy things...because at least for me they lost someone who used to say its ok I'll just pay the 10 bucks and spend 30 bucks in a day for 3 meals....no more of that.
    Well, to be fair, you do get a 15% discount on (most) food and a 20% discount on merch if you have a PAP...so in a way thats a reward for buying stuff in the parks.

This whole thing has been blown out of proportion IMO. I agree the price increase was too aggressive - they could have spread it out over a few years and it wouldn't have garnered this reaction. But overall I'm not bothered...I dunno at $650/year for the PAP thats $12.50/week which is less money (and better entertainment) than going to the movies. Sounds reasonable to me... ::ducks and runs::

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

^not everyone goes THAT much....I go....about ten times a year I would say for the most part, which would come out to about 65 bucks a trip....50 with parking taken out....then food

Like most I'm just going to get a lower pass...heck I don't even know if I'll need one that has summer days next year since I don't think anything HUGE will open for the next two years.....the biggest thing I see coming is a show...which I can watch online for free

Quote Originally Posted by brenden View Post
    Totally agree. I've recently dropped $385 for a show that's not until October. $650 for a year's worth of Disneyland is still a deal, no matter how you slice it.
    lol L-U-V MADONNA!

Quote Originally Posted by BasilofBakerStreet View Post
    I think many are under the assumption that Disney wants to limit the crowd, which I don't think is the case. Bob Iger mentioned how the last quarter Disneyland had a jump in attendance and how hotels filled up. He believes now it has become a multi day destination that Disney set out 10 years ago to achieve.

Its simple supply and demand. People are willing to pay even with the price hike in previous years. Now Disney may have jumped too soon with the price hike that seems people may just call it quits. Reading MC and other sites people renewing or bought passes stating it will be the last year. Speaking to a CM on the phone she mention that it had been a long day for her. We were talking about the prices and she said that she has never seen so many people call in before a price increase. So I bought another pass but I do not see myself renewing with the new prices. Unless I get a lot of Disney gift cards for Christmas.

If anyone wants to voice their concern in person with some suits I'm sure you can find them in the park on Monday...just saying.
    I completely agree with this. I find it hard to believe that the suits actually want to decrease their attendance numbers and are concerned about how much time everyone spends waiting in line. I think they realize they have created a monster with the APs because they crowd the parks and don't fill up the hotels. They also don't buy a lot of food or souvenirs. But I think they see a win-win situation with the recent price increases. I see only three things happening at this point: (1) Those who can no longer afford to purchase APs in one lump sum will then buy day tickets whenever they visit paying way more than an AP would cost over a period of time (more $$$$ for Disney), (2) Those that can afford the APs will continue to buy them at the increased prices (again, $$$$ for Disney) and finally (3) People will spend their vacation dollars elsewhere (a Disney Break I have seen it called in other posts and a damn good idea!). I think Disney is so confident that people will not be able to stay away that they can't fathom that choice #3 will happen. I think they are wrong and I think we will see it in about 12-14 months. I think with everything that has happened with the economy in the last 4-5 years that people are fed up. It's hard not to get angry with something like this when you can turn on the TV or open a magazine and see how the people at the top of these companies live so luxuriously.

"Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money." - Walt Disney

Last edited by Kym; 05-29-2012 at 08:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kym View Post
    "Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money." - Walt Disney

I love this. Everyone in the later posts has been saying that Disney is a "Luxury". Why would anyone think this is okay? I would get so sad when my friends into their 20's and 30's said they had never been to Disneyland because their family couldn't afford to go. Didn't you? The haves and the have nots, and some think this is perfectly okay. That is very sad.

And I know that the term is being used in comparison to everyday needs. Just because it's a luxury, doesn't mean that it should be more and more impossible for those with limited means to be able to go. I can go, but I want many people to be able to too!.. I guess I am in general, too hopeful and optomistic, which is difficult when you also believe in common sense and being realistic. lol!
    Last edited by D23Divinity; 05-29-2012 at 08:47 PM.

There's a huge difference between an adult who has never been because their family could never afford to visit even once, vs. someone who wasn't able to have premium APs continuously through their life.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by JerrodDRagon View Post

I may get a snack there but I'm for sure going out of parks as much as I can to pay the same price but get more food....or pay less and get about the same amount.

I think they should at least TRY to keep people in the parks more because why lose ANY money when you don't have to
    But again, the other poster said it, you DO get a reward when you eat and shop there, a discount! Nearly everything from what I been told minus alcohol (big BOO on this btw lol). But everything else there is a discount of SOME kind right?

Look, believe it or not, I'm on YOUR side about this, I am! I agree that Disney probably was too aggressive with the price hikes and I cant blame people for being upset about it!

BUT, that said, I'm sorry, its still an amazing deal, period! If anyone buys the lower passes and just go 3-4 times, they have paid it off! If you buy the higher passes and go 5-6 times, again, its paid off! You said you go 10 times a year! That means ANY pass you bought in the past you have easily more than used it to get your money worth out of it and THEN some because you got discounts on food and merchandise to boot!

And I'm a TDR vetern! Not only are their passes MORE expensive and been that way for litterally decades now, do you know what 'bonuses' you get with it? Nothing! Nada, zilch, zero! No discounts, free parking, early entry, special events, NOTHING!!!!!!!!!!! All you get is the priveledge to enter the parks any time of the year, thats it! Everything else you are treated like the other customer in the place. And believe it or not, those passes sell like hotcakes regardless! Disney KNOWS that and they will KEEP buying them regardless, even if its just to get them in, because end of the day, thats ALL they care about! They dont need any other reason to buy them or to go for that matter.

As for America, if people think its too much, fine, its too much and send Disney a message and don't renew! I KNOW I'm going to hear it lol, but I am VERY adamant about this! I hear complaints, complaints, complaints, complaints, about Disney daily on boards like this and yet most of them will renew anyway. Disney will keep hiking the prices as long as their customer base doesnt fall off too much.

NOW, maybe it will REALLY happen! Maybe there will be enough people who CLAIM they are not going to renew now will do it and HOPEFULLY it will be enough of them to give Disney pause and to make a turnaround of some kind.

But I dont see it to be honest with you! I really dont! People have been going to these parks and buying passes for decades now! They are too addicted and believe me most of the people now saying they just cant do it will miraculously figure something out! They will probably do lower passes (which that isnt horrible people lol) or will go one less trip than before...but they will still go! We'll see I guess!

---------- Post added 05-30-2012 at 01:14 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by lalolovesme View Post
    There's a huge difference between an adult who has never been because their family could never afford to visit even once, vs. someone who wasn't able to have premium APs continuously through their life.
    Yeah this! I feel worse for the family who cant go ONCE in their life because of the higher costs vs the people who simply cant afford to get the most expensive pass in the place and go 30 times a year like they been the last decade! THOSE people will still be able to go and believe me will still go regularly. They will simply have to adjust to having a different pass, which last time I checked, is not the end of the world, espeically if you can still go to a theme park once a month!

But the families who see something like Disneyland or ANY place that is, not just a theme park, as a once in a life time chance and cant do it, that breaks my heart! But I really hope that for those families they simply put more away and just go even if its later. But I also think if you never been to a Disney theme park and you are saving thousands to go, a lot of people question is it even worth it and just decide its not and go somewhere else for lesser money. Some people will argue its STILL worth it but others here may disagree! But if you never been and all you are seeing are these HUGE fees just to go to a theme park, then I cant blame people for questioning it.

And there are better (and cheaper) places to go anyway! End of the day, its really a personal decision.

I agree totally.. Everything isn't just black and white. But, ALL ticket prices did and do go up! lol

• Tourist

Exactly.

I realize that times change, and the world now is a lot different that when I was growing up. But I am amazed when I read posts from teenagers who complain that their parents won't be able to renew their APs.

• Sock Puppet

I need to know.. when I renew mypremium pass in october, do I renew with last years pass price, orthe new price of the pass?? I had this discussion with my mom, wellmore like an argument because she had read in the oc register aboutwhat this one person said about her pass.. ..anyhow soo how is thisnew pass increase going to work for those that need to renew soon orthis year?

• Still Dizzy

Quote Originally Posted by Poisonedapples View Post
    I need to know.. when I renew mypremium pass in october, do I renew with last years pass price, orthe new price of the pass?? I had this discussion with my mom, wellmore like an argument because she had read in the oc register aboutwhat this one person said about her pass.. ..anyhow soo how is thisnew pass increase going to work for those that need to renew soon orthis year?
    You will be paying the NEW price for your pass (minus your renewal discount). The only people who get to squeak in with the old prices with a renewal are those people whose passes expire within 60 days of the price increase. October is outside the window of the grace period.

• Sock Puppet

did any premium pass holders have to renew yet since the price increase!?? if so can you PM me please !! i got some major questions for ya! thanks

---------- Post added 05-30-2012 at 11:39 AM ----------

yes i new about the increase window and october is after...

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by D23Divinity View Post
    I love this. Everyone in the later posts has been saying that Disney is a "Luxury". Why would anyone think this is okay? I would get so sad when my friends into their 20's and 30's said they had never been to Disneyland because their family couldn't afford to go. Didn't you? The haves and the have nots, and some think this is perfectly okay. That is very sad.

And I know that the term is being used in comparison to everyday needs. Just because it's a luxury, doesn't mean that it should be more and more impossible for those with limited means to be able to go. I can go, but I want many people to be able to too!.. I guess I am in general, too hopeful and optomistic, which is difficult when you also believe in common sense and being realistic. lol!
    You're comparing apples (never getting to go to Disneyland) with oranges (not being able to go as much as you want, year after year after year)

See below...

Waiting for Godot Micechat.com