Page 51 of 53 FirstFirst ... 2641484950515253 LastLast

Re: Disneyland Resort Ticket Price Increase (Merged) Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by D23Divinity View Post
    I love this. Everyone in the later posts has been saying that Disney is a "Luxury". Why would anyone think this is okay? I would get so sad when my friends into their 20's and 30's said they had never been to Disneyland because their family couldn't afford to go. Didn't you? The haves and the have nots, and some think this is perfectly okay. That is very sad.

And I know that the term is being used in comparison to everyday needs. Just because it's a luxury, doesn't mean that it should be more and more impossible for those with limited means to be able to go. I can go, but I want many people to be able to too!.. I guess I am in general, too hopeful and optomistic, which is difficult when you also believe in common sense and being realistic. lol!
    Quote Originally Posted by D23Divinity View Post
    I agree totally.. Everything isn't just black and white. But, ALL ticket prices did and do go up! lol
    All prices did and do go up.

Yes, the gap between the have's and have not's is sad. Unfortunately, this means that a lot of people don't get to do a lot of things. All we can do is hope for the best for everyone and be thankful that some people are being financially responsible as opposed to going to bed hungry or falling behind on their rent because they set that money aside to go to Disneyland. I cringed when I've been to other websites and someone is saying that they are worried their annual pass will be canceled because they didn't have any money at all in their account the day Disney was supposed to pull payment (and unfortunately, there was a time I saw this regularly from many people so I stopped visiting those sites). I wonder if they've had enough to eat, if all their utilities are still on, if there are creditors after them and I wish they could go back in time and wait before buying that pass.
    Last edited by Dreamer10; 05-30-2012 at 04:36 PM. Reason: grammar

• My Children's Father

One relevant thing I have not seen posted in this thread is the fact (legend?) that Walt paid someone (USC?) to determine where the population center of Southern California would be in the future, so as to better locate his park to serve the local population. Last I heard, the current population center is located just a few miles from Disneyland. So from the beginning, the locals were being given special treatment. And there were expectations that the locals would come more frequently than once a year.
    "She's taking everything. She's taking the house, she's taking the kid, she's taking the dog. IT'S NOT EVEN HER DOG. IT'S MY DOG! SHE'S TAKING . . . MY DOG!"
    - Ron Livingston, "Band of Brothers"

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by Giant Panda View Post
    One relevant thing I have not seen posted in this thread is the fact (legend?) that Walt paid someone (USC?) to determine where the population center of Southern California would be in the future, so as to better locate his park to serve the local population. Last I heard, the current population center is located just a few miles from Disneyland. So from the beginning, the locals were being given special treatment. And there were expectations that the locals would come more frequently than once a year.
    Walt did hire a consultant to study park locations.. and the guy went on to found a company.. which Walt hired again.. when planning his other park projects, including WDW.

But the decision isn't based on 'population center' but other major factors too..

But to the claim of 'locals were being given special treatment'... DL was opened with the idea that the target audience was SoCal - period. There was no affordable air transportation at the time, etc. DL was situated along the new I-4 interstate to be highly accessible to motor tourists.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• Gawrsh!

Well, i'm willing to take the blame for the price increase. You see i've been an AP for years, I lived in northern Cal and would visit the resort a total of 4 weeks a year. Then I moved local and my first year I did 87 days in the parks. Now I go to the park at least 26 times a year (About once every other weekend.).

So, you see it's my fault cause even reduced to 26 times a year when they sell me an AP for $500 they are still losing $3166. Yes that's a one day park-hopper and parking. And i should mention that doesn't include the discounted food and clothing, pins and hats ... savings on all purchases.

I still think that Disneyland has been keeping it's prices down below market value.
    Sure, i'd like to pay less..... for everything in life, but it I don't begrudge my Happy Place to have a little bit more of the cash I would spend there anyway.
    The weather is so nice today. I think i'll go to Disneyland!

• Very Helpful Old Feller

Well, reckon my heart's in Texas but right now I live down N'Olins way...

Howdy Pards,

Well, course, I'm just a grizzled ol' feller, but I've always kinda thought that hopes and wishes and dreams and happiness and Disneyland were not things made exclusively for the rich...a "luxury" beyond the reach of say, Snow White, or Cinderella, or shucks, even that little farm boy from Missouri...what was his name again? Oh yes...Walt Disney.

When Walt built the place...he had no idea how popular it was gonna be. Seems all kinds of folks were listenin' to his tales about hopes and dreams and wishin' on a star and such. Why, they were comin' not just from Southern California...folks were gettin' in their car and travelin' the whole length of Route 66 just to visit that magical place Walt was tellin' 'em about.

Afterall how often does a family from way up thar in Michigan get to ride a riverboat from back in Davy Crockett's day...or go on a jungle cruise...or fly off to Neverland in a pirate ship?

Walt didn't figure the imagination was somethin' just for the very rich...a luxury out of the reach of regular people. Nope. He kinda thought of the imagination, hopes, and dreams as somethin' that could make ALL folks happy. And that's what he was in business to do...make folks happy.

Nope, I reckon Walt Disney never worshiped money the way some folks do. He looked at it as a necessary evil...somethin' he needed to finance his next enthusiasm...his next dream. So, he wasn't out to squeeze every nickel outta folks...he was havin' too much fun.

It's no secret that he loved wanderin' around the park and watchin' folks havin' fun together. That's what he was focused on...cause their happiness brought him happiness.

Will today's Disney management ever focus on people instead of money like Walt used to? Taint likely. Today's Disney management doesn't much care about "guests" at the parks at all...they care about another kinda feller entirely...a feller called a stockholder.

Making money for themselves and for their stockholders is the onliest thing they know in life. To them Disney is a cold, hard business...and nothing more.

I reckon you could say the heart is gone now.

Oh, many of us guests still love the park...still love all the things Walt gave us...but that love is a one way thing. Loyal Disney guests have given their love to the park for years...but today's Disney management ain't givin' nothin' back to nobody...except stockholders.

Yep, they are gettin' cold, hard cash.

Us old timers remember the image the Walt Disney company used to have...and we miss it.

But, I still think Walt was right...dreams and hopes and wishes...they're not just for rich kids...they are for ALL of us...and Disneyland should be for all of us too. Not just for the very rich.

Adios for now. Talk to ya on down the trail.

Wild Ol' Dan
    Last edited by Wild Ol' Dan; 06-01-2012 at 03:01 PM.
    "I can see the cattle grazin' o'er the hills at early morn…
    I can see the campfires smokin’ at the breaking of the dawn,
    I can hear the bronco's neighin', I can hear the cowboys sing,
    I'd like to be in Texas for the Round-up in the Spring."

• Pilot EdForceOne

The WDW version of the price increase came out yesterday...

Walt Disney World Resort Ticket Prices (2012) « Disney Parks Blog
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• Off to Neverland

Quote Originally Posted by KB24 View Post
    If they wanted to herd out the APs the solution is very simple, do away with the monthly payment option.[COLOR="#8b0000"]

I've been saying that since it started! Freakin' joke!

They were pushing me as it was. Now I for sure, sadly, won't be renewing.

Quote Originally Posted by Wild Ol' Dan View Post
    Oh, many of us guests still love the park...still love all the things Walt gave us...but that love is a one way thing. Loyal Disney guests have given their love to the park for years...but today's Disney management ain't givin' nothin' back to nobody...except stockholders.

Yep, they are gettin' cold, hard cash.
    Any company's first obligation is to make its owners money; that's the function of a company. A public coorperation, like Disney, even more so. It would be illegal for Disney management to intentionally not maximize stockholder returns. Stockholders are stockholders because they want to get returns on their capital investments.

I'm sorry you find capitalism somehow distasteful. But that's not Disney management's concern. Disney management answers to its stockholders. They own the company, afterall. Customers are the revenue source. The stockholders are the owners.

All the discussion on pricing like "what is it worth" or "the expansion adds this value" or "cheap values make it treated cheaply" or "it needs to be affordable for everyone" or "it's not what Walt would do" or "thinning the crowds is worth it", etc, etc, etc. are all besides the point. The pricing system has one objective: maximize the profits. If it's priced too low Disney leaves money on the table, if it's priced too high then too many people decide not to buy. It's micro-econ folks.
    Last edited by HeavyAaron; 06-03-2012 at 01:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyAaron View Post
    Any company's first obligation is to make its owners money; that's the function of a company. A public coorperation, like Disney, even more so. It would be illegal for Disney management to intentionally not maximize stockholder returns. Stockholders are stockholders because they want to get returns on their capital investments.

I'm sorry you find capitalism somehow distasteful. But that's not Disney management's concern. Disney management answers to its stockholders. They own the company, afterall. Customers are the revenue source. The stockholders are the owners.

All the discussion on pricing like "what is it worth" or "the expansion adds this value" or "cheap values make it treated cheaply" or "it needs to be affordable for everyone" or "it's not what Walt would do" or "thinning the crowds is worth it", etc, etc, etc. are all besides the point. The pricing system has one objective: maximize the profits. If it's priced too low Disney leaves money on the table, if it's priced too high then too many people decide not to buy. It's micro-econ folks.
    All quite true. Disney was listed on the New York Stock Exchange in November 1957, a decision made by Walt and Roy. Prior to that, they sold Disney stock privately as a means to stay out of debt and finance future projects. Walt and Roy new what they were getting into. There are several of privately held, family owned companies out there that are extremely successful (Mars Candy, S.C. Johnson, Bechtel Engineering). Walt and Roy could have kept the company private. The fact that they didn't shows what direction the company needed to go to continue to exist and thrive in the future.

All that being said. I'm a NorCal AP holder who has bailed out of the AP program because of the cost. I'll grab some parkhoppers when the time comes to plan a trip. Hopefully there will be parkhopper discount programs in the future. Thats the direction I'm heading.
    Writing about all things Disney, a couple of paragraphs at a time

http://disneylandtraveler.blogspot.com/

75,000+ page views and counting.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyAaron View Post

What hard core “capitalists” often ignore is that, while the function of a company is to make a profit for their investors, the best way to do that is to provide the products that their customers want and provide it at a price they are willing to pay. If you piss off your customers, by whatever means (cheapening the product, reducing quality, charging more than customers feel the value warrants, etc.), they will eventually NOT maximize the stockholders returns.

Disney has built their empire based on quality, uniqueness and value. They have built a strong fan base that would be hard to destroy, but, if the corporate focus becomes based on the bottom line (make stockholders happy) at the expense of the quality, uniqueness and value, their customer base will shrink and they will eventually make less as a result (NOT making their stockholders happy).

Eisner had that attitude in the late 90’s, focusing on cutbacks, shortcuts, closings and increased prices to cover the reduced attendance, resulting in Disneyland suffering a lot of damage that eventually had to be repaired. The same with DCA’s initial concept and design, again making customers unhappy, eventually resulting in Disney having to invest over a $billion to correct the shortsighted mistakes.

Capitalism is worthwhile when handled CORRECTLY. But if it is mismanaged, it can actually be the cause of serious economic failures.

Quote Originally Posted by bfdf55 View Post
    What hard core “capitalists” often ignore is that, while the function of a company is to make a profit for their investors, the best way to do that is to provide the products that their customers want and provide it at a price they are willing to pay. If you piss off your customers, by whatever means (cheapening the product, reducing quality, charging more than customers feel the value warrants, etc.), they will eventually NOT maximize the stockholders returns.

Disney has built their empire based on quality, uniqueness and value. They have built a strong fan base that would be hard to destroy, but, if the corporate focus becomes based on the bottom line (make stockholders happy) at the expense of the quality, uniqueness and value, their customer base will shrink and they will eventually make less as a result (NOT making their stockholders happy).

Eisner had that attitude in the late 90’s, focusing on cutbacks, shortcuts, closings and increased prices to cover the reduced attendance, resulting in Disneyland suffering a lot of damage that eventually had to be repaired. The same with DCA’s initial concept and design, again making customers unhappy, eventually resulting in Disney having to invest over a $billion to correct the shortsighted mistakes.

Capitalism is worthwhile when handled CORRECTLY. But if it is mismanaged, it can actually be the cause of serious economic failures.
    But is Disney being mismanaged? Increasing prices does not make a company mismanaged. If people react in a negative way and dont pay the new higher prices, then other companies they will reduce to them to a point where people will pay and the company can still make a profit.

• Disney friends are #1

Why is it that when Disney has a "problem", the solution is always to raise prices. Apparently the passholders were the problem this time as they were the hardest hit by the increases. And I thought I was a "guest". If I treated the guests who come to my home the way Disney treats their guests (by emptying their wallets), I'd never get anyone to come to my house ever again!
    One Special Friend is All it Takes to Get You Through a Bad Day. And One Good One is Better Than a Dozen Casual Ones

Looks like about 90% of the posters here failed basic economics. Record attendance at Disneyland: do they have any choice but to raise prices? What do you think would happen if they lowered prices right now? Do you think the parks would get less crowded if they lowered prices, or kept them the same, with the imminent opening of Cars Land?

Or do you think that record attendance at this point in time (DCA relaunch) = Disney has no choice but to raise prices?

If not... what is your genius idea to get an optimal guest population? Specifics please. Prices on AP's, or eliminate them completely, etc.? Specifics, not rants.

Me: I think they didn't raise prices enough. Yes it's a recession... for the US economy generally. But if Disneyland is uncomfortably crowded on a regular basis, in this type of economy, with the imminent relaunch of DCA... I can only conclude that their prices are too low currently and they need to raise their prices massively. Probably more so than they did.

Quote Originally Posted by El Bandolero View Post
    Looks like about 90% of the posters here failed basic economics. Record attendance at Disneyland: do they have any choice but to raise prices? What do you think would happen if they lowered prices right now? Do you think the parks would get less crowded if they lowered prices, or kept them the same, with the imminent opening of Cars Land?

Or do you think that record attendance at this point in time (DCA relaunch) = Disney has no choice but to raise prices?

If not... what is your genius idea to get an optimal guest population? Specifics please. Prices on AP's, or eliminate them completely, etc.? Specifics, not rants.

Me: I think they didn't raise prices enough. Yes it's a recession... for the US economy generally. But if Disneyland is uncomfortably crowded on a regular basis, in this type of economy, with the imminent relaunch of DCA... I can only conclude that their prices are too low currently and they need to raise their prices massively. Probably more so than they did.
    So that's the solution to crowd control? Raise the prices so the people who could barely afford it as was can't get in? Who cares, at least they got rid of the people that don't have any money anyway.. I dunno, I don't really go for that. I demand a better solution. And I feel I don't need to give specifics, that's not my job and I don't get paid millions to come up with these specifics. Make the corporate brains come up with the specifics, it's their job and what they are paid to do. It's their job to come up with the plan, and keep the stockholders, and the customer (yes, even the poor ones) satisfied.
    FAT KIDS UNITE!
    (Anyone can be a Fat Kid! You love food?, you're in!)

"Curiosity killed the cat, you know.." "I know!"

• I am number 4 of 999

Quote Originally Posted by SingingAngel7242 View Post
    I've been saying that since it started! Freakin' joke! They were pushing me as it was. Now I for sure, sadly, won't be renewing.
    I'm sorry, why aren't you renewing? Because you can't afford to make a lump sum payment, and you don't approve of the payment plan, you'd rather just not have an annual pass? Really?
    It's actually "Cars Land", not "Carsland".