Page 53 of 53 FirstFirst ... 3284350515253

• Pilot EdForceOne

Re: Disneyland Resort Ticket Price Increase (Merged) Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by BrodyDanger View Post
    "Everyone else" does NOT charge interest on payment plans. There's a big difference between a loan and a payment plan. A loan is generally provided by a party that doesn't make any money off of the actual purchase you make with the loaned money. Disney makes their money off the sale of APs. Having a payment plan encourages and increases the sale of those APs. It's no different than when an appliance retailer offers 0% interest for a year or any other number of retailers that offer payment plans or interest free financing
    It is different business. The retailer isn't giving you the free financing, they are signing you up with a 3rd party who is promising you a zero interest loan predicated on you making on-time payments. You will go through a credit check, etc. If you don't pay on time, accumulated interest is charged.. and the 3rd party bank is banking on a number of people not paying on-time and making their money. The retailer is also probably paying a bit of a stipend per transaction. The '6m same as cash' deals are loans. Disney is not a loan - it's not going through a bank or 3rd party. It's simply deferred payments. It's layaway but you get the goods up front. Or a monthly membership. But normally when you pay monthly instead of a bulk payment.. you pay more. Normally as incentive to get people to pay up front and reducing the risk for the company that the person will default or drop out early.

Disney is a sweetheart deal... just pay the same as you would be anyways, and just pay a fraction each month with no increased cost. It's a great upsell and Disney is taking all the risk.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    It is different business. The retailer isn't giving you the free financing, they are signing you up with a 3rd party who is promising you a zero interest loan predicated on you making on-time payments. You will go through a credit check, etc. If you don't pay on time, accumulated interest is charged.. and the 3rd party bank is banking on a number of people not paying on-time and making their money. The retailer is also probably paying a bit of a stipend per transaction. The '6m same as cash' deals are loans. Disney is not a loan - it's not going through a bank or 3rd party. It's simply deferred payments. It's layaway but you get the goods up front. Or a monthly membership. But normally when you pay monthly instead of a bulk payment.. you pay more. Normally as incentive to get people to pay up front and reducing the risk for the company that the person will default or drop out early.

Disney is a sweetheart deal... just pay the same as you would be anyways, and just pay a fraction each month with no increased cost. It's a great upsell and Disney is taking all the risk.
    Different business, same reason for the offer though. The backing may be different, but the reason for offering zero interest is sales... for all parties involved. The creditor's risk is calculated and they also need you to buy something if they hope to gain financially. Capital One doesn't make any money when people don't buy anything with their cards.

The reason Disney doesn't need a 3rd party is that there is really nothing to back. Though Disney is taking all the risk, really... how much "risk" are we talking about? In the case of a creditor loaning you money for an appliance, once the money is transferred and that appliance is in your home, they are out the money until you pay them back. The risk is pretty cut and dry. You either pay them back or you don't and they really don't have a lot of recourse if you don't. Aside from the incurred cost of one additional guest in the park, what is Disney out of up front? They also have the ability to revoke your AP at anytime for non-payment. Really seems like a low risk, high reward scenario. I'm not surprised at all that they opened the payment plan up to the rest of California.

Anyways, my main point was that no... not everybody charges interest. I found the thought that Disney is the only one doing something like this to be inaccurate. It was also coupled with the assertion that some utilizing the payment plans belonged to the "false sense of entitlement", "something for nothing" segment of society... when it totally doesn't apply here. It's not like Disneyland Annual Passes are subsidized by the government. Those utilizing the payment plan are still paying for the entire amount of the purchase cost.
    Last edited by BrodyDanger; 06-16-2012 at 02:27 PM.

Re: Disneyland Premium Annual Pass now $649! Up a $150 from before!

Well, I think it's just wrong that not only are they increasing the price of the PAP so much, because these are probably the people who spend the most. The SC passes are allowed to make monthly payments, so it breaks down a lot easier, and since they go a lot more, they probably don't buy something every time, but the out-of-state tourists probably do. If we decide to keep our passes - and I'm still leaning toward not because of the high increase - then we have decided we will just spend $300 less in food and merchandise at the park. It has to balance out somewhere, and if it means buying less "toys", then so be it. After all, how many t-shirts and hats do you really need? Where else are you going to wear the silly hats anyway? I think maybe people will be spending a lot less on merchandise if they pay this much money to renew their passes.....

Quote Originally Posted by Joannefm2 View Post
    It has to balance out somewhere, and if it means buying less "toys", then so be it. After all, how many t-shirts and hats do you really need? Where else are you going to wear the silly hats anyway? I think maybe people will be spending a lot less on merchandise if they pay this much money to renew their passes.....
    I think you're right, people will be spending less and my guess is that they are also more likely to eat outside of the park and/or bring their own food and use the picnic area. Regardless of whether or not we think the price increases are justified or not, ultimately the consumer decides how they want to spend their own money and in this economy it is very likely that consumers want to save as much as they can.

•   
      MiceChat Administrator
    • Working Late

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Joannefm2 View Post
    Well, I think it's just wrong that not only are they increasing the price of the PAP so much, because these are probably the people who spend the most. The SC passes are allowed to make monthly payments, so it breaks down a lot easier, and since they go a lot more, they probably don't buy something every time, but the out-of-state tourists probably do. If we decide to keep our passes - and I'm still leaning toward not because of the high increase - then we have decided we will just spend $300 less in food and merchandise at the park. It has to balance out somewhere, and if it means buying less "toys", then so be it. After all, how many t-shirts and hats do you really need? Where else are you going to wear the silly hats anyway? I think maybe people will be spending a lot less on merchandise if they pay this much money to renew their passes.....
    What do you mean by "since they go a lot more"? I am very sure that those paying for the higher level passes probobly take advantage of the extra days that they can go to the parks. I don't know if there is any evidence to support that the SoCal pass holders go more often..

• The Pumpkin King

Well, good thing I don't get the Premium Pass. Delux is perfect for me, seeing as I live an hour away from DLR. So I'm not that upset about the price going up. But then again I would mainly be going with my gf. So I guess the up'ed price mainly is a huge concern for certain people?

Oh and I agree that all this new addition to DCA should have been like this when it first opened
    Last edited by White Bones; 06-25-2012 at 10:45 AM.

• One More Day

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
    What do you mean by "since they go a lot more"? I am very sure that those paying for the higher level passes probobly take advantage of the extra days that they can go to the parks. I don't know if there is any evidence to support that the SoCal pass holders go more often..
    I think they do considering they always get to take advantage of the special events like fantasmic 20th, carsland preview etc. whereas I'm out of state and don't get to attend these events even though I have a deluxe pass.

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
    I think he's trying to say while many High Pass Holder might go alot....some of the lower pass holders go just as much...if not more and pay less because of where they live.

I'm still in not getting why they don't just make passes that let you go....say 12 times in one year for like 350-400 bucks..with a few black out days

Then for like 600 have a pass you can go when ever you want...or just heck make it where you can buy Park Hoopers and use them ANY days of that year (besides the major Holidays)

Page 53 of 53 FirstFirst ... 3284350515253