Page 6 of 53 FirstFirst ... 34567891631 ... LastLast

• Banned User

Re: Disneyland Ticket Price Increases

Quote Originally Posted by Juni View Post
    Why is everyone ignoring what this is doing to the average family who can't afford a pass?

How many kids are NEVER going to be able to experience Disneyland? I'm not looking forward to the day where 99.9% of people in attendance are passholders. Are they just trying to cater to the overseas tourists at this point?

I don't want to see a Disney where I never get to see that look of awe and excitement on people's faces of going to Disney for the first time. Or for their first time in a while.
    Agreed! This is the only thing that REALLY bothers me is the one day passes which is basically $90 now! Thats just insane for an average family of 4 that wants to take a trip to DL 1-3 times a year! I do feel really bad for them most of all.

And I think most people here are paying attention to the AP price because well, its a Disney site so most people here are hardcore fans who go more often and usually have an AP of some kind. If they dont now, they more than likely did at some point.

Personnally I think the AP price increases ARE still crazy though, bar none! A 30% increase in ONE year is nuts, period! That said, is it still a great value? OF COURSE it is!!

People who only see the price isnt measuring it by the daily value of it! If you go JUST once a month, you are only paying about $55 per visit...for two parks! If you go twice a month, that now is divided by half, to $27! You go more, thats even better! And thats the premium pass! The others are even a better deal at the end of the day IF you can take advantage of the passes even with the black out dates!

I can certainly understand the initial sticker shock, but long term value, an AP is still a great deal IF you use them. Now if you are buying top APs and go just a few times a year out of convience, then no, its not worth it. But even the Premium when you break it down all year is still less than $2 a day! I mean, yeah, you cant argue the amazing value you are getting!

That said I can understand others still being upset over it, but its been said, they now think they have a full day park with DCA and they want people to pay for it! In fact you can blame ALL of the wacky prices because of DCA basically. When DCA first opened, they opened a park that was NOT worth the same price of DL, not even close. Not only did they want a seperate admission with the same price they tried to get people to buy TWO seperate APs for both parks which was more absurd.

We all know what happened next: The park did not reach close to the expectations they wanted so instead of overselling it, they started UNDERSELLING the park basically making it free for all APers just adding it to the DL AP! That was the problem. They been giving away two parks for the price of one for the first 8 years or so! And people got spoiled and use to it. Now after spending over a billion dollars for it, they are now trying to make the APs a more closer price to its true value which should be expected!

But DCA was always the issue IMO. They NEVER lowered the one day price which put most people off and so they were instead trying to get people to buy the multi day and APs which most people only saw worth doing it along with DL. Now in 2012 they FINALLY think they have a hit on their hands and now that so many people have gotten use to doing the multi park and AP tickets they will continue paying...and I suspect most would!

But they arent stupid, they know DCA isnt out the woods yet or they would be offering seperate park APs, ie one for DL or one for DCA which TDR been offering for TDS for years now. The day that happens will tell you DCA can sustain itself!

But for now, the 2 park APs, even with the insane price increase is still a GREAT value! DCA will basically be a full day park now with another huge land and dont forget the amount of new shows that will be added alone! Remember people its NOT just CL that people are paying for. Its CL, BVS, nearly a dozen new shows AND extended hours to experience it all. You have to factor in every bit of what is being offered!

I still agree, the one day price is utterly ridiculous, period! The AP price, while it will definitely price a lot of people from buying them, its still a great value IF you can afford it! I know it sucks if people just cant buy them, but regardless its a good deal, even better now that DCA looks to be a park you can not only spend all day in, but a park you WANT to spend all day in! That was always the problem with it. But now its changing and Disney is making people pay for that change!

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pizzapants View Post
    A one day park hopper will be $125. Premium AP will be $649. Breaking it down in it's simplest form, the Premium AP technically pays for itself in 6 different day trips if you enter both parks.

Also, let's not forget that Disney is a company. The purpose of a company is to make money. They're not here to give their product away for free.
    Ohh the Irony....watch Tron and when they talk about how the business used to be about making people's living better..not just money.

I get it but my friends and I agree....WAY too high. Tickets used to be 66 bucks when 8 bucks was the minimum and now they are 87 but guess what most people aren't' making more money, gas, and food cost more.....just sad that not everyone can enjoy parks (a family of four it cost 400 bucks....800 bucks for 2 days...)

Also a question when do the prices increases take place?

• Buena Vista St. & Red Car

I guess it all depends on the person. I still feel the AP is worth the price and still remains a steal. I have a Premium and go multiple times a month...the pass really does pay for itself in 6-10 visits or so even looking at historic one day ticket prices. The discounts, special offers, and special events only add to the perk. I'm so lucky and fortunate to be able to go as often as I do and for me, the pass is definitely worth the price and pays for itself. I save my tips throughout the year to pay for my pass (among other things) because it's a luxury I enjoy but for me it's exactly that, a luxury. For all they're offering, I don't disagree with the AP price increase...it's honestly still a bargain for what you can do with the pass. What does upset me is the large increase in regular ticket prices...while us APers are some of more loyal customers and are definitely important to the Company (like I said, I feel having unlimited access to the two parks 365 days a year is definitely a steal for $600+), the regular ticket buyers are some of the largest spenders through and through, especially domestic and foreign tourist. It's sad to see these very important customers take a big hit. I guess if this is the breaking point for some, and I'm sure it is, I am sorry for the loss. It does suck but I can remember my dad telling how, even back in the 1950's, DL was a luxury they had to save up for. I guess I have his mentality and it's a luxury I enjoy so I save up all year to get my pass and I'm so glad I do. I do wonder why some are so shocked...the money they've pumping into both parks isn't going to pay for itself.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by JerrodDRagon View Post
    Also a question when do the prices increases take place?
    I read May 20th, this Sunday!

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

^thanks, will be telling my friends...buy tickets now if they plan on going in the summer.....

• Boise Mouse

Quote Originally Posted by Tinkbelle View Post
    Thanks for calling and confirming.

We haven't been to DLR since 2010 because of ticket prices. (We live in AZ and don't have AP's). We have talked about going this fall but have been on the fence about it. We now need to make a decision in the next 24hrs. to avoid more crazy increases. It's frustrating. My kids are growing up so fast and we'd love to have these memories with them while they are still young, but it is getting more and more difficult to justify spending what Disney is asking for tickets (and for park food, too!).
    We went to DLR in 2007, and WDW in 2010.....you cannot put a price on memories We bought four 6 day hoppers for our trip coming up in June at $251... and it will be well worth it. We don't live close either.... Boise to be exact. Jump over the fence Tinkbelle.... it will be worth it... IMO

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalFan View Post
    It does suck but I can remember my dad telling how, even back in the 1950's, DL was a luxury they had to save up for. I guess I have his mentality and it's a luxury I enjoy so I save up all year to get my pass and I'm so glad I do.

Great post. I totally agree with a lot of your points. Growing up in a relatively poor, single income household an hour away...Disneyland was still a special trip for us every couple of years. I don't know when it became a common thing for families of four to visit multiple times a year.

• 'Til DEATH do us part...

Az, or not as close to Disneyland as I'd like to be :(

I too am now questioning going again. As some have said, when the prices increase, 90% of people on here start talking about APs...what about us who don't have them? I have given up the idea of EVER having one (especially now) but even if my fiance and I wanted to go for 2 days it's now $400?!?!?!

I don't live in Ca and we try to make it once every two years, now, I don't know. We have to factor in Hotel, transportation, food AND then $400 TICKETS?!?! YIKES!!

We were going to go for our honeymoon, but between paying for the wedding and, you know, living on our own, buying the tickets tomorrow might not happen After that, it just gets more expensive.

I hoped to bring my future family here one day, but if this is going to be a yearly thing, I don't see that happening.

Again, I'm NOT referring to APs of any kind, only the one park and park hoppers.
    "We find it delightfully unlivable here in this ghostly retreat. Every room has wall-to-wall creeps, and hot and cold running chills. Shhh, listen!"
    -your host, your ghost host

Trips: 1992 1998 1999x2 2000 2007 2009 2011 2012 2014

Next Trip:
    ???

On Friday, October 14th, 2011, my boyfriend of 5 years proposed to me under the tunnel, right before the Court of Angels
    in Disneyland! Read my trip report about it here:http://micechat.com/forums/disneyland-resort/160167-dlr-mickeys-halloween-party-first-trip-report.html

Here is our honeymoon trip report from December 10th to the 15th 2012:http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...10th-15th.html

• The one, the only...

If the price increases in ALL categories were made to limit the number of people that will be visiting both parks this summer, I think they'll succeed. We are still iin an economic downturn that is causing a lot of families to have to cut corners.. I think both the one day and the AP prices are excessive. I love Disneyland and have enjoyed my times there, but when it comes down to how much you're spending for entertainment in total, I question it is a good economic choice.
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

• Progressive Disneylander

I suppose someone had to pay for the failure of "John Carter". Apparently, it's going to be us.

• When Will It Return?

This will not cut down on the number of APs. The only thing it will do is cause some Deluxe/Premium holders to downgrade their APs.

That will only just amplify what we're already starting to see - the most crowded days are the days when all APs are valid, with days when only Premium APs are valid being noticeably lighter.

If Disney really wanted to decrease the number of AP holders, they'd get rid of SoCal APs completely while keeping Deluxe & Premium AP's at their current price.

You gotta admit that a $649 Premium AP to Disneyland's 2 parks looks pretty ridiculous next to the $749 Premier AP good on both coasts.

"Who among you is wise and understanding? Let him show by his good behavior his deeds in the gentleness of wisdom." -- James 3:13

• and don't call me Shirley

It makes sense. They are anticipating a huge hit with the re-vamped DCA so raise prices to re-coup some of the money. Here's the rub: what if, once it opens, the overall consensus is that the new stuff looks nice, but there's only one really good new ride and not worth the price? Well, Disney gets to have their cake and eat it too: high AP prices thin out the finicky AP herd and then they can simply offer "special pricing" to bring people back for a day trip.

Besides, for them to feel a real hit, there would have to be a 50% drop in AP purchases in addition other ticket media sales drops. Doubt that will happen.

• Minion

In 1975, the "Deluxe 15" ticket book, which included general admission and 15 ride tickets, cost $7 for adults, $6.50 for juniors and $6 for children. $7 in 1975 is the equivalent of $29.94 today.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by k_peek_2000 View Post
    Anybody that is shocked by this obviously has not been following Disney the past few years. The price increases have become an annual thing. With a brand new DCA, it's only fair that they have a major price increase to justify the 1.2b+ they spent on the resort over the past 5 years.
    Price increases are normal, but the percent change this year is astonishing. DCA may be brand new, but the idea should be that increased attendance will be enough to recoup the money spent. Obviously they're taking advantage of the increased crowds by raising prices to the people who will pay whatever it is to get in, but that doesn't mean that it's going to work for everyone.

Can anyone tell me if daily parking fees will go up? $15 a day as it is right now and if it is going to for the summer Ill buy our parking for our trip tonight.

Page 6 of 53 FirstFirst ... 34567891631 ... LastLast