Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help for stairs

42 miles from the Happiest Place on Earth

Help for stairs

My daughter who is 3 wears glasses and has a problem going up and down stairs(she usually falls or takes a VERY long time). Is there a way to ask the CM at the attraction itself to see if they will let her go in the exit? I know about the GAC but don't think they would give us one for this, and we don't really need it for rides that don't have stairs. At DCA the only ride we go on with stairs is TSMM and I just tell the CM she has trouble and they let us out where we don't use the stairs... so on rides like Big Thunder or Autopia should I also just ask?
    Disney bucket list:

Go to Club 33
    Tour the Walt Disney Studios
    Work for Disney

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

Re: Help for stairs

Even without a GAC the CM's are usually helpful in cases like this if you explain the situation to them. I have a hard time with stairs too because of my knees, and with things like Aladdin, I've just told the CM about it and they put me in the bottom section so I didn't have to do the stairs. (I had asked if I could use the elevator since the line I was in was for one of the higher levels, but they just let me sit in the lower section instead, which was cool with me. )

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

The last time we went to Aladdin I asked the CM and he was extremely nice and let us sit on the bottom level(we've only gone to that twice since I was afraid of the stair aspect with her). I'm kind of just afraid that on bigger attractions(Big Thunder) the CM might just think we want not to wait in line...not the case at all, we always do but last time on Big Thunder she fell going up the stairs and people behind us were sort of rude since we were taking a while.
    Disney bucket list:

Go to Club 33
    Work for Disney

• Disney Fan 4 Life

Actually, they will be able to give you a GAC for no stairs..I have a friend that after multiple surgeries is unable to do stairs of any kind, and sometimes even some ramps. That way, you will not need to explain it at each ride, just show the pass and she will be accommodated for it. Simply go to city hall and explain the issue and they should issue her one. My friend has one for herself and since she is usually there with her husband who assists her, they mark it 2, so that he can accompany her.
    Here You Leave Today and Enter the World of Yesterday, Tomorrow, and Fantasy.

“To all who come to this happy place; welcome. Disneyland is your land. Here age relives fond memories of the past...and here youth may savor the challenge and promise of the future. Disneyland is dedicated to the ideals, the dreams and the hard facts that have created America...with the hope that it will be a source of joy and inspiration to all the world.” - Walt Disney, Disneyland Opening Day Speech 1955

View my new Budget Disney Blog here: http://budgetdisneylandresort.blogspot.com/

Thank you! I will go and ask for a GAC, I guess all they can say is no, if they do and then I can use it for the rides with stairs. I guess I should have thought of that!
    Disney bucket list:

Go to Club 33
    Work for Disney

I second the recommendation for the GAC. Each stamp means something different (there is a stamp that means no stairs), and you are not obligated to use the pass if you don't want to. So you won't feel like you are trying to get ahead in line.

And thank you for being someone who isn't trying to take advantage of the system. You are a rarity and an amazing role model for your daughter.

It will also give you something to show instead of explaining the situation each time.
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

•   

Yes to the above. Go to Guest Relations and explain the truth, which is that a member of your party has a very difficult time with stairs, and you were hoping to obtain a Guest Assistance Card to make it easier for Cast Members to help you out at the various locations. They should be able to give you a Guest Assistance Card that tells CM's to provide you with routes that dont involve stairs. Nothing more, nothing less.

Good luck and Have fun!!

Quote Originally Posted by DL Lover in LA View Post
    I second the recommendation for the GAC. Each stamp means something different (there is a stamp that means no stairs), and you are not obligated to use the pass if you don't want to. So you won't feel like you are trying to get ahead in line.

And thank you for being someone who isn't trying to take advantage of the system. You are a rarity and an amazing role model for your daughter.
    Aww, well, that just made my day. I have 4 kids and hope I am a good role model for them all.

Thanks for all the advice guys!
    Disney bucket list:

Go to Club 33
    Work for Disney

• Bring back the Keelboats!

I was going to mention Indy has an elevator to bypass all the stairs, but I don't know if your 3-year old would be ready for that ride yet!

Hidden Mickey - Historical fiction about Walt that mixes action and mystery with time travel and fantasy! Tweens to adults will enjoy these novels. And now, three gamebooks to play in Disneyland, DCA and WDW Magic Kingdom!

Check out my six action/adventure novels about Walt's lost diary and his epic quest. Visit my blog page!

Sometimes Dead Men DO Tell Tales!

Quote Originally Posted by StaceeyL View Post
    Aww, well, that just made my day. I have 4 kids and hope I am a good role model for them all.

Thanks for all the advice guys!
    You're welcome! If you want any detailed info on alternative entries for rides, feel free to ask. I've got some of them memorized.

Quote Originally Posted by HiddenMickeyBook View Post
    I was going to mention Indy has an elevator to bypass all the stairs, but I don't know if your 3-year old would be ready for that ride yet!
    She's not quite tall enough for Indy yet, though she makes me measure her every time we go to DL.
    Disney bucket list:

Go to Club 33
    Work for Disney

• Bring back the Keelboats!

I just saw the post about the GAC that indicates no stairs. That's a great help. On Junngle Cruise, for instance, they use the stairs to route people to the higher queue if it is busy-like it was Sunday. With the GAC, you can go in through the exit and be able to bypass that. My hubby has to use a scooter as he can't walk far and the cast members have been so accomodating.

There are stairs at the end of Midway Mania, so we use the handicap car in the back, walking past the regular get-on. It is by itself and there is no rush to get in or out.

Autopia has an open elevator once you reach a certain part of the queue. Also, Tiki Room has the same type of elevator off to the right side of the pre-show area. There aren't many stairs, but our scooter can't make them!

Big Thunder has a handicap entrance near the exit that is manned by a cast member. Note: Bring an umbrella for the sunny days! It got really warm there Sunday and we decided to bypass the ride as there was no shade until you got close to the cast member.

The Submarine ride and the Castle Walk-Through both have viewing areas for those who can't either get down the steps into the sub or do the extensive stairs through the Castle. You see the same 'show' as if you were there. Not sure, but I think you can go to the exit of the subs and ask to use the viewing room instead of waiting in line.... Not sure on that.
    Space Mountain also has an entrance through the exit. Star Tours needs a sort of handicap entrance ticket from the cast member at the main entrance of the attraction. Just walk up to one of them with your group and request the handicap entrance stub and they will give you a ticket with your time to go - usually about the same time as a FastPass ticket. Then you go in through the exit located in the Star Wars gift shop.

Hope some of this helps!

Hidden Mickey - Historical fiction about Walt that mixes action and mystery with time travel and fantasy! Tweens to adults will enjoy these novels. And now, three gamebooks to play in Disneyland, DCA and WDW Magic Kingdom!

Check out my six action/adventure novels about Walt's lost diary and his epic quest. Visit my blog page!

Sometimes Dead Men DO Tell Tales!

Thanks HiddenMickeyBook.

We go about once a month and I usually carry her up/down the stairs, but she's getting too heavy and my back is hurting.

I have to say I don't remember stairs on Star Tours though....
    and honestly Jungle Cruise is the one she has the most trouble with, it seems like those stairs are more step or something. I haven't gone back on Finding Nemo, it was just too hard with the angle of the stairs for her. Thanks for the help!
    Disney bucket list:

Go to Club 33
    Work for Disney

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by StaceeyL View Post
    I have to say I don't remember stairs on Star Tours though....
    There aren't any to my knowledge. In your situation, you would use the regular queue for Star Tours. ECV users have to get the "wait" ticket. All other GAC users (wheelchairs and GACs) use the regular line. I don't believe there are stairs, but a steep ramp. Wheelchair users use an elevator once inside the building. I believe the "avoid stairs" users just go the regular way.
    If you see a cute yellow lab puppy with a yellow cape, WAVE! It might be us! (Or it may be someone else that lurks here!) Thank you for asking before you pet! Next trip, Dec 22-Jan 3rd.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast