Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Annual Pass Upgrade Question

I thought I would ask here first before waiting in the long ticket booth line.I upgraded from Deluxe to Premium and was charged $140 instead of $120. At first I thought it might have been a price increase, but it looks like I lost the $20 renewal discount. Does anyone if this is correct or a mistake was made?

• Under that tree again!

Re: Annual Pass Upgrade Question

When you upgrade you usually loose any discount you got when you bought your pass or tickets.

• Support MC - Go GOLD!

Quote Originally Posted by gary94080 View Post
    I thought I would ask here first before waiting in the long ticket booth line.I upgraded from Deluxe to Premium and was charged $140 instead of $120. At first I thought it might have been a price increase, but it looks like I lost the $20 renewal discount. Does anyone if this is correct or a mistake was made?
    Yup,
    you lose that Discount
    Quote by Al:
    To that end I'd like the Internet community to join me in reminding the Disney company that "it all started with Walt." As you can see below we've created some T-shirts, plus a few simple graphics that you can copy and paste into your websites to let folks know how you feel.
    -Al Lutz

It might be a mistake. I just renewed online and asked this specific question to a cast member through the online chat function. He told me the discount still applied. I am also just now reviewing the postcard I got in the mail, reminding me to renew. And, it says this: "Plus, if you upgrade to the Deluxe or Premium level, we'll take $20.00 of the renewal price." That's not $20.00 more; it is just the discount already reflected in the renewal price. So says the fine print.

• Support MC - Go GOLD!

Maybe things have changed.
    When I upgraded one year (I'd say about 6 years ago)
    They took the difference of what I paid minus the cost of the new pass.
    I lost the discount.
    Quote by Al:
    To that end I'd like the Internet community to join me in reminding the Disney company that "it all started with Walt." As you can see below we've created some T-shirts, plus a few simple graphics that you can copy and paste into your websites to let folks know how you feel.
    -Al Lutz

• Minion

Just call. It can be maddening trying to figure all of this out, but I've always found customer service on the phone to be very helpful. Call the AP line.

• Under that tree again!

Quote Originally Posted by swampymarsh View Post
    When you upgrade you usually loose any discount you got when you bought your pass or tickets.
    Calling for more information won't help, it won't change what happens when you are at the ticket booths..

When you are there my answer is correct. If you retain your discount consider yourself lucky for getting an exception.

• Nor Cal AP'er

Quote Originally Posted by DL714 View Post
    It might be a mistake. I just renewed online and asked this specific question to a cast member through the online chat function. He told me the discount still applied. I am also just now reviewing the postcard I got in the mail, reminding me to renew. And, it says this: "Plus, if you upgrade to the Deluxe or Premium level, we'll take $20.00 of the renewal price." That's not $20.00 more; it is just the discount already reflected in the renewal price. So says the fine print.
    This is correct,I renewed on-line and I got the 20.00 discount yesterday and it already says that I am "premium" AP'er now on the web-site. I also got the same postcard in the mail and you receive a 20% off coupon for anything 50.00 or more as well.

*** also there is no down-payment either if you renew and continue monthly payments*** they just take out the first month payment of 40.00 bucks instead.
    I am a Annual Pass Holder and I'm better than you! lol!

• backwards driver

Calling can in fact help. I have called and gotten one ticket answer on the phone and then when i was told something else at the ticket booth i was able to reference the call i had previously made and because i had been told something on the phone they made an exception and gave me the deal i was expecting at the ticket booth.

The standard procedure when you upgrade you pass mid year is to charge you whatever the going rate currently is for the new pass you want, then subtract the dollar amount you have paid in previously for you pass. This obviously does not take into account the $20 discount that you received when you renewed. Disney could go either way on this saying it was a one time discount only and you would have had to buy the higher pass at the time of renewal or if you get a friendly cast member they could push through the $20 dollar discount. Either way its worth a phone call to customer service, i would present it to customer service as if you haven't yet paid for your upgrade and ask them if the $20 discount overall would still apply to your new pass price. Then if they say yes explain to them that you already upgraded but found an error on the receipt that didn't give you the $20 discount and ask if they can process the refund etc.

They should be able to do all of this over the phone as they can upgrade a multi day hopper pass to an annual pass over the phone and this is not much different fundamentally.

I'll call them when I get home. Customer Relations couldn't do anything about it in the park.

I heard a CM talking to a Premium pass holder about the new price may rise $150 or more so losing out on $20 may not be so bad.

• Disneyland Nut

When I called the AP line this afternoon, they told me that if I renew before July 1st, I'll be locking in the "old" price and not the new increase that takes place on May 20th.

He said that would be the case for both online and in person. I'm already an existing premium passholder and renewed online last year and got the discount for renewing before my pass expired. Since my pass expires the first week in July this year, I'll be able to renew before July 1st to lock in existing rates. Apparently, you can renew 40 days prior to your expiration date.

I say call the AP line for more information and details.

• Under that tree again!

Quote Originally Posted by MsMandy View Post
    I say call the AP line for more information and details.
    Did they tell you when you renew, that your new AP will retain the same anniversary to expire on?

By getting those savings you will loose all of those days of use. This is a trade off, lower price or less days.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by gary94080 View Post
    Let me see if we have a misunderstanding here. You were a deluxe passholder. You upgraded your pass to premium during the year. If this is the case, you pay the difference between what you paid, and what the new pass was valued at, so in this case, you lost the renewal discount. Usually, if you think you want a premium, it is cheaper to do a renewal at the full price.
    If you see a cute yellow lab puppy with a yellow cape, WAVE! It might be us! (Or it may be someone else that lurks here!) Thank you for asking before you pet! Next trip, Dec 22-Jan 3rd.

So here is the timeline. I renewed Deluxe in March. I usually avoid blackout dates like the plague, but this weekend my niece and nephew's school band are playing at CA and this summer other relatives are booking vacations around blackout dates. At $59 each I figured I might as well upgrade. My expiration date is the same.

• I am number 4 of 999

Quote Originally Posted by swampymarsh View Post
    Did they tell you when you renew, that your new AP will retain the same anniversary to expire on?

By getting those savings you will loose all of those days of use. This is a trade off, lower price or less days.
    I might be missing something here, but according to Disney, "
    A renewed Annual Passport expires on the anniversary date of the original Passport." If my original passport expires in June of this year, and I renew it up to 40 days before it expires, the renewed one expires in June of next year. Where am I'm losing days?
    It's actually "Cars Land", not "Carsland".

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast