View Poll Results: Are these good ideas?

Voters
33. You may not vote on this poll
  • I like all 4 ideas

9 27.27%
  • I like 1 and 2, but not 3 and 4

4 12.12%
  • I don't like these ideas at all

20 60.61%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Idea for new ticket pricing model

Quote Originally Posted by JerrodDRagon View Post
    I just want a pass for under 300 that gets me 6 days to go when ever I want...then a 12 day pass...then an unlimited pass.

I don't need a pass that can go Holidays,I just want to go about 6 days a year WHEN ever I want....that would help with over crowding for sure
    Every day at Disneyland is NOT like every other day. Some days have longer hours, some have more entertainment, some have less attractions in refurbishment. Days should be priced accordingly.

If a ticket gives you ANY 6 days over the year, a lot of guests will go Christmas week and other holidays. That will create MORE crowding, not less. The way to cut crowding is to price days differently. And yes, it will be complicated, but only for Disney.

Unlimited is a big part of the problem. It means you can go every night for fireworks or WoC, it means you can go during holidays and crowded summer Saturdays. It means MORE crowding. If Premium passholders can get in for $2, it hurts everyone. If they have to pay a percentage of a variable price, they will either choose to pay more (Disney makes more) or they will go on an off-day (crowds will be less).

Crowding will tend to level throughout the year, Disney and guests both benefit.

It's been said before (in the past)
    but I really do like it.
    $xxx.xx gives you xx amount of days (Let's say 12 days (you choose) for $350).
    At the end of the year, if you don't use, it goes away (no "rollover").
    And make the cards re-fillable.
    You want more days, it's xx amount.
    You just go online, enter your card/pass number
    and pay to refill your card/pass for that year (again, no roll over...year ends, days are gone).
    A refillable card also gets rid of paper ticket and would stop people using/selling unused days/tickets to others.
    That's actually very clever. It would certainly solve a lot of issues.

For everyone who doesn't like any of the ideas, what is it you don't like?

I suppose most high-end APs won't like that it will be overall more expensive if you go every day/night or at least 50 times a year. And maybe others think variable day pricing is confusing and makes holidays/weekends more expensive, but wouldn't it be worth it to help level out the crowds?

• Disneyland's the best!

I think the single biggest, easiest thing that can happen is that the Disneyland Resort junks Premium APs. Simple as that. No one needs a pass that is valid on every day of the year. All that does is devalue the parks. Maybe even get rid of Deluxe APs. That way, there'd be some days that would be busy in the parks due to APs--the days less busy otherwise. It would also get rid of some Christmas/4th/New Years bottleneck.

And really, I like this plan. However, as many have pointed out already, this could get complicated. If the schedule for ticketing was made simple, though, it sounds pretty darn good to me. Maybe throw in 2, 3, 4, and 5 free "regular" (off) days of admission to make it have tangible value?

EDIT: These numbers wouldn't work at current pricing. Nevermind. Maybe if the lowest one was $300 it would.
    Last edited by RatherBeAtDLand; 05-20-2012 at 02:56 PM.
    It's easy enough to be pleasant
    when life hums along like a song.
    But the man worth while
    is the man who can smile
    when everything goes dead wrong.

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mojave View Post
    Every day at Disneyland is NOT like every other day. Some days have longer hours, some have more entertainment, some have less attractions in refurbishment. Days should be priced accordingly.

If a ticket gives you ANY 6 days over the year, a lot of guests will go Christmas week and other holidays. That will create MORE crowding, not less. The way to cut crowding is to price days differently. And yes, it will be complicated, but only for Disney.

Unlimited is a big part of the problem. It means you can go every night for fireworks or WoC, it means you can go during holidays and crowded summer Saturdays. It means MORE crowding. If Premium passholders can get in for $2, it hurts everyone. If they have to pay a percentage of a variable price, they will either choose to pay more (Disney makes more) or they will go on an off-day (crowds will be less).

Crowding will tend to level throughout the year, Disney and guests both benefit.
    You can just get a 6 day pass then....they have that.....I'm talking about AP's for people who want tog go 6 times during ANY part of the and since Park hoppers only work X-amount of days after the first one is used my idea is more so you can go once in the summer, once in the winter, once during off season and once during Halloween....of course SOME days can be blocked..like Holidays but not like the Whole summer like on the cheaper APs

•   
    • Support MC - Go GOLD!

Quote Originally Posted by RatherBeAtDLand View Post
    I think the single biggest, easiest thing that can happen is that the Disneyland Resort junks Premium APs. Simple as that. No one needs a pass that is valid on every day of the year. All that does is devalue the parks
    I agree.

And only have one Year pass. No every day entry (unless someone wants to pay a base entry price that exceeds the $1.50 some are paying --- something like $20-$30 a day (as an example)).
    I think you should reward those who travel once or twice a year to the park
    but at the same time (ie: 10-12 visit per year for $300 )
    not make the price so low that it becomes a "mall hang out place" for some people.
    Quote by Al:
    To that end I'd like the Internet community to join me in reminding the Disney company that "it all started with Walt." As you can see below we've created some T-shirts, plus a few simple graphics that you can copy and paste into your websites to let folks know how you feel.
    -Al Lutz

• Pilot EdForceOne

I propose a hybrid of this...

1) Variable pricing used to eliminate the need for SoCal passes. Using seasonal prices (just like they do for the hotels), Disney should be able to price right to spur demand in off peak periods. Keep it simple.. 'off-peak weekday', 'off-peak weekend', 'peek weekdays', 'peak weekends'. Use event ticketing for special occasions like NYE, etc.

2) APs keep telling everyone how they spend more than others. Ok, solve the inequality between locals and remotes and reward loyalty. Replace the entire AP program with a Loyalty program. The more you spend, the greater the perks. Hit that milestone, get that 10% merch discount, etc. Hit that milestone, get that parking pass, hit that milestone, get that ticket discount, etc. Such a system does what people SAY they do... rewards actual customer loyalty. Cater the system to how people visit DL.

3) Supplement the loss of APs with up front bulk ticket purchasing. Tickets that expire in 12m and have a set # of admissions included. Once you buy over 5 admissions, the price should go down significantly, with another major step at 12 admissions. This way people who do want to come a lot, can do so reasonably, without having the place cheapened to a mall hangout for them.

4) Retain an exclusively priced 'all you can eat' ticket option for those that really want to hit the park too often. Price this at a break even of about 30 admissions compared to the discount admissions. This ticket would not grant admission to special ticketed events.

This model does a few things
    - makes the park affordable offpeak
    - breaks the 'DL is my park, on my terms' mentality
    - rewards loyalty with actual perks.. people who do as they say.. get rewarded handsomely
    - makes park visits an actual expense, not a commodity
    - still allows a high volume of visits without making visits effectively giveaways

Basically instead of paying 1 price up front.. and saying 'I spend a lot of money, they owe me!!!' like a lot of passholders act like now. Your actual benefits will match your behavior.. not simply a one time fee.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• Banned User

The funny thing is options 1,2 and 3 already ARE in various Disney resorts worldwide! Options 1 and 2 are in HKDL and DLP and the no black out dates only AP has been available in TDR for 20 years now! On top of that, many of these parks has other various discount and multday ticket models thats very different from DLR. Some are better, others are not! So its not like this stuff hasnt been done, its done all the time. Its just not in the state side parks for some odd reason.

Option 4 has never been done anywhere though to my knowledge. I dont see the company ever doing that though. I think most people just want to pay a firm price for their tickets and be done! But who knows?

And people APs are not going anywhere! They will be there as long as tickets and multiday passes are there, period! Especially in a competitive theme park market where other places practically give theirs away!
    Last edited by WorldDisney; 05-20-2012 at 06:20 PM.

•   
    • ALL DISNEY ALL THE TIME

Blog Entries

I like it the way it is , I go to the parks atleast 100 times a year and I don't mind paying what ever for my pass. This year I bought it for $479 a month ago so I figure I am paying less than $5 a trip and saving $1500 on parking. So it went up $150 that's only $1.50 a trip more for me and hopefully it might drop the number of pass holders.
    Im here for fun and info not be a bully! Carsland here I come

• Senior Minion

I think that they likely will try to implement some new types of seasonal discounts like you suggest in the OP. There are a number of ways to achieve similar results though. Membership and spending based rewards are all interesting ideas to move away from the annual pass model. I'm just not sure that's the direction they want to go. I think that they'll use more discounted multi-day offerings for locals like the two-fer and three day summer passes. Then continue to raise higher level AP's until they hit a more manageable number. Based on the reaction to this price increase I think there would be a huge backlash if they totally got rid of AP's.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

While I like a good many of the ideas, the subjective nature of many of these post confounds me.

Why does there such an 'us against the Aper' attitude on this board?

Just because an Aper experiences the park a different way doesn't make that experience any more or less valid. It's just...different. Just as someone who stays in the Grand Californian has a different experience than someone staying at the Hilton.

I don't see a lot of Apers saying 'I spend a lot of money, they owe me' what I see is a lot saying 'hey, I visit the park in a different manner than many people.'

Again with all the 1.55 per day nonsense. That's like me saying I work in sales with an uncapped commission...so in theory if I worked 24/7/365 I could be making $900,000 a year. Logic has to come into play.

Why should someone who visits the park for 2 hours pay the same 'daily' rate as someone staying for 12 hours?

Seems like a lot of AP envy if you ask me.

I'm liking the idea of variable pricing, even if that would possibly get rid of my SoCal discount (but variable pricing would have the same amount of benefits, since I almost never go to DLR during peek season). And the Loyalty program would definitely help - reward those who are actually going to follow through, instead of giving the same benefits to those who follow through and those who say this...

..and forget that they have a life outside of the Magic Kingdom.

• world class bilge rat

Quote Originally Posted by twoangrybadgers View Post
    While I like a good many of the ideas, the subjective nature of many of these post confounds me.

Why does there such an 'us against the Aper' attitude on this board?

Just because an Aper experiences the park a different way doesn't make that experience any more or less valid. It's just...different. Just as someone who stays in the Grand Californian has a different experience than someone staying at the Hilton.

I don't see a lot of Apers saying 'I spend a lot of money, they owe me' what I see is a lot saying 'hey, I visit the park in a different manner than many people.'

Again with all the 1.55 per day nonsense. That's like me saying I work in sales with an uncapped commission...so in theory if I worked 24/7/365 I could be making $900,000 a year. Logic has to come into play.

Why should someone who visits the park for 2 hours pay the same 'daily' rate as someone staying for 12 hours?

Seems like a lot of AP envy if you ask me.
    As a person who visits DL once a year these days, two or 3 times in years past, I'll offer my opinions.

I have nothing at all against the people who hold APs, but I have a LOT against the program in general.

Ever since TDC began pushing the AP program, and more so, since the introduction of the monthly payment plan, the parks have become crowded enough that it takes me a while to want to go back after each visit.

Over the past few years, I've noticed that the CMs have maintained their excellent level of professionalism, but the guests seem to have become more and more self-centered and demanding. I don't know if this correlates to the huge number of APs (and the associated overcrowding) or not, but basic logic would point in that direction.

While I certainly realize that very few things in life are actually fair, I cannot help but resent the fact that a very large number of people in the parks paid a LOT less than I did to get in.

The biggest problem I have with the AP program is the attitude of TDC executives......We want big money NOW, screw the tourists.

Again, none of this is aimed at the people who hold APs; if I lived in SoCal, you can bet I'd be on the monthly payment plan. I'd be a fool not to.

Quote Originally Posted by micromind View Post

Over the past few years, I've noticed that the CMs have maintained their excellent level of professionalism, but the guests seem to have become more and more self-centered and demanding. I don't know if this correlates to the huge number of APs (and the associated overcrowding) or not, but basic logic would point in that direction.
    I'd argue that the attitude you speak of is not correlated to APs but rather to the increase in general rudeness among Americans.

We're Ruder Than Ever, Poll Finds - ABC News

Just one of many stories. Heck, are all those people who now think it's OK to text in a movie theater APs? Are all those people failing to signal APs? When's the last time you saw a stranger open a door? Society is becoming more self-centered and demanding as a whole, it's a REAL problem of which I've seen linked many times to us always being wired into technology.

Disneyland is just a microcosm. And you seem like a reasonable person, so I assume this invasion into a land we all have come to idolize may just hit you harder than the teen brat who's texting in a movie theater (personal pet peeve of mine, as I go to 50-60 movies a year and have light sensitive eyes...please, stop texting in movies!)

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Trav1Disney View Post
    I like it the way it is , I go to the parks atleast 100 times a year and I don't mind paying what ever for my pass. This year I bought it for $479 a month ago so I figure I am paying less than $5 a trip and saving $1500 on parking. So it went up $150 that's only $1.50 a trip more for me and hopefully it might drop the number of pass holders.
    Of course someone like you likes it you go to the parks almost 3 times a week...but for others we want something that allows us to go just under ten times because we DONT go more then that and don't need to...why would we pay the same price as you when you go ten times more then others?

Also people are tired of the parks being over crowded and APs are a big part of that, to be honest Id pay for night when they're we LESS people there in a special event if I could just walk on to ALL rides

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast