View Poll Results: Are these good ideas?

Voters
33. You may not vote on this poll
  • I like all 4 ideas

9 27.27%
  • I like 1 and 2, but not 3 and 4

4 12.12%
  • I don't like these ideas at all

20 60.61%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Idea for new ticket pricing model

I'm sure a lot of different pricing model ideas have been posted on MiceChat (probably even the one I am posting now). Here's my idea that I think would benefit BOTH guests and the Disney Company.

1) Variable single day pricing. Single day tickets (one or both parks) would be more expensive on high demand days, especially on Friday, Saturday and Sunday, holidays and holiday weeks. Tickets would be less expensive on low demand days, weekdays and off-season.

2) Variable multi-day pricing. Similar price variance as 1).

3) No blocked out calendar. All days are the same for all AP holders. 1) and 2) would be required to have this make sense.

4) AP tickets have a completely different model. You pay one upfront annual fee, that gives you a certain percentage off purchase of daily tickets. For example, but I haven't worked out the actual math on this to see if it makes sense, so don't sue me!

a) Pay $350 annual fee, you get 90% off the regular single day one/both park ticket price.
    b) Pay $250 annual fee, you get 75% off the regular ticket price.
    c) Pay $150 annual fee, you get 50% off.
    d) Pay $75 annual fee, you get 25% off.

Again, I haven't done the math on that to see if it makes sense. Probably the annual fee would be much different.

Benefits to this plan:
    1) Attendance at the parks would "tend" to even out through the year. In general, less people (than now) would go on more expensive days and more people (than now) would go on less expensive days.
    2) AP holders that want to go everyday could still do that, it would just cost them a lot more.
    3) AP holders could go any time during the year, but they would pay more for weekend and holiday times, just like everyone else.
    4) Disney makes more money on weekends and holidays, but less on week days and the off-season. Maybe break even change?
    5) Assuming crowds are more evenly dispersed throughout the year, Disney could have a more consistent number of Cast Members working every day of the year. I'm not a business major, but I think this helps reduce some overhead costs.
    6) It cuts down on one of the biggest gripes I think a lot of people have with APs: locals going every day, creating massive crowds.

• Seasick

Re: Idea for new ticket pricing model

It's a good idea, but I don't think it will ever happen for the reason that keeping ticket purchasing options simple makes the most sense from a marketing standpoint.

Many people already consider the WDW ticket structure too confusing, and it's simpler than this plan.
    My Micechat cruise trip report, Part 1:http://micechat.com/14795-disney-wonder/

Quote Originally Posted by BC_DisneyGeek View Post
    It's a good idea, but I don't think it will ever happen for the reason that keeping ticket purchasing options simple makes the most sense from a marketing standpoint.

Many people already consider the WDW ticket structure too confusing, and it's simpler than this plan.
    I don't think AP holders will be more confused by 3) and 4). In one case, it's easier because blackout dates are eliminated. As for determining how much they pay, that is taken care of at the ticket booths.

I can see how 1) and 2) will be a little more confusing for daily guests. But it's no different than paying more for weekend hotel days and less for weekday, so most people would get it. The only difficult part would be for CMs. They would have to swap out the pricing boards a lot during the year.

• Minion

I like all the ideas. The variable daily pricing is a great idea. I tihink it would help prevent overcrowding.In order for your AP discount structure to come across well, it would have to be presented as a "membership" instead of a pass. Each of the annual fee would have a named "level" of membership. The benefits of that membership would be, % off on admission that day, % off on food, and so forth. And of course a printed magazine like the one they send to APs now (which is basically just advertising the park). And maybe special offers from time to time.And there could be a few "free days" thrown in, to make it more appealing. The lowest level could have 5 free days, the next level 10, the next 15, the top level 20 free days, where they would not have to buy a ticket.

• Minion

It's so complicated. I prefer the current model because once you buy your pass, you don't have to worry about buying another. I'd also rather buy one ticket that is valid for any day I want to go, rather than purchase one for this Saturday and find out I can't use it for Friday or something. Plans might change and having a separate ticket each day would absolutely complicate things.

• Senior Minion

Slam-dunk! Best ticket pricing model I've seen since ticket books. Awaiting sediment to run the numbers & tweak the price points, but IMO the core idea is excellent. It would address a key problem of the way the current AP program is administered: the overall (AP + non-AP) devaluation of a day at Disneyland.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

I'd rather have the model in which I can just look and get a price. Those models are not very simplistic and will probably leave guests confused.
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

• Minion

The "Walt Club" or something like that. Bronze level, Silver level, Gold level, Platinum level. The Bronze level, $100 per year, you get the magazine, 5 free entry days, all additional entry days are $40 per day, parking $10. Silver level, $200 per year, you get the magazine, 10 free entry days, all additional days are $30 per day, parking $10. Gold level, $300 per year, magazine, 15 free entry days, all additional entry days are $20 per day, parking $5. Platinum level, $400 per year, magazine, 20 free entry days, all additional entry days are $10 per day, parking $5. Magic level, $500 per year, 25 free entry days, all additional entry days $5 per day, parking free. Membership card you get spells out what your benefits are. Not that complicated really. Allows people to purchase a "Walt's Club" membership level that is right for them, depending on how many days they expect to visit the park that year. Disney gets a chunk of money up front, plus additional money if the member uses more than the free days. It's sort of halfway between buying a ticket and buying an annual pass.

^ I like the whole club/membership concept.

But I think it's important that APs pay more on "premium" days (holidays, weekends, etc.) just like regular guests do. This is partly perception (regular guests don't feel like APs are getting special treatment) and for crowding. Having premium days apply to all will be the only way to cut crowding.

I'm not sold on the X free days per year. It's especially a problem if those free days are used on premium days. The crowd-cutting features of this ticket model are hindered if APs can go free on Christmas, other holidays and weekends.

You also need a way to control guests going from park to park. Right now, APs can go back and forth as much as they like. If they have to pay more for a multi-park ticket, they may decide to go just to Disneyland or just to DCA that day, again cutting crowd levels. They also then wouldn't be able to spend all day in DCA just to jump over to Disneyland for the fireworks and Fantasmic!, unless of course they pay the 2 park price.
    Last edited by Mojave; 05-19-2012 at 07:55 PM.

• Senior Minion

Re complexity: it isn't. It's no more complex than ticket books, which for decades were the standard. When I was in grade school, we used to brag about having x number of D's in our Jumbo 15, or having to suffer with only two E's left in our Big 10 (rich kids in the 1960s got the ultraposh Golden 20). Throw in the "11 Adventure," the Magic Kingdom Club 12, Starlight Tickets and other ticket media that everyone knew and loved for years, and you had an alphanumerical stew that was much more complicated and non-intuitive than what Mojave has proposed -- and yet generations of kids as young as six or seven had no problem understanding it and "speaking the jargon."

It'd be simple for Disney to sell to the public, especially given the kind of ideas that Bob Weaver had above.

The more I re-read the OP, the more I can see how this concept could accomplish a busy day/light day version of what the ticket books accomplished for big rides/small rides, namely, it would tend to even out the distribution of guests and make for a more pleasant experience for everyone overall.
    Last edited by Mr Wiggins; 05-19-2012 at 08:48 PM.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• world class bilge rat

I like this pricing model a lot.

I visit DL once or maybe twice a year, it irks me to no end that I pay more than $70 to get in while a fair number of people paid less than $5.

This model would cut back on the number of APers who go to DL simply because they have nothing else to do.

It would still provide a very healthy income while alleviating a good part of complaints that the tourists have.

It wouldn't be very popular with the AP holders, but the reality of it is that it would be more fair all the way around.

• Minion

People understand the concept of a "club" or "membership" and the various benefits that go along with it. It's not too complicated for people to understand. You would study the plans, and decide which one is right for you. We live in San Diego, so we would probably not go more than 4 times a year, so we would buy the cheaper membership, but pay more per visit. Someone living in Anaheim might go once a week, so they would buy the more expensive membership, but pay less per visit. Either way, it sort of evens out, so that people with different plans are paying closer to the same amount per day as each other, instead of drastic differences such as one person paying $87.00 for one day, while someone who bought a $649 AP, and went every day, effectively paid $1.77 for the same day.

• Under that tree again!

Quote Originally Posted by Mojave View Post
    You also need a way to control guests going from park to park. Right now, APs can go back and forth as much as they like. If they have to pay more for a multi-park ticket, they may decide to go just to Disneyland or just to DCA that day, again cutting crowd levels. They also then wouldn't be able to spend all day in DCA just to jump over to Disneyland for the fireworks and Fantasmic!, unless of course they pay the 2 park price.
    That won't help crowds at all. A+B = B+A. Park hopping allows guests to naturally lower the crowd levels in one park by hopping to the less busy park.

On capacity days, capacity is capacity. Just because people have tickets for that day doesn't mean they can get in, just like it says on all admission currently.

Same with super busy days, they are naturally lowered, because crowds area deterrent for most people. Again just because people have a ticket for thos days doesn't mean they will want to squeeze in.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Weaver View Post
    The "Walt Club" or something like that. Bronze level, Silver level, Gold level, Platinum level. The Bronze level, $100 per year, you get the magazine, 5 free entry days, all additional entry days are $40 per day, parking $10. Silver level, $200 per year, you get the magazine, 10 free entry days, all additional days are $30 per day, parking $10. Gold level, $300 per year, magazine, 15 free entry days, all additional entry days are $20 per day, parking $5. Platinum level, $400 per year, magazine, 20 free entry days, all additional entry days are $10 per day, parking $5. Magic level, $500 per year, 25 free entry days, all additional entry days $5 per day, parking free. Membership card you get spells out what your benefits are.
    This would work fine except for a minor problem with the pricing. It would have to start at $300 and the parking would need to remain at $15. This way it costs more than today's prices, not a super bargain. And the parking price won't be encouraging more locals and reducing revenue in the parking lots. Parking needs to make money too.

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

I just want a pass for under 300 that gets me 6 days to go when ever I want...then a 12 day pass...then an unlimited pass.

I don't need a pass that can go Holidays,I just want to go about 6 days a year WHEN ever I want....that would help with over crowding for sure

• Support MC - Go GOLD!

It's been said before (in the past)
    but I really do like it.
    $xxx.xx gives you xx amount of days (Let's say 12 days (you choose) for $350).
    At the end of the year, if you don't use, it goes away (no "rollover").
    And make the cards re-fillable.
    You want more days, it's xx amount.
    You just go online, enter your card/pass number
    and pay to refill your card/pass for that year (again, no roll over...year ends, days are gone).
    A refillable card also gets rid of paper ticket and would stop people using/selling unused days/tickets to others.
    Quote by Al:
    To that end I'd like the Internet community to join me in reminding the Disney company that "it all started with Walt." As you can see below we've created some T-shirts, plus a few simple graphics that you can copy and paste into your websites to let folks know how you feel.
    -Al Lutz

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast