Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

• I am number 4 of 999

Re: Mater's Junkyard Jamboree Test Ride

I love love love love LOVE whip type rides! I'm so excited to ride this!
    It's actually "Cars Land", not "Carsland".

• Parking Lot > DCA

Quote Originally Posted by DisneylandTraveler View Post
    Larry the Cable Guy. Am I the only one that hears that voice and immediately recoils like fingernails across a blackboard?
    No, you're not. It's hard for me to like him. As a fan of stand up, there are certain people that you either don't like at all, or you don't like for good reason. For instance Dane Cook, and Carlos Mencia have both been known to steal jokes from other comedians like Joe Rogan, and Louis CK. I don't think Larry the Cable Guy does that, however I just can't get into his act. Maybe it's because it isn't real, or maybe because there are only so many "poop jokes" I can handle..

Quote Originally Posted by John Goodman View Post
    It is sad that as a culture we've reached a point where Larry the Cable Guy gets memorialized in a theme park attraction. He's not funny, he's fake. Thumbs down. Even if the ride is fun, a good portion of guests should be disgusted merely by his presence.

But I guess +1 for not picking Carlos Mencia.
    Like I said above, I am not a fan of Larry the Cable Guy. However, I do think his voice fits the Mater character pretty darn well. Being that I am not a huge fan of him, I probably will just ignore the ride if it's super obnoxious like it appears to be..

I do agree with your Mencia comment though.

Quote Originally Posted by planodisney View Post
    Wow!! What a bunch of overly sophisticated kill joys who are TOO superior to enjoy something with a middle America country flavor to it. I always feel so sorry for people like this when i meet them. Particularly that last post was beyond ridiculous.
    It's just a matter of opinion really. Some people like it and express those feelings and some don't and express those feelings. I don't think that the above comment was meant to be as harsh as it came off to be. That poster is probably more of a David Cross stand up fan and less of a Larry the Cable Guy fan. Different strokes for different folks, ya know?

• Buena Vista St. & Red Car

This should be quite the fun little attraction. I can't wait to ride! I may not be the biggest Larry fan but some music isn't going to deter me from enjoying what looks like a great little attraction. Idk, maybe it's just me but the songs sound like good music (they were performed by Billy and the Hillbillies from right across the way in DL) just with a poor singer in Mater/Larry the Cable Guy. I could say the same thing about more than half of the songs from the much beloved Country Bear Jamboree (especially the Summer one) as well...many of those bears had equally bad singing there but I guess it gets the pass due to nostalgia...? Actually now that I mention it, that's exactly what this reminds me of. Very similar to some of the poorly sung songs from Country Bear Jamboree...done for humor. Good music but poor singing down for down-home, country humor but instead of redneck bears it's a redneck tractor. And for the record, regardless of bad singing, I loved the Country Bears and am excited to see them again when I visit WDW. I just don't see the difference between the good music with poor singing on Mater's and the same good music and poor singing on Country Bears. I certainly wouldn't let the music deter me from riding...I'll just ignore it if it really gets on my nerves I guess lol
    Last edited by SoCalFan; 05-21-2012 at 08:50 AM.

• Banned User

So, you need to be a fan of Larry The Cable Guys standup routine to be able to enjoy this attraction? I have never heard 5 seconds of anything he has ever done except the Cars movies, and seen him interviewed a few times in which he seems like an extrordinarilly nice guy. His voice is PERFECT for Mater. Kids love and identify with Mater and I am extremely glad he has a point of emphasis in Carsland.

---------- Post added 05-21-2012 at 04:50 PM ----------

Exactly SoCalfan. Some people take their pesonal sophistication and opinion of their more nuanced sense of humor waaaayyyy to serious, and have lost any ability to just have mindless, simple fun. :-) i am actually realy excited with how this ride has turned out and feel that if they could have just replaced LFT with a little higher caliber of attraction, then this land could have been a huge home run attraction wise. i feel like it was a bad decision to compliment RSR with 2 B/C ticket level of attraction in a land soooo important to the future of DCA and the growth of the resort.

I cant wait to start hearing reviews of RSR!!!!
    Last edited by planodisney; 05-21-2012 at 08:51 AM.

• Banned User

Wow!! What a bunch of overly sophisticated kill joys who are TOO superior to enjoy something with a middle America country flavor to it. I always feel so sorry for people like this when i meet them. Particularly that last post was beyond ridiculous.
    As someone who lives in "middle America," I can assure you that even to me (and all of my peers), Larry's "flavor" is something miles away from savory.

If you like anti-intellectual premise, racist jokes, and bathroom humor, Larry's your guy. I certainly don't.

Also, "Larry the Cable Guy" is a character...the guy underneath is named Daniel Whitney and was born in Nebraska. Cultural celebration of this trash is revolting.

• Disney Fan 4 Life

I think that people can get tired of the "Larry" voice the comedian affects. But perhaps few people are aware that his real voice is completely different from his "Larry" voice. But like all character voices, this one fits the ride since it was based on the character with that voice. It doesn't mean I like, it is what it is..
    “Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy.”

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by explodingboy View Post
    That poster is probably more of a David Cross stand up fan and less of a Larry the Cable Guy fan. Different strokes for different folks, ya know?
    So... what you really mean is that he likes funny, talented comedians instead of dumbed down, talentless hacks who need a shtick to make people laugh?

Quote Originally Posted by John Goodman View Post
    As someone who lives in "middle America," I can assure you that even to me (and all of my peers), Larry's "flavor" is something miles away from savory.

If you like anti-intellectual premise, racist jokes, and bathroom humor, Larry's your guy. I certainly don't.

Also, "Larry the Cable Guy" is a character...the guy underneath is named Daniel Whitney and was born in Nebraska. Cultural celebration of this trash is revolting.
    +1

My entire dad's side of the family is from Nebraska. We have had family reunions there every few years my entire life. They don't talk like moronic rednecks out there and Larry the Cable Guy is nothing more than an insulting caricature of a Midwestern stereotype.

All that said, Mater really IS a moronic redneck... so I guess the voice fits.

• Parking Lot > DCA

So, you need to be a fan of Larry The Cable Guys standup routine to be able to enjoy this attraction? I have never heard 5 seconds of anything he has ever done except the Cars movies, and seen him interviewed a few times in which he seems like an extrordinarilly nice guy. His voice is PERFECT for Mater. Kids love and identify with Mater and I am extremely glad he has a point of emphasis in Carsland.
    Not at all. All I am saying is that if you come from his comedy to the movies, it can be difficult to swallow - if you really don't like the guy. I think his voice works for Mater, I am just not the biggest fan that's all.

Quote Originally Posted by BrodyDanger View Post
    So... what you really mean is that he likes funny, talented comedians instead of dumbed down, talentless hacks who need a shtick to make people laugh?
    Essentially, yes

Not sure how this went off the tracks. But Larry the Cable Guy is not represented in this attraction. The character is Mater. They are voiced by the same person and are supposed to sound like a redneck. But they are not the same character nor do them same jokes.

• will-o-the-whip

Still wish this ride had been like the original concept artwork: a whip ride on a track with an outdoor "dark" ride story. That would have been unique and really cool. Sigh...

• "What? What?"

Everyone realizes it's Mater singing and giving boarding and unboarding speils right? Not Larry The Cableguy.

If you don't like Larry the Cableguy or think he's not funny, that has nothing to do with this ride. And it's the character being memorialized not the voice actor.

People liked Captain Rex in Star Tours and that had nothing to do with liking Pee Wee Herman.

@FromMatterhorn on Twitter & Instagram

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by indianajack View Post
    Still wish this ride had been like the original concept artwork: a whip ride on a track with an outdoor "dark" ride story. That would have been unique and really cool. Sigh...
    Never heard of that before! Yeah does sound cool. Do you or anyone have a link?

• Pilot EdForceOne

All this hate on Larry the Cable guy.... and everyone overlooks the reason Larry is there. That's the character that was developed for Mater!

So if you don't like the humor... if you don't like the sound... you don't like what he says. Blame Pixar and John L - not Larry the Cable guy.

Larry was on the radio for ages long before most Disney fans had any clue of him and it's not Larry they put in the film or the attraction but the character PIXAR chose to put in the film.

If you can't take it.. put blame where it is due.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by indianajack View Post
    Pictures? I never knew it was anything more then a Whip Ride

• Banned User

The last few posts put my feelings into words without being a little snarky like I was. sorry if I offended anyone, that attitude,my perception only, is one of my pet peaves. but, as was noted, this isnt a Larry attraction.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast