Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

• Minion

Mater's Junkyard Jamboree Test Ride

On Saturday night they offered CM test rides on Mater's Junkyard Jamboree, and thanks to a heads up from management a bunch of us knew to stick around after work (or come in on a day off) and head over to DCA to try this little ride out.

WARNING: CARS LAND SPOILERS AHEAD!

Mater's Junkyard Jamboree is, of course, the other small attraction in Cars Land besides Luigi's Flyin' Tires. Mater's is the whip ride up at the front of the land, and I rode it twice on Saturday while the CM's were signed off to complete their training. Here's my thoughts on the thing;

The Queue - Hey, they spent some money here! There's a TON of junk in the queue, which makes sense since it's a junkyard. The back wall of the shaded queue area is filled with props and signs from Mater's adventures in his Tall Tales cartoons. The queue buildings are the old shade structures from when this area was Bountiful Valley Farm, but they have been thoroughly reworked into this new theme. The overall facility is nicely landscaped and heavily propped out. This sure as heck isn't DCA 1.0 any more, it's like a real Disney theme park that got a big fat budget even for little spinner rides.

The Show - There are a bunch of songs written just for this ride, and they were all really clever. If you are a country-western fan, you'll love this ride. If your musical tastes run more urban or classical, the music may drive you insane while you wait in the long switchback queue. You need to be really comfortable with the Mater character to enjoy this. The pre-show and unload spiels are also done by Larry The Cable Guy and are pretty funny. Someone put a lot of thought into this, and it shows. But if you can't stand watching old reruns of Hee-Haw, this isn't the ride for you.

The Ride - Oh, man, this little thing has a kick to it! It really whips you around once you get going, and it seems a bit wilder than the Teacups or Roger Rabbit. It doesn't look like much when you see it running from the queue, but when you are in those little trailers being whipped around you get a wild ride. I think little kids especially will love it, as it's kind of a big kid thrill but with a low 32 inch height requirement.

The Setting - Dude, does Cars Land look cool! We got to walk up part of Route 66 to get to the ride, and the land looks really good as the final details and props get put in place. It's really hard to believe this is actually DCA. There are lots of places around Disneyland that don't look half as good as Cars Land looks. Even if there weren't any rides, this would be a fun place to hang out in for an hour or two.

Overall - I think Mater's is a nice little addition to DCA's ride roster. This is nothing like Francis' Lady Bug Boogie, any more than Pirates is like Small World because they both use boats in a flume. Mater's is a whipping, whirling dervish that should satisfy anyone who doesn't mind country music and country humor. Nice job WDI!

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

Re: Mater's Junkyard Jamboree Test Ride

Sounds...liek how I wish ALL the rides in Bugsland were...fun...well themed (and funded) and made more for everyone then just kids

• Minion

I forgot to mention...

On Friday night they did test rides for CM's on Radiator Springs Racers. But on purpose they didn't put the radio all-call out on the Resort's radio system until the test rides had begun and then they ran the ride for tests for only an hour. The DCA management team probably wanted to prevent a mad rush for the ride which is why the radio all-call went out at the last minute, but a bunch of CM's were able to get over there and ride.

From what I heard from some girls in Guest Relations and an Indy CM who went, it is a really, really good ride! The word is they'll be doing more test rides for CM's on Radiator Springs Racers every few days now.

• Seeker of Fun

I hope RSR is as good as they are promoting it to be....while the land looks great, I'm still not 100% sold that this will be a fantastic ride. Just a little bit of my nervous skepticism.
    Stockholder and Walt Disney Autograph holder!!

• I'm Theme Park Happy!

Yeah, mater's voice and songs are going to drive me nuts in the que. Thanks for the heads up. Gonna take my ipod and try to tune him out ONLY if I've had too much Mater in the line.

Thanks for the coverage. I expect they'll show the ride tonight during America's Funniest Home Videos season finale.
    Micoofy Duck
    Disney Theme Park Fan #4,584,376
    http://www.micoofy.com

• Toad Hall

I said it before but I think that maters will be a hit once people ride it
    <font size=4> </font>

• Minion

I wonder why Mater's Junkyard Jamboree was not mentioned in the commercial when is getting such positive feedback so far.

Larry the Cable Guy. Am I the only one that hears that voice and immediately recoils like fingernails across a blackboard?
    Writing about all things Disney, a couple of paragraphs at a time

http://disneylandtraveler.blogspot.com/

75,000+ page views and counting.

• Banned User

I'm surprised that preview pics haven't popped up online yet, with so many previews.

Quote Originally Posted by DisneylandTraveler View Post
    Larry the Cable Guy. Am I the only one that hears that voice and immediately recoils like fingernails across a blackboard?
    I'm right there with you on this. A little of that guy goes a long, long way.

• Support MC - Go GOLD!

in other words
    if tea cups make you sick
    Mater will do the same thing?
    Quote by Al:
    To that end I'd like the Internet community to join me in reminding the Disney company that "it all started with Walt." As you can see below we've created some T-shirts, plus a few simple graphics that you can copy and paste into your websites to let folks know how you feel.
    -Al Lutz

• Disney is home

Quote Originally Posted by Dirton View Post
    I'm surprised that preview pics haven't popped up online yet, with so many previews.
    It's becasuse there are signs that specifically say no pictures or any type of recording permitted at any time. Technically it also says you aren't suppose to share your ride experience any social sites or fan boards. The reason you haven't seen any pictures, is because if you are caught taking pictures, you will most likely lose your job.

So if they are holding CM previews for RSR (albeit an hour, but there will be more), does that mean that they have figured out the technical problems with the figures in the show building Al mentioned or do they feel like the CMs won't care?

Quote Originally Posted by Micoofy Duck View Post
    Yeah, mater's voice and songs are going to drive me nuts in the que. Thanks for the heads up. Gonna take my ipod and try to tune him out ONLY if I've had too much Mater in the line.

YEP. i was at DCA last night too while this testing was going on, and you could hear mater singing as you were walking past. it was only about 20 seconds in and i couldn't take it anymore. i stayed listening for about 5-10 minutes since i wanted to get a better idea of it all. i appreciate the effort put into the music and all, but it was just too much.

granted, i'm not a mater or larry the cable guy fan, so perhaps it won't be so bad for others, but i just couldn't stand it. mater was fine in small increments in the movie (at least in the original, cars 2 was a whole different story) but this constant exposure to mater here in the ride is something i'm not gonna be able to stand.

• Toad Hall

Last edited by WildForMrToad; 05-20-2012 at 01:10 PM.
    <font size=4> </font>

Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast