Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Where to put Captain Hook's Pirate Ship & Skull Rock Cove at Disneyland now?

^thank you! I don't normally support bringing back old attractions, but this one has a lot of potential to create new experiences with a familiar concept.
    In the quest for quality, I have no problem with the characters footing the bill.

Re: Where to put Captain Hook's Pirate Ship & Skull Rock Cove at Disneyland now?

Quote Originally Posted by whitestrat View Post
    It makes me sad that somehow over time, everything that Disney presents in the parks has been dumbed down, and we are force fed the whole experience.

-This is the part where you are amazed....

-This is the part where you are scared...

-This is the part where you are happy...

-There, you see? That was a "magical memory" that your family will cherish forever. Now, please exit toward the gift shop, and have a magical day!
    Well put! This force-fed MO is what I like least about today's Disneyland. One particular, subtle yet annoying thing I've noticed in the last few years is the way the Park's background music is pumped up. I noticed it especially in the hub area during my last visit. Instead of truly being background music, it was blaring (relatively speaking) in a way that made me feel like it was all part of this spoon-fed, "come on get happy, this is magical and we're gonna turn up the volume to the point that you can't ignore this upbeat music and you WILL be happy now!"

I don't need this much stimulation to be truly happy in Walt's little park. Turn it way down already! That music should be almost subliminal. Just let the ambient sounds of people naturally having a good time, the chirping of the birds, the clopping of the horse hooves, and the chortle of one of the Main Street vehicles become the prominent score.

On the Eastern Shore of Mobile Bay, Alabama

Quote Originally Posted by Werner View Post
    Hey that's very clever! Hadn't ever thought about that location. The Skull Rock/Pirate Ship setting always seemed to be a Fantasyland one, but the Frontierland one makes sense: re-invigorates the Island and its derelict Fort Wilderness -- infusing Frontierland with new energy (the need for which has been discussed in other threads), while bringing back a beloved attraction without having to "shoehorn" it into the Fantasyland/Tomorrowland area.
    Hey Penrar and Werner; terrific ideas!

Since Disney's bringing the Pirates theme to Tom Sawyer Island with Pirate's Lair, Captain Hook's Pirate Ship & Skull Rock Cove seem like "naturals" for this unused end of the Island!

Although the Island is closed at dusk, perhaps we'd get an impressive nighttime view of Skull Rock from a distance, looking out across Rivers of America.

• Minion

The "old Disneyland" was: come up with original, imaginative ideas, things that the public had never seen before, don't force-feed or spoon-feed the experience, make the guest feel like a participant, let the guest absorb, participate in and interpret the experience on their own terms, set the trends in family entertaimnent. The "new Disneyland" seems to be primarily: copy existing ideas, tie everything to merchandising plans, sell added-value, extra cost packages, spoon feed the experience so the guest is just a specator, not a participant, and follow trends in family entertainment rather than setting them.

• "What? What?"

Quote Originally Posted by The Bob's Sock View Post
    I think progress is not bringing things back but coming up with new better ideas.
    Agreed. I like it much better when the reference an old attraction or thing from the past.... sorta like a hidden mickey. No reason to jus tbring all old stuff back.
    @FromMatterhorn on Twitter

Looking at the satellite map, Fantasyland could be expanded into the Big Thunder Ranch area which seems to be kind of a temporary stage/show area when Carnation Plaza Gardens closed last month.

• Hooterville, USA

Who cares what others think, it's a wonderful idea to bring back Skull Rock!

Just because someone was stupid to remove it in the first place, doesn't mean it should be gone forever. That's why we have erasers on our pencils.

Or, "restore" on our computers.

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

Great point Druggas! I love your attitude!

And after all, Disney's Theme this year is:

"Let the Memories Begin!"

(Now, where would you locate Captain Hook's Pirate Ship and Skull Rock Cove . . . ?)

Just noticed that it could replace Fantasyland Theater . . . .
    Last edited by 4KenTheRoad; 05-22-2012 at 02:01 PM.

• Minion

ORDDU: I think the pirate ship and skull rock should never have been taken away to begin with so the idea of bringing them back is the best idea anyone has come up with in a long time. Just because those attractions were not properly cared for, causing them to fall apart during the Fantasyland renovation, is no excuse to let them go away. Disney should have promptly rebuilt them. Over by the motorboat cruise would be fine. I think they should remain in Fantasyland, since Peter Pan has always been associated with that land.

Thanks WOM!

The more I look at the map, the more it makes sense to place them where Fantasyland Theater now stands.

Given the choice, I'd much rather go to Captain Hook's Pirate Ship & Skull Rock Cove (and merchandise store and restaurant?) than the Fantasyland Theater!

So Disney would likely make more loot to boot!

(I just hope they wouldn't change Captain Hook to look like Jack Sparrow!)

• Minion

ORDDU: I agree. Skull Rock and Captain Hook's Pirate Ship evoked so much magic when still around. It was heartbreaking to have them disappear.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12