Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

On the Eastern Shore of Mobile Bay, Alabama

Where to put Captain Hook's Pirate Ship & Skull Rock Cove at Disneyland now?

Captain Hook's Pirate Ship anchored in Skull Rock Cove --- the best!

It was located where Dumbo the Flying Elephant is now.

An obvious location for its return (similar to, but I imagine even better than the current Disneyland Paris version!) would be where the Motor Boat Cruise used to reside (and let the Imagineers deal with the Monorail track somehow!).

Looking at a Google satellite map, there's plenty of room for the Ship, Skull Rock, the Lagoon, the obligatory merchandise store, and maybe a "Chicken of the Sea" sandwich shop --- or even a restaurant . . . !

Ideas?

• Unhelpful User

Re: Where to put Captain Hook's Pirate Ship & Skull Rock Cove at Disneyland now?

I think progress is not bringing things back but coming up with new better ideas.

Re: Where to put Captain Hook's Pirate Ship & Skull Rock Cove at Disneyland now?

I'm sure you're right (but it's a lot of fun wishing and "planning"!) . . . .

Actually, I bet Disney's had plans for this obviously underused area for a long time now!

• Minion

I loved Skull Rock as a kid and I would love to see that again, for the sake of kids. It was a fun play area. That, the Swiss Family Tree house and Tom Sawyer Island made Disneyland the ultimate playground. I for one would love to see them put Skull Rock in again somewhere. Not everything has to be big, expensive and state-of-the-art in order to be fun and memorable. Sometimes the human imagination is the best "special effect."

• Insomniac

Over by Small World would be perfect IMO.
    Check out my Disney inspired creations.

https://picasaweb.google.com/110319393135337100862

• Minion

They really need to start a new land with an oceanic theme. It would include the area from the submarines north to Small World, and include both of those, since they are both "voyage" attractions. Somewhere in that land, a pirate ship and a Skull Rock play area could be included. I would also have a volcano on the far northeast corner with a nightly eruption show, and a thrill ride inside the volcano.

Amen Bob! That's exactly how I feel too!

If you Google "disneyland skull rock photos," there are a couple of great ones (including an old nighttime scene).

And I prefer Skull Rock as it was at Disneyland, rather than the "stratified" version at Disneyland Paris now.

I think WDW's original ExtraTERRORestrial Alien Encounter was one of the best attractions ever because your own mind and imagination were making it so scary!

---------- Post added 05-21-2012 at 11:17 PM ----------

Great idea(s)

(And your volcano would be another iconic Disney "mountain"!)

I was just looking at the Google satellite map again and it looks like the Autopia track will have to go to "Yesterland" now . . . !
    Last edited by 4KenTheRoad; 05-21-2012 at 08:18 PM. Reason: clarity

• Minion

I think the best-designed attractions, like the best-designed movies, allow for the experience to take place partly in your mind, and allow you to come up with your own interpretation of it. Not just a "show" you ride through that spells out everything for you and everyone draws the same conclusion from. It simply presents the evidence, or provides the stimuli, which you process and create your own individualized experience from. In the original version of Pirates of the Caribbean there were unseen voices while you were going through the dark tunnels, and those voices made me certain a pirate was about to jump out of the shadows and into the boat. Far more effective than just seeing an animatronic pirate. In the Matterhorn, the sound of the Yeti is far spookier than just passing by and seeing it. Injun Joe's Cave was a very simple scene in Disneyland, but effective because we used it to scare each other. Adventure thru Inner Space played with your mind by making you think you were going to be shrunk down to 3 inches tall, and later to the size of an atom. Autopia would be a boring ride - except for the fact that you are driving it, which makes it fun. Even a fun house mirror allows you to make something funny in your mind - while the mirror in and of itself isn't funny. I think the best attractions are a little bit ambiguous and allow you to impose your own interpretation and customize the experience to yourself, rather than just spoon-feeding you the same, identical experience everyone else got.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Weaver View Post
    I think the best-designed attractions, like the best-designed movies, allow for the experience to take place partly in your mind, and allow you to come up with your own interpretation of it. Not just a "show" you ride through that spells out everything for you and everyone draws the same conclusion from. It simply presents the evidence, or provides the stimuli, which you process and create your own individualized experience from. In the original version of Pirates of the Caribbean there were unseen voices while you were going through the dark tunnels, and those voices made me certain a pirate was about to jump out of the shadows and into the boat. Far more effective than just seeing an animatronic pirate. In the Matterhorn, the sound of the Yeti is far spookier than just passing by and seeing it. Injun Joe's Cave was a very simple scene in Disneyland, but effective because we used it to scare each other. Adventure thru Inner Space played with your mind by making you think you were going to be shrunk down to 3 inches tall, and later to the size of an atom. Autopia would be a boring ride - except for the fact that you are driving it, which makes it fun. Even a fun house mirror allows you to make something funny in your mind - while the mirror in and of itself isn't funny. I think the best attractions are a little bit ambiguous and allow you to impose your own interpretation and customize the experience to yourself, rather than just spoon-feeding you the same, identical experience everyone else got.
    Yes indeed! Agree with you 100%! Oh, those dark tunnels in Pirates of the Caribbean...I miss those! What a masterful design, the way it allowed your imagination to take flight and for that area to become far more spooky than it is now. And, it was wonderful in its crescendo from shadow to full-blown battle, with the "reveal" of the pirate ship. The current "Davey Jones" effect cheapens the suspense as it was intended by the original Imagineers.

• Disneyland History Lover

As much as I would like wonderful attractions such as Adventure Thru Inner Space, Mine Train Thru Nature's Wonderland, and Skull Rock to return to Disneyland, I do not see it happening. However, I think Disney sometimes brings small things back when it makes sense to do so. Mr. Lincoln is a huge improvement over the previous show that played in there. Sleeping Beauty Castle was unused until the walktrhough was brought back. And the Matterhorn climbers returning to make the climb is a real surprise and something that is a nice gesture in the wake of the huge refurb. I do see Disney paying homage by replicating certain elements of past attractions into new ones, but not full-on recreations, unfortunately. I think Disney wants to make progress rather than look back, even though much of what has replaced classic attractions has been inferior. Star Tours, Big Thunder Mountain, and the Finding Nemo Submarines are arguably inferior to the attractions they replaced. I think the more show-oriented attractions have the best chance of returning. For example, I can see the Country Bears being brought back in a new show someday; perhaps in DCA. They are unique characters, and they lend themselves to new situations, new surroundings, and new songs.

However, I would love to answer your question.

It is easy, really. Rebuild Skull Rock and the Pirate Ship in the the old Motor Boat Cruise area. Monorial track? No problem. Build a portion of Skull Rock around it so that the Monorail passes through it as a tunnel. The classic elements of the the playground and the restaurant could easily be re-imagined for today's children.

And Bob is correct in that to adults, the power of the imagination is underrated. Children do not see it that way as they have the most vivid imaginations of us all. Children love playgrounds. I know I did. And most of them do not even have theming. It is the imagining that you are a cowboy or a space ranger or a warrior princess that makes the mundane magical. As Walt said, as we grow up and begin our lives as adults, we lose sight of our innocence and the things that brought us joy as children. That was something that was key in his creating of Disneyland. It is something the current management needs to finally remember and not lose sight of. Yes, the audience of today is different than the audience of decades past. True, our attention spans are shorter than ever. And right, we want the most bang for our buck and the feeling that we are keeping busy. That does not mean that a queue has to be made interactive, or that a story has to be spelled out letter by letter, or that there has to be something obnoxious to distract us when we least want it to (Nemo seagulls... I am looking at you). A little faith in people and the value of a good, honest show does far more wonders for the mind than being spoon-fed the flavor of the week.
    Last edited by Princess Victoria; 05-21-2012 at 10:03 PM.

• formerly very helpful

I completely agree, Bob Weaver, Werner, and Princess Victoria. All good points, well said.
    I, too, miss the pirate ship, and it's a shame it couldn't be rescued from the original Fantasyland. My understanding is it was planned to be there, but was actually falling apart.
    However, I'd love to see something different, made with the same care, attention to detail and quality. But what I'd like to see is something that isn't representative of a "new" Disney film or property.
    If it's too new, it just seems like they're trying to market the "latest and greatest." Something that has really proven the test of time. Something that's been around for a few decades, and you know it isn't going away, any time soon, or losing its popularity.
    They waited about 23 years before Little Mermaid got her own ride. I'd say that's about right.

• Minion

Great post, Victoria. Even though our "cherished" attractions of the past shouldn't be rebuilt, they could still use the best elements of them as the basis for new and improved attractions - such as the waterfall-laden Cascade Peak or the beautiful Rainbow Caverns from the Mine Train, or the soundtrack from Adventure thru Inner Space - these could be used as elements of new attractions, while still adding the speed, thrills or high-tech special effects today's kids expect and require. The pirate ship in Fantasyland was also a restaurant and I would be fine if it were recreated as a restaurant - what fun for kids to get to go aboard a pirate ship and even eat lunch served by pirates and even become a pirate themselves before leaving. And Skull Rock just for the play opportunities and to let kids be kids. Kids don't require much to have fun, they use their imaginations.

It makes me sad that somehow over time, everything that Disney presents in the parks has been dumbed down, and we are force fed the whole experience.

-This is the part where you are amazed....

-This is the part where you are scared...

-This is the part where you are happy...

-There, you see? That was a "magical memory" that your family will cherish forever. Now, please exit toward the gift shop, and have a magical day!

Since Tom sawyer's island has been invaded by pirates, why not put skull rock and the ship where the old fort wilderness is? supposedly the area is unsafe and would have to be rebuilt anyway. It would be a nice place to put it since it fits theme wise and the island is a giant play area anyway. Plus it would be cool for the columbia to fire it's cannon at it and have captain hook fire back lol.
    In the quest for quality, I have no problem with the characters footing the bill.

Quote Originally Posted by Pinrar View Post
    Since Tom sawyer's island has been invaded by pirates, why not put skull rock and the ship where the old fort wilderness is? supposedly the area is unsafe and would have to be rebuilt anyway. It would be a nice place to put it since it fits theme wise and the island is a giant play area anyway. Plus it would be cool for the columbia to fire it's cannon at it and have captain hook fire back lol.
    Hey that's very clever! Hadn't ever thought about that location. The Skull Rock/Pirate Ship setting always seemed to be a Fantasyland one, but the Frontierland one makes sense: re-invigorates the Island and its derelict Fort Wilderness -- infusing Frontierland with new energy (the need for which has been discussed in other threads), while bringing back a beloved attraction without having to "shoehorn" it into the Fantasyland/Tomorrowland area.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast