Question Keeping Disneyland Exciting For The Non-Disney Nut?

I need some suggestions on how to keep Disneyland fun and exciting for someone who is not a massive Disney fan. The problem I’m running into is that I’m a huge Disneyland fan, while my partner on the other hand is not. I try to get them to go with me twice a year and it seems harder and harder to get them excited about it. As they put it, “it’s just the same thing.”

Is there anything anyone can suggest that might increase the “fun factor” of Disneyland for them? I was thinking about scavenger hunts or something, but the one the Disney puts out seems somewhat basic/kid/family based.

• Banned User

Re: Keeping Disneyland Exciting For The Non-Disney Nut?

Quote Originally Posted by Dang8 View Post
    Is there anything anyone can suggest that might increase the “fun factor” of Disneyland for them?
    Sometimes, alcohol is the lowest common denominator. I always try to get my "non-Disney" friends a little loose before hitting the parks. For some reason, it's helped people who don't normally enjoy the parks....enjoy the parks!

Disneyland Bar Crawl Guide - Disney Tourist Blog

• Down Pluto!

The obvious solution - don't go with your partner. You are not attached at the wrist and ankles to this person, only emotionally. You are an individual, so go with like-minded individuals. If this is a problem for your partner, maybe consider finding out why.

I am Sambo, and I endorse this signature.

Wow - if they have been there several times and aren't excited about it any longer I'm not sure what can be done. Its the happiest place on Earth!

There is a fair amount of non-Disney specific things to do. Tom Sawyer Island, Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln, The Sailing Ship Columbia, The Mark Twain, New orlean Square, Big Thunder Mountain Railroad, Space Mountain, Innoventions, etc...

Medd63 - I think it's the rides they are actually bored with. So that is why I was thinking a scavenger hunt or something.

Brenden - Alcohol does help in the evenings... just don't like the idea of getting them plastered at 10am.

Sambo - We live about 5hrs away, so by going together we can split the gas. (always helpful) I would love to broaden my group of "like-minded individuals" , especially since the small group I have seem to have $$ or timing issues. Finding more "like-minded individuals" for some odd reason has always been a challange for me. I was able to get in on the Cars Land Blog Meet-up, so hopefully I meet some there.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Quote Originally Posted by Sambo View Post
    The obvious solution - don't go with your partner. You are not attached at the wrist and ankles to this person, only emotionally. You are an individual, so go with like-minded individuals. If this is a problem for your partner, maybe consider finding out why.
    This.

My partner also has the same "problem". But we have other interests that don't necessitate having to go to Disneyland every weekend (we are locals). Since you are coming from such a long distance perhaps there are other things you can do like go To Magic Mountain or Knotts. Mabe even a trip to the beach or the Getty Center -- something quiet like that could give your next trip the variety it needs for it not to get too boring for him/her.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Dang8 View Post
    Brenden - Alcohol does help in the evenings... just don't like the idea of getting them plastered at 10am.
    Obviously! The beer truck doesn't even open until noon.

Yes, BUT the bottles that we can bring to the hotel can be be opened 24/7!

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    This.

My partner also has the same "problem". But we have other interests that don't necessitate having to go to Disneyland every weekend (we are locals). Since you are coming from such a long distance perhaps there are other things you can do like go To Magic Mountain or Knotts. Mabe even a trip to the beach or the Getty Center -- something quiet like that could give your next trip the variety it needs for it not to get too boring for him/her.
    ^^^^^^ THIS !!!

Although my boyfriend is EXTREMELY tollerant of my Disney obsession, he does tend to get bored or 'over it' a few days into the trip. So what we like to do is have him pick out a destination between where we live (nor cal) and Anaheim. This way we can go there on the way to DL or the way home, or even one of the days in the middle of the trip. Just by doing this it keeps him happy and each trip fresh and new. I also allow him to eat, drink, and ride whatever he wants so I don't haveto deal with a temper tantrum (yes 32 year old males have temper tantrums).

• Banned User

Personally i've found that you can't make someone love disneyland, but you can make them love you at disneyland. When im at disneyland i'm pretty much the happiest i can be and that usually makes who've with me have an amazing time. just make the experience fun, not necessarily the destination.

• Senior Minion

Find a new partner.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

• Minion

I don't think there's anything you can do to make or keep Disneyland exciting for a person who doesn't want to be there. The "magic" is in the guest and the park simply provides the environment and stimuli to allow the "magic feeling" to emerge and come into the guest's consciousness. If that feeling isn't there in the first place, there's nothing you can do to make it happen. Dragging that person there may only end up creating resentment that could linger. Just go to Disneyland with people who want to go there. On that same day, have your partner go and do something they want to do, that you don't like, whether it's a hockey game, deep-sea fishing, a NASCAR race or whatever. Then both of you enjoy your days, afterwards you are back together, and everyone ends up happy.

• Bring back the Keelboats!

We took two friends who hadn't been to Disneyland since the 1960's and they weren't what you would call excited, but they did have a good time. I got to play tour guide, which was fun for me.

Does your partner like the shows? Aladdin and Billy Hill. History? Mr Lincoln, or try to get on the Lilly Belle if she is out. Roller coasters?

Hidden Mickey - Historical fiction about Walt that mixes action and mystery with time travel and fantasy! Tweens to adults will enjoy these novels. And now, three gamebooks to play in Disneyland, DCA and WDW Magic Kingdom!

Check out my six action/adventure novels about Walt's lost diary and his epic quest. Visit my blog page!

Sometimes Dead Men DO Tell Tales!