Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Talking They Finally Got It Right DCA 2.0

I am super stoked to see that DCA is finally the park it is meant to be. It has evolved from a dilapidated off the shelf amusement park, to a theme park worthy enough to be neighbors to Disneyland Park. I think it has the longevity it needs to last for atleast another decade or so before they need to do Phase II of the remodel. I cant wait to visit and just soak in the detail of the expansion, although I have one question. Why didn't management do it right the first place? It this was the same era as DisneySea and it still happened. Anyway glad they finally got it right! (Thats my rant for the day )
    WALTER ELIAS DISNEY COMMUNITY OF TOMORROW- WEDCOT

• Banned User

Re: They Finally Got It Right DCA 2.0

There is a list of reasons why DCA 1.0 turned out the way it was, but the main answer is $$$$!! Add to it the team they chose to build DCA that had limited experience in theme parks and more retail, it was a disaster in the making!

And TDS was built that way because Disney didnt spend the money to make it, OLC did, which is the Japanese company that built TDL in the first place. So they spent the money because they wanted a quality theme park that would equal or even top TDL and my god it did! DCA was cynical theme park making on every level. It was purposely designed to be built cheap, but squeeze every dollar it can out of its patrons with multiple stores and high priced restaurants while they spend their time riding cheap carnival rides or watching more movies than a multiplex between their shopping excursions.

But yes, they are FINALLY getting it right! Not completely, but considering the major problems the park had, I say they got rid of 90% of those problems! I think now its safe to say most of us are excited about DCAs future now! I cant wait to see the finished product this summer!

Quote Originally Posted by WorldDisney View Post
    There is a list of reasons why DCA 1.0 turned out the way it was, but the main answer is $$$$!! Add to it the team they chose to build DCA that had limited experience in theme parks and more retail, it was a disaster in the making!

And TDS was built that way because Disney didnt spend the money to make it, OLC did, which is the Japanese company that built TDL in the first place. So they spent the money because they wanted a quality theme park that would equal or even top TDL and my god it did! DCA was cynical theme park making on every level. It was purposely designed to be built cheap, but squeeze every dollar it can out of its patrons with multiple stores and high priced restaurants while they spend their time riding cheap carnival rides or watching more movies than a multiplex between their shopping excursions.

But yes, they are FINALLY getting it right! Not completely, but considering the major problems the park had, I say they got rid of 90% of those problems! I think now its safe to say most of us are excited about DCAs future now! I cant wait to see the finished product this summer!
    That was a great detailed reply, thanks! The Oriental Land Company did a great job with DisneySea, maybe they should be the ones to build the third gate.
    WALTER ELIAS DISNEY COMMUNITY OF TOMORROW- WEDCOT

• Senior Minion

I agree that it's on the right path, and I suppose it's an adequate neighbor now. But I still think that much of phase two needs to happen to make it truly a world-class park. But other then Epcot and TDS, all the second gates are not yet world class parks. And even Epcot is not as good as it was/could be.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
    I agree that it's on the right path, and I suppose it's an adequate neighbor now. But I still think that much of phase two needs to happen to make it truly a world-class park. But other then Epcot and TDS, all the second gates are not yet world class parks. And even Epcot is not as good as it was/could be.
    The solution is thrill rides
    "I would rather entertain and hope that people learned something, than educate people and hope they were entertained" - Walt Disney

Even with BVS and CL opening I just dont feel that it is a full day park yet. I love the direction their going in though.

• Sock Puppet

I'm glad it's getting way better, but it may never really live up to what it should be. A house is only as good as it's foundation, and the DCA foundation is subpar, with a bad park layout, a big hotel intruding on it, and no berm.

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

A better park then many others.....if they keep on this path it will be considered one of the greater parks...which is kinda ironic with its history but really once more of the "empty" space is used for great attractions then yeah it will become more then a worthy neighbor

• Vidia's Minion

Name:  ghi495432LARGE.jpg
Views: 247
Size:  203.3 KB

enough said

• Sock Puppet

Why can't they merge the two parks into one? Turn the esplanade into a new land or an extension of Main Street.

Most people who visit have multii-park tickets or AP's. Eliminating the barrier between the two parks would save guests an enormous amount of time and it would open up space for new attractions and shops.

It's bittersweet.

I always enjoyed DCA. It was nice not having to deal with huge huge crowds when waiting for many of their limited attractions.

Carsland is going to fill that place up! I foresee a 2.5 hour wait for Grizzly all summer!
    Disneyland and Haunted Mansion fan boy!

Universal Studios Hollywood Employee

• Sock Puppet

Quote Originally Posted by Linus View Post
    It's bittersweet.

I always enjoyed DCA. It was nice not having to deal with huge huge crowds when waiting for many of their limited attractions.

Carsland is going to fill that place up! I foresee a 2.5 hour wait for Grizzly all summer!
    Simple solution - replace fast passes with premium fast passes. Charge $.50 each and the number of coupons per attraction would vary during the day based on demand. When lines are two or more hours long, it could cost as much as three or four coupons per ride.

Advantages: 1. Disney has another source of income and could use this to offset ticket and AP price increases. 2. Fewer people using fast passes means shorter waits for those who really want them.

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by Mousepoop View Post
    Why can't they merge the two parks into one? Turn the esplanade into a new land or an extension of Main Street.

Most people who visit have multii-park tickets or AP's. Eliminating the barrier between the two parks would save guests an enormous amount of time and it would open up space for new attractions and shops.
    Because advertising TWO parks sounds like much more than one park.. no matter how big it is.

When people think there are TWO parks to visit.. they wonder how much more time they need to stay to visit both parks

When people think there are TWO parks.. it's easier to justify a higher price when comparing to another place that is only ONE park

It's all about perception and shaping people's impressions. 'Two parks instead of one' will instantly be computable for a potential customer. Trying to tell them 'its one park, but you really need more days to see it all' is something you can only argue with a customer once you are talking to them.

And separate parks allows for easy separation of feel, look, operations, etc.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• "What? What?"

I don't think I'll even get on Toy Story Mania ever again. It's alwasy way too long a line. Last Sunday it was rediculas. People keep saying Carsland will soak up guests, but I don't think so. I think it's going to bring more people into the park, who arent going to like the long lines at Cars land, and then move on to other rides making all the lines longer. DCA will be nuts this year.

@FromMatterhorn on Twitter & Instagram

• Sock Puppet

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    Because advertising TWO parks sounds like much more than one park.. no matter how big it is.

When people think there are TWO parks to visit.. they wonder how much more time they need to stay to visit both parks

When people think there are TWO parks.. it's easier to justify a higher price when comparing to another place that is only ONE park

It's all about perception and shaping people's impressions. 'Two parks instead of one' will instantly be computable for a potential customer. Trying to tell them 'its one park, but you really need more days to see it all' is something you can only argue with a customer once you are talking to them.

And separate parks allows for easy separation of feel, look, operations, etc.
    They can keep everything as it is now - the name,, advertising, themes, etc. The only change would be lack of a barrier between the two parks and reuse of the esplanade for new attractions and shops.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast