Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 55
  1. #16

    • Don't Mess With The Duck!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Santa Rosa, California - USA
    Posts
    3,644

    Re: DLR Guest Relations...What Happened?!?

    If anybody ever would like to write a letter (not e-mail) to Disneyland's Guest Communications about an experience (positive or negative), please do so to the following address:

    The Disneyland Resort
    Attn: Guest Communications
    P.O. Box 3232
    Anaheim, CA 92803-3232

    Take care.

  2. #17

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    616

    Re: DLR Guest Relations...What Happened?!?

    I think customer service is a problem everywhere. I think Disneyland's issue is just a microcosm of the problem everywhere. The people coming into these types of jobs are not very skilled and have a sense of entitlement. Of course I don't mean everyone, but service is a problem everywhere.

    On the other hand, there are more and more a-holes (excuse my language) than ever before. As someone who worked retail for a long time, it can be extremely difficult to be berated by someone when you know you're right, especially when you're not making very much. I've had people go off on me, scream at me, call me names, tell me I'm worthless when there was nothing I could do. Some situations it was possible to break store policy, risk being fired, and help them. Sometimes I could literally do nothing other than to tell them I would take care of it on my day off (I was working weekends and taking 19 quarter units durng the week finishing my BA), even though I had to commute to school on top of it. Even that wasn't enough.

    So on a larger scale, when you deal with 100 of those people a day, like at Disneyland, even if you're well-trained, it's just human nature to be fed up with it.

    Further, we tend to notice less when things go smoothly. When people are doing their jobs EXACTLY like they should be doing them, we don't notice them. They rarely get their rightful praise in comparison to complaints. It adds up.

    The biggest problem I have is when people aren't trained to do the simplest things, especially when the policy is idiotic. My parents were contemplating getting passes again, and when I told them about the price increase they decided to do it and save money. They printed everything out, and since I didn't get a sub teaching job for the day, I went with them a few days later to get the passes. Since I knew APs were done at the ticketbooths now, the directions on the printout were misleading. They said to go to the gate, show the printout, they'd get their ticket at the gate. Another print out said that they would then proceed to the AP center and get their passes. That seemed wrong since, in this scenario, they'd have to walk back OUT of the gate to go get their passes. I figured the directions must be the same for all printouts, and on the other printout they must not have updated it.

    So after bag check I went directly to a CM and explained our dilemma. She told us that yes, we could just wait in line at the booth and do it all there. So we waited....and waited...and the guests at the windows were sssslllloooowww and annoying me. When I go places, I research it as MUCH as possible so I can walk in and either do my business, or I know what I will decided depending upon the answers to the questions that I prepare. Apparently, not many other people do this. So we waited a good 30 minutes. A group was led by a plaid CM and they cut in line. And we waited.

    We got up to the window only to find out we had to go to the gate, get a temp ticket, then come back and wait in line to get the AP. How stupid is that?

    This HAS to be basic stuff for the CMs in and around the ticketbooth controlling the lines. But it's likely not their fault--it's likely the fault of the training or superior.

  3. #18

    • Senior Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    9,173

    Re: DLR Guest Relations...What Happened?!?

    Quote Originally Posted by loungefly97 View Post
    This HAS to be basic stuff for the CMs in and around the ticketbooth controlling the lines. But it's likely not their fault--it's likely the fault of the training or superior.
    Exactly. As was posted by someone who knows:

    Quote Originally Posted by Westsider View Post
    ...people still seem to think that CM's are actually trained on how to be "nice" to people, or given basic expectations of politeness, or taught tactics and nuances of providing good customer service. No such training exists in any meaningful way.

    ...The training materials and techniques belched out by the bloated and pathetic "Disney University" training department in 2012 are worthless, and do absolutely nothing to set forth any sort of customer service standard CM's should live up to, let alone actually teach 18 year old Joe from Monrovia, CA how to handle any specific customer service situation.

    The first day of Traditions, and the second day of Welcome To Park Operations touches briefly on customer service. But it does so in such a bland, corporate-speak, TDA-cubicle created way that it is practically meaningless. And God forbid you actually lay out the concept of actual standards that someone would live up to! That is too advanced for TDA's Disney University group, and they are busy sitting in TDA far removed from the actual operation of the park to even consider such a silly thing.

    I find it humorous that people are confronted by poor customer service and then expect that there is still some sort of training program that would have prevented it had the CM in question only been paying attention. There is no such training. The times you receive good customer service by a front line host or hostess is due more in part to the upbringing that CM received from their parents, and/or perhaps a particularly good Lead who is supervising that location and leading great performances.

    But nothing the Disney University has done in the last 10 years will have had any impact on the good customer service you receive in the parks. The times you get bad customer service is more the fault of Disney University, but only because they don't really do anything to try and correct it from the starting point of OJT.
    It's particularly sad for those of us who grew up with the Disneyland of the 50s, 60s and 70s -- a time when the training, professionalism and maturity of Disneyland's onstage personnel was written about worldwide as a gold standard of customer service.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

    - Neil Gabler


  4. #19

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Mohave Valley AZ
    Posts
    259

    Re: DLR Guest Relations...What Happened?!?

    Quote Originally Posted by Quacky4Donald View Post
    If anybody ever would like to write a letter (not e-mail) to Disneyland's Guest Communications about an experience (positive or negative), please do so to the following address:

    The Disneyland Resort
    Attn: Guest Communications
    P.O. Box 3232
    Anaheim, CA 92803-3232

    Take care.
    lets all try to send something positeve to them maby that would help if all they get is things people think they did wrong then they will become negitave and get worse but if we can find something they did right send that in it will give them something to build on and want to do right the next timeas a custome lets try to be more positave and happy it will rub off like at the store on the day after thanksgiving if you give that little smile and say think you your did a great job then maby the next customer will have a better experence becouse you were positave.

  5. #20

    • Elven Queen of Caffeine
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Mordor, CA
    Posts
    1,648

    Re: DLR Guest Relations...What Happened?!?

    Quote Originally Posted by booth22 View Post
    Did you just get a new pass too? Just curious if we're in the exact same situation- I did the print at home option for our new APs, and they've told me without the actual pass# they can do nothing, despite the fact I've paid for it and will have the ticket on the day I need to present it....
    No, I upgraded at the park....and yeah that is another flaw with this system. Sorry and best of luck to you!

    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Noty View Post
    Did you ask to talk to their lead?
    No, I didn't, and I should have, I realize that. The server I talked to personally, but she was running around like a crazy person because the seaters sat her four tables within five minutes (which she handled beautifully, which is what I told her) and I didn't want to bother her again. The HM CM...well, I never know how to approach someone who is so totally in character - I don't want to get them in trouble either, and I'm never sure what to do about breaking that perfect performance. So perhaps I should have been more assertive in both cases. Duly noted.

    Quote Originally Posted by brenden View Post
    Did they recount their experience with 'the best server at Blue Bayou' on MiceChat? Or the great experience they had on the Haunted Mansion?

    ---------- Post added 05-24-2012 at 12:50 PM ----------



    You're definitely not alone. We all have experienced bad customer service at one point or another. I don't think you need to list your grievances, but I was replying based on how your post reads. (Your example of not getting your way the way you expected to get your way is basically your main complaint.)
    I must admit I am growing frustrated. I feel like I am being clear, but I feel that you are picking up on my side comments and ignoring my main points. I did not post on MC about the fabulous experiences I had (except perhaps in this thread, which apparently doesn't count) mostly because I have avoided the forums here for several months for various reasons that I am now being reminded of. My "example of not getting my way" was not simply me being a whiny baby and pouting in public...it was, by the standards I have been trained to, an example of bad customer service. I mentioned perhaps needing to list my grievances because I feel that you are trying to rip apart the example I gave instead of recognizing that it is part of an ongoing trend...which is why I asked if others had experienced a decreased level of customer service at Disney. I am ready to believe that I have had a series of unfortunate events and that Disney is providing everyone else with the level of customer service that I experienced 20-ish years ago (however unlikely I find that). If you need more examples by all means PM me and I'll list them for you. I am curious though, did you deal with Disney 20 years ago and have not noticed a difference? Or are you playing devil's advocate? I'm trying to figure out your angle, since you seem to be so offended by my OP, and it wasn't meant to be offensive.

  6. #21

    • Senior Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    9,173

    Re: DLR Guest Relations...What Happened?!?

    Quote Originally Posted by LadyNimrodelle View Post
    I am curious though, did you deal with Disney 20 years ago and have not noticed a difference? Or are you playing devil's advocate? I'm trying to figure out your angle, since you seem to be so offended by my OP, and it wasn't meant to be offensive.
    I enjoy MiceChat for many reasons, one of which is their philosophy that all opinions of Disney are welcome -- criticisms as well as compliments. MiceChat moderators and administrators have mentioned it in their posts many times (often when reminding members that "criticizing Disney critics" -- in all its variations -- is not allowed under the MiceChat posting rules).

    IMO your OP was very well written and deserves absolutely no criticism, dissection or invalidation -- nor does your motive for posting, how you handled the situation, or anything else ancillary to your post or what you experienced.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

    - Neil Gabler


  7. #22

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    1,948

    Re: DLR Guest Relations...What Happened?!?

    Quote Originally Posted by LadyNimrodelle View Post
    I must admit I am growing frustrated. I feel like I am being clear, but I feel that you are picking up on my side comments and ignoring my main points. I did not post on MC about the fabulous experiences I had (except perhaps in this thread, which apparently doesn't count) mostly because I have avoided the forums here for several months for various reasons that I am now being reminded of. My "example of not getting my way" was not simply me being a whiny baby and pouting in public...it was, by the standards I have been trained to, an example of bad customer service. I mentioned perhaps needing to list my grievances because I feel that you are trying to rip apart the example I gave instead of recognizing that it is part of an ongoing trend...which is why I asked if others had experienced a decreased level of customer service at Disney. I am ready to believe that I have had a series of unfortunate events and that Disney is providing everyone else with the level of customer service that I experienced 20-ish years ago (however unlikely I find that). If you need more examples by all means PM me and I'll list them for you. I am curious though, did you deal with Disney 20 years ago and have not noticed a difference? Or are you playing devil's advocate? I'm trying to figure out your angle, since you seem to be so offended by my OP, and it wasn't meant to be offensive.
    I didn't mean to offend you. I didn't say that you were being a 'whiny baby.' When I said you didn't get your way, I added that you didn't get your way the way you expected to. That's all. We all have expectations and when they're not met, we get mad. I totally understand how that goes, it's happened to all of us. I guess these days, I put aside my natural inclination for instant gratification and think about how there's so much going on that I don't know about (or even consider) as a guest...so I try to be a little more understanding.

    When you say "I feel that you are trying to rip apart the example I gave instead of recognizing that it is part of an ongoing trend," it's absolute. Basically, "you're right, I'm wrong." I disagree, I don't recognize it as an ongoing trend (based on the single example you provided) but a frustrating blip in an entirely new, bureaucratic process for a newly introduced concept for the AP program.

    I haven't dealt with Disney 20 years ago, but I do know that in the many years I've been an AP, I can only recall one similarly frustrating ticket booth experience. I have no angle, it's just a discussion. Let's put the claws away!

  8. #23

    • Senior Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    9,173

    Re: DLR Guest Relations...What Happened?!?

    Quote Originally Posted by brenden View Post
    I haven't dealt with Disney 20 years ago, but I do know that in the many years I've been an AP, I can only recall one similarly frustrating ticket booth experience.
    The OP specifically asked about the decline of customer service relative to 20 years ago.

    Those of us who were frequent Disneyland customers in the pre-Eisner years can attest to the pronounced drop in quality of customer service since that time.

    As the numerous similar posts in this forum have documented in the last seven years, what the OP experienced was not an accident, a rarity, a coincidence or bad luck. And what she did about it at the time of the incident or afterward is irrelevant to the question she asked in her OP.
    Last edited by Mr Wiggins; 05-24-2012 at 01:33 PM.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

    - Neil Gabler


  9. #24

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    1,948

    Re: DLR Guest Relations...What Happened?!?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    The OP specifically asked about the decline of customer service relative to 20 years ago.

    Those of us who were frequent Disneyland customers in the pre-Eisner years can attest to the pronounced drop in quality of customer service since that time -- as the numerous posts and threads on this topic document.
    We all get it. Disneyland isn't the same as it was 20-40 years ago. Your exhausting campaign to make sure everyone knows just how much you dislike every change since Eisner is verily transparent. I already detailed my side of the discussion above, feel free to read the rest of it.

  10. #25

    • Elven Queen of Caffeine
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Mordor, CA
    Posts
    1,648

    Re: DLR Guest Relations...What Happened?!?

    Quote Originally Posted by brenden View Post
    I didn't mean to offend you. I didn't say that you were being a 'whiny baby.' When I said you didn't get your way, I added that you didn't get your way the way you expected to. That's all. We all have expectations and when they're not met, we get mad. I totally understand how that goes, it's happened to all of us. I guess these days, I put aside my natural inclination for instant gratification and think about how there's so much going on that I don't know about (or even consider) as a guest...so I try to be a little more understanding.

    When you say "I feel that you are trying to rip apart the example I gave instead of recognizing that it is part of an ongoing trend," it's absolute. Basically, "you're right, I'm wrong." I disagree, I don't recognize it as an ongoing trend (based on the single example you provided) but a frustrating blip in an entirely new, bureaucratic process for a newly introduced concept for the AP program.

    I haven't dealt with Disney 20 years ago, but I do know that in the many years I've been an AP, I can only recall one similarly frustrating ticket booth experience. I have no angle, it's just a discussion. Let's put the claws away!
    No claws out. I'm not offended. I'm becoming frustrated, but I am not attempting to attack you.

    I feel this is needed:
    ex·am·ple


    noun1.one of a number of things, or a part of something, taken to show the character of the whole.




    I have numerous experiences with DLR Guest Relations that I could (but won't) list here that are part of my overall point that customer service has declined. I am not trying to speak in absolutes, but to express an opinion - in my experience it is an ongoing trend. Clearly it is an opinion that you do not share. That is fine. But please note that I did not start this thread to complain that I couldn't get Early Entry smoothly. You didn't call me a whiny baby, but I would call myself that if that had been the dedicated point of a thread I started on MC.

  11. #26

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    1,948

    Re: DLR Guest Relations...What Happened?!?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    As the numerous similar posts in this forum have documented in the last seven years, what the OP experienced was not an accident, a rarity, a coincidence or bad luck. And what she did about it at the time of the incident or afterward is irrelevant to the question she asked in her OP.
    And as numerous people have pointed out - how often is praise discussed? Of course there are numerous posts "documenting" ONE SIDE of unfortunate incidents in the parks. Does Disney ever get a chance to explain their side of things? No. I'm sorry if my experience with customer service left me slightly skeptical about the integrity of typical customer complaints. I'm sorry if I don't immediately accept your THEORY that Disney's on the decline because you have links of people complaining about something on the internet.

    Again, I offer the consideration of this particular incident as being a blip in a new system. I'm sorry you have such a difficult time giving Disney the benefit of the doubt from time to time.

    ---------- Post added 05-24-2012 at 03:00 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by LadyNimrodelle View Post
    I feel this is needed:
    ex·am·ple
    noun1.one of a number of things, or a part of something, taken to show the character of the whole.

    I have numerous experiences with DLR Guest Relations that I could (but won't) list here that are part of my overall point that customer service has declined. I am not trying to speak in absolutes, but to express an opinion - in my experience it is an ongoing trend. Clearly it is an opinion that you do not share. That is fine. But please note that I did not start this thread to complain that I couldn't get Early Entry smoothly. You didn't call me a whiny baby, but I would call myself that if that had been the dedicated point of a thread I started on MC.
    Believe me, I completely understand that it's an example. I guess I don't agree that your example demonstrates a decline in quality. And even though you prefaced your topic of decline with two or three mentions of the recent price increases, I know you didn't start this thread to complain.
    Last edited by brenden; 05-24-2012 at 02:02 PM.

  12. #27

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    3,459

    Re: DLR Guest Relations...What Happened?!?

    Customer service is a problem everywhere, as the above poster stated. We've lost manufacturing and engineering, and supposedly have a "service economy" now, except there's no service, only at high-end businesses that cater to wealthy customers. The quality of customer service and guest interaction at Disneyland has declined dramatically since the 1960s and 1970s, but I don't think today's customers really expect it to be all that great these days. And the company knows that. They are still charging a premium price, based on Disneyland's reputation, but they are not doing the things that built that reputation. Eventually the reputation will erode, and they will no longer be able to charge a premium price, but it may take another generation for that to happen.

  13. #28

    • Nerd
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Posts
    2,366

    Re: DLR Guest Relations...What Happened?!?

    one thing that has changed, and is changing faster than most anyone can keep up with it technology. purchasing tickets online, various types of ticket media from freebies, to buying them at the market, to online purchases and guests that don't read the instructions and bring int he wrong paperwork. Websites that go down, glitches, companies like expedia who's systems don't merge properly with Disney's. training, etc etc etc...the list is endless.

    I know for a fact that Disney trys very hard to provide the best service possible. but not every CM at every phone center can solve every problem at every moment...there are soooo many scenarios in fact too many to describe, and too many technological variations that can go wrong. I'm here to tell you the most CM's really do care. The company Disney really does care and works on this stuff everyday. Other than that. you can't please all the people all the time...so goes the world.
    Hidden Mickey - Tower of Terror



    Hidden Mickey's here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/whatzup...7623565921220/
    Check out my Wal't Apartment tour here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/whatzup/sets/72157625183415995/

  14. #29

    • Junior Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    26

    Re: DLR Guest Relations...What Happened?!?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    The OP specifically asked about the decline of customer service relative to 20 years ago.

    Those of us who were frequent Disneyland customers in the pre-Eisner years can attest to the pronounced drop in quality of customer service since that time.

    As the numerous similar posts in this forum have documented in the last seven years, what the OP experienced was not an accident, a rarity, a coincidence or bad luck. And what she did about it at the time of the incident or afterward is irrelevant to the question she asked in her OP.

    It seems like you're saying those who haven't been going to the parks for the past 20 years shouldn't participate in this topic since they aren't subject matter experts. And if theirs is a different opinion, it's not valid because it doesn't have 20 years worth of park visiting experience to back it up.

  15. #30

    • Senior Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    9,173

    Re: DLR Guest Relations...What Happened?!?

    Quote Originally Posted by makhbff View Post
    It seems like you're saying those who haven't been going to the parks for the past 20 years shouldn't participate in this topic since they aren't subject matter experts. And if theirs is a different opinion, it's not valid because it doesn't have 20 years worth of park visiting experience to back it up.
    Nope. That's not what I'm saying at all. I'm saying that the OP asked if other people think Disney's customer service has taken a major downward turn in the last 20 years, and I'm saying that in the view of many people who have been visiting Disneyland for more than 20 years, it most definitely has. And I offered in support of that view my personal experience as a long-time Disneyland visitor, and a link to a post by a Disneyland CM who is knowledgeable in the details of current Disneyland training (or lack of training).

    If people who have been visiting Disneyland a shorter period of time want to post their opinion of Disney customer service, or anything else Disney-related, they're absolutely welcome to do so on this forum. As I stated in a previous post, one of the great things about MiceChat is that all opinions of Disney are welcome to be aired here.

    Now, I and others may not believe their opinion, based on our personal experience at Disneyland over the decades, but that's entirely another discussion; it says nothing about their right to post whatever they wish to post (as long as it's not personal comments, asides, labeling, namecalling, attacks or snark, per MiceChat's posting rules).
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

    - Neil Gabler


Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. [Question] What kind of DLR guest are you?
    By Sorcerer's Apprentice in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 10-22-2010, 01:43 PM
  2. [Chat] What a joke! (Guest Relations Letter)
    By Walt Jr. in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 110
    Last Post: 07-12-2008, 06:58 PM
  3. What happened to the updates?
    By SJSman in forum MiceAge Discussions
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 03-08-2005, 08:45 AM
  4. What happened to Liberty Street and Edison Square?
    By MasterGracey in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 02-28-2005, 08:42 PM
  5. Ever Wonder What Happened To Tommy Kirk?
    By desertdweller in forum MiceChat News Archive
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-27-2005, 02:05 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •