Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Still Dizzy

Business Idea - AP Babysitters

Just had a totally random idea that I wouldn't do, but I think would be a cool business.

Licensed babysitters who have Disney Annual Passes who could watch your kids at the park during a vacation. I got the idea from the new Parkwise article with the section on having a Date Night. You could get a group of 18-20 something's, who are passholders, who would take your kids to Disneyland while you have a date with your SO.

With all of the adult oriented offerings like Napa Rose, Carthay, swing night (when it comes back), and just getting away from the kids for a bit, I think it would be a great idea. That way you don't have the possible guilt of going on a family vacation but leaving the kids in the hotel babysitting and you can get away for a bit.

What do you guys think?

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

Re: Business Idea - AP Babysitters

I'm kinda surprised Disney does not offer some kinda service like this but I guess it might not be worth the price to deal with some difficult kids you might get stuck with

• Still Dizzy

Quote Originally Posted by JerrodDRagon View Post
    I'm kinda surprised Disney does not offer some kinda service like this but I guess it might not be worth the price to deal with some very nasty bras you might get stuck with
    I think the official disney hotels offer a babysitting service, but it's all within the hotel activities. They don't take the kids out to the park.

• Banned User

I don't have a kid, but I don't think I'd trust a random 18-20 year old with mine at Disneyland, if I did. I like your idea for getting rid of kids for a bit, though. Maybe something similar to the youth clubs that they offer on the cruise ships: Youth Clubs | Kids Cruise Activities | Disney Cruise Line

• Elven Queen of Caffeine

Well, there is this at the GCH:

Pinocchio's Workshop

Enjoy a night out while children ages 5 to 12 are treated to a fun evening of arts and crafts, computer games, Disney films, dinner and snacks in this licensed child activity center. Guests over 18 may make a reservation by stopping by Guest Services or calling (714) 635-2300.

I'm not sure if its only for guests of the hotels, but they do offer something.

Though your idea sounds great for those who can't afford to stay on property!

• Still Dizzy

Quote Originally Posted by brenden View Post
    I don't have a kid, but I don't think I'd trust a random 18-20 year old with mine at Disneyland, if I did. I like your idea for getting rid of kids for a bit, though. Maybe something similar to the youth clubs that they offer on the cruise ships: Youth Clubs | Kids Cruise Activities | Disney Cruise Line
    That's why it would be marketed as only licensed babysitters with CPR certification, background checks. Maybe get kids from the local community colleges who are going for childcare certificates/early childhood education, etc. Parents get random babysitters from babysitting services all the time. There's quite a few business with this model, just none that are aimed at the vacationing disney family.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Juni View Post
    That's why it would be marketed as only licensed babysitters with CPR certification, background checks. Maybe get kids from the local community colleges who are going for childcare certificates/early childhood education, etc. Parents get random babysitters from babysitting services all the time. There's quite a few business with this model, just none that are aimed at the vacationing disney family.
    I definitely think it's a great idea, but there's a difference between inviting a babysitter into your home for a few hours and trusting your child with a stranger in a theme park. I guess there are day camps and stuff that visit, though, with people who probably AREN'T certified supervising groups of kids.

• "What? What?"

They couldn't do baby sitting in the park... It would be WAY too much of a liability. And if someone started it independently, I think Disney would put a stop to it pretty quickly. Again, too much of a liability.
    @FromMatterhorn on Twitter

• Still Dizzy

Quote Originally Posted by ArchimedesWhatWhat View Post
    They couldn't do baby sitting in the park... It would be WAY too much of a liability. And if someone started it independently, I think Disney would put a stop to it pretty quickly. Again, too much of a liability.
    How would it be a liability on Disney, and how would they even know if a guest coming in the park was a babysitter or not?

It'd be the same sort of thing as a day care bringing their kids to Disney for the day. The day care doesn't make any special arrangements with Disney, they just go.

And I can hire my neighbor kid down the block to take my kid to disney. I could see liability if it was a Disney authorized/sponsored program, but not as an independent. There really would be nothing for them to be able to stop it with.

• "What? What?"

Quote Originally Posted by Juni View Post
    How would it be a liability on Disney, and how would they even know if a guest coming in the park was a babysitter or not?

It'd be the same sort of thing as a day care bringing their kids to Disney for the day. The day care doesn't make any special arrangements with Disney, they just go.

And I can hire my neighbor kid down the block to take my kid to disney. I could see liability if it was a Disney authorized/sponsored program, but not as an independent. There really would be nothing for them to be able to stop it with.
    Of coarse that is different. But you were running a business based inside the park and advertising as a baby sitterin the park, Disney would step in.

If you go baby sit the neighbor kid and take them of coarse there is no issue with that.
    @FromMatterhorn on Twitter

• Still Dizzy

Of coarse that is different. But you were running a business based inside the park and advertising as a baby sitterin the park, Disney would step in.

If you go baby sit the neighbor kid and take them of coarse there is no issue with that.
    I don't think there is absolutely anything disney could "step in" to do about it. It's a private business providing a private service. As long as the babysitter and the charges have the appropriate admissions, then disney has absolutely nothing they could say about it.

• Rock Star Minion

We call these babysitters "Grandparents."

And they either came with us and watch the kids or stayed home with the kids.

And, best part, they were free.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Under that tree again!

I think a big problem would be sitters getting lost, and the trouble the kids would have finding them.

I unfortunately have to agree. While most people are not sue happy, all it takes is one bad apple to spoil this idea.

I worked at a day camp during my summers in college. We had one mother absolutely flip because her very fair, red headed child got a sunburn on the first day of camp (and yes, we did put the sunblock she brought with her on her - and reapplied three times!)

That was just a sunburn - I shudder to think of all the different situations a kid could get into in the park and then have it blamed on a sitter.
    “Walt Disney is a thing, an image that people have . . . I drink and I smoke and there are a lot of other things I do that don’t fit that image. But that image stands for something, and you don’t have to explain to people what it means.”Walt Disney

Follow me on Twitter at WaltsMartini for Disney Happy Hour at any hour!

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Intriguing idea but I for one don't go to Disneyland to get away from my kids.....quite the opposite actually.
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast