Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

• We Want The Redhead

Re: Fond Memories of the Golden Horseshoe Revue

I've written here before about having known Wally since I was a kid back in the late 1960's. He was the first person to ever get me 'backstage' at Disneyland. He would spin incredible stories about his amazing life that got saucier in nature as i got older. He kept those Can-Can girls hopping all of the time with his shenanigans.
    Later in life he started visiting with the Sunday school classes at our local church where he would entertain the kids with his Boag-alloons, card tricks and fancy dances. I was fortunate enough to attend what turned out to be has last performance at a Sunday service where he leaned up against the church piano and performed a little soft shoe.
    I've written here before about visiting him in the nursing home where he spent his final days. As his health went into decline his memory faded, yet whenever i spoke about Disneyland, the Horseshoe or the Tiki Room, he would always perk right up and start reminiscing about Walt or his other cast members. The next thing you knew the halls of the nursing home would be ringing with the sounds of old 'Jose' being stirred from his nap all over again.
    While the DVD you allude to is a nice enough souvenir of the the old Golden Horseshoe Revue, nothing could ever take the place of actually seeing the show in that great theater.
    Thanks for the post.
    First Visit at the age of 12, July 17, 1968.
    First Ride, The Disneyland and Santa Fe Railroad.
    BRING BACK THE PEOPLE MOVER!

• Very Helpful Old Feller

Well, reckon my heart's in Texas but right now I live down N'Olins way...

http://www.jimhillmedia.com/mb/image...-Color-web.jpg
    Howdy Pards,

Well...HiddenMickeyBook...those side boxes were mighty close to the action...

Gosh...the Golden Horseshoe...sure is mighty purty...and a mighty special place to be...
    memories just come flowin' back whenever I walk in the place. I suspect it's the same for a whole lotta folks who remember those glory days of long, long ago in Frontierland.

Adios for now. Talk to ya on down the trail.

Wild Ol' Dan

---------- Post added 05-25-2012 at 06:59 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by ttrocc7007 View Post
    I've written here before about having known Wally since I was a kid back in the late 1960's. He was the first person to ever get me 'backstage' at Disneyland. He would spin incredible stories about his amazing life that got saucier in nature as i got older. He kept those Can-Can girls hopping all of the time with his shenanigans.
    Later in life he started visiting with the Sunday school classes at our local church where he would entertain the kids with his Boag-alloons, card tricks and fancy dances. I was fortunate enough to attend what turned out to be has last performance at a Sunday service where he leaned up against the church piano and performed a little soft shoe.
    I've written here before about visiting him in the nursing home where he spent his final days. As his health went into decline his memory faded, yet whenever i spoke about Disneyland, the Horseshoe or the Tiki Room, he would always perk right up and start reminiscing about Walt or his other cast members. The next thing you knew the halls of the nursing home would be ringing with the sounds of old 'Jose' being stirred from his nap all over again.
    While the DVD you allude to is a nice enough souvenir of the the old Golden Horseshoe Revue, nothing could ever take the place of actually seeing the show in that great theater.
    Thanks for the post.

Howdy ttrocc7007,

What great memories you have.

And I sure agree with ya..."nothing could ever take the place of actually seeing the show in that great theater."

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...GHorseshoe.jpg

Wild Ol' Dan
    Last edited by NeverNeverland; 05-30-2012 at 12:49 PM.
    "I can see the cattle grazin' o'er the hills at early morn…
    I can see the campfires smokin’ at the breaking of the dawn,
    I can hear the bronco's neighin', I can hear the cowboys sing,
    I'd like to be in Texas for the Round-up in the Spring."

• formerly very helpful

I've never had to privilege to see those original performers, but I think what may have made a huge difference back then was Frontierland seemed so much more alive. The Golden Horseshoe helped make it seem like a real, thriving place.

Howdy Pards,

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lr...dfu6o1_500.jpg
    I've never had the priviledge to see those original performers, but I think what may have made a huge difference back then was Frontierland seemed so much more alive. The Golden Horseshoe helped make it seem like a real, thriving place.
    Well, I reckon you are right. There were many things back in those days that "made a huge difference".

Why, just across the way from the Ol' Golden Horseshoe back in them days you could board a genuine, real, authentic, honest-to-gosh, rip-snortin' Stagecoach or covered wagon for a trip out in to the back country...

http://img.auctiva.com/imgdata/7/9/9...8257786_tp.jpg

And, the Indians along the Rivers of America...well...they were a might more lively back in those days ya might say...

http://www.usc.edu/libraries/archive...train_1957.jpg

And that Frontierland backcountry sure was mighty purty...filled with scenery and critters and such...why, folks took to callin' it "Nature's Wonderland" and that it was. Sadly most all that is gone now...

http://losttransmission1.files.wordp...ain-bobcat.jpg
    But, us ol' timers...we got memories...yessir...we surely do.

http://www.yesterland.com/images-sea..._horseshoe.jpg

http://thedisneyblog.com/wp-content/...tty-taylor.jpg

As somebody was sayin' earlier..."Taint just Disneyland history...it's American history."

Wild Ol' Dan
    Last edited by NeverNeverland; 05-30-2012 at 12:54 PM.

https://enterpriseportal.disney.com/..._photo_500.jpg
    Howdy Pards,

Well, here's Wally Boag, Betty Taylor, and Fulton Burley.

Did ya know...the Golden Horseshoe Revue was indeed listed in the Guinness Book of World Records as the longest runnin' live stage production in history? Yep, it surely was.

Fulton Burley left us back on May 7th 2007.

And ya know...it's kinda strange...I reckon the old gang was gettin' back together up there in Heaven or somethin'...cause, Wally went on ahead on June 3rd, 2011...and Betty left us the very next day, June 4th, 2011.

Wally and Betty had spent over three decades entertainin' folks at Disneyland on the Golden Horseshoe stage. Folks say they entertained well over 10,000,000 guests on that stage. Do you have any idea how proud and happy I am to have been one of those 10,000,000 guests? It was a real joy to watch them perform...and I kinda suspect they're still makin' folks happy... up yonder... just beyond the Great Divide...

Wild Ol' Dan
    Last edited by NeverNeverland; 05-30-2012 at 12:54 PM.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by sbk1234:1056765507
    I don't think I ever saw the "original" show, but I saw a show that I think was in the same vein, but different. It would have been around 1986 or so, give or take. It featured the singing cowboys, can-can girls, and comedy. Like so many others, for years we just by-passed it. Never wanted to put the time into it, I guess. I was so happy the first time I saw it. What a show!
    I remember the same show from my first visit to DL at 5. Would have been '83. I have pretty vivid memories of it. It was definitely a great show.

Howdy Pards,

Oh the thrill of bein' in that theater just before the show was about to start...

“Ladies and Gentlemen, from the beautiful Golden Horseshoe in Disneyland, California we’re proud to present the thrilling Golden Horseshoe Revue starring Wally Boag, Donald Novis, Betty Taylor and the gorgeous Golden Horseshoe girls!

And now, Professor LaVere, if you please, the Overture…”

Overture

Hello Everybody!

Betty Taylor:
    "Hello everybody we’re mighty glad to meet you
    here at the Golden Horseshoe.
    Hello everybody we’re mighty glad to greet you
    here at the Golden Horseshoe.
    If you are a stranger, just say “Howdy Stranger,”
    we will soon be friends that way.
    The Welcome Mat is out today
    at the Golden Horseshoe Café."

Donald Novis:
    "Hello everybody from Maine to California
    this is the Golden Horseshoe.
    The show is mighty spicy…
    we thought we oughta warn ya…

Each Chorus girl is a raving beauty
    I love my wife, but, oh you cutie!*

If you are a stranger, just say “Howdy Stranger”,
    we will soon be friends that way.
    The Welcome Mat is out today
    at the Golden Horseshoe Café!"

Both:
    "Oh, the Welcome Mat is out today
    at the Golden Horseshoe Café….
    At the Golden Horseshoe Café…"

(*When Betty would sing this song all by herself she would use this line:

"April, June, or January...
    Who's the one I'm gonna marry?"
    )

Now...we talked a little earlier about that DVD video...and youtube. We maybe shoulda
    mentioned that you can also hear those wonderful voices once again on a CD, if you are lucky enough to find it, called SLUE FOOT SUE'S GOLDEN HORSESHOE REVIEW.

It was also part of a wonderful set released a few years back celebratin' the 50th Anniversary, A MUSICAL HISTORY OF DISNEYLAND.

Boy, am I ever glad I latched on to both of those when I could...lots of wonderful memories.

Wild Ol' Dan
    Last edited by Wild Ol' Dan; 05-30-2012 at 12:44 PM.

• Bring back the Keelboats!

Remember the sing-alongs right before the show started? Right about the time we would finish eating our sandwiches on rye bread (to this day, rye bread reminds me of the Horseshoe!), the screen would slide down and we would be asked to take up the cards on the table that had song lyrics on the inside. We would all sing "Down By the Old Mill Stream" and the like.

Later, weren't the lyrics projected onto the screen along with slides of scenes that fit the songs??? Memory fade going on here....

Hidden Mickey - Historical fiction about Walt that mixes action and mystery with time travel and fantasy! Tweens to adults will enjoy these novels. And now, three gamebooks to play in Disneyland, DCA and WDW Magic Kingdom!

Check out my six action/adventure novels about Walt's lost diary and his epic quest. Visit my blog page!

Sometimes Dead Men DO Tell Tales!

http://wdfmuseum.squarespace.com/sto...=1307643662590
    Howdy HiddenMickeyBook,

Remember the sing-alongs right before the show started? Right about the time we would finish eating our sandwiches on rye bread (to this day, rye bread reminds me of the Horseshoe!), the screen would slide down and we would be asked to take up the cards on the table that had song lyrics on the inside. We would all sing "Down By the Old Mill Stream" and the like.

Later, weren't the lyrics projected onto the screen along with slides of scenes that fit the songs??? Memory fade going on here....
    I sure do remember those pre-show shows. First time they had a feller in there that could play just about every instrument there was...he was full of fun, I sure wish I knew his name...anyways he made the pre-show so good ya wondered how they were ever gonna top it...but they did of course.

And I remember those slides too..."Ladies will please remove their hats." It was kinda amazin' when you think back on it...we all knew those wonderful turn of the century songs like we sang 'em everyday... In The Good Ol' Summertime, Let Me Call You Sweetheart, Take Me Out To The Ball Game, Down By The Ol' Mill Stream....

And, now, here we are way up here in the year 2012...the shows we're rememberin' here happened almost, if not mor'n a half century ago! But...I reckon our memories keep us young in heart...and always will.

Wild Ol' Dan

http://www.loc.gov/exhibits/treasure...s/vc130.4a.jpg
    A few of those slides looked kinda like this as I recall...
    Last edited by NeverNeverland; 05-30-2012 at 01:03 PM.

• Bring back the Keelboats!

Oh, and the 'announcer' that would say things something like: "Your attention, please. Did anyone lose a roll of money held together with a rubber band? We found.... the rubber band."

Hidden Mickey - Historical fiction about Walt that mixes action and mystery with time travel and fantasy! Tweens to adults will enjoy these novels. And now, three gamebooks to play in Disneyland, DCA and WDW Magic Kingdom!

Check out my six action/adventure novels about Walt's lost diary and his epic quest. Visit my blog page!

Sometimes Dead Men DO Tell Tales!

• Hooterville, USA

Last time I saw Wally Boag was at the GH about 7 0r 8 years ago.

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

Howdy Druggas,

What a wonderful photo...

Wild Ol' Dan

Woodland Hills CA - Hottest spot in Los Angeles City Limits

Quote Originally Posted by HiddenMickeyBook View Post
    Oh, and the 'announcer' that would say things something like: "Your attention, please. Did anyone lose a roll of money held together with a rubber band? We found.... the rubber band."
    $64,000 Question: Did the Jungle Cruise steal that one from the Shoe, or vice versa?

--<< Bruce >>--
    There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1

• "I Break Things"

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Bergman View Post
    $64,000 Question: Did the Jungle Cruise steal that one from the Shoe, or vice versa?

--<< Bruce >>--
    There has always been a lot of "sharing" between the rivers, and to some degree the shows. Each attraction will claim they "said it first" but the reality is always murky. I've seen spiels dating back to the 60's that have that joke (63 was official spiel re-write with jokes but most jokes were told starting late 57).

The only time I wasn't a fan of sharing is when WDI would acquire gags and give no credit to the Skips at all. PUSH was our invention.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

Howdy Pards,
    http://images.wikia.com/disney/image...allyBoag1.jpeg

Well now, course, I don't know...but there's been a few rumors goin' around that this here feller, Wally Boag, had quite an influence on fun around Disneyland right from the get go.

http://wdfmuseum.squarespace.com/sto...=1307473412762
    Yep, the way I heard it was that Ol' Walt thought a great deal about this particular Golden Horseshoe Star...

Walt's daughter, Diane wrote this when Wally went on ahead...

“I first ‘met’ Wally at my parents’ glorious 30th anniversary party, July 13, 1955, when he strode on stage at The Golden Horseshoe Saloon with his carpet bag full of gags. It was love at first sight. Like millions of others, including my dad, I never tired of his routine because he was always fresh. Dad loved The Golden Horseshoe Revue. He took all his guests from all over the world to see it, and they loved it. My dad really loved Wally, and those millions of others did too. He had a comic genius, and a wonderful stage presence that many younger comedians studied and emulated. He had a beautiful talent that he shared with all of us, and he was a kind, unpretentious man. We will never forget him.”
    —Diane Disney Miller

Most everybody knows that Steve Martin worked at Disneyland. Here's what he had to say when Wally left us...

"My hero, the first comedian I ever saw live, my influence, a man to whom I aspired, has passed on. Wally Boag."

Yep, I reckon the truth is, Wally Boag was a true Disney Legend in every sense of the word...why, they say, even the birds over there in the Enchanted Tiki Room got a joke or two from Ol' Wally...especially Jose...

Wild Ol' Dan
    Last edited by NeverNeverland; 05-30-2012 at 01:04 PM. Reason: hotlinked pictures removed

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast