Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

• Very Helpful Old Feller

Well, reckon my heart's in Texas but right now I live down N'Olins way...

Re: Fond Memories of the Golden Horseshoe Revue

Quote Originally Posted by Medd63 View Post
    They didn't film any of the first 9,999 shows. They filmed the 10,000th show, and it is available on DVD (at a large price). But they added "special performances" and lengthened the show for the filmed one. From what I have heard it wasn't as good as the first 9,999.

Howdy Pard,

Oh...I don't know...I kinda liked it...a lot.

Truth is, I'm kinda happy to own a copy of that Wonderful World of Color Show from back in '62.
    One of my favorite videos of all time in fact...

Adios for now. Talk to ya on down the trail.

Wild Ol' Dan

---------- Post added 05-29-2012 at 02:43 PM ----------

Howdy Pards,

Here's Betty Taylor and the girls. Ain't they purty!

Wild Ol' Dan
    Last edited by Wild Ol' Dan; 05-29-2012 at 11:45 AM.
    "I can see the cattle grazin' o'er the hills at early morn…
    I can see the campfires smokin’ at the breaking of the dawn,
    I can hear the bronco's neighin', I can hear the cowboys sing,
    I'd like to be in Texas for the Round-up in the Spring."

Howdy Pards,

Well, I finally found this...we were talkin' earlier about those wonderful pre-show sing-a-longs...here's that card we remember:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_3jV5FcVqpE...9%2Binside.jpg

Wild Ol' Dan

---------- Post added 05-29-2012 at 05:00 PM ----------

http://davelandweb.com/goldenhorseshoe/images/70s/CSF_3_76_N27B.jpg

Howdy Pards,

There was just somethin' downright wonderful about watchin' Betty perform up there on that Golden Horseshoe stage. She had such beauty, such grace, such talent.

Oh, how I wish the younguns of today could have known the wonder and magic of it all...

You are lookin' at a true Disney legend, if ever there was one! Over 45,000 shows up there on that stage they say...over three decades of entertainin' the folks. This was true Disneyland magic...a magic us ol' timers will never, ever forget. God Bless this wonderful lady...we treasure our memories of her, and always will, in the good Ol' Golden Horseshoe at Disneyland, U.S.A..

Wild Ol' Dan
    Last edited by penguinsoda; 06-04-2012 at 06:14 PM. Reason: Hotlinked images in violation of site rules

• formerly very helpful

Quote Originally Posted by Wild Ol' Dan View Post
    http://thedisneyblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/GHR-boag-cast4.jpg

Howdy Pards,

Seems like Wally was always pullin' somethin' out of that Travelin' Salesman bag of his...

Wild Ol' Dan
    No wonder Wally looked so happy!
    Last edited by penguinsoda; 06-04-2012 at 06:15 PM. Reason: Hotlinked image in quote

Quote Originally Posted by sbk1234 View Post
    No wonder Wally looked so happy!
    Howdy sbk1234,

Yep, reckon lots of us wanted one of those raccoon skin caps back in those days...
    another thing today's youngun's just ain't got no idea about is just how popular Davy
    Crockett was back in those days...

Or...did you mean all those beautiful Golden Horseshoe girls scattered around?

Wild Ol' Dan

• Bring back the Keelboats!

You found the sing-a-long card! awesome! I wish I had grabbed one in those days. Too afraid of 'stealin', lol, I guess. What a great souvenir!

Hidden Mickey - Historical fiction about Walt that mixes action and mystery with time travel and fantasy! Tweens to adults will enjoy these novels. And now, three gamebooks to play in Disneyland, DCA and WDW Magic Kingdom!

Check out my six action/adventure novels about Walt's lost diary and his epic quest. Visit my blog page!

Sometimes Dead Men DO Tell Tales!

I'm not sure if I saw Wally in the show before he retired from it. But, I'm pretty sure that I saw Betty, and, definitely Fulton. However, I did have the opportunity to hear all of them reminisce and also perform excerpts from the show over the years at NFFC (Now Disneyana Fan Club) conventions, and at the Autry Museum during the Walt Disney's Wild West exhibit run. Betty was also a gracious guest at one of our LA NFFC chapter meetings one time. I'm of the age that I grew up when there were still lots of Westerns on tv, and, while I didn't get to visit Disneyland as a kid, I have fond memories of the Saloon shows at Six Flags Over Texas and Silver Dollar City in Missouri in my youth. (And, being embarrassed as a teenager by getting "picked on" by the saloon girls!) I enjoyed both the original Golden Horseshoe Revue as well as the Jamboree in the years after I moved to CA. I wish they'd bring a saloon show back to the Horseshoe. So much of Frontierland has been lost over the last few years. I'm working on a video compilation of "the Frontierland that used to be" with the video that I've shot over the years.

Besides the poster tribute to the original show on the wall of the Golden Horseshoe, there is also a nice reference on the backdrop curtain on the stage that you can see when the main curtains are open. Thanks for this nice trip down memory lane!

• Fit Cat

Quote Originally Posted by HiddenMickeyBook View Post
    A miner from the Klondike
    Came a strolling in the place,
    With nuggets in his knapsack
    And a beard all down his face.

He said, "A kiss I crave."
    And I said, "Sir! Not...till...you...shave...."
    A lady has to mind her P's and Q's...

A dandy from the city
    With a silk embroidered vest.
    Asked me for a dance
    And pressed me closely to his chest (gasp!)
    He was the freshest man...
    Until I slugged him with my fan...

A Lady has to mind her P's and Q's...

There's danger each hour
    For a delicate flower... like me (like she)
    Though I like you very much,
    You can look, but mustn't touch!
    It's only common sense.
    A case of self-defense.

I walked into the bar one day
    So friendless and alone.
    A played one hand of cards
    For nearly everything I owned.
    The boss man drew a nine...
    And now this Golden Horseshoe's mine...!

A lady has to mind her P's and Q's...

A lady has to mind her P's...
    Her A, B, C, D, E, F, G's...
    A lady has to mind...
    Her P's and Q's...

~~~~~

This is one of the best threads EVER..! I wish I has been able to see this show in its heyday with Wally and Betty and the original show. I have the DL 50th Anniversary CD set, and my daughters and I always enjoy listening to the Golden Horseshoe Review. Thanks so much for putting all this together Wild Ol' Dan... and keep your eyes off'n them there fillies now, ya hear..?
    -Tony

• Disneyland History Lover

Thanks for the amazing posts, Dan. Absolutely fantastic stuff. I wish I would have had the opportunity to see the Golden Horseshoe Review, but alas, I was not around back then and never had the opportunity. Perhaps one day they will bring something similar back to the Golden Horseshoe.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Where should we go next?

Blog Entries

MOD NOTE:
    I just deleted TONS of hotlinked pics in this thread. Just posting a friendly reminder that holinking is against our rules. Below is the FAQ on this matter. Thanks for understanding

When you post information, an image, video or audio file from another source, make sure you are not posting content that is copyrighted. Such materials being shared and distributed without the consent of the person who owns the copyrights to the item in question is not allowed. This includes pictures from other websites. If you wish to discuss a picture, post a link to the site's page that the picture is on, and not the picture itself. Always make sure that you credit the original source of information which is not your own. Finally, check the terms of the site you found the information on - they will usually explain what can and can't be shared and how it should be cited.

MiceChat reserves the right to delete content (or credit it for you), that we feel violates general
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

Tonyrr1, thank you for the rest of the lyrics! I had the last part about the gambler in mind, but couldn't remember how it started!

Guess what song I have playing in my head now? Nope, not complaining!

Hidden Mickey - Historical fiction about Walt that mixes action and mystery with time travel and fantasy! Tweens to adults will enjoy these novels. And now, three gamebooks to play in Disneyland, DCA and WDW Magic Kingdom!

Check out my six action/adventure novels about Walt's lost diary and his epic quest. Visit my blog page!

Howdy Pards,

Well, it's kinda fun ridin' with you folks and rememberin'...

Like I said way back in the original post, today's youngun's just ain't got no idea how wonderful things once was in Frontierland...especially that good ol' Golden Horseshoe Revue.

Wild Ol' Dan
    Last edited by Wild Ol' Dan; 06-03-2012 at 12:51 PM.

Here's a suggestion. Since video of the shows exists (and there is no shortage of talented performers out there to audition), why don't they just recreate the original Golden Horseshoe show, using the best bits from the evolving show? It is, after all, supposed to be Frontierland, a trip back to the past, so shows there have no need to seem current (quite the opposite). And frankly, I prefer the can-can girls to what they've got now (and that tooth-spitting routine never gets old).

Woodland Hills CA - Hottest spot in Los Angeles City Limits

Quote Originally Posted by FredSimmons View Post
    Here's a suggestion. Since video of the shows exists (and there is no shortage of talented performers out there to audition), why don't they just recreate the original Golden Horseshoe show, using the best bits from the evolving show? It is, after all, supposed to be Frontierland, a trip back to the past, so shows there have no need to seem current (quite the opposite). And frankly, I prefer the can-can girls to what they've got now (and that tooth-spitting routine never gets old).
    It wouldn't be hard at all - Several of the performers that were subs or alternates of the original GH and took over the roles for a while at the end are still around. Notably Kirk Wall (Billy Elvis) and Dana Daniels, Hal Ratliff and several other band performers are still around, even some of the Stage Crew are still Disneyland CM's.

They would have to recast a few of the parts, but it would be far easier than you think. I think the main resistance to cloning an exact copy of the original show would be "It's Been Done." And done excellently the first time, to the point where doing a copycat show would be an insult to the memories of Fulton, Betty and Wally.

Unfortunately there would also be resistance from the purists if you took the same basic show premise (three or four acts, and the Can Can Girls) and wrote all new gags and material for it.

Dana Daniels did this all by himself (the other acts "never showed up"so he had to do them all himself) and without the Can Can Girls and it worked, but you can only take that so far.

--<< Bruce >>--
    There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1

Howdy Pards,

Well as for creatin' a whole new show based on the good ol' Golden Horseshoe Revue... I'm all for it. My gosh, I sure do miss those good ol' days...

I believe a good show could be created...usin' some of the old timers...and some new folks. Yessirreebob, it surely could!

Would folks come to see it? Well, that may be hard to tell, at first. Lots of folks these days look at Disneyland as simply a race to the rides, period. To them, shows and parades and such, are simply designed to keep the lines down at Space Mountain, or Splash Mountain, or Big Thunder Mountain, or the Matterhorn...

Still, I think there would be an audience for those wonderful ol' songs and comedy and such...an audience that would grow once the rumor got around that it was a good show just like the good ol' days at Disneyland.

Variety would be the key to the new show, just like it was for the old one. And, findin' folks that sing as good as Betty Taylor or Donald Novis or Fulton Burley may not be that easy to do...but, ya never know unless you try.

Folks are always commentin' on that good ol' Dixieland Jazz...or those Barber Shop Quartets (the Dapper Dans and others) that could, once again be a part of the fun as well.

I wonder if any of you folks remember the Ol' Firehouse 5 Plus 2? Talk about a fun group...

Anyways...

Yep. I think it's a wonderful idea...

Wild Ol' Dan
    Last edited by Wild Ol' Dan; 06-03-2012 at 02:44 PM.

Weren't the Ol' Firehouse 5 Plus 2 animators? I recently saw a great clip (that was a set-up) where Walt left the room and they all brought out their instruments and started 'goofing off.' There is a record album out there, too, I believe.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast